• Latest reply 8 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Fully working ones go for around $1000, and that's a hard display to find.
Pass.

People are always throwing out low prices for working pins... Where are you finding them? Not pinside listings, eBay, craigslist or Mr Pinball...

Point me to a working Hook for 1K and I'm in.

There's a company that was making LED displays for these DEs. I'm not sure if they still do and never heard much feedback on them.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

The rgb panels with Lucky's board work withbit , just get 16 size panels instead of 32

Is that confirmed? You might be mistaking its ability to show these small screens for PinMAME setups. There's no way it's as simple as you're making it out to be, even if it can work with a real pin. First: I don't think there are appropriately sized panels. Second: The small DMDs have the DMD board and glass all built into one unit. You'd have to hack a connector from the stock board to any kind of adapter like the PIN2DMD board.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

Its confirmed I did it on rev 1.2 boards with the newest build on p3 panels

Did you have to hack in a connector? Is there an appropriately sized panel? Did you post pics anywhere? I'm just surprised. It hasn't been mentioned in the RGB LED panel threads here, AFAIK.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

U don't hack any connector either , its power from a 5v external ps

I'm talking about for the signal, not power. How is the signal from the game getting to the Pin2DMD board?

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

You need to wake up! There was a Hook on here six months ago, fully working, for $900. I've seen working ones go as high as $1300ish, but a grand is pretty typical.
*edit* it was actually $860 from a reputable guy on here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hook-data-east-1992-1993

I'm sure you would. Put a one and two zeroes in front of that, and we can talk!

That one looks like it sold super quick, meaning people wanted it. I think seeing a good deal come up sometimes across the country is different than the impression I get when people say games are available all day long at X low price.

If this Hook project was within and hour drive from me, I'd be on board. They don't come up for a good price near me as far as I've seen. The working one I bought locally a while ago was $1300, talked down from a $2k listing price. If I have to factor in travel time or shipping, an $800 fully working pin from many states over isn't better than an $1100-$1300 pin next door.

If anyone close to me wants to sell a Hook for 1k, PM me.

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The Displays are impossible to find! That simple. I got lucky after 4 months of searching.

That's simply not the case. A couple new alternatives are apparently available.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those are all 128x32 displays--most games use that size. Hook uses 128x16.

The only place I'm aware of that made 128x16 displays is here: http://shop.pinled.de/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

They were out of stock a couple weeks ago, but it looks like there might be a few available now.

RGB LED panels using the PIN2DMD board and maybe swapping in a Rottendog DMD driver are possibly an alternative, too. Jsong78 in this thread mentioned he's done it for Hook. If true, I'd consider that the way to go. Maybe a little pricey if aftermarket boards have to go in, but you'd get the benefit of colorized palettes, too.

I have a feeling we're going to start seeing the RGB LED panels as DMD replacements for standard DMDs exploding on Pinside soon.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from xbdrabbitx:

It's fine. I'm enjoying the comments and tips. I won't be grabbing this hook for my first pin, no worries.

My advice is play a pin and see what YOU enjoy vs what most others say. I've tended to enjoy owning less popular pins. They can be had cheaper, but I guess that comes with the risk that you'd have a harder time selling later. I enjoyed Hook and would have kept it if it hadn't been part of a trade deal for a pin I wanted more (Super Mario Bros - also a less popular one... )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-pinball-1000?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.