• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wires (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200415-155336_Chrome (resized).jpg
hook switch matrix (resized).png
Screenshot_20200415-103737_Chrome (resized).jpg
hook cabinet inside (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swainer80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

This link might give you a starting point. Since the play field was raised and lowered I would think something going on with the switch matrix.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-slam-tilt-during-mid-game

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Are you running a new ROM chip? My brother had a DE Star Wars and could have sworn it was the ribbons in the backbox causing all his issues. Would throw a slam tilt at the most in opportune times. Replaced the ROM chip with updated code ChadH did and it solved all his problems. So either it was the ROM chip, how it was seated or him bumping enough stuff during the process of installing it that solved the issue.

Yes I am running the new ROM chip with no problems but that is also true for the old ROM trip that was installed prior. If the chip wasn't seated correctly the game would not run at all. The ribbon cables send commands to the display board and sound boards. They are not involved with a switch matrix. In your initial post you stated that the slam tilt switch started acting up after you lifted and lowered the play field. You even said you went so far as to run the diagnostics and the switches were not registering correctly. You also stated that the switches were acting correctly when the playfield is lifted it up. Based on what you've written it sounds obvious your problem is in the switch matrix somewhere.

#7 3 years ago

Try to look at a pinball machine this way. Especially if you have the manual and can see the picture of the mpu board. It circles areas of the board that show what's the primary functions are. There are many systems on a machine. The controlled lights are one system. The coils that fire are another system. All of the switches are a system as well. So they're literally is a physical matrix of wires connected to switches. They plug into the mpu, I believe it is on the bottom right of the board I will have to double-check. There are two sets of wires I believe one is green and the other is white. All the switches interface with that big mpu board and based upon which wires are crossed the game interpret stats as a switch being registered. The game is somehow seeing the slam tilt switch closing when it obviously is not closed. There is something criss-crossing that is causing the game to think that the slam tilt switch is closing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swainer80.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-possessed-by-demons?tu=swainer80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.