• 85 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Got a guy wants to sell his hook pinball machine for 1k. Says it needs a servo motor for the left flipper and the display bar (dreaded). What do you guys think. I haven't checked it out because I see it may be too difficult to get a display for it. What do you think

#2 4 years ago

Haha, servo motor for the flippers? Flipper mechs don't use motors. Sounds like this guy doesnt know anything about pinball machines, so there is probably more wrong with it than what he mentioned. 1k is a bad price at all, but it all depends on how much work you are going to have to put into it to get it playable again. I have also heard those displays are almost impossible to find. If it were me, I would pass.

#3 4 years ago

Fully working ones go for around $1000, and that's a hard display to find.

Pass.

#4 4 years ago

Tell the owner that "replacement flipper servo motors" are running like $500 these days and the screen is borderline impossible to fetch (also my biggest concern when I considered a DE Hook) but still a few hundo when you can get one. Offer him $300.

Either you'll get super lucky, or he will get pissy at the lowball at which point you ask him to find a cheaper flipper servo motor and get back to you, so at least you get to mess with him a bit.

#5 4 years ago

I've got a flipper servo motor I'll sell you for $200. Easy fix!! And if you need a new display, I can also run a normal DMD through the table saw to cut it down to size for you...

#6 4 years ago

Technically, just because the display isn't lighting up, doesn't automatically mean the display is shot. Could be a problem on the display board, a connector issue, and yes, even a fuse. But yes, when you're looking at a game with a display not lighting, figure on the worst case scenario.

#7 4 years ago

I'm not sure what this guy is specifically talking about. I'm new to pins, and really excited about it too, but with that lacks knowledge. So I turn to the forums and ask how you guys feel about it. Hook has a cool theme, but I know that the display, if bad, is difficult to find.

#8 4 years ago

If the cabinet, playfield and ramps are nice then take a stab at it. I wouldn't give him a hard time about the dead flipper, but I would mention the cost of getting that display replaced. Maybe he'll come down to $600-$700.

#9 4 years ago
#10 4 years ago

Flipper servo motor

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Pass.

People are always throwing out low prices for working pins... Where are you finding them? Not pinside listings, eBay, craigslist or Mr Pinball...

Point me to a working Hook for 1K and I'm in.

There's a company that was making LED displays for these DEs. I'm not sure if they still do and never heard much feedback on them.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Pass.

Wake up!! That was 4 years ago.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Pass.

If that is true, I'll take your Bad Cats for $800.

#14 4 years ago

Bad Cats is a $400 game folks

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

There's a company that was making LED displays for these DEs. I'm not sure if they still do and never heard much feedback on them.

http://shop.pinled.de/product_info.php?cPath=7_54&products_id=30

Xpin supposed to had finished one last year, but I don't know what happened.

#16 4 years ago

Where's it at? I'll buy it for $500 and fix everything. The screen is a impossible task, even if problem is on the board. Took me forever to get one for my Turtles.

#17 4 years ago

The rgb panels with Lucky's board work withbit , just get 16 size panels instead of 32

Check the rope lights and ramps as there are normally broken.

I paid 1200 for mine 1 year ago

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

The rgb panels with Lucky's board work withbit , just get 16 size panels instead of 32

Is that confirmed? You might be mistaking its ability to show these small screens for PinMAME setups. There's no way it's as simple as you're making it out to be, even if it can work with a real pin. First: I don't think there are appropriately sized panels. Second: The small DMDs have the DMD board and glass all built into one unit. You'd have to hack a connector from the stock board to any kind of adapter like the PIN2DMD board.

#19 4 years ago

Data east has notoriously flaky fuse clips on the power supply. Could be something very simple. I had one out on a TMNT. I put a rottendog power supply in it and it came back.

As for value hook has gone up some since the $1000 days. I sold mine for $1400 and it was a nice reimport. It needed shopped but was still pretty clean.

#20 4 years ago

Its confirmed I did it on rev 1.2 boards with the newest build on p3 panels

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

Its confirmed I did it on rev 1.2 boards with the newest build on p3 panels

Did you have to hack in a connector? Is there an appropriately sized panel? Did you post pics anywhere? I'm just surprised. It hasn't been mentioned in the RGB LED panel threads here, AFAIK.

#22 4 years ago

I cut my speaker panel , wanted it to size with current dmds .p3 panels are almost there , p2.5 panels would be the current size.
I'm currently CNC frame to hold panels now , post in a few
I don't post results here because lucky work is based on the VP forums and not here , some people trying to run off with here .

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

People are always throwing out low prices for working pins... Where are you finding them? Not pinside listings, eBay, craigslist or Mr Pinball...
Point me to a working Hook for 1K and I'm in.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Wake up!! That was 4 years ago.

You need to wake up! There was a Hook on here six months ago, fully working, for $900. I've seen working ones go as high as $1300ish, but a grand is pretty typical.

*edit* it was actually $860 from a reputable guy on here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hook-data-east-1992-1993

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If that is true, I'll take your Bad Cats for $800.

I'm sure you would. Put a one and two zeroes in front of that, and we can talk!

#24 4 years ago

U don't hack any connector either , its power from a 5v external ps

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

You need to wake up! There was a Hook on here six months ago, fully working, for $900. I've seen working ones go as high as $1300ish, but a grand is pretty typical.

Im with you on this ... its a hook for crying out loud , one of the worst dmd games . Ive seen many nice ones sit for 1250 . Ive passed on them for under 1k bc its pretty bad lol.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

U don't hack any connector either , its power from a 5v external ps

I'm talking about for the signal, not power. How is the signal from the game getting to the Pin2DMD board?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Im with you on this ... its a hook for crying out loud , one of the worst dmd games . Ive seen many nice ones sit for 1250 . Ive passed on them for under 1k bc its pretty bad lol.

I feel this way as well, although I think it's a fun enough game.

Just because SOMEONE may pay $1,000 for a project hook with possibly very expensive needs doesn't mean you have to be the one to do it.

#28 4 years ago

I spoke to him a few days ago. He won't budge on the $1000

#29 4 years ago

HOOK ,HOOK, HOOK, nice looking machine but gets old quick.

#30 4 years ago

I would pass for now unless can get for 700-800

Xpin and another company (forgot the name) make the smaller DMD display - so I'm told.

#31 4 years ago

Agreed, but hook is the game you get your wife into pinball with , in my collection I always have someone's girl playing it , games a chick magnet

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

Agreed, but hook is the game you get your wife into pinball with , in my collection I always have someone's girl playing it , games a chick magnet

Really? In my house, it's Bad Cats and Fish Tales, along with maybe World Cup, that draw women.

#33 4 years ago

Start another forum - put it up for vote

#34 4 years ago

Don't do it..take a pass. There are plenty of pinball machines. You don't need a project pin that needs a screen and power supply.

#35 4 years ago

I took your advice, and just because, I offered him $500, and I'll pick it up this weekend. I told him that the display is difficult to find and thats why he should lower his price. His response was golden and typical..
"I found several displays in 30 sec. 1,000 is the lowest and its a steal you wont find another one close to that price. Honestly have 2 coming on Saturday to look at it so 1,000 first come first serve"
BullSh*t. That's such a typical response to have 2 people "look" at it. Hopefully they don't get suckered. I figured 1k wasn't too bad if you guys had some tips or resources to get a display, but nevermind.
I told him "If you can find a display so easily, why don't you buy one and fix it yourself? Cause everywhere I look they are out of stock buddy. Offer stands until sunday night."
I don't even want it. ryandimx must have found him on the same app I did. I didn't see it on any usual outlets.
PASS

#36 4 years ago

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from xbdrabbitx:

I'm new to pins, and really excited about it too, but with that lacks knowledge.

This right here is a red flag. Pass on the hook. Buy a working machine for your first. The learning curve for pins is pretty high.

#38 4 years ago

Yeah, Hook is one of the cheapest DMDs you can buy. Check Point, Shaq, FTBH, SFII, the list goes on and on... I would value a VERY nice one at 1200. You shouldn't be paying more than 800 for a project Hook, or any of the aforementioned machines.

#39 4 years ago

Didn't read this thread all the way, but the ramp's condition would be more important than the other issues. The ramp gets busted in the top right corner because of the very tight turn. The ball slams into it and causes it to break. Those ramps are almost impossible to find.

#40 4 years ago

Flipper servo motor... Oh please. It's obviously the fetzer valve. Just get some gauze pads and some 3 in 1 oil and it will be fine.

#41 4 years ago

Looks like you don't own a machine yet? I think decent pins are hard to find. $1000 is not all that crazy for a hook as described. You should get over there as fast as you can and offer him $800 cash and take it home then. If he sticks to $1000 then load it up it welcome to the hobby and maybe you'll get lucky and be able to fix the issues. At $1000 you won't get hurt to bad and you will have a decent cheap machine to work on play and enjoy.

#42 4 years ago

I personally wouldn't buy the machine for $1k. There are several other awesome games at that price point.

I'd go looking for a Striker Extreme or a Waterworld before a spending $1k on a borked Hook.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Looks like you don't own a machine yet? I think decent pins are hard to find. $1000 is not all that crazy for a hook as described. You should get over there as fast as you can and offer him $800 cash and take it home then. If he sticks to $1000 then load it up it welcome to the hobby and maybe you'll get lucky and be able to fix the issues. At $1000 you won't get hurt to bad and you will have a decent cheap machine to work on play and enjoy.

This is pretty bad advice. It's not a "decent pin" it's a game that doesn't work and has untold number of issues. This guy is a total newbie and doesn't need to get mired in a pit like that.

People should buy a working game for their first pin, even if it's dirty and and needs rubbers changed etc. Things will break one by one soon enough and that person can learn how to fix problem by problem instead of diving headfirst into a total project. Pins aren't THAT hard to find, and bargain-hunting on a fixer-upper really isn't the way to go for someone just getting into it, unless they have a friend/neighbor who is more than happy to hold their hand through the whole refurbishing process.

#44 4 years ago

I shopped a Hook out last year and the gameplay gets old pretty quickly, not to mention the callouts really started getting on my nerves. Pansy theme too.

#45 4 years ago

I would have no problem plunking 1k+ for a Hook WITH the animated backglass.

The game it just a visual masterpiece.

#46 4 years ago

its worth a grand just maybe not for you

#47 4 years ago

I totally over Hook. Im def not getting it for sure. I was just curious whether or not this is a good buy, and Im pretty sure by now this is not the best deal for sure. Additionally, I am a total noob in Pins for sure. My background is filled with solder work, electrical work, and woodwork, so I'm def not scared to dive in and get my hands dirty, but Im absolutely not familiar with pinball machines yet. I am in the process of picking up a twister pin. It need a little help. battery leaked on the board a bit, and the main multiball feature wont activate, meaning, I cant get the balls to go into the lock, it just goes in and spits back out. I feel resolving the board issue is #1. The rest of the pin is looking pretty good. Its had light play in a home for the last 10 years (with a receipt to prove so). I originally picked it up for 1500, and when I looked at it, I came across these 2 issues, and went home to think it over. After asking you guys here, I bargained her down to 1k, so just waiting for the snow to melt some to go pick it up. I know that lots of people dislike this pin, as bill Paxton's "everybody underground now" line gets old fast, but my wife likes the theme, and that helps. Actually, all the sounds seem to work fine, except when I played, it didn't say that awful line once.. I don't know. But I feel its a decent gamble for 1k. The playfield is dirty as you can expect, but not terrible, and overall in good shape. I dont see any plastics that are broken, and I used the ball to test the targets and switches, and everything seems to work well. Hell only one bulb is burned out (although I want to change to LED anyway). Not a lot of wear, especially when I was looking in the normal wear areas, so I feel pretty good about it... unless someone has something else to advise.. I'm gonna post a pic of the battery damage.

IMG_3577_(resized).JPG

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

That one looks like it sold super quick, meaning people wanted it. I think seeing a good deal come up sometimes across the country is different than the impression I get when people say games are available all day long at X low price.

If this Hook project was within and hour drive from me, I'd be on board. They don't come up for a good price near me as far as I've seen. The working one I bought locally a while ago was $1300, talked down from a $2k listing price. If I have to factor in travel time or shipping, an $800 fully working pin from many states over isn't better than an $1100-$1300 pin next door.

If anyone close to me wants to sell a Hook for 1k, PM me.

#49 4 years ago

The Displays are impossible to find! That simple. I got lucky after 4 months of searching. But had to put in new rottendog power supply before even attempting to out screen in. Ramps are an issue as pointed out. So with power supply and screen your looking at adding. $450 with shipping min....

#50 4 years ago

The guy selling Hook just finally replied "because I'm selling it I obvs don't want it". I don't think I can buy a pinball from someone who uses the abbreviation "obvs" while negotiating a sale..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Apple Valley, CA
$ 249.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 229.00
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside