IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koamps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1006 6 years ago

This is my first machine and after a month it's too much fun finally owning one. Man this one needed some TLC though, lots of parts that hadn't seen use for a while started breaking down as they got regular play again. The Rufio ramp was a no brainer to replace, mine had the crack of doom and was only getting worse. Just installed the replacement from Freeplay40 tonight and it's even better than the stock ramp. With some graphics from cooke it looks killer. Put LEDs in the whole thing, changed a few roll over switches, most of the coil sleeves, new pop bumper skirts, new flippers and rubbers, v5.0 code from ChadH, cleaned and waxed the play field and it's a new machine again.

Only things left to do are rebuild the flippers, fix the wood around the holes and install some cliffy protectors and possibly put new decals on the targets.

Still a few issues though, scoop shoots the ball way too high and misses the flipper now since I've waxed the play field which may or may not be related to that and one of the drop target switches keeps registering hits after it's down. Targets drop nicely since I cleaned them, so I'm thinking it's a bum switch even though I've cleaned and re tensioned them and they seem to make good contact when closed. Constant work in progress I guess, here's some pics.

IMG_0618 (resized).jpgIMG_0618 (resized).jpg

IMG_0620 (resized).jpgIMG_0620 (resized).jpg

IMG_0619 (resized).jpgIMG_0619 (resized).jpg

IMG_0617 (resized).jpgIMG_0617 (resized).jpg

#1008 6 years ago

It's as steep as I could get it with the stock feet, around 6 degrees which is shallow but seems to be normal for Hook from what I've read. My scoop does have a slight bend to it from getting slammed which might not help the situation. It kicks out normally half the time so not sure what the cause is, maybe a loose link in the kicker. Might have to put it in the vice and bend it back straight or replace the link.

IMG_0621 (resized).jpgIMG_0621 (resized).jpg

#1022 6 years ago

Did some work on the old girl tonight. Solved the drop target switch sticking problem with a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol. A business card wasn't enough to get the corrosion off the contacts. Also sort of fixed the scoop kick out, not perfect but only misses the flipper once out of ten shots now. Slightly bent the scoop back to straight, but I think most of the problem is caused by play in the kicker arm hinge joints. They were super floppy, so added a thin washer to the coil plunger link as shown in the pic. I couldn't add anything to the other joint on the kicker arm without too much binding, but replaced the e ring with a new one since the old one had some wear. There's a raised ring around the far side of the plunger arm that acts like a bushing that's got some wear that can probably only be fixed by replacing the whole thing. Good enough for now until something else breaks.

IMG_0637 (resized).jpgIMG_0637 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1071 6 years ago

Here's my game running the v5.0 code. Display is original, haven't had any issues with it since I got the game a few months ago with or without the new code. Steph at Hobbyroms burnt them for me in November.

2 weeks later
#1123 6 years ago

hawkeyexx There's two round areas in the mirrored back part like in your picture. Both have little brass L brackets that the ramp edges rest on for support in my machine. The bracket tops are about flush with the tops of the circle cutouts. Here's a couple of crappy pics.

IMG_0705 (resized).jpgIMG_0705 (resized).jpg

IMG_0704 (resized).jpgIMG_0704 (resized).jpg

#1164 6 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Anyone have there pin lights 100% working confirm this. If there are two red with tracer on lamp then I found out why it's acting up

I'll check mine when I'm home in a few hours.

#1165 6 years ago

Mine looks the same, the one beside it has two red/blue wires though. And on the three skill shot top lights, there’s a single red/blue on the third red light.

82D3846F-CE09-4DF6-9385-2F5CB8F14E26 (resized).jpeg82D3846F-CE09-4DF6-9385-2F5CB8F14E26 (resized).jpeg

D24252E5-1DA0-4B8F-A605-F96F833C54BC (resized).jpegD24252E5-1DA0-4B8F-A605-F96F833C54BC (resized).jpeg

C6320E95-DF7E-41B1-A8B6-AD19E0EFCFD2 (resized).jpegC6320E95-DF7E-41B1-A8B6-AD19E0EFCFD2 (resized).jpeg

#1217 6 years ago

A Williams 23-800 coil or should do the trick.

#1233 6 years ago

I used JB Weld KwikWood and it worked great, just like he did here: http://www.pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/96-scoop-outhole-repair

1 week later
#1257 6 years ago

Here's an issue I'm hoping someone has had with theirs and figured it out already. The 'Big Kick' auto launch under the skill shots fires once randomly a few seconds after firing a ball properly. Usually by the time it hits the pop bumpers or the flippers the first time. It's mostly annoying but the OCD in me would like to sort it out. The machine has always done it since I got it, and doesn't seem to be linked to anything else firing. I'm betting it's a cold solder joint somewhere in the switch matrix or driver circuit. I've re flowed solder on all the connector pins and relays on all the boards but didn't do the chips or anything else. That coil did burn up on me and I had to replace the TIP36C that drove it, plus I changed the two pre driver transistors while I had the board out so they're good and the coil diode is good. All the switches and diodes around the skill shot are new as well. Otherwise the game works perfectly. I hate intermittent gremlins like this.

Just a note, the two washers I added to the scoop kick out arm to correct the kick out randomness are working really well. Balls come out at slightly different angles but hit the flipper every time.

I have also had the single drop target not scoring when the pirate town is lit. PS, pirate town looks awesome when you add a few leds tied to the GI inside. Same thing if you light the scoop holes with red ones.

IMG_0746 (resized).jpgIMG_0746 (resized).jpg

IMG_0745 (resized).jpgIMG_0745 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1397 6 years ago

I managed to get 200-250M quite a few times on the 5.00 code with my limited skills. It'll be interesting to see how that changes with the new code, chip is on the way in the mail now!

1 week later
#1399 6 years ago

Had my first go with the new code tonight, very nice. Subtle improvements, my favorite being the reduced flashing especially right at the start of multiball where it's nice to actually see the ball instead of being blinded. I'm sure the relay will last longer now too with the reduced usage. The flashing shoot again is killer as well. Think I still missed a pirate town special even though I hit a few drop targets but wasn't paying much attention. Even managed to knock out a 150M game too so my name's back up on the top scores list. Fantastic work Chad.

#1403 6 years ago

Yeah mine used to drain too until I waxed the play field and got the angle as steep as it would go as well. I managed a little over 6 degrees with the back legs all the way out and front all the way in which did the trick and still keeps it easy enough for the kids to enjoy.

1 month later
#1443 5 years ago

Had a good game tonight.

IMG_0877 (resized).jpgIMG_0877 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1487 5 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Out with the old in with the new

Wow, those old ones have seen better days eh.

1 month later
#1539 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

ok so back playing hook after satisfying trouble shooting episodes, replaced bad transistor and then had a coil sleeve bind , and had another coil wire need resoldering. not sure fixing is as fun as playing but have learned a bunch
Notice when 3rd pirate target is dropped the ramp value will ramp up without hitting another pirate target, anyone else have this? code issue or another troubleshooting journey?

Mine was the same when I got it, everything constantly breaking. Had the same drop target issue too, a good cleaning of the leaf switches sorted that out. My wife was upset when it was fixed since she couldn't sneak those extra millions in anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koamps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back?tu=koamps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.