IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shicketmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#381 7 years ago

Any word on the right ramp reproduction being discussed about 6-9 months ago?

1 month later
#417 7 years ago

First pin. Just bought a month ago for $900 (playable/home use for last decade/ clearly routed before that) and decided to go all out with the repairs/upgrades. Loved this machine in the 90s and never imagined having a pinball machine in my home. New topper, new glass, new translite, rebuilt flippers, led's throughout, led flipper buttons, speaker lights, new plastic for dmd, new flipper fidelity speakers, new knocker, replaced all rubber(black), new rottendog power, new rottendog play field power, new rottendog flipper board, pin sound upgrade, side mirrors, new yellow plastics, polished field, repaired ramps (Mylar/super glue/bondo), replaced several sockets, leg protectors, wire gate for skill shot area, replaced several coil bushings, replaced broken arm mech on skill shot, cliffy protectors, new post protectors at ramp entries (my mod to protect my fragile ramps), cleaned all plastics, and new John Williams Return to Neverland music after "what would the world be like without Captain Hook?". Could never sell for what I've got in it now, but learned so much from the experience. This one's never leaving the future collection. Previous owner wouldn't recognize it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#420 7 years ago

Thanks. If only the rottendog and pin sound boards were more compatible, I'd be over the moon. I'm getting some sound cutout during multiball, but it's tolerable.

#423 7 years ago

I've sent a message to Rottendog. Everything on the forums seems to be about the DPS004 board. It appears to me that the newer DPS005 board has resistor in the jumper position to be unregulated without making any changes. I don't know if they made the change with their newer revision because of the problems that people were reporting with the DPS004. However, I can't say for certain that it is already set to unregulated because the schematic that they send with the DPS005 board is the DPS004 schematic and I can't find a DPS005 schematic.

#425 7 years ago

Other troubleshooting issues. I'm open to any suggestions.

1) I initially installed a Rottendog MPU along with all of my other changes and the Pinsound board worked initially. Then after turning the machine off, it would only work randomly. It appears that the Rottendog MPU and the Pinsound board don't always communicate. I contacted PinSound and they are working on a firmware update to make the board more responsive to recognizing the Rottendog MPU each time since I wasn't the only person with this problem. So, I repaired my Data East MPU board and switched back for the interim. That board works with the PinSound board every time. So clearly there is a compatibility issue between the Rottendog MPU and the PinSound board based on that troubleshooting. Just mentioning that here in case anybody else runs into the same problem.

2) I've noticed that my rope lights don't work exactly as they should when I go into test mode or when the machine is running. They operate as OFF/OFF/1/2&3 SIMULTANEOUSLY instead of OFF/1/2/3. I've seen posts about this that talk about a short between two of the strands causing this problem in addition to posts about the driver board for those lights getting fried. However, this is the strange part. When the Rottendog MPU board was in the backbox, the rope lights worked exactly as they should OFF/1/2/3 without doing anything to the lights or to the special board for the rope lights. As soon as I went back to the Data East board, it was back to OFF/OFF/1/2&3 SIMULTANEOUSLY. That makes me think that there isn't a short or a problem with the special board but instead there is a problem in my Data East MPU board.

3) When I received the pin, the knocker had been disconnected and the coil was sitting in the bottom (without any of the rest of the knocker mechanism). The coil had a melted coil sleeve in it. I purchased a new knocker and installed it and it worked fine. Of course, I had already replaced my power supply with Rottendog and the playfield power supply with rottendog before I ever tried this new knocker. However, since I've been having the sound cutout problem with my pinsound board, I decided to put my old data east power supply back in to see if the cutout problem went away. This would tell me if there was the regulated/unregulated 12v issue causing my sound problems. However, with the old power supply back in, the knocker went crazy and started pounding away nonstop from the moment I hit the start button to try it all out. I turned the machine off and on and had the same problem again, so I just took the data east power supply out and put the rottendog back it and then the problem was gone.

What do you think?

#428 7 years ago

That sounds like a very logical answer. That will keep me from spending time fooling around with the buffer/driver board or with the rope lights. I don't think that the rope lights on there right now are the originals since the connectors from the rope to the coaster ramp aren't original. But, that might just mean that the coaster ramp was replaced before with the same old rope lights. Regardless, the fact that they were working with the new rottendog MPU makes me think there isn't a short there any longer. Let me know if you think differently.

Hopefully, pinsound can figure out the communication issue with the rottendog MPU and I can just switch back to the new board to solve the rope light problem.

If not, is there something on the original data east MPU board that I can replace to correct the problem?

#431 7 years ago

Yes, I've been swapping the roms between the boards. Unfortunately, no logic probe or scope. I'm okay soldering coils and lamp sockets, and I did solder a new battery box to the board, but I don't know that I've got the skills to pull and socket the chip. Hopefully, PinSound can correct the compatibility issue with the Rottendog MPU and then I'll have someone else take a look at the Data East board.

#441 7 years ago

Sounds well thought out and within all the rules of the play field. Super excited to see all of these changes.

#447 7 years ago

Advice? It appears that when the correct rope light strand is supposed to light that the output for that pin from the MPU board changes from 5v to .1v

My pins do this:

Off: 5v, 5v, 5v
Strand 1 logic: .4v, .4v, 5v causing strands 1 and 2 to light
Strand 2 logic: .4v, .4v, 5v causing strands 1 and 2 to light
Strand 3 logic: 5v, 5v, 0.1v causing strand 3 to light correctly

I traced this back across capacitors and RA3 back to pins 10,11,12 on the 7segment PIA chip which is putting out the same erroneous voltages during strand 1 and 2 logic

I put a new 7 segment PIA chip in and have same problem. Not sure how to trace further back from here.

#456 7 years ago

Figured out my stupid rope light problem. I pulled my MPU board to reflow the battery holder that I must have done a bad job installing (because it started telling me to open the coin door again), and while I had the board out, I noticed a shorted connection that was combining 2 of the outputs such that if either one was on, they were both on. Now it's all fixed. Hopefully, there isn't some problem that is actually draining my batteries too quickly.

#459 7 years ago

Thanks, I'll look into that.

#469 7 years ago

This sounds much better to play. The timers are too short since they start before you even get a chance to score and scoring in general is so hard in this game. I don't have any idea how the default high scores are so high.

1 week later
#488 7 years ago

Chad, I've noticed that sometimes when the right scoop tosses an unplayable ball straight down the drain, it lets you shoot again and other times it doesn't. My scoop is erratic and throws right down the drain about 30% of the time even after I cleaned it and put a new sleeve in the coil. I doubt this was the intended design but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Is it possible to make it always let you try again if the scoop drains it down the middle with no other sensors getting activated?

#493 7 years ago

Thanks Chad,

I think the added time would help. In the meantime, I need to figure out why mine is so erratic.

#499 7 years ago

As long as turning off attract mode keeps the sound from playing for LW3 then I'm fine with that. Otherwise, it created a problem if you have a pinsound card.

If attract mode is on when you have a pinsound card, it plays the last music when the game ends in an endless loop unless you set a sleep timer. But attract mode sounds including the LW3 promo reset the sleep timer. It's really a pinsound problem, but I can't find a solution other than killing attract mode.

#506 7 years ago

I will have some new ones in July. I'm not willing to part with them but I'm willing to scan them.

#511 7 years ago

Getting them from another pinsider, but it was all he had after selling his machine. Unfortunately, not a supplier for me to provide to you.

1 week later
#521 7 years ago

I believe you are correct about accessing the rear GI.

#528 7 years ago

Straight from the movie

#540 7 years ago

Are we saying that skill shot 1 will no longer be the start of 2 ball multiball? That doesn't have anything to do with the gate being there. I know it only comes up if you are playing poorly, but I think it's worthwhile. You can even turn it into 3 ball multiball with a lock shot followed by a ramp shot. I never have to deal with the other scenario of a ball stuck and waiting for ball search because I added the gate.

I vote for keeping skill shot one as multiball instead of trying to fix the gate problem. Clearly the machine is supposed to have a gate.

3 weeks later
#575 7 years ago

It's normal if your score is poor

#577 7 years ago

Instead of being a pity ball how about just making it appear a random 10% of the time. Same with skill shot 1.

#593 7 years ago

So, I finally got the angle right on my playfield to speed up the game at least to where it's designed to be and now my drains are worse than ever coming from the power scoop. I know the new code from Chad will help, but I also want this to work better. I've removed it, cleaned it, replaced the coil sleeve, replaced the arm, and ensured everything is tight on reinstall and problem persists. Any recommendations? Only thing I can think is replace the coil and consider purchasing a more powerful one if I do. It drains 50%, just catches the edge of the left flipper 20%, and goes to better spot on left flipper or to left slingshot 30% of the time.

#594 7 years ago

If I rewax the playfield, it's better for about a week.

#596 7 years ago

I'll double check that the coil is correct. I tried the adjustment and didn't see any improvement, which makes me think a stronger coil may not be the answer. I'd like to replace the power scoop itself, but can't find one online.

#599 7 years ago

The skull feeds to the power scoop on the right

#600 7 years ago

Haven't tried the lower power. I wish you could adjust the power to just one coil. I don't want to slow down the rest of the game.

#601 7 years ago

Whirlwind is another story. That scoop is just poorly designed, but your right that at least it doesn't send it down the drain when it barely pops out.

#603 7 years ago

Maybe, but it is also limited by the subway ramp coming from the skull. I'll work on this some more tonight and give an update.

#616 7 years ago

NeedHelp....I'm getting a popping sound through my speakers that is synchronized to the rapid flashing of the LEDs. Not the flashing that makes you think your going to have a seizure from the GI lighting but instead the flashing of the skill shot lights or the flashing of the scoop target lighting. I have flipper fidelity speakers and a pinsound board. I used to have a similar problem related to the rope lights but I fixed a short and then the popping sound went away. I'm not talking about the data east hum either, this is a distinct pop with every flash.

Thanks

2 weeks later
#620 7 years ago

The newest rottendog is good. They fixed the the inadequate voltage problem that people were having to fix on their own. Works well in my Hook.

1 week later
#639 7 years ago

So excited...

#651 7 years ago

The flipper coils are supposed to be different. It's a stronger coil used on the right for the wind coaster ramp. I don't have the manual in front of me for part numbers though.

#652 7 years ago

When I had a problem with the ball launcher under the skill shot ramp, it was because the actual arm itself was broken and all that was left to hit the ball was a nub. Much better after replacing the arm.

1 month later
#666 7 years ago

No idea. I have the same loose plug in mine. It's so close to the flipper connectors that maybe it's generic for another flipper. However the machine does have a ticket option so that makes more sense. And you are correct about the knocker.

1 month later
#683 7 years ago

I'm 100% in on a Rufio ramp. I'd also be in on a new skill shot ramp.

#687 7 years ago

Thanks for trying to make this happen. I've asked around for vacuum forming before but not had much luck at reasonable prices

#694 7 years ago

Have you done this before? There is clearly some risk to joining the presale.

1 week later
#707 7 years ago

The match the lane lights. I suppose it might be too difficult for some people to see the lanes directly

1 month later
#762 7 years ago

I'm interested as well.

#768 7 years ago

PM sent, thanks

#777 7 years ago

I think all of my games are like that including hook

2 weeks later
#794 7 years ago

Tired of your old busted Rufio ramp?

Mark (FreePlay40) asked me to send him my good condition Rufio ramp for reproduction. I know the interest is here, so if you haven't already done so, go over to his ramp feed and let him know you are interested in one if he produces them. That will allow him to gauge real interest and may have an affect on timing and availability. I actually have new Rufio ramp decals that I am willing to reproduce at low cost primarily to cover expenses since he doesn't do decals with his ramps.

I have already purchased and received the Whirlwind lift ramp, a Wabac ramp for R&B, a DE Star Trek Subway ramp and a Hurricane center ramp. His ramps are excellent quality and improved over original design flaws.

Show him your support because Starship Fantasy isn't going to get around to any of the low production volume ramps for "decades". I know someone in Australia is making ramps for Williams games but I only see them pop up on eBay occasionally. Mark is single-handedly helping to keep these machines in better than just playable condition.

Thanks

Shawn

#798 7 years ago

I don't think anyone has asked for the windcoaster since they still pop up occasionally. I've got a good skill shot for him to create a mold with as well, but he has to get his new machine up and running before he can do that length.

1 week later
#806 7 years ago

Not sure you need to do that with Mark already making them, but your call.

#807 7 years ago

As long as your MPU board is original and not rotten dog then you should be fine. However, the pin sound card and the rotten MPU don't communicate with each other well

#809 7 years ago

My sound board was fried so I bought the pin sound as my replacement. I think the speakers make more difference than the card. I think the card is useful for customizing more than anything else. Of my 10 machines, my hook machine has the best sound, even better than my WOZ ECLE in my opinion. I wish I hadn't bought the speakers that were specific to the pin sound though, because now I can't just take out the card, I'd have to also take out the speakers.

#814 7 years ago

This would be incredible since I have both hook and star trek

6 months later
#880 6 years ago

Wow. Great job

1 month later
#906 6 years ago

I think it’s ironic you asked about the 5.0 code since one of the people who replied to your posts wrote it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus
Lighting
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shicketmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back?tu=shicketmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.