• Latest reply 8 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The Displays are impossible to find! That simple. I got lucky after 4 months of searching.

That's simply not the case. A couple new alternatives are apparently available.

#52 8 years ago
Quoted from xbdrabbitx:

I totally over Hook. Im def not getting it for sure. I was just curious whether or not this is a good buy, and Im pretty sure by now this is not the best deal for sure. Additionally, I am a total noob in Pins for sure. My background is filled with solder work, electrical work, and woodwork, so I'm def not scared to dive in and get my hands dirty, but Im absolutely not familiar with pinball machines yet. I am in the process of picking up a twister pin. It need a little help. battery leaked on the board a bit, and the main multiball feature wont activate, meaning, I cant get the balls to go into the lock, it just goes in and spits back out. I feel resolving the board issue is #1. The rest of the pin is looking pretty good. Its had light play in a home for the last 10 years (with a receipt to prove so). I originally picked it up for 1500, and when I looked at it, I came across these 2 issues, and went home to think it over. After asking you guys here, I bargained her down to 1k, so just waiting for the snow to melt some to go pick it up. I know that lots of people dislike this pin, as bill Paxton's "everybody underground now" line gets old fast, but my wife likes the theme, and that helps. Actually, all the sounds seem to work fine, except when I played, it didn't say that awful line once.. I don't know. But I feel its a decent gamble for 1k. The playfield is dirty as you can expect, but not terrible, and overall in good shape. I dont see any plastics that are broken, and I used the ball to test the targets and switches, and everything seems to work well. Hell only one bulb is burned out (although I want to change to LED anyway). Not a lot of wear, especially when I was looking in the normal wear areas, so I feel pretty good about it... unless someone has something else to advise.. I'm gonna post a pic of the battery damage.

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG

That's going to need some board work, but shouldn't be bad at all for someone who knows what they're doing.

$1000 for a Twister that needs light board work is worlds better than a $1000 Hook with a dead display and other issues. You'll probably have less in this one when everything is said and done, plus you'll have a better game that's worth more.

I would pay $1k for that Twister if it looks nice.

#53 8 years ago

The Displays are impossible to find! That simple. I got lucky after 4 months of searching. But had to put in new rottendog power supply before even attempting to out screen in. Ramps are an issue as pointed out. So with power supply and screen your looking at adding. $450 with shipping min....

Why do people keep saying the displays are impossible to find?

Xpin (http://xpinpinball.com/) makes several types of replacements:

- early Data East DMD
- High voltage DMD
- Low voltage DMD

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

- early Data East DMD
- High voltage DMD
- Low voltage DMD

Where on his site do you see the 1/2-height Data East DMDs? He has all sorts of alphanumeric DE displays, and standard-size DMDs, but not the smaller ones.

#55 8 years ago

Op- save up more money like $500-$1000 more and get yourself a better working better playing game. Buy from a collector who is not a Dbag who needs to try to get a few hundred more than what their pin is worth. A decent shape Hook is a pretty good for the money though.

Once you can get into that $2000 price point a world of pins opens up for you. Don't get discouraged. Patience will be rewarded in the world or pinball. Good luck.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

- early Data East DMD
- High voltage DMD
- Low voltage DMD

A handful of 1st gen DE DMDs used a special 1/2 height smaller sized DMD that are not currently reproduced by anyone.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

- early Data East DMD
- High voltage DMD
- Low voltage DMD

Those are all 128x32 displays--most games use that size. Hook uses 128x16.

The only place I'm aware of that made 128x16 displays is here: http://shop.pinled.de/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

They were out of stock a couple weeks ago, but it looks like there might be a few available now.

#58 8 years ago

If anyone in the Chicagoland area has a Hook for sale... I'm very interested. Or even if I could borrow yours for 6 months. It will be worth it, trust me. It's time for Hook to get the love it needs.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

If anyone in the Chicagoland area has a Hook for sale... I'm very interested. Or even if I could borrow yours for 6 months. It will be worth it, trust me. It's time for Hook to get the love it needs.

Agreed. Code updates and some sound sample shuffling would do wonders for that game. No proprietary audio format either, so easy to swap out the more annoying samples. Its a pretty game to look at and could be improved drastically by simply eliminating the scoring bonus from endlessly looping the main ramp.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those are all 128x32 displays--most games use that size. Hook uses 128x16.

The only place I'm aware of that made 128x16 displays is here: http://shop.pinled.de/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

They were out of stock a couple weeks ago, but it looks like there might be a few available now.

RGB LED panels using the PIN2DMD board and maybe swapping in a Rottendog DMD driver are possibly an alternative, too. Jsong78 in this thread mentioned he's done it for Hook. If true, I'd consider that the way to go. Maybe a little pricey if aftermarket boards have to go in, but you'd get the benefit of colorized palettes, too.

I have a feeling we're going to start seeing the RGB LED panels as DMD replacements for standard DMDs exploding on Pinside soon.

#61 8 years ago

Raspberry Pi Zero + cheapo LCD screen could replace the 128x16 for like$40 if shopped for right. Just gotta interpret the serial connection, that's the non-fun part.

#62 8 years ago

What are the dimensions of the 128x16? There are these inexpensive screens for the Pi that would probably work well, only some sort of serial pass-through would have to be used. http://www.neosecsolutions.com/

I'd imagine it would be best to just utilize the HDMI on the PI. Like using some mini hdmi screen. This is more expensive though: http://www.amazon.com/Tontec®-Raspberry-Display-AT070TN90-Controller/dp/B00G60FJNG/ref=br_lf_m_hy4zb2qgdngo8br_ttl

#63 8 years ago

I stand corrected.

Just received an email from Xpin stating that the 128 x16 DMD has a target date of availability this April (they announced this information at Chicago Expo).

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

I stand corrected.
Just received an email from Xpin stating that the 128 x16 DMD has a target date of availability this April (they announced this information at Chicago Expo).

Cool stuff. That solves the DIY question then. Better to get one of those.

#65 8 years ago

I don't know why we're still discussing this and leading a first time pinner to a Hook. Screen, blah, blah, this game is horrible! New pinled screen, equals more money on bad game, plus last year's product sold out, and is a 3 month wait when they decide to do it. I paid pinled and waited forever for one. Also felt it is anew screen, but poorly made and a little bright.
Skip this game and drain topic.

#66 8 years ago

this game is horrible!

I'm interested in improving this game... just need to get my hands on one.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'm interested in improving this game... just need to get my hands on one.

Sorry Chad, I didn't mean to bash anyone's taste in games. Just don't want a first timer to buy a fixer upper.

#68 8 years ago

I must be in the absolute wrong part of the country. We don't find project solid state games of any kind for under a grand. You folks finding hook projects for under a grand? All we get in that range is EMs. The last couple of days just vids for $950, a 1950s diner and a $2800 Corvette Pinball on CL. I'd take a project Hook any day and find a way to resurrect it.

#69 8 years ago

By the way gang....if someone wants a screen pm me. I got 3 in my search to get my Turtles working. I have NOS from a Star Trek, one with 5 lines out on the left side, and brand new untouched pinled.
I also have display roms for ST, AND TURTLES.

#70 8 years ago

It's fine. I'm enjoying the comments and tips. I won't be grabbing this hook for my first pin, no worries.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from xbdrabbitx:

It's fine. I'm enjoying the comments and tips. I won't be grabbing this hook for my first pin, no worries.

My advice is play a pin and see what YOU enjoy vs what most others say. I've tended to enjoy owning less popular pins. They can be had cheaper, but I guess that comes with the risk that you'd have a harder time selling later. I enjoyed Hook and would have kept it if it hadn't been part of a trade deal for a pin I wanted more (Super Mario Bros - also a less popular one... )

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from xbdrabbitx:

I took your advice, and just because, I offered him $500, and I'll pick it up this weekend. I told him that the display is difficult to find and thats why he should lower his price. His response was golden and typical..
"I found several displays in 30 sec. 1,000 is the lowest and its a steal you wont find another one close to that price. Honestly have 2 coming on Saturday to look at it so 1,000 first come first serve"
BullSh*t. That's such a typical response to have 2 people "look" at it. Hopefully they don't get suckered. I figured 1k wasn't too bad if you guys had some tips or resources to get a display, but nevermind.
I told him "If you can find a display so easily, why don't you buy one and fix it yourself? Cause everywhere I look they are out of stock buddy. Offer stands until sunday night."
I don't even want it. ryandimx must have found him on the same app I did. I didn't see it on any usual outlets.
PASS

Almost word for word what he said to me then he sent me some links for a company in California and one on ebay in Great Britain.
I've been checking that app for a few months and it's all crazy over priced games. Haven't found anything worth getting yet.

#73 8 years ago

Yeah. Any outlet is worth a try.

#74 8 years ago

Not to mention the ad says "price negotiable". Bull. What did you offer him?

#75 8 years ago

I offered 700 or trade. He told me to list things to trade. I asked if he wanted a 2 year old.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

I stand corrected.

I hope this actually happens. I've seen pictures of the prototype, so I know it's really in process, but they told me April of last year too. This will be a great thing!

#78 8 years ago

Definitely a great thing. My DMD still works (knock on wood) in my Checkpoint and will buy this 'when' my Cherry DMD finally kicks the bucket. Although there is the pinled still available (USD to Euro is quite attractive right now so would suggest to buy at a European vendor right now).

#79 8 years ago

Anyone end up getting this?

#80 8 years ago

I passed. guy is an A**hole.

#81 8 years ago

Good. Try get save a little more bank to put towards your first pin. Every $100 saved gets you more options for your first one. You can't go wrong with a top 100 BW for $2000ish pin like T2, HS2, WCS, WW, ES, JD, DW, Taxi, BR, BK2000, JM, or Diner. Also - Do not want to get into a debate that you can't find a WW for $2000ish or BK2000 is a horrible first pin.

Pick a theme that you kind of like. Get a wish list and buy the first reasonable one that comes up in your area. Get to know some of the local guys and they will help you. A lot of pins are sold behind the scenes. Craigslist sucks and waiting around for pinside listings may work or delay your hunt, so get proactive and you will be rewarded.

#82 8 years ago

You're in delaware. Go to allentown show in may and you can get a great working pin at a good price. Take your time and play a few to see what you like. just my 2 cents

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryphun:

I stand corrected.

If you go to their new site they have it listed but no stock. The price is $399. I'm hoping that is just a place holder... but thats wishful thinking.

#84 8 years ago

I am just going to stick my head in here and defend Hook. It isn't nearly as bad as people say it is. We picked up one for next to nothing in a package deal. Cleaned it up and put it on location. It has been a lot of fun and have had a lot of people remark on how fun they thought it was after all they have ever heard is how bad it is. Layout is pretty fun and the rules aren't terrible. If it had more of a mode progression it would be a lot more popular I think. The sound is annoying however, I will say that

#85 8 years ago

Yeah Hook has a pretty good layout but the rules need a vast improvement. ChadH is actually looking for one so he can do a full rewrite of the rules, if anyone knows of a seller.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/30970

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-pinball-1000/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.