IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mocean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 9 years ago

Just joined the club on Saturday. Pretty sure non-club members would find me insane for paying to ship a Hook! My 4yo son is sure glad I did though.

I'm very impressed with the layout of the playfield. I feel like the shot layout is reminiscent of Cyclone in the center and right scoops (flipped from cyclone), ramp placement and skillshot, plus the location of the pan book shot feels like the skeeball shot from comet.

I haven't had the game long and I know you guys didn't want to be critical BUT, I must say, when your shooter lane feeder coil is intermittent, that skillshot tune and speech call can get grating very quickly. Whoever thought putting speech calls in service mode was a good idea!?

Anyway, I'm glad to be in the club, and I hope I can get my coil issues straightened out quickly!

#63 9 years ago

Man, if you bring your insane sculpting skills to, say... Skull rock or that crazy plastic on the left hand side of the cabinet (what is that thing supposed to be anyway!!?) that'd be great!

Glad to see someone put normal star posts on the slings. That was going to be the first thing I did after adjusting the leaf switches on the slings. Glad to see they fit without problems. These black posts look sort of ...budget.

Quoted from winteriscoming:

Here's a few pics of my mods.
Once I finish up my T-REX mod for JP, I've got some ideas for a few things that could be improved on Hook.

8 months later
#73 9 years ago

Adjust your spoon switches?

Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Joined the hook club last night!!! Everything works great except for the pop bumpers. Sometimes they barely work, most of the time nothing at all. Any ideas?

#78 9 years ago

That looks great. What paint did you use? My legs and lockdown both need a good once over.

You should consider switching to star posts for the slings. I prefer the way it looks.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#86 9 years ago

I'm still planning to do a P-ROC project on Hook that's a full color DMD. Lots of projects on the burner but the P-ROC and Sys11 driver board are pretty much ready to go. When I finish my latest round of upgrades to my framework (native Sys11/DE support) I'll probably switch to working on this instead of T2.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-hook-p-roc-project-ideas-about-rules#post-1856991

#91 9 years ago

I'd say Hook has more potential but F-14 is already there. Plus if you're going to P-ROC one of them you can just run Snux's code. I say do it...

3 months later
#108 8 years ago

I was tempted to sell and leave the club, but a play test when getting it ready for sale has seemingly brought me back in.

I have a an issue that hopefully someone can suggest a solution for: the scoop on the right kicks the ball out at crazy angles, sometimes weak, sometimes strong enough. From underneath, there's certainly some play in the hole that holds the kicker arm and unfortunately, the way this was built, I'm not sure how to compensate for the slop short of replacing the "kick big mounting bracket sub assembly" (which provides the stud that goes through the kicker arm pivot hole). http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/mgfr9h3/products/2360/images/2381/515-5521-00__75162.1396386755.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Any advice out there?

Thanks!

#109 8 years ago

Wow, my Hook was messed up!

I discovered that my left ramp "made" switch hadn't been registering and I don't know for how long. Looks like the switch wire had come lose from the actual switch and previous owner tried to fix it with heat shrink tubing ...and only the heat shrink. When I got under the windcoaster ramp I found both GI bulbs were burned out and the rubber on that side was disgusting. Took the opportunity to clean the area.

I also tracked down a bunch of lamp issues including a bad column driver and two different GI problems (one was a bad contact on a prior plug repair, the other seems to be a bad solder joint up on the p/s --that one I still haven't done yet).

Man, Hook is Fun when the game is actually working. Shouldn't be a shock that not having the payout for the left ramp really cripples the game, and yet I'm still somehow surprised at how much more fun it is now.

Keep on hating Peter Pan, everybody!

#112 8 years ago

I picked up a small bag of plastics for my Hook at Pintastic. Which Skillshot plastic is correct?

Thanks!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I have the circle one as my mutliball. But the dagger looks cool too!

Thanks. I'll probably go with the dagger since my circle one is cracked.

Also, it pays to replace your PPB J5 header and pins. Now: GI is back
image.jpgimage.jpg

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from KCMike:

I'm shopping my Hook and noticed some great artwork hidden under the Wincoaster, Skull and other stuff!
Seriously considering reworking things to show this stuff off....
IMG_1388.JPG

I agree completely about the art on the playfield. I was fixing an issue with my windcoaster and pulled off the "book" plastic in the back left of the playfield. Behind it is that reflective mirror and a really nice reflected view of the VUK shot and the art leading too. I didn't put that plastic back on.

Another example is how the rocks plastic under the skull looks nice, but is almost completely obscured by the wireform mount point. Haven't figured out how to expose that yet.

Keep us posted!!

#124 8 years ago

Looks like your white/yellow GI wire to the upper playfield region is out. I'd check J5 pin 6 on the PPB. It's connected to both the playfield and the coin door. Mine was out too. Really shoddy wiring, burnt connector, and cold solder joints galore.

I reflowed the solder on my power supply board, changed the J5 connector on the PPB, and built a new wiring harness using the box style trifurcon pins. Here it is half way done (J5 pins replaced, plug not yet replaced). Look how hideous that wiring was! I think someone "repaired" that before me, too.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Quoted from Elevatorman:

I have joined the Hook Club!
Its a working routed game so it needs a major shop job.IMAG3233.jpg

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I was
I have a an issue that hopefully someone can suggest a solution for: the scoop on the right kicks the ball out at crazy angles, sometimes weak, sometimes strong enough. From underneath, there's certainly some play in the hole that holds the kicker arm and unfortunately, the way this was built, I'm not sure how to compensate for the slop short of replacing the "kick big mounting bracket sub assembly" (which provides the stud that goes through the kicker arm pivot hole).

I finally fixed this issue, thought is post here in case anyone else ever needs this info: I slightly moved the kicker arm mount so it rotated ever so slightly, as it looked like the side of the kicker arm might have been binding against at another piece of metal down there. I also replaced the coil sleeve. Once it was ejecting freely it was smacking the ball into the wireform above it because the scoop angle had clearly gotten out of wack. Some mild bending and now it's totally fixed.

I also found a slew more blown GI bulbs under the plastics in the upper left section of the playfield (under the windcoaster). Man those are a pain to change but so worth doing.

I also put some yellow flipper rubber on instead of the super bands I had on there. You don't realize how differently they play until you take them off.

1 week later
#131 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I am thinking about repro-ing the ramps. I want to gauge some the level on interest before trying to offer it to others.
thanks

would depend on price but I'm interested

#136 8 years ago

On my machine, I have a spot for a center post but none is installed. Is a center post standard on Hook? I just noticed a bunch of Visual Pinball tables of Hook have it in place.

Thanks

2 weeks later
#148 8 years ago

Are you sure the protectors are stock on the MNF ramp? I suppose they are but seeing the regular bolt holding it on makes me wonder.

Also, in the SoF ramps thread, it was discovered that the length of the metal protectors used were different on prototypes and early run machines relative to later ones.

#152 8 years ago

Left the club... but all that means is that someone else is joining it

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

And I assume it was my apron cards that sealed the deal... Ha

They sure didn't hurt! They really do look great when they're printed out. If anyone out there is on the fence, get off it and print a set of these.

Now to see if you have ones for Monopoly...

2 months later
#176 8 years ago

I had a pinsound board in my hook and it was not the easiest title to replace the sounds on.

The issue I faced repeatedly is that several of the sound samples, at least to my ears, sounded as though they were exactly the same. I wasn't exactly sure which ones were being played when.

One thing I considered was replacing all of the wav's with my voice calling out a number so I could figure out when which sound calls were actually made. Another option would be to create a PSSREC file directly on the machine while I took a video with the glass and hitting all the switches to figure out exactly when the sound calls were being used.

Fundamentally though, if you wanted to do something /very/ different with the sounds, but the game's programmers used the exact same sound call in multiple modes at different times, you're stuck. You could add multiple wave files in that folder to at least randomize which sounds you hear, but you need to make sure then that you choose a sound or set of sounds that are applicable for both modes. Tricky stuff.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from Bigmoog:

Hi all,
Hoping for some help here - the row of drop targets underneath the ship on the left went nuts in the middle of a game, up and down repeatedly, then went down and have stay down. They pop up a bit every so often but have not come back up fully.
I have no experience with pinball repair, so hopefully this is an easy fix.....
Thanks!

Sounds like it could be a pinched wire on the left hand side. Any chance you had the playfield up recently?

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb37.pdf

Quoted from bobwiley:

I don't know if you saw, but I sent you a PM awhile back on looking into doing a P-Roc board for Hook. Just curious on your experience on what would be the best software program to use, if what I wanted to do would be doable, and how relatively daunting the task would be.

Sorry. Looking back in my email that came in the day before I left for Expo... Things were a little hectic

It's possible to re-write everything, today, with a P-ROC and one of Mark/Snux's System 11 driver boards, but it's not clear if you'll be able to drive that tiny DMD. The Data East architecture for these machines had the dmd data stored on a ROM on a board connected to the DMD itself. You'd have to bypass that board to draw to the stock display, or figure out the signal timings to be able to trigger the stock display animations and text. That's why swapping out the display is so appealing. You could easily drop in a new speaker panel and house a full size dmd and run that from the proc easily, but you'd need to get a custom translite. Several folks told me it would be possible to drive the small dmd directly, but I never tried it.

Display issues aside, programming a game is not for the faint of heart. I've been working on a framework that makes it easier to program a game from scratch, but you have to be committed to the project, and to a learning process that can be frustrating at times.

The MPF guys are working on their framework to make it possible for anyone to make a game relatively easily, and they claim without any programming. A lot of the functionality you would need is very bleeding edge for them (supporting the AC relay, for example).

Regardless of the platform you chose you have to be committed to finish a project like this. It's wildly rewarding and a great learning experience.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from rcjwhipp:

On my hook, there is a credit, the start button works in switch test, but it won't start the game. There are no balls missing either.
Any ideas would be helpful

In service mode-switch test: are all three trough switches reporting closed and is the shooter lane reporting open?

4 months later
#372 8 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Chad, is there a way you could assign callouts individually rather than having them "shared?" To my understanding, certain switches are assigned the same sound file. It would be great if each action recalled its own sound location so more variety was added. By any chance do you know if we can modify the sound files? Maybe replace the chip to add better ones?

Wow. What an awesome idea. Triggering new sound call outs + adding a PinSound board would /really/ add new life. Serves me right for selling my Hook

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mocean.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back?tu=Mocean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.