IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I know there are at least a few of us who like this game, so let's celebrate this under-rated gem.

Since it's a club, let's keep the negative opinions out.

This can be a good place to discuss Hook, share mods, and ask for technical assistance.

I haven't had the game long, but am really enjoying it. I've bought Cliffys, but will have to build up my Skull hole before I can install that one.

I've added illuminated flipper buttons, Cliffy colored post sleeves, and some blue star posts under the slingshot plastics. I'm not sure if mine had stock hardware, but the metal posts it had under the plastics were ugly. I may end up replacing the other metal posts around the game.

I tried adding a few pics, but my phone doesn't like it. I'll get some uploaded when I get a chance.

#4 9 years ago

Here's a few pics of my mods.

Once I finish up my T-REX mod for JP, I've got some ideas for a few things that could be improved on Hook.

IMG_20140328_201905.jpgIMG_20140328_201905.jpg
IMG_20140328_201913.jpgIMG_20140328_201913.jpg
IMG_20140328_201832.jpgIMG_20140328_201832.jpg

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from cigarbob:

sold it a week ago

Your Hook Club membership is revoked!

I'm new enough to the hobby and apparently have enough room, though my fiancee might beg to differ, that I haven't had to sell or trade anything. I imagine no matter what title, I'll have some kind of seller's remorse, but hopefully it means a new exciting pin to take its place.

#10 9 years ago

Has anyone looked into chaser light mods? I bet it wouldn't be too hard to change to another color, like blue. Could be cool with RGB leds...

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from MattBunk:

I think (and maybe I'll open a thread on it) Hook is a ruleset rewrite away from being a much higher ranked game. I think it has some fun shots could certainly be challenging if you were prompted to hit things in different series and combinations.

I invite you to discuss a change in rules here. We'd have to get someone like ChadH of Star Wars and currently JP fame on board. I bet he'll want a break after JP, though! I think a challenge might be that many of the scores or whatever are listed on the PF, so I don't think it would be good to rewrite anything that changes the specific scores, but maybe rather the way you score. Like maybe hit the right ramp, hit the skull, and hit the ball lock to light up the 3 Million on the windcoaster for a couple seconds.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from MattBunk:

Exactly.
I'm newer to the forums. Do people care that much about the scoring? They're making me feel stupid in another post because I asked about karma points and they say nobody cares about them.

I honestly don't know what the specific complaints about Hook are, but I guess if we're going down that road, it maybe should be in another thread or people may just start trashing Hook here. I guess if you're going to say something you don't like, you have to pair it with something you do like!

I love the ramps and the shots on this game. I really like the left outlane kickback and that you can reactivate it by hitting the correct target. I like that activating multiball isn't too difficult, but even if you activate it, landing the skill shots isn't a given, so you might not even come out with 3 balls every time. I love the skill shot!

I'm curious what plunger spring people use. I think I'm on a standard spring, but the tension feels too high. The slightest pull back can result in the ball shooting all the way past the third hole in the skill shot, so there's very little variation in plunger movement between the 3 shots and an all out miss for me. Are people using the lightest springs available (Blue?)?

I'm still pretty new to the game, and really only have JP to compare it to. Hook seems to have some similar rules going on. Both have you start a mode by locking it in with one shot and activating it with another. They both have a main multiball mode that gives you specific jackpot objectives. I guess JP's modes are a bit more robust and have some progressive goals. The Tri-ball on JP has a progression to 6 ball (not an option in Hook), and I guess there's the ultimate objective of System Shutdown, but I'm not sure whether or not Hook has an ultimate objective.

1 week later
#36 9 years ago
Quoted from KillyKillall:

What kind of stuff do you have?

He has a separate thread here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-data-east-hook-plastics-and-various-used-hook-parts#post-1582862

I bought some of the stuff, so I can vouch for rstrunks.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hook has been suggested to me several times now. I don't own a Hook and have only played it very little so I am unfamiliar with the rules... but any suggestions for changes posted to this thread to make the game better would, at the very least, be filed away for future reference.

With your current track record, but maybe especially after the JP changes, it seems like you could drum up enough support to crowd source your purchase of a Hook... I'd donate!

Having said that, I suppose there would need to be some constructive conversation about what should change. I currently have a difficult time thinking of anything.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well the big ramp is obvious.

Not to me... What's the issue?

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well you can spam the ramp for increasing millions... Where have we seen that one before?

Maybe I'm just a terrible player, but I don't seem to be able to keep making that shot consecutively up to the 3 million very often.

I'm still pretty new to pinball, so is that something seen in another game?

2 months later
#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

Man, if you bring your insane sculpting skills to, say... Skull rock or that crazy plastic on the left hand side of the cabinet (what is that thing supposed to be anyway!!?) that'd be great!
Glad to see someone put normal star posts on the slings. That was going to be the first thing I did after adjusting the leaf switches on the slings. Glad to see they fit without problems. These black posts look sort of ...budget.

Yeah, I don't know what that thing on the left is supposed to be... the side of a ship? It would look better if it actually looked like a ship and the 3 lit messages were inside portholes or something. Maybe some cannons pointing out over the cannon targets?

The skull is also a potential area of improvement.

We'll see what I can come up with. It will be some time before I get around to it and no guarantees I'll be interested in reproducing anything for sale. I may learn my lesson with my T-REX mod...

Star posts definitely work for the sling shots and look way better. I assume as long as they were the same height, they'd work everywhere else in the game that has the ugly metal ones. I think good options for colors would be red, yellow, and blue... maybe green.

1 year later
#234 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

This will be the most wonderful thing!!!!

I'm going to need my game back!

3 months later
#537 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

remove the pity multiball.

Except it's one of the lights on the skill shot. If pity multiball is the only time that light comes on, it would be a shame to lose it. Maybe make a rule that allows skillshot multiball to be activated otherwise?

2 weeks later
#569 7 years ago

Is dmbjunky going to end up with the Hook I owned?

I bought it from a guy in Louisville, and later traded it to a different guy in Louisville who traded it to agodfrey who contacted me based on pics in the first post here to confirm if it was mine.

It's been interesting keeping track of it even though I didn't intend to. Maybe I'll get it back some day.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Did you ever make the mods you were thinking of in the beginning?
I think it would be cool to have a gator clock toy somewhere that could count along with it's mode.

No, and I have absolutely zero motivation now that I don't own the game anymore.

4 weeks later
#634 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Chad,
Really appreciate everything that you are doing in writing this code and making this game better. What can we do to help contribute to your efforts? Earlier, you had mentioned that you were looking for a ROM burner. Is this something that we can contribute to you?
Thanks,
--Matt

He has a burner. I won't speak for him, but I took it to mean he was asking for volunteers who have a burner and Hook so they can test on their end by simply being emailed the rom files rather than having to mail out burned chips.

Here's his site with a donation button if you like what he does:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus
Lighting
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Led
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider winteriscoming.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back?tu=winteriscoming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.