IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astyy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

I'll go back and start from the beginning of the thread, but also wondering if anyone has teardown photos/instructions for the back area of the playfield? Maybe I just haven't noodled it out yet, but to me it looks like all the back GI is only accessible by removing the windcoaster ramp?

It's not as daunting as it looks and probably needs a clean underneath anyway. If I remember correctly you cant take just the Windcoaster off in isolation need to undo and disassemble what is accessible, take careful notes and reverse.

#541 7 years ago

When I first got Hook it frustrated me that only Skill Shot 2 was seemingly ever lit, and newbies playing mine always comment 'why is it always 2?'. I didn't realise what was awarded for hitting the skill-shot (even though written on each plastic - doh). I certainly like to see all 3 used even if only occasionally. I only recall ever seeing Shot 1 lit once in over a year that I've owned it.

Btw, my Hook has the gate on the ramp below.

Can somebody explain to me the behaviour where the ball locks in the Clock Shop VUK, then releases back into the shooter lane via the diverter please? I enjoy seeing the diverter in action, I think it's under used on this game.

#544 7 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

When in 2 ball MULTI-BALL, U have to lock a ball in the VUK, then hit either ramp, the diverter then sends the second ball into the shooter lane.

Thanks I'll try that.

The other snag is the ball sometimes drops to the right off the wire form after it comes out of the right ramp loop. I'm not sure if I'm missing something to prevent this.

Edit. I have a spare of the wire form and its the same as fitted so I don't think anything is missing. Per the photo below I 'think' the ball is sometimes deflected by the switch, which is relatively stiff, then rebounds off the Windcoaster edge which is relatively close. What does this area look like on others machines please? I see the WC ramp has a crack which isn't helping pull it clear.

WP_20160627_15_53_53_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160627_15_53_53_Pro_(resized).jpg

#546 7 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

There is a "loop" attached to the wire form that goes over a post by the scoop with a nut to hold it on place. Is yours attached?
Also are both "rails" seated into the metal bracket under the plastic ramps exit? When I did I complete tear down, that was a PITA to put back together.

Nice ideas! I was pretty sure it was fitted right but looking at that front loop it has some adjustment left/right and I can move the front over which in turn moves the back away from the Windcoaster. Probably just a couple of mm will make a difference.

I've also noticed is a bracket on the back right of the Skull with nothing attached - any idea on that?

WP_20160627_19_27_31_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160627_19_27_31_Pro_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#551 7 years ago

Hi sibi, that's interesting the art on the front of your cab doesn't have the black smudge under the Crocs mouth - compare with mine below, I'm not sure whether this was a painting error or supposed to be a shadow of his mouth.

WP_20151004_08_30_30_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_08_30_30_Pro_(resized).jpg

#553 7 years ago

I see, haven't seen decals before on a Hook.

Most I've seen have the mark, there is an article online where the guy makes a nice job of painting it out;
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/cabinet/116-cabinet-touch-up-paint-hook

I'm going with the Croc mouth shadow theory and living with it

#559 7 years ago

Well you weren't the only one, the guy on pinballrehab must have gone to some effort painting it out. That article had me convinced it was an error but now I look at it again it matches the shadow under the Croc too.

1 week later
#580 7 years ago

Perhaps I'm imagining it but if I miss the 'pity extra ball' skill shot 3 (last ball 5 on my setup) then it offers me the Pirate Town extra ball attempt shortly thereafter.

I think I've only see the 'pity multiball' skill shot 1 lit once in the year I've owned Hook.

Nice terminology Crash

#582 7 years ago

I've jumped in here and not introduced myself to Hook Club.

I bought a Hook project, my first DMD game March 2015. It had water damage around the back and a few electronic faults.

WP_20150317_21_44_02_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150317_21_44_02_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_23_35_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_23_35_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_24_16_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_24_16_Pro_(resized).jpg

Fortunately Pete 'Best Hook in the World' B was restoring his at the same time and gave me a lot of advice. I repaired the water damage and repainted the cabinet sorted the rusty metal and it came up pretty nice for a first attempt.

WP_20150923_10_07_17_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150923_10_07_17_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150927_17_51_00_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150927_17_51_00_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_08_30_30_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_08_30_30_Pro_(resized).jpg

The playfield was dirty but nice underneath. So just a strip down clean and some new sling covers with bright red coats.

WP_20151202_20_02_24_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151202_20_02_24_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_12_16_51_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_12_16_51_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160412_14_55_16_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160412_14_55_16_Pro_(resized).jpg

All electronic faults sorted and it went to a Pinball show in October 15 for 600 plays.

My latest project is a Vector which was pretty much a basket case when I started.

WP_20151004_13_53_14_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_13_53_14_Pro_(resized).jpg

#608 7 years ago

Identifying the mech's can be a bit confused in the manual - this one is 'Big Kick' shown here with a 22-600 coil

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

I also have the same problem as sibi, sometimes when the ball drops thru skillshot 1 it doesn't have enough momentum to roll down and activate the switch. The trough underneath needs to be nice and smooth and polished.

#609 7 years ago

And true to form here's a pic from my machine with a different coil 23-800 - not sure if this is original but most of the solenoids use this size. I'd think this is a higher resistance than 22-600 hence slightly less powerful - it always reaches the top lanes but doesn't exactly shoot up with gusto. I may try a 22-600 if I have one in my spares.

WP_20160723_10_48_49_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160723_10_48_49_Pro_(resized).jpg

#613 7 years ago

The one glitch with my Hook is I have the original DMD and during game play it frequently freezes or garbles then resets to 'Display 401' and continues with 'Ball 1 0 Credits' rather than actual ball number/Free as when it starts. This happens a few times per ball now. The score & graphics continues so it's playable. This only happens in game and when entering initials for high score, not in attract mode.

I've tested the voltages ok at the display board, checked R95, reseated the ribbon cable and display Rom. Unfortunately I don't have spares to help troubleshoot further.

Any ideas?

3 weeks later
#625 7 years ago

I've noticed an animation on my DMD I've never spotted before 'Special Now Lit' or such like - where is the lit special?

#636 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Just got in contact with a guy in Spain that makes cab decals for Hook.

Another option for Hook decals (and some other machines) is PeteB of Retro Refurbs in the UK. He does high end restorations so I'd expect his products to be A1 quality. This was his recent Hook;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/retrorefurbs/albums/72157670571710906

Here are the decals priced in £ which may be advantageous to anybody outside the UK;
http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/hook-data-east-pinball-cabinet-decals/

#637 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Quoted from astyy:
I've noticed an animation on my DMD I've never spotted before 'Special Now Lit' or such like - where is the lit special?
Probably the outlane like most games but I'm not sure.

It displays this so rarely (just kind of capital text with some shading) I can't spot what's lit to aim for - can anybody help? Perhaps it's one of these Hook hurry up's that disappears as quickly.

My DMD is playing up so I'm particularly attentive to it at the moment.

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Hey guys, I just picked one of these up. I looked in it very briefly last night and noticed a wired coil laying on the bottom of the cab. I'm assuming this is the knocker that lost all of its hardware. Can someone snap a photo of theirs for me?

Welcome to HOOK Club! Was missing in mine too, I think cos it was an easy source for Op's of a spare coil and bracket is the same as the outhole kickback (Marco has them 500-5081-00)

The original one was mounted in the bottom here (you should see 3 mounting holes in a triangle next to the speaker)
Untitled_(resized).pngUntitled_(resized).png

I re-used a non DE one that mounts vertically on the side of the cab so the plunger drops back by gravity - jeesh it's good and LOUD! In the bottom photo you can see the metal plate that I assume the original mech knocked against looking at the wear.
WP_20150514_18_46_15_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150514_18_46_15_Pro_(resized).jpg

WP_20150514_19_24_21_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150514_19_24_21_Pro_(resized).jpg

#647 7 years ago

I got another question. My kickback is only working 1/10 times. When I watch it, it doesn't appear to be a timing/adjustment problem, it seems the plunger isn't kicking out very far. I haven't inspected it yet, but I'm thinking maybe a past operator filed it down possibly to make the game more difficult. I'd say it's only coming out about 1/4 inch.

Here's a photo from my Hook showing the extent it fires out. In diagnostics there is a Lazer Kick test where you can keep rolling the ball down the outlane to activate it.

20160822_134909(0) (resized).jpg20160822_134909(0) (resized).jpg

#649 7 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Here's a photo from my Hook showing the extent it fires out. In diagnostics there is a Lazer Kick test where you can keep rolling the ball down the outlane to activate it.

Thanks, that shot took a bit of catching! I took a lot of photos when I shopped the machine - here's the Lazer Kick, it seems to be fitted into a recess so would be tricky to move back. It's similar to the Knocker mech - didn't you mention yours was missing so perhaps something is awry here.

This mech defo needs to work good to play Hook - in the game it's called the Slingshot so perhaps the reference Lazer Kick is from an earlier game such as Star wars.

WP_20150401_20_21_39_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20150401_20_21_39_Pro (resized).jpg

#654 7 years ago

Yes different coils, they're not even consistent in the manual but the table on pg 28 is correct

hook coils (resized).pnghook coils (resized).png

#655 7 years ago

This has reminded me. I recently installed one of Inkonchitos bridge boards into my Hook and he told me that he's just released a useful tech chart for Hook available here;
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

1 month later
#674 7 years ago
Quoted from Thatpinguy850:

...any pictures of the whole playfield bottom would be helpful ..

Attached is a hi-res photo of below the pf. Also I'd recommend Inkochnito's Hook Tech Chart that shows all the wire colours for lamps, switches & mechs on one sheet;
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdf

WP_20150318_18_41_26_Pro__highres (resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_41_26_Pro__highres (resized).jpg

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Is your game a prototype with spinning disc in the head?

No, but I wish it was so lucky you. I've since noticed most have blue brackets, both colours look good topside imho.

#678 7 years ago

Hey Hook fans, the pinball-live twitch stream of Hook play is still available to watch online;
https://www.twitch.tv/pinball_live/v/89686200

It was a bit of a challenge as the skill shot lamps weren't working.

1 month later
#708 7 years ago

Just perusing this HOOK for sale (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-hook-huo-data-east) and see it has a cardboard box inside the cabinet - mine has the exact same one securely bolted through the floor. Anybody know what these were for?

WP_20150319_18_48_12_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20150319_18_48_12_Pro (resized).jpg

1 week later
#718 7 years ago

Has anybody ever dealt with the display having scrambles present and every now and then resetting? I'm assuming its the 5v but I read that it could be the ribbon cable as well.

Mine is doing similar, normally during gameplay it garbles the animations randomly and then resets back to the version number and continues. I've even seen animations that I don't think are in this game. After the reset the Correct ball number/Free status is always replaced with Ball 1/0 Credits but the score continues correctly.

I've tried a bunch of stuff with no success. Once the update is out I'll try a new ROM and take it from there.

2 weeks later
#727 7 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

My unofficial Hook patch has been released!
You can read all the details of the changes and download the patch from my website at:
http://www.pinballcode.com
Let me know what you think.
Merry Christmas!

Excellent news, can't wait to try it. Thank you.

WP_20151123_09_29_17_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20151123_09_29_17_Pro (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#763 7 years ago

I upgraded mine to Chad/V5 Unofficial yesterday. Have only played a few games so far but the improvement is immediately noticeable and throughout, new sounds, animations, flow etc. The machine just seems less jerky and more polished overall now.

WP_20170110_14_56_34_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170110_14_56_34_Pro (resized).jpg

#769 7 years ago

Spent more time playing & enjoying the ChadH Hook 5. The use of sound and overall timing is far better, you know what's going on from the feedback and the new sound during Crock clock is particularly good. Shooting the targets to increase the Windcoaster is neat too - I'm not good at repetitively making the ramp but I was up to 7 million. I'm struggling now to make the Clocks (you have to shoot Rufio 3 times rather than 2 for AM/PM) but now the Try Again works you can wizz it straight around Rufio to light one which helps and also returns the ball to the right flipper setup for a nice Combo attempt. Also, the mode lights on the scoop are far more accessible being balanced and you can rack them up too.

My only (very) trivial downside is that I preferred the Tinkerbell call out on the Try Again to the new "Come back and fight".

How are others getting on?

Edit. The update is perfect, Tinkerbell still calls Try Again, and Hook Shoot Again!!!

#772 7 years ago

ChriX here are a couple of snaps from mine. Bottom plastic is screwed direct to top of bumper body and the two closest standoffs sit within the bumper ring radius so don't foul it.

20170115_152023 (resized).jpg20170115_152023 (resized).jpg

20170115_151936 (resized).jpg20170115_151936 (resized).jpg

#778 7 years ago

Hook is 25 years old this month!

2 weeks later
#795 7 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

A bit of feedback, for the croc time mode (which is now much improved), the lights at the ramp do not continue to flash after the initial intro light show. I've had players comment that they understand the hurry up style music and the value countdown but had no idea what they should be shooting for as nothing was flashing. I'm assuming this is not just my machine doing this... but let me know.

Yep that happens on my machine too @chrix. Similarly in AM/PM time mode (when the clocks do remain lit) it would be great if it indicated that the Clock shop VUK is a valid target too.

The other thing I'm not sure has changed is when you get a "Try Again" no shooter lane target is lit. So can wizz it around Ruffio to light a Clock. Wasn't sure if before you got another shooter lane target to go for?

With all this extra play I've noticed the crack of doom starting on my Rufio
WP_20170203_09_55_08_Raw (resized).jpgWP_20170203_09_55_08_Raw (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#811 7 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

FWIW, I have been trading emails with Luis of pinballsp. It looks like he is working on a colorized DMD for the small DE games. That could be real interesting for Hook...

Have read this confirmed too - great time for Hook, new code, plastics, ramps and now a colour DMD soon

#813 7 years ago

Pinballsp has posted information and a photo of the board design here;
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdst32-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-10#post-197840

As far as I understand it we can apply a limited colour palette throughout or to each animation until somebody with the necessary skills colours it in properly and shares the config. I'm still on the original plasma display so happy with the former option as an upgrade/replacement until such time.

3 months later
#843 6 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Need to pull the art off of the back glass and re-apply it to get rid of the hundreds of bubbles.

Quoted from garretswinning:

How do you re apply the backglass. I would like to know because mine as well has some bubbles in it

Checkout the excellent Hook shop log by RetroRefurbs he used anti-static spray to remove the bubbles with before/after pictures
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/hook-the-restoration-youve-been-waiting-for.19738/page-4#post-157495

#847 6 years ago

Hey guys, I got my Power supply worked on by John Wart, my DMD is still scrambling and resetting. What should I move onto next?
I love the new code so far. I did find a slight bug where it occasionally says Ball 1 during Ball 3. I messaged Chad on his website, just wanted to post it here too incase he sees this first.

Is this relating to your DMD scrambling/resetting (and not Chads update)? My DMD does similar during game play and after it resets it says Ball 1/Credit 0 (rather than correct ball in play and Freeplay), the score continues counting correctly. Mine did this before Chads update and resets less often since I replaced the ribbon cable.

#858 6 years ago

I have a TMNT and I'll swap the displays tomorrow and test.

Any luck with swapping the displays futurepinhead ? I've pretty much resigned myself to the problem being on the DMD itself and I'm waiting for pinballsp to release his 128x16 Colour DMD.

Another symptom is that if you play multiplayer then after the DMD crashes it resets each players score to 0 and only shows the players up to the current player. It all returns to normal when the next ball starts but does spoil a multiplayer game.

#861 6 years ago

Ok so I swapped DMDs with Hook and TMNT and now both work

Thanks for reporting back and good result. I wonder if re-seating whilst swapping the display ROMs over made a difference too. Certainly on mine the new ROM when I upgraded to Hook 5 improved things. I'm waiting for PinballSPs Colour DMD to try next.

#863 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Can you send a link? I haven't heard of that.

Pinballsp has posted information and a photo of the board design for 128x16 here;
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdst32-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-10#post-197840

2 months later
#871 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop?

It's the circular tree one shown in the Ebay link above.

Nice work on your cabinet, is it painted or decaled?

20170830_203954 (resized).jpg20170830_203954 (resized).jpg

#873 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I meant what is riveted on to the boulder plastic.

Gotcha, yes a small deflector, here's some pics to help. In the 2nd pic make sure you have that pin as that can be a ball hang spot.

20170831_095422_001 (resized).jpg20170831_095422_001 (resized).jpg

20170831_095813_001 (resized).jpg20170831_095813_001 (resized).jpg

#882 6 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either.

I'll pay more attention, but I'm sure I've had all 3 Pirate Town specials - perhaps the extra ball offered relates to whether you were offered it on the skill shot ramp first, which only seems to happen on the last ball of a low score game (often!). What happens on mine is that sometimes Pirate Town isn't awarded but that could be a flaky drop target switch.

The extra ball insert pointing to the skull I've only ever seen lit once or twice in the years I've owned Hook and that's since Chads (excellent) V5 update.

What's also rare is being offered the "free" multiball on skillshot hole 1. Have only seen that a couple of times on last ball.

My favourite Hook shot is recovering a 2 ball multiball to 3 where you lock a ball in the VUK, then shoot the windcoaster and have the first ball returned via the (underused) diverter.

Ha, it's nearly the weekend let's play some Hook.

1 month later
#891 6 years ago

Wow is that backbox colour LEDs?

Quoted from ChrisRAD:

Anyone know where to get a repro clear red shooter rod?

I got mine from a UK supplier but looks much like this one on Marcos - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9253-9

Originally there were DE logo ones but they seem to mysteriously dissappear
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#895 6 years ago

I see Pin2DMD are making progress on 128x16 support too;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/16#post-3987854
Ummm, the title in the URL is different to the thread

What are the pro's and cons of the two options?

1 month later
#925 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Installed chad 5.0 roms today. Anyone have a word issue where all other scores show as zero during multiplayer? Not all the time, probably about half. Happened randomly but they always showed the correct score at the end of the game, just zeroes during gameplay. Also did not show the correct ball number. Did not have this issue before.

Yes that happens on mine. Less noticeable is that in a 1 player game it sometimes resets to displaying Ball 1 (rather than actual ball) and Credits 0 (rather than Freeplay). The Ball in play corrects to where you were on the next eject until the DMD resets again. This 1 player symptom is less obvious and disruptive than the multiplayer scenario.

#942 6 years ago

Seems to be a few of us now spotting this DMD reset issue. Mine certainly did it before Chads update and subsequently since but less so - possibly coincidental through more play of the improved game. I did try to improve the power supply side, re-capped the power board and installed one of Inkonchitos bridge boards but no significant change.

My hunch is that it happens when playing animations, somebody mentioned one not resetting when moved from Hook to TMNT. I'm going to try unplugging the rope light as a test.

My end goal is to install one of the Colour LED DMDs once available.

#955 6 years ago

Whilst searching for your video, I found this cool topper lighting mod posted a few days ago...

2 weeks later
#983 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

How much is that DMD? I asked about it no one had an answer if it was available.

The price I read earlier in the year was "about 195 Euros" for pinballsp version, not sure on Pin2DMD option of if either are generally available yet.
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdmk66-128x32-192x64-128x16-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-14#post-212358

#984 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Hook used a DMD 128 x 16. Only 3 pins used this size DMD.

Actually was used on 5 : Checkpoint, TMNT, Batman, Star Trek 25th and Hook I'd happily own all of them.

#986 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I might just purchase one from Marco Specialties
For 299.00

Are they multi-colour though? We're so close and Hook is going to look great in colour.

#990 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Anyone know where I can purchase a right ramp assembly?

The back right "Rufio" ramp was expertly reproduced and improved by freeplay40 earlier this year
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/27#post-3676844

#998 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Someone here on Pinside had made a few. If I spot it I'll post it back here.

shicketmaster I believe....
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/16#post-3576499

4 weeks later
#1079 6 years ago

I've posted about this DMD crash problem for a while. It happens regularly on my machine normally a couple of times per ball and spoils multiplayer games. I can't reproduce it by dropping the targets as above, it seems to happen most during fast activity or multiball. If anything it's happening less since installing the Chad Rom. I think mine is some kind of power problem.

Btw, who likes my new keyring I got for Xmas

20180111_154511 (resized).jpg20180111_154511 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1091 6 years ago

It'll be great to see further tweaks to this excellent update. My only minor point of feedback is that I don't think the Rufio ramp should score when you overshoot the skillshot lane (for clocks and combo shot). Tbf it might have done this before but so much was wrong with the game it was difficult to notice.

For us poor players I kinda miss racking up the scores on the windcoaster.

All power to your elbow ChadH (as some of us say over here)

#1098 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Are you referring to the start of each ball when you plunge to try to make the 1, 2, or 3 hole

Hi Chad have done some play testing today and seen as bobwiley says above, it only seems to happen when you re-plunge after a "Try Again" (sdtm) call, diverted return to the shooter lane and "Shoot Again" don't score the rufio/clocks ramp if overshot.

Also whilst testing I had an extra ball award/hole 3 on the shooter lane, if I overshot it diverted back everytime. Never seen this before was nice to see the diverter in action.

#1105 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Let me summarize what I think you are talking about:

1) you plunge ball into play.
2) ball drains before the Ball Save timer expires (default 10 seconds - reminder, this is now user adjustable)
3) ball is sent back to Shooter Lane
4) you plunge hard to send ball around the Right Ramp which triggers the switch there and spots AM or PM or starts Clock mode.

Thanks for investigating Chad, but I've noticed sometimes at Step 4) the divertor opens again and you can just keep repeating steps 3) & 4) over and over when it does it with it diverting back every time on an overshoot. I've seen this several times but not sure of the exact conditions as sometimes it does as you describe above. Perhaps this approach is intended to avoid the pro-tip.

Quoted from ChadH:

there is currently an approximately 10 second timer that counts down and then the game says "Shoot it"

I always thought that was saying "Brutus"

#1106 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

No sure why the is this area with holes drilled in it? Can someone please explain?

I'll help with any photos but I'm not sure where that is - back right corner? Mine (before shop) looks like this.

WP_20150524_12_08_32_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20150524_12_08_32_Pro (resized).jpg

#1108 6 years ago

I see now, your pics of behind the Rufio ramp, there's a similar circle on the lhs of the mirror which a plastic attaches.

A pinside member earlier in this thread was selling repro plastics if you search back.

#1118 6 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Is it safe to assume they all use the same resistor?

Those will be diodes across the lamps typically 1N4004

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

Have an issue people: my ship lights (special, 10 million, extra ball) only work in the lamp test modes, during gameplay they don’t Light up.

Are you sure as they rarely light? On Chads code I only see one of the Pirate Town(=ship) features light perhaps once or twice per game.

#1129 6 years ago

All lights listed are ones not working how they should bangerang, extra ball, shoot again and all 3 skill shots.

These days I go to our friend Inkochnito Tech Chart for Hook, this shows the drive transistors for the relevant row/column;
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdf

Your symptoms are a bit weird, I had stuck on CPU lamps and it was caused by incorrect components on a brand new Rotondog CPU, unlikely for you, in your case I'd work through Clays diagnosis to test the Row/Columns to verify if the fault is on the MPU or playfield;
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#lamp

#1133 6 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

I’ve owned my Hook for 7 years and guess I’ve never hit the 80 target hits on the last ball.

That don't sound right, he said it's random between 8 and 80 switch hits and only appears on the last ball. Why not take the glass off and experiment flicking switches by hand? Defo works on mine and now as Chad explains I realise it is on the last ball.

#1140 6 years ago

hawkeyexx did you try replacing R95 on the DMD? It does look similar to the one in Clays guide
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#dots

#1176 6 years ago

I wonder if the pop bumper rods are stressed once the metal yoke has failed. When I rebuilt mine all three metal yokes had gone and two fibre. Interesting to see both yellow and blue plastic bumper brackets fitted on Hook - mine has yellow. I've seen these can crack where they screw into the pf.

WP_20150502_20_00_07_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20150502_20_00_07_Pro (resized).jpg

#1187 6 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Doed anyone know how the extra ball light gets lit on the skull?

Me too, I have only ever seen that lit once or twice.

One of my favourite shots is recovering 2 to 3 multiball, in 2 ball play lock ball in VUK, then shoot windcoaster and then the locked ball is returned via the diverter to shoot the skillshot again.

Combo is good too, both ramps and VUK.

#1188 6 years ago

New Hook sideblades available. I particularly like the map version.

1 week later
#1251 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

How do you know if it’s a power issue causing your display to reset? And also wondering if other people have noticed those issues with 2+ player games ?

Yes I do and I think a few others. On a 1-player game the DMD resets and FREEPLAY resets to "Credits 0" and the ball in play to Ball 1 which then corrects at the start of the next ball. The problems are more pronounced on a 2+ player game.

#1253 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

does it sometimes not give you the pirate ship awards with only 1 drop target?

Now you mention it I'm sure that happens on mine sometimes.

#1271 6 years ago

It is in the lamp matrix and I thought everything in it had to have the diode.

Correct, hawkeyexx is missing the blocking diode for the lamp. Here is a pic from mine to help re-wire, the Red/Violet needs moving and the diode appears reversed.

Good spot btw this should sort your weird lighting behaviour. I hope that helps guys.
(Looking at my pic I'm surprised my light works there's hardly any solder on that tab!)

20180220_110117 (resized).jpg20180220_110117 (resized).jpg

#1273 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Do I need to correct the wiring?

The theory, as I understand it is that without a blocking diode Row 7 (Red/Violet) is now shorted to Column 4 (Yellow/Black). So what you'll see in Test is that whenever a lamp is lit in any other column the same lamp in Column 4 will light, as described here;
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#double-lamps

Best approach is to have a play in the diagnostics lamp tests. If the above theory is correct, then in single lamp tests you'll have two lamps on for every lamp and in lamp drive (column) test you'll see the lamps in Column 4 permanently lit (*I think*)

1 week later
#1296 6 years ago

Bangerang fellas, alternate Hook translite now installed on my machine courtesy of Retro Refurbs - I really must get those map sideblades to suit

20180227_153201_001 (resized).jpg20180227_153201_001 (resized).jpg

#1298 6 years ago

Really like the transmits. I wouldn't mind at all getting one. You have a link?

It's on the Retro Refurbs webshop now, this link should list everything for Hook
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/?s=hook&post_type=product

#1307 6 years ago

if you make one of them go underneath the skill shot are it get is stuck for a while

Do you have the gate that stops ball rolling back under the skillshot area? There was discussion about this during Chads rewrite.

#1313 6 years ago

Have any clue what it's called n possible pic I'll install right anway

Re. shooter lane gate. If you search this whole thread for "gate" there was a lot of discussion during Chads re-write and a lot of machines that didn't have it but concluding that the gate was needed.

Pic of said gate here from Crash -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/7#post-3051582
A link to a part on Marco -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/9#post-3106615
Chads conclusion that gate is recommended -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/11#post-3218510

#1318 6 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Sooo, what’s the trick to get into the game settings?

I've owned this machine a few years and it still confuses me! The forward/reverse button sets the mode (down=diagnostics, up=audits) and the other steps through the settings once in. What's confusing is you seem to have to step right through them or reverse out to switch to the other mode.

Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Also, pop bumpers are weak, flippers too - seems to be tough to get up the left ramp ... but that second one might be a leveling issue.

Strange, there is a setting for coil strength. Also the flippers should have different coil types fitted, the info in the manual isn't consistent they should be
Left - 090-5030-00
Right - 090-5020-30 (more powerful)

#1325 6 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

... gotta find a way to get into this menu though ...

Are the buttons actually wired to anything? When I first got my Hook it had a fault on the flipper board, but I could still get into diagnostics or audits but it would just wizz through all the settings because of the faulty flipper.

#1331 6 years ago

Any takers on checking the orange and the black with purple trace wires are coming from to the right top yellow flash lamp.

Who can't resist a condemned mans last wish

This pic likely explains it - the flashers 2 wires are on a 3-way plug with a Z-connector so your flasher was likely just unplugged when removed from the machine. The connecting plug circled in blue is likely still dangling there. I hope this helps and best wishes for Saturday Hookmate

#1333 6 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Possible also that not enough wires are going to the two buttons I guess, anyone have a pic of what theirs look like? What’s the next junction from the coin door? Straight to the backbox?

I suggest check the wiring on the switches first - here's a pic, the wires are solid green (bottom lug), blue (top lug) and white doubled (middle lugs) and not obvious from the photo but the white daisy chains between the switches just above the plastic tie (I've drawn it on!) Don't confuse with the separate green earth shown right.

The wires appear to head to the back of the machine, which is supported by the schematic showing they terminate (via a connector in the middle) at the CPU CN14 Pins 2,3,4

#1334 6 years ago
Quoted from zFabi:

Just a quick question, what could it be if my two slings and the upper bumper don't work or just sporadically?
Are they on the same connector?

Those three (+more) are on the 32VDC rail. The red wire is common and daisy chained so inspect that for loose connection. It will run from the back to the front so possibly your divertor isn't working also when the slings are out (could verify in diagnostics).

#1337 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Menu buttons. The white is daisy chained.

Yours looks different to mine, I have 2 whites going to each button, one of which is the daisy chain loop. Do you have a loose white wire flapping around in that general area that may have come loose?

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Nope, that's where it terminates and everything looks right

I see, I thought you were the guy with the faulty buttons but that's TicTacSeth who has two pics to study now

#1344 6 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hmm, mine appears to be correct then ... ? Unless you see something I don’t??

Hmmm, that threw me as your switches are mounted the other way around to mine - Black knob closest to the door hinge. Anyways, your wiring does look different, the Black knob looks the same but the Green knob appears to be wired on the bottom 2 tabs - tbh I don't know the detail for how the tabs are wired internally so that may be fine and your wiring does appear 'crusty' and original.

The next thing I'd check is continuity to the CPU PCB CN14 per the schematic snippet I posted above.

#1346 6 years ago

TicTacSeth the white wire on the service switches goes via the door open button so check that too - your machine looks like it's seen some weather.

1 week later
#1371 6 years ago

Great news of the 5.01 update and I count 22 fixes/improvements at that! Was wondering ChadH is Hook your "biggest" patched game to date? It was somewhat of a blank and frayed canvas as a starting point.

#1374 6 years ago

We rarely discuss playing Hook in this club. I'm such a rubbish player I've never started Bangerang mode, have owned the machine a few years now and only play 3-ball

#1378 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I just wish all the people who historically have a bad opinion about Hook would try out the new code.

Same attitude in the UK. We have a major new pinball event starting this year and I will be taking my Hook to educate them in the way of Chad 5. Also, my machine will look quite different as I have the alternate translite and hopefully side arts blades too by then, so it will attract attention, look and play tippity top.

#1379 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What color flipper rubbers look best?

Black superbands on yellow DE bats for me - but I think lots of colours work on Hook. Also I replaced the stumpy black posts with blue silicon that I cut myself from custom engine tubing, still haven't made my mind up if I like the half post (left sling) vs full post (right sling), hence they're different until I decide.

20180323_150713 (resized).jpg20180323_150713 (resized).jpg

#1384 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

if anyone else has had this issue?

Yer my DMD has this same issue, for 1 player it's not too bad just need to remember which ball you're on (and you notice that FREE changes to Credits 0 which is useful if you didn't spot it crash), but it spoils a multiplayer game as it zeros all the other scores until the next ball starts.

I've made several improvements to the power side which has reduced the number of resets but the problem persists. Funny you mention the transformer connector as my display went completely garbled once and I fixed it by re-connecting the chunky in-line Molex connector that comes out of the transformer in the base of the cab - is that the one you mean? Ideally I'd like to swap in a known good DMD to see if it's the DMD or machine at fault but I don't have access to one.

#1389 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

5.01 should fix it if it's the software.

I'm still running 5.0 but my machine doesn't exhibit the drop targets/instant info DMD reset software bug (unfortunately)

Quoted from Crash:

Question, do either of you guys have an X-Pin aftermarket power supply?

Original DE boards here too apart from Rottendog MPU

Quoted from Bay78:

Apparently someone on pinwiki fixed a display reset issue by re pinning this connector but theirs was obviously burned by mine isn't but I did buy the parts listed on pinwiki.com to replace it and I guess that's next.

Can you post a link to that please?

#1392 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Yes that chunky molex connector that has the yellow wires coming into and out of it.

I see the one you mean now 4-way, it was hidden behind the goody box but mine looks like new. I was actually referring to re-seating the larger rectangular one (12-way?) right next to it.

Quoted from Crash:

First of all you will need to trace down where the 5v power supply going to the display is failing.

I set my DMM up connected across the back of the DMD J2 pin 1 5V and pin2 GND. Whilst playing the machine I seem to get a very steady 5.03-5.04 VDC no waivering whist mechs are activated etc. I think the DMD resets are mainly after playing an animation if that helps. I have fitted new ribbon cable and re-pinned most connectors and headers in the power chain.

#1394 6 years ago

So why in pirate town does it sometimes not see it when hit

Are you running 5.01 as one of the fixes is ...
"Adjusted logic on Drop Targets to better guarantee that they will register during Pirate Town."

#1398 6 years ago

strobey streamed 3 hours of Hook 5.01 on his Twitch channel earlier this week and scored in that ballpark too, it's available to watch on his channel here :-
https://www.twitch.tv/pinball_live

#1400 6 years ago

Hook was streamed on Pinball LIVE again yesterday - available to watch here https://www.twitch.tv/pinball_live

A question to Hook owners. I noticed watching the stream that when the Windcoaster ramp isn't made the ball rolls back to the left sling/flipper area and is saved, my machine invariably drains sdtm in this rollback case. I can likely adjust the Windcoaster entrance to be similar but was interested to know how other Hooks behave, I was of the opinion the drain was the penalty of not making the Windcoaster properly.

#1402 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Raise your back legs till it's about 6.5 degrees. It goes stdm if it's too shallow

Thanks Chalkey I haven't paid much attention to the angle but it makes sense and must be my most common drain. My right outlane post is on maximum gap too which I see can be adjusted tighter. Don't want to make it too easy now

2 weeks later
#1408 5 years ago

To update on my DMD intermittently resetting/corrupt graphics problem (back to displaying Ball 1, Credits 0 symptom). Fellow UK pinsider TinyToo visited me to test his Boston pinball LED DMD in my machine, the purpose was to t/shoot a different display problem on his LED DMD (which reproduced on my machine), however during long game play the LED DMD didn't reset once (demonstrating my DMD problem).

I don't know precisely which input voltages the Boston LED DMD uses (other than +5V) but obviously it doesn't use the high voltages that the plasma requires. I've since monitored each DMD voltage whilst playing which appear solid. So this leaves me thinking the problem is on the DMD itself. If anything it's now getting worse and at one point displayed an audit screen then reset during play which was very strange.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this further but it would appear that one fix is a new DMD, I'd certainly be tempted by a Colour LED option.

#1410 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would strongly suggest going with a DMDMK66 color DMD from PinballSP

Thanks Crash I have been in contact with Luis previously and he's in Europe too.

The Pin2DMD guys seem to be making progress on a Colour 128x16 DMD option too, but I can't work out exactly what's needed and from where, particularly the specific controller board - this post mentions the "shopping list" to assemble one;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/16#post-4165729

#1414 5 years ago

Has anybody noticed that sometimes when the Clock Shop (VUK) is lit ready for multiball that "something" makes it go out. I haven't worked it out but think if you hit it you still get multiball started (on latest 5.01 code).

#1415 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikonos:

I will follow with custom pinball cards.

Hey Mikonos I like your cards where are they available?

A lot of us on here are running Chads V5 Hook code now, it would be great to produce a version tuned to the V5 rules.

#1420 5 years ago
Quoted from Mikonos:

Tell me about that rule for adding. Thanks!

I'm not the best on rules, but know most of those have changed with Chads V5, saying that I think most were wrong in the first place! Perhaps the guys on here can comment on better V5 rule descriptions.

Good luck with the cards

#1427 5 years ago

Hi @mikonos, the release guide for Chads 5 (and 5.01 update) is here:- http://www.pinballcode.com/hook501
I've made a start below commenting on the current rules card wording. Hopefully others will chip in and be interested in a card reflecting V5 rules.

Jackpot: Collect Jackpot on Lit Baseball or Windcoaster Ramps. Shooting Weapon Targets Increases Value.
^ This is ok, tbh I don't know if shooting weapon targets increases Jackpot value, but hitting successive Jackpots increases value to 20 Million

Multiball: Shoot all targets (Top Left Clock Shop also spots Targets) to lite, lock one ball to lite Plunger Skill Shot. Plunging to lit holes starts 3 Ball play.
^ You have a double word on this line "lock lock", otherwise I think this is ok

Skill Shot: Shoot ball into flashing hole to collect award (see Ramp Values 1-2-3)
^ OK

Bangarang: Shoot Skull to lite Value. Shoot Scoop to collect Value. Completing all six Values lites Bangarang. Completing Bangarang awards 50 Million & Lites all features.
^ Changed/always wrong! Shoot Skull to lite Value. Shoot Scoop to collect Value. Completing all six Values lites Bangarang. Bangarang bonus starts at 5M. Each shot to Right Ramp, Skull, Left Ramp, Strike, or VUK will increase Bangarang Bonus by 5M.

Baseball Ramp: Shooting ramp twice lites award for 5 Million points.
^ Changed. Shoot ramp 3 times awards 5 Million points and starts Clocks mode for 3 Million for each Clock Shop and Baseball Ramp

Windcoaster Ramp: Shooting ramp collects lit Value and advances toward 3 Million plus.
^ Changed. Shooting ramp collects lit Value. Shoot drop targets to advances ramp values toward 15 Million.

Pirate Town Special: Completing Drop Targets collect Value when lit.
^ Changed. Hitting any Drop Target collects Value when lit.

#1436 5 years ago

Nice one Mikonos it would be good if somebody can confirm that "Shooting Weapons targets increases Jackpot value".

Btw I think Bangarang is spelled with an "a".

Also, for Bangarang its more consistent to use the ramp names e.g.

Shoot Skull to lite Value. Shoot Scoop to collect Value. Completing all six Values lites Bangarang. Bangarang bonus starts at 5M. Each shot to Baseball Ramp, Skull, Windcoaster Ramp, Strike, or Clock Shop will increase Bangarang Bonus by 5M.

All minor stuff though, they look brill can't wait to get some

#1438 5 years ago

I thought Bangarang was a made up word but is actually in the dictionary meaning an "uproar or disturbance"

1 week later
#1446 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

skull shot is ok but kick out from scoop 1 out of 4 goes sdtm !!

Mine always hits the left flipper, but with Chads V5 code you get a ball save timer when the ball ejects from the scoop.

I get some sdtm too from missed ramps, I'm advised the machine needs to be setup steeper.

Btw once you're on V5 code there is no pay off to nailing the windcoaster over and over

#1450 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

That's a bummer.....I would gladly pay for them

Quoted from Mikonos:

I will finish this custom card serie for me, I will show them printed in chrome vinyl and, If you like results, I will order copies for you too.

I hope we can get them when Mikonos is good and ready.

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

have not put in the 5.01 chips yet I assume that is what everyone has?

I seriously couldn't imagine downgrading back from chads Hook code, if people aren't running it yet then they should be.

#1458 5 years ago

My only thing i would like changed is re lighting the back right flasher. I remember people were complaining about it from what i remember. Id like to see it do something.

Does it not flash at all? It defo does on mine (at 5.0.1) when the ball is in the shooter lane I think.

#1464 5 years ago

Mikonos they look brilliant printed on the silver card, I'm defo interested in a set please.

I've spotted a typo, Windcaster should be Windcoaster - this typo must have snuck in since the rules I wrote in post #1427

#1468 5 years ago

Mikonos I can't wait to buy a set of these, I particularly like the silvered card you printed them on but the glossy looks great too.

Is that right for the system name "East/Sega Version 3"?

#1476 5 years ago

Hi Mikonos I'm interested in copies, are you going to print on the silvered card as that looked great?

1 week later
#1481 5 years ago

A while back I posted this link to a flame lit Hook topper using a spinning pumpkin light. I have the classic arcades repro topper and wanted to install similar lighting.

We don't have much pumpkin stuff in the UK but I tracked down and ordered this in from Amazon US. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074N83HKK
20180614_153729 (resized).jpg20180614_153729 (resized).jpg

It's actually really effective and makes the topper pop, I think the youtube guy used more than one. It runs on 3x AAA so I guess could be wired into the 5V, also has an auto on/off cycle of 6/18 hrs. Here's a static pic but its like the youtube video
20180614_153344 (resized).jpg20180614_153344 (resized).jpg

#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

looking at picture it looks like my windcoaster ramp is too low , the top of the skull is about even with the red rope, can anyone post a pic of what elevates the ramp on the right side of the playfield ?

I'm interested to know if mine is correct, the right side kind of rests on the ramp exit wire form and the points marked below. I've also attached a picture showing how it's lined up front on to the skull. Sometimes a slow ball will slow right down on the uphill before rolling down the other side (I like that!).

20180619_171019 (resized).jpg20180619_171019 (resized).jpg

#1492 5 years ago

Hey Hook club, Mikonos custom apron cards with V5 rules arrived today. I'm really pleased with them, I went for the photo paper which is glossy and bright, Fast delivery (to UK anyway) and well packaged. Recommended and worth the wait

20180620_165736 (resized).jpg20180620_165736 (resized).jpg
20180620_170312 (resized).jpg20180620_170312 (resized).jpg
20180620_170320 (resized).jpg20180620_170320 (resized).jpg

#1498 5 years ago

Welcome aboard the Jolly Roger by_wizardry

All of my machines have arrived pretty mucky, so I do strip the playfield to clean everything, plastics, ramps, the inserts from underneath, clean bulbs, replace dead bulbs, fix any obvious faults and probably a new rubber kit (whilst its easy to get at). Hook is particularly bad as the Windcoaster blocks access to a lot of the rear playfield area for regular cleaning. Thereafter I just dust and polish the exposed areas with everything intact as needed. Yours don't look too bad can enjoy a few games first which is a good opportunity to enjoy the game (and note any faults)

Here's a pic of my shooter lane which looks similarly offset to yours and I've not found it a problem. Saying that I don't always hit the skillshots too!

20180625_100936 (resized).jpg20180625_100936 (resized).jpg

#1500 5 years ago
Quoted from by_wizardry:

Do you have any pro tips on removing playfield parts for Hook specifically or for noobs in general?

Hook is a right old jigsaw with regards the ramps. Take off what comes off easy first then other bits follow, lots of digital photos and some people put things in numbered zippy bags as they go. Then the pro-tip (which sounds obvious) put it back together in reverse following your numbered bags and photos!

#1502 5 years ago

Can somebody with an original topper let me know how far it's mounted back from the front/top of the backbox. The top of my backbox has no screw holes for it making me think one wasn't fitted originally, strange as I assumed it would have been included with the machine when new.

Thanks.

#1507 5 years ago

I was having my best game recently, unfortunately mid multiball jackpots the coin door swung open disrupting my zone in

On 5.0.1 I'm still noticing loss of pirate town awards when two drops are hit simultaneously

#1509 5 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

Finally beat Chad's default!

Great guns ChriX - is yours on 3 or 5 ball setting? Since I switched mine to 3 I struggle to hit the lower scores so don't rack that up on my machine when you're at Pinfest please

#1511 5 years ago

For the olden code, there is an entertaining podcast describing a scoring strategy, and guess what, it's not shoot the Windcoaster all day long;
https://ia601307.us.archive.org/24/items/BGEP33HOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK/BG-EP33-HOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK.mp3

Would be good to discuss the new strategy for the modern Hook 5 "balanced scoring" regime.

#1514 5 years ago

Another option I've seen fitted on a machine are the Hook Movie Action Figures but they're a strange likeness

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1516 5 years ago
Quoted from RebootMac:

Any one have a picture of the original pop center pop bumper plastic?

Check out Crash shop photos https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/hook/gallery/shopout and the topic gallery for this thread.
The centre bumper has two stacked tree plastics with spacers, a member on here vbobrusev was making repros

#1520 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

All of my controlled lamps that are on the Blue/red line (CN6 connector ,third position from left ) stay on constantly . Anyone know what might be a common cause for this ? tested the diodes and resistors on the board near there but I am not sure which ones are tied to the Blue /red wire , maybe I am missing something ?

So if you have all lamps in Row 6 (Red-Blu) stuck on it's permanently grounded. There is a t/shooting procedure in this article - "Row of Lamps Always On"
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#row-always-on

Not the whole answer but you'll then know if it's a pf short or board problem.

#1530 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I am 99 % sure it is the transistor on the board

With the whole row stuck on I'm sure you're right it's the row transistor. The procedure above is good for individual lamps lighting when they shouldn't.

Btw, great work on the Hook shop and loving the wooden effect metal work (that DE metalwork sure does rust). I missed your thread as the game wasn't linked, have done it now

2 weeks later
#1537 5 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Has anyone had an issue with balls getting stuck at the back of the right side of the game from a hard ball plunge or errand bounce?

I've not heard of that, something may be missing or wrong, a photo would help.

The only common hang-up I'm aware of is at the pin to the back/left of the skull which needs adjusting out sometimes.

#1540 5 years ago

On the latest 5.01 code I think there's still a problem that pirate town specials aren't awarded if 2 targets drop simultaneously. Anybody else seeing this?

#1544 5 years ago

Hey Hook mates. Am setting up my Hook for a show in a few weeks and thinking how tall it sits. It has 30.5" black ribbed legs and the top of the front of the machine is then over 40" including levelers. I know that DE moved to 30.5" black ribbed at some stage but I'm not sure definitively when (some say at GnR) and what should be on Hook.

Was wondering what legs you guys have on Hook?

Thanks.

#1546 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

confused by switch matrix chart it lists a left and right EOS but the flippers never had eos switches ?

You're right, if you look on Inkochnitos tech chart he lists switch 15 and 16 as the flipper switches. I don't know why EOS switches would be on the matrix even if Hook had them as they work locally to the flipper mech.

In return, can you tell me what length the legs are on your Hook?

#1547 5 years ago

Looking at the switches involved - Right flipper 16 defo suspect. I had a problem with the SS flipper board on my Hook and another symptom was that it wizzed through the diagnostics options as though I was pressing the flipper button.

#1549 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Asty My legs are 28.2 inche(excluding the threaded foot) for the fronts and 30.5 for the back legs

Thanks, I haven't heard or considered mismatched legs as standard.

#1551 5 years ago

pinballjj on mine and others I've heard it can be hard setting it steep enough, perhaps that's why yours has longer legs fitted on the back at some point.

Good luck researching SW14 it's common to each "square" of phantom activation's that you're getting and shouldn't be normally closed. Perhaps you can unplug the SS flipper board whilst in switch diagnostics and test combinations.

#1553 5 years ago

SW16/Right flipper - yeah. Below are the "squares" you're playing with. Depending on what Troughs are closed do only the switches on their same row/col 7 activate when the Right bumper fires?

#1556 5 years ago

This problem is strange as the symptoms suggest that the diode on SW16 (or perhaps the right bumper) is shorted, but for that to be true and the phantom activations the shorted diode switch also needs be closed. If it was stuck closed it would show as such in diagnostics but you report it never registers, so I'd focus on that problem. According to the schematic on Pg 48 SW16 has a regular blocking diode, but where is it, on the SSFB maybe? It also occurs to me that this switch has two functions at the CPU, the flipper and the lane change feature, does that work?.

This thread is very similar and was the diode on the flipper but that was in the earlier days of EOS switches. Post #3 links to a procedure to check if the problem is on the boards.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-switch-matrix-issues

Good luck it may be worth starting a thread on the tech forum this is getting beyond me.

1 week later
#1569 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Are there any "must-haves"?

I agree with the above, the ChadH code is the only "must-have" if you can call that a mod. It's interesting that this game holds it's own and doesn't need modding. Saying that I have the Retro Refurbs alt translite which has really grown on me, they do art blades and have just added "Black Edition" cabinet decals.

#1571 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What does the chadh code do exactly?

It's described here, but basically a bunch of tweeks, fixes and improvements sympathetic to the original game intent.
http://www.pinballcode.com/hook501

#1574 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I would like to get the 5.01.

Defo it's so much better. You need a new 5.0.1 CPU ROM and 5.0.0 Display ROM and install in your machine. The process is described here :-
http://www.pinballcode.com/downloads/

Depending on where you are there are normally helpful Pinball people that will burn them for you (maybe for a fee). If you like the result send ChadH a donation for his work the link is on his pinballcode.com site.

2 months later
#1607 5 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

and now, it seems like the diverter often times will actuate and close before the ball gets to it

If you've moved the machine maybe a closed switch elsewhere on the pf, so the diverter thinks the ball is back in play and closes? Check the diagnostics.

Quoted from DBLM:

For what it is worth, I am not seeing skill shot 3 light up now (mostly, just 2)

You rarely see skill shot 3 - Extra Ball (or 1 - Multiball) and then only on the last ball if you're scoring badly. I think chadh describes the rules somewhere in this thread.

1 week later
#1617 5 years ago

Hey crash do you know the size or part number for the bracket and gate.

I have the pf out today (as am fitting art blades) so could take some pics for you - glad I did as the rail side of my gate had come out of the bracket (see first photo!), might explain how the odd ball made it back down under the skill shot ramp. The gate appears quite standard to me about 100mm wide attaching to the back post with double rubber rings and screwed into the top of the side rail, under the skill shot ramp just behind the 3 skill shot hole, you may still have the screw hole in the side rail. It's relatively inaccessible, even for photos you'd need to remove the skill shot ramp (at least) to get to it.

20181109_120516 (resized).jpg20181109_120516 (resized).jpg

20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg

20181109_122528 (resized).jpg20181109_122528 (resized).jpg

#1622 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

post pics with the art blades!

Here you go. They're the Retro Refurbs Map version. The insides of my cab were getting scraped by lifting the tight pf, these are pretty tough and I hope will abate that for a while.

20181112_121316 (resized).jpg20181112_121316 (resized).jpg20181112_121519 (resized).jpg20181112_121519 (resized).jpg20181112_122154 (resized).jpg20181112_122154 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1630 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

your pirate town structure looks like it have lost most of its paint, just like mine,

Not sure what you mean here's some closer photos - all machines I've seen have been like this Take care messing with this part, very hard to find a replacement these days.

20181122_143914 (resized).jpg20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg20181122_143937 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1635 5 years ago
Quoted from zFabi:

Hey everyone, any ideas how to prevent the Playfield from Sliding back down the cab when lifting it up? Or am i missing a Part ?

I found this useful, the hook and chain was missing from mine initially, and I sourced a hook from another Hook. Also, make sure the rails are firmly attached to the cab, mine were loose making lifting the pf unstable. The other thing I like is that the cable loom is long enough that you can lift the pf right out (blinking heavy!) and lean it against the cab even reaches to the front without unplugging anything.

#1636 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

do you think that is the original look or was it redone?

I reckon the pirate towns were painted from the inside by hand so all look different. The roof on mine is grey/blue your seems to be the same colour as the walls. The Skulls too, I like the fact they all look unique.

1 month later
#1654 5 years ago
Quoted from doodlesdaddy:

Im thinking of putting new cabinet decals on my Hook. Anybody know a paint to match the red to paint the cabinet prior to decal install? Thanks

I touched up the original red cab paint using Reeves - "Rose Madder" Acryic which was an excellent match. Check out retrorefurbs Hook decal options, he does a black version too now, side blades and alt translite. Actually it was him that put me onto the red paint as he was high end shopping out a Hook at the same time. I recommend their products I have the blades and translite fitted, service and back up from them are top notch.

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from Michiganguy:

Hey guys I know this could be laughable and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there either but if anybody knows where I could get a baseball ramp or maybe even the wind coaster ramp I would greatly appreciate you letting me know where they could be found I have a crack and like wind coaster and I repaired it so I'm good for now I would love to get a hold of my new one and the baseball ramp has definitely seen better days thanks for any info I've looked online myself and all I can say is it makes me feel like I lost my marbles LOL

A lot of baseball aka Rufio ramps are trollied. Fortunately @freeplay40 recently reproduced an upgraded version.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps

Dunno about the windcoaster that it was one awesome ramp (one of the best in pinball imho) and NOS ones are drying up these days.

#1659 5 years ago
Quoted from Brich:

Hook question...ball isn’t kicking out of the skill shot trough area...but only during multi ball. The kicker works just fine during skill shot.

Does it eject if the second ball overshoots the skill shot ramp (ie activates a pf switch)? On normal skill shot does each skill hole actually register? Either way I agree with the above approach particularly checking the 4 switches 29-32 under the ramp.

2 weeks later
#1664 5 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I bought another hook and need a few plastics.
#1: the side plastic on the 1st hole skill shot
#2 the tree cover on the upper pop bumper
Thanks in advance

a member on here vbobrusev was doing repros of the whole set a while back

2 months later
#1739 5 years ago
Quoted from Rango:

That said I’m seeing the code created by chad mentioned everywhere but is there a post to see how to do it? The process would probably influence my decision to purchase or not. Thanks!

Edit: also if anyone knows of common issues on hook I should keep an eye out for. Seems like dmds are hard to come by.

Yes Chad V5 code is a must the gameplay is night and day, it says V5 on the DMD at boot. No biggy if not, just get CPU and Display Roms to swap over, someone was selling them on here at little money (and importantly donate to Chad via his site http://www.pinballcode.com/, he works the miracles!)

128x16 DMD availability used to be a problem, now can get LED replacements and multi-colour options coming along too. Saying that a "nice" machine should have a clear, bright, no lines out DMD.

My specific checks would be wear on the two holes (cliffys available), cracked ramps; Windcoaster unobtanium, Rufio (top right) freeplay40 has done an upgraded replacement. It's a DE so burnt connectors on Power Supply board but I guess you'll do the basics.

I hope it works out, Hook is an underrated machine imo.

1 week later
#1748 4 years ago

I've been tinkering with the PinballSP Magic editor to colourise the Hook DMD - in anticipation for his release of the 128x16 colour DMD (to replace my original broken one!) I thought I'd share some progress here - the gifs seem to look better if you click on them.

Hook actually only uses 3 (of 4) brightness levels (off, dim, bright) so just mapping those to new colours isn't very interesting. I'm separating out the animations, each with it's own pallet and painting a custom colour to discrete items within them, it is then a straightforward job to change the colour of an item e.g. to change the Shooter knob in the Skill shot animation from blue to something else.

This way people with good colour taste and art skill can make them better still.

Hook Rising.gifHook Rising.gif

Hook logo rising.gifHook logo rising.gif

Hook swords.gifHook swords.gif

Peter rising.gifPeter rising.gif

Skill Shot.gifSkill Shot.gif

tomatoes.giftomatoes.gif

Hook ver.gifHook ver.gif

1 week later
#1756 4 years ago

Nice indeed, your pic highlights some great artwork in the middle to back area that's largely hidden.

No to protector here too if for huo, perhaps consider if operated.

#1762 4 years ago

I'm happy to share my PinballSP DMD colouring with other Hook fans that get this Colour DMD (once available). What is holding me up is capturing the more difficult DMD events (Jackpot, Bangerang, Cannon, Clocks, Skull shot etc) using Visual Pinball which doesn't run well on my PC. If anybody can help provide more dumps from VPX, which are easy to output I'd appreciate it.

It's interesting to see the animations in detail, I've never noticed that the 3 skill shots are different and show the corresponding item on the ramp plastic.

1 month later
#1773 4 years ago

I agree with hawkeye sounds like a mech locking on, what's strange is that the related fuse isn't blowing (wrong ratings maybe). First off I'd just inspect the machine for anything obvious (power off, unplugged), lift the playfield and see if any of the mechs have charred/burnt wrappers on their coils. After that though you're likely looking at board repair too, have a look at the PPB board (bottom left in backbox) as the related drive transistor may be obviously burnt out. Anything dodgy post a photo here.

1 month later
#1789 4 years ago

vbobrusev has kindly sent me more Hook 5 VPX dumps so I have more content to work with in the SP editor.

I'm very interested to see what can be done with Hook in 128x32, obviously the current speaker panel has a narrow "slot" sized for the 128x16 display, so it will need adapting and it's pretty thick metal too!

#1794 4 years ago

I'm sure Hook will be a goer to display 128x32 with some speaker panel modification, not sure on TMNT though as the DMD sits behind a window within that pretty mirrored backglass, I wouldn't want to be scraping that back. Not our problem though this is Hook club

Skull.gifSkull.gif
#1795 4 years ago

PinballSP has released a new version of the Magic Editor that supports importing animated GIFs (think movie clips as basis for animations!) which in due course should support the 128x32 resolution of the panel used for the 128x16 DMD. So we'll have a choice of 128x32 solutions for Hook.

I thought I'd do some research - so here's Lethal Hook 3
20190806_104007 (resized).jpg20190806_104007 (resized).jpg

The LW3 panel is approx 2cm higher, so the translite and bb lamp door would need trimming accordingly and the mounting posts repositioned upwards.

Alternatively, I think there is room to cut the existing panel too to widen the DMD aperture by approx 23mm either side.

I kinda like the quirky 128x16 DMD but what's possible in 128x32 colour could be awesome.

20190806_104258 (resized).jpg20190806_104258 (resized).jpg
20190806_104619 (resized).jpg20190806_104619 (resized).jpg

#1797 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm going to move the splinter light up section from where a DMD typically goes to where the DMD is, and then put the DMD between the speakers, if it'll fit. With your LW3 bezel there you have me second guessing my ability to squeeze a full sized DMD in the TMNT area (it looks as small if not smaller than Hook's area). I maybe have to route the wood at the top of the box to slide the glass up higher; which is something you maybe could do for hook to not trim the art down?

Good ideas there, perhaps the TMNT speaker panel is the same as Hook, the "flat" area that is recessed at the back to take the DMD is 115mm high, the current aperture 48 mm. Comparing with LW3 it would need to be approx 85 mm - which would provide an acceptable top/bottom margin of 15 mm once cut. (I guess you know what slot size you need for a real Pin2DMD)

I know this is all some time off but I'm already of a mind that I don't want to cut my original speaker panel. Cutting down the bg isn't a major issue as it's a translite not screened glass, also I have a Retro Refurbs alternate that could be trimmed.

1 week later
#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from osver:

I'm in the middle of shopping out a Hook, and I had a few questions for Hook owners.
Pic 1) For the treetop plastics, how does the top one attach? Standoffs? I found the top plastic in the bottom of the cabinet.
[quoted image]
Pic 2) For the boulder plastic, where does that one belong? It was also found loose in the cabinet.
[quoted image]
Pic 3) The Peter Pan plastic, I know where it should go, but not what the mounting hardware should be. Also is the left edge broken on my plastic?
[quoted image]
Pic 4) Is there supposed to be something between the gap of the two clear plastic upright pieces? It had a bunch of electrical tape covering that space originally.
[quoted image]
Pic 5) What is this little metal piece on the wood to the right of the launch ramp area? Is it supposed to be attached to something?
[quoted image]
Pic 6 & 7) I have never seen wire wrapped around a post, like I found by the lower/center pop bumper. I'm assuming this was some wonky route hack... should those posts just have standard rubber rings on them?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Thanks for any help/pictures!

Crash has submitted a very useful gallery of shop out photos here https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/hook/gallery

pic1) tree top plastic has standoffs, pics here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/16#post-3544312

pic2) boulder plastic fits over bottom pop and a circular tree plastic, pics in a few of posts from here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/18#post-3941266

I will check the rest on my machine later.

#1808 4 years ago

pic3) yes piece missing off your Pan plastic (common) that wraps around the vuk habitrail. The plastic screws onto the back of the windcoaster ramp. (ignore the plastic behind on mine which is a spare)
20190815_082410 (resized).jpg20190815_082410 (resized).jpg
20190815_082829 (resized).jpg20190815_082829 (resized).jpg

pic3) the gap is correct, dunno why taped perhaps ball hang ups, that's never happened on mine there
20190815_082354 (resized).jpg20190815_082354 (resized).jpg

pic 5) dunno, that looks like where the skill shot ramp attaches, perhaps used as a spacer for some reason
20190815_082643 (resized).jpg20190815_082643 (resized).jpg

pic 6 and 7) that spring (or similar) is actually correct and should be one fitted on each side of the lower pop, those areas are the only (on my machine) ball hang up on the game if not adjusted out properly
20190815_082003 (resized).jpg20190815_082003 (resized).jpg
20190815_082134 (resized).jpg20190815_082134 (resized).jpg

Interesting your machine has blue pop bodies a lot seem to be, mine are yellow.

Let me know if you need any more pics always happy to help bring a Hook back to life

2 months later
#1837 4 years ago

That chaser board (520-5054-01) is very simple with just a few components, may be obvious to inspect or test with your DMM and fix if that's your kind of thing in this hobby

#1839 4 years ago
Quoted from Run22:

First i wil try to change components on the chaser bord and then i hope it wil work without using to mutch power so soundboard fail, comming with update when the soldering is done

Run22 your symptoms remind me of the thread below, where the rope pulls down the 12V supply to below the sound board threshold, the problem normally applies on 3rd party power boards (you mention original) but something else to read/check
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizarre-audio-break-up-problem-on-hook

1 month later
#1852 4 years ago

This press ad on Ebay including Hook from "back in the day" is interesting

2 months later
#1908 4 years ago

Parkshow30 good review for me chad code saved this game. I've just got a colour pin2dmd for mine looks great, side art blades too.

#1910 4 years ago

Therea no checking into it. If you loved the movie you must get one. Makes it seem like a completely different game. I was hesitant at first just because the price. After installing it i have never looked back and wondered how did i play it without pinsound.

Now I'm wanting one too. Are the Hook sounds available to download from somewhere?

#1916 4 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I did the colored screen in mine..Made the game look way more modern...

Agreed!

By default Hook only uses 2 brightness levels on the DMD which in that video are replaced by white and red only. Pin2dmd looks better still if you apply a full colouring map - vbobrusev on here has done a great job that he sells. I'm doing my own but it takes weeks!

1 week later
#1923 4 years ago

I'm playing a lot recently on the Chad 5.0.1 code and regularly notice that the Pirate awards aren't awarded for hitting just the top drop target (closest to windcoaster), I have to hit one of the bottom 3 to win it. Has anybody else noticed this? It could be machine specific but I'm sure that target registers as the bank reliably resets to the Cannon animation during normal game play.

#1925 4 years ago

Ive noticed this time to time but thought it was just me.

Interesting, I'll keep a closer eye I've only noticed it on the top target as that's easiest for me to hit, this area is mentioned in the 5.0.1 guide;

"Adjusted logic on Drop Targets to better guarantee that they will register during Pirate Town."

#1931 4 years ago
Quoted from Magellano:

Can you tell me when the knocker kick in the game?

The knocker was missing on mine so I installed one, it knocks for Replay, Match and (I think) multiple times for certain hi-scores. Perhaps other things like Bangerang and Victory award, I rarely see those!
Iirc I've read that the knocker circuit can be used for something else (play meter?) others may know the detail.

3 weeks later
#1947 4 years ago
Quoted from Troostr:

I just unpacked my new to me Hook.

Good advice above, testing groups of switches and diagnostics is your friend here for possible short or faulty switch diode causing phantom activations.

Another thought, if new to you, was it working properly before being transported?

#1955 4 years ago

@troostr I have the same RD MPU the green-blue column 6 wire is in the loom with the rest, see pic below - seems suspect yours is not as that daisy chains to the upper stand up targets (Eggs and Bees), the under pf trough at skull and the power scoop.

An easy place to see the wiring order for these connectors in the Switch Matrix chart (manual pg 24 and a few posts above) I suspect yours are correct.

You could totally rule out an MPU problem (unlikely) following the "Testing the switch columns" and "Testing the switch rows" sections here;
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#switch

This is a good resource too describing how the switch matrix works, maybe your Column 6 wire is someway shorted to Column 1 (tilts, coins, tickets etc)
http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/#column-short

20200327_080312 (resized).jpg20200327_080312 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1956 4 years ago

Bgresto are making Hook backglasses, proper printed onto glass not translite - something else to add to the ultimate Hook shopping list. I'm really liking the Retro Refurbs alt translite with the movie actors on mine.
http://bgresto.com/?p=2775

#1965 4 years ago
Quoted from erikv:

I think it says Bangarang when the whirlpool ramp hits the max value, since the value increases with drop target hits it goes up fast

Once you max the Windcoaster ramp at 15 mil, which I think is 15 pirate town drop target hits!, you do hear a lot of Bangerangs whilst 15 mil is maintained, hitting the ramp, hitting more drops, even when the left ramp status is displayed. Getting to this is a feat though (well for me), I most often hear it at multiball skillshot start and award.

Are there any recordings of the pinsound online? I do like the standard music and callouts but the pinsound shaker integration really appeals to me.

#1969 4 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Does anyone remember what the issue was when Hook would show "ball 1" when you are actually on ball #2 and then correct itself for the next ball and say "ball 3?" Its happened to me twice.

My original DMD used to reset mid game and behave similar, if so, another symptom was in a multiplayer game the other player scores would reset to 0 until the start of the next ball, also Freeplay would reset to Credits 0. In my case the "fix" was a Pin2DMD.

#1978 4 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Really seems like one of them should have been named croc time and the other croc clocks or clock time or pretty much anything other than the exact same name.

In the animations they're "Croc Time" and "Shoot Clocks", but I do agree the shot targets have varying/confusing names, insert there an insert near the outlane "return to clock shop" or similar? Earlier in this thread Mikonos worked on a Rules apron card to better reflect the new code, I'm not sure they were ever right for the old code!

bobwiley are you exercising the Combo Shot? That's one of my favourites.

#1981 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Wow those colored DMD shots look good. Is this hook getting the DMD colorized soon?

Yes, vbobrusev has made a full Pin2DMD colouring available. Those shots are from my own playing about with the editor.

1 month later
#1989 3 years ago

Bay78 I've worked on this mech on mine too, coincidentally I had a similar small bracket which didn't align with the holes and I corrected using a part found in the bottom of the cab! The top side doesn't look right either, it looks off centre and mine has a curved rubber tip v similar to a the slingshot kicker arm.

Perhaps better photos in crash shop out gallery in the Hook game area. https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/hook/gallery

Before
WP_20150805_15_18_56_Pro__highres (resized).jpgWP_20150805_15_18_56_Pro__highres (resized).jpg

After - bottom
WP_20150805_18_11_54_Pro__highres (resized).jpgWP_20150805_18_11_54_Pro__highres (resized).jpg
WP_20160723_10_48_49_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20160723_10_48_49_Pro (resized).jpg

Top kicker tip
20200527_151423 (resized).jpg20200527_151423 (resized).jpg

#1991 3 years ago

Bay78 I've been trawling some more on this as mine is suspect too. Based on coil wire colours this mech is referred in the manual (Pg 29) as "Big Kick" which has a parts breakdown of "Power Scoop / Kick Big Assy" (Pg 41). I think the mounting bracket shown in this breakdown is for the power scoop only as the tip would mount below the playfield. Here are some parts I've found though;

Kicker arm (like yours and crash pic) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5044-00
Kicker arm bracket (like mine) https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-5048-00 I think this matches your earlier mounting holes and would move the kicker tip back over.

Also, what coil do you have I note mine is a 23-800 but the schematic shows a 22-600

Hopefully somebody can post us a decent pic of this mech on an unmolested machine to clear this up

#1994 3 years ago

Im seeing a 23-800 coil on mine with same exact black beast labeling.

Interesting, the manual refers Big Kick as a 22-600 in a couple of places, I think I swapped it on mine for the 23-800 which is common, less powerful but does the job.

#1996 3 years ago
Quoted from MadMax1998:

And finally, the left flipper coil is of the wrong type and should be weaker than the right one; yet I can usually make the Rufio ramp shot. I guess replacing that is in order.

Welcome to the club. Your flipper coils look correct to me per Pg 28 in the manual.

1 month later
#2019 3 years ago

Have wanted mirror blades for Hook but my cabinet is just too tight to fit them. I cut some home made from 1mm HIP mirror sheet that just sit on top of the pf wood rails, so remove them to lift the pf. I'm really pleased with them for a first attempt.

20200702_151331 (resized).jpg20200702_151331 (resized).jpg
20200702_153541 (resized).jpg20200702_153541 (resized).jpg
20200702_154428 (resized).jpg20200702_154428 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2030 3 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

I found this connector, I don't know where it goes.

Same on mine, I'd always assumed some kind of different coin setup or similar

1 month later
#2042 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I don't color games anymore.

Pity, I was hoping you'd add some 32 px scene magic like you did on Turtles, I've been planning a larger aperture speaker panel ready. I may have a play with my colouring project some of the existing animations can obviously be stretched or extended to the full panel.

I wonder if the new ColorDMD H-LED product can address 32 px like Pin2DMD.

#2043 3 years ago

Started experimenting with extending animations to 32px on my Pin2DMD

Coloured in 16px letterbox
Hook Rising.gifHook Rising.gif

Extended to full panel height
Hook Rising 32x.gifHook Rising 32x.gif

Reworked to exercise the display
Hook Rising 32x 2.gifHook Rising 32x 2.gif

4 months later
#2069 3 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

Is anyone aware of a custom apron card with instructions for the 5.01 game code?

Yeah, Mikonos has done some, they're in the topic gallery for this thread, I helped him with the rules.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astyy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back?tu=astyy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.