pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20220920_163212372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220920_163244348 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220920_163503976 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220920_163239579 (resized).jpg
Hook lamps (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

#Hook

Novice hook owner here, have a tree light inside one of the 3 pop bumpers in the middle of the windcoaster ramp.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions on how to identify the issue or point of failure. The pop bumper itself works, so there's power getting to it, but the light just doesn't light up inside of it.

Thank you for any info, and again very novice at the repairs stuff, learning as I go.

David

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Phern:

Hook
Novice hook owner here, have a tree light inside one of the 3 pop bumpers in the middle of the windcoaster ramp.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions on how to identify the issue or point of failure. The pop bumper itself works, so there's power getting to it, but the light just doesn't light up inside of it.
Thank you for any info, and again very novice at the repairs stuff, learning as I go.
David

Take lots of digital pictures, as you carefully unscrew & un-clip the tree plastics from the tops of the pop bumper(s).
Then you should be able to access & replace the light bulb. (assuming just a burned out bulb)

#3 1 year ago

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. I have tried replacing the bulb, was able to take enough apart to access it. Put a new led in, and still nothing. So if the bulb isn't the point of failure, do you have any other suggestions?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Phern:

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. I have tried replacing the bulb, was able to take enough apart to access it. Put a new led in, and still nothing. So if the bulb isn't the point of failure, do you have any other suggestions?

Do you have the manual? If not go download from IPDB.org.

Page 26 (30) has the lamp matrix with the location layout on the next page.
The 3 bumpers are lamps 54,55,56. If only one lamp is out, and no other lamps are out on that Row... then I would look for either a broken wire or bad LED? (note... some cheap LED's are polarity sensitive... rotate it 180 degrees in the socket and test again)

If all the lamps in a row are out... then next is the drive transistor, which is is labeled next to the wires color code. (example... if all lamps in Row 6 are dead, replace Q77.)

Hook lamps (resized).pngHook lamps (resized).png
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Timerider:

Do you have the manual? If not go download from IPDB.org.
Page 26 (30) has the lamp matrix with the location layout on the next page.
The 3 bumpers are lamps 54,55,56. If only one lamp is out, and no other lamps are out on that Row... then I would look for either a broken wire or bad LED? (note... some cheap LED's are polarity sensitive... rotate it 180 degrees in the socket and test again)
If all the lamps in a row are out... then next is the drive transistor, which is is labeled next to the wires color code. (example... if all lamps in Row 6 are dead, replace Q77.)[quoted image]

Thank you. That is great info.

So it's only the one light out, not a row. I'm attaching some pictures of which it is and the underside. If anyone sees anything off please let me know. I've tested bulbs, rotated, not the issue. Still out. The bumper itself works, so it's getting power. Just not the bulb socket I guess.

PXL_20220920_163212372 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163212372 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163239579 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163239579 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163244348 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163244348 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163503976 (resized).jpgPXL_20220920_163503976 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago

The pop bumper itself, has nothing to do with the lamp & socket. They are separately wired.
You pictures seem to be highlighting the center bumper???
So referencing the Lamp Matrix posted above... that is Lamp 55, being powered by wire colors Red-Violet & Yellow-Violet.

The bumper lamp socket wires are fed by those black wires over to that small connection board.
Check the black wires from the board to the lamp socket.
Possibly a bad diode that the Red-Violet voltage passes thru to the black wire feeding the socket.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-pop-bumper-light-tree-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.