Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 1 year ago

I can't speak on cost for the current times. I am a huge a Hook fan (both movie and pinball) though. Get ChadH code update and the Pinsound board. BEST 2 things that are must haves for the game. The code update fixes issues pinball players have and the pinsound board takes the game to a whole new experience. Hook wasn't my first pinball, but it was the first pinball I wanted. My entire family likes it. Casual company likes it but can't grasp the rules and competitive pinball players don't seem to give it much attention. So for price I wouldn't spend a lot if you are trying to break even by selling it or trading it over time because as great as the game is (ESPECIALLY with the new code and pinsound) I wouldn't bank on Hook becoming a highly sought after machine. But hands down you should get it, I just wouldn't expect to flip it for a profit or easily find buyers who are interested in paying for a high end restored machine.

#19 1 year ago

Chad's code balances the scoring rules that was often a main gripe of competive players. People would keep aiming for the windcoaster ramp to rack up points. Chad's code change log can be found here: https://www.pinballcode.com/hook501 Pinsound allows alternative audio to be played. Trust me, if you are a fan of the movie and looking for Hook, get the Pinsound board. Worse case scenario, if you don't like it (which I guarantee you will love it), you can sell your pinsound board and not take that much if a hit. But if you're going to spend a couple grand on a pinball, set aside the extra 300 bucks or whatever a pinsound board costs and get that as well. Good luck on your hunt!

#21 1 year ago

Levi, I agree for most things a new person isn't going to benefit greatly from a typical scoring update. Chad's code does have some tweaks to help gameplay even a beginner can benefit from, like inserts flashing to indicate what to aim for, adding a few extra animations, increasing ability to earn extra ball, etc. For the cost, I don't think it's that much to put in a new ROM for someone who is seeking a Hook for their first machine. Someone who just wants a pinball machine and has no affinity for the theme, yeah, then I'd say skip it.

Pinsound board? That one I'll die on the hill for. If you like the movie, get the Pinsound board. If you get annoyed by the original call outs. Get the pinsound board. If you literally do not care about music in general and call outs do nothing for you in any game, and your family feels the same... well, then yes, the pinsound board isn't for you. But for any one else, Pinsound for Hook is an add on that actually increases your appreciation/enjoyment of the game.

#23 1 year ago

For the ROM it was super easy. I got ROMs from Matt's Basement https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/hook-data-east-pinball-cpudisplay-rom-upgrade-set/ (and donated to ChadH for taking the time to figure out how to update thr code). To swap out the ROMs you just pry out the old ones and put in the new ones. As longs as the pins are lined up and not bet you just push it into the slot. Takes minutes to do.

Pinsound is easy now that there is files for the game set up. Before it was a headscratcher to get it right. If you are able to move files on a computer it's pretty easy. Putting in the board is straight forward as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-pinball-machine-data-east-approx-cost-estimate?tu=bobwiley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.