IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#878 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop? I've just finished restoring my hook and I'm missing this plastic. It looks from pictures to have some rivets in it. Thanks for any help. Oh and here's my hook. Before and after.

That is incredible! Can you give me a quick rundown on your process?

1 month later
#899 6 years ago

If all goes well I'll be in the club by the end of the day. Only problem is the owner doesn't have keys so it's going to be a bit of a leap of faith if there are any problems, and moving it if I have to use the dolly. Who knows what might be in the coin box that might come crashing down. My Jurassic park captures the balls that are in the trough even when the playfield is lifted, is hook the same?

#901 6 years ago

My Jurassic park key worked! Woop!

#903 6 years ago

Got home and got a little more playtime on it. The wind coaster switch (2nd one) is out so no jackpots til that gets sorted but other than that it's in real good shape, cabinet and playfield. Minor wear around the scoops is about it! Going to need some cliffys. Now I need to RTFM and figure out how to get this wind coaster ramp up to mess with that switch!

I couldn't believe that key worked, it's like it was meant to be. This is the first pin I ever loved, it's awesome to have it in the house.

#905 6 years ago

The white / green wire was actually disconnected from the switch. It was a real PITA to get to some of those nuts to remove enough parts to get the ramp up but I'm back up and windcoasting.

You guys like the 5.0 code? Probably going to get some roms burned by my main man and pinside user @meloyelo.

#907 6 years ago

Heh no shitskies!

Here's a spooky Halloween story for you. The key on my key ring that worked on the hook I had never seen wasn't from Jurassic park like I assumed (I thought it was odd I had it on my key ring). I have no idea what it goes to or where it came from.

1 week later
#917 6 years ago

Get Meloyelo51 to burn em for you

#919 6 years ago

About to shop my hook. Any pro tips for getting the Ramps and electronics out of the way? Thinking about installing quick disconnects on everything under the playfield that needs to get lifted. When I tried to remove the wind coaster ramp to get to the #2 switch it was such a p.i.t.a.

#920 6 years ago

Installed chad 5.0 roms today. Anyone have a word issue where all other scores show as zero during multiplayer? Not all the time, probably about half. Happened randomly but they always showed the correct score at the end of the game, just zeroes during gameplay. Also did not show the correct ball number. Did not have this issue before.

1 week later
#939 6 years ago

Chad: I'll get a video tomorrow if I can. It definitely appears to be the dmd resetting. I was suspecting the socket for the rom possibly as the culprit and thought I may have damaged it swapping the ICs. These sockets suck as they have clearance between the socket and board and almost none between socket and chip making it difficult to remove.

#959 6 years ago

I have the pot turned all the way down and my hook is still too loud. Is the volume pot going bad or is this something else? It seems like it has actually gotten louder over the last few weeks.

#965 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

My LW3 did this. Could only go from pretty loud to incredibly loud. Replaced the pot and no difference. Swapped the soundboard with one from a friends Star Wars and it works great. Tried comparing boards with a multimeter but couldn’t figure out what was bad on mine. Ordered a PinSound a few days ago with the Black Friday sale. Don’t tell my wife.
I can bring over my known working soundboard and we can swap and see if it fixes it.

Hey it's you! Cool deal we'll make it happen some time.

1 week later
#979 6 years ago

Re: dmd resetting. I cannot make it happen by jiggling any wires, shaking the machine or any physical movement. It seems to happen when there is a lot going on in the game, esp. Multiball. I did try reseating the cables and display ROM.

1 week later
#1007 6 years ago

Re: the scoop: What's your playfield angle?

1 week later
#1025 6 years ago

A lot of people are having weird DMD issues after upgrading ROMs. I'm going to see if I can find my old roms and see if it fixes the problem or if it's a coincidental hardware issue.

1 week later
#1036 6 years ago

Any of you guys ever have an issue where you've got a pretty good ball going and it will start yelling "bangarang" after hitting any of the major shots?

#1048 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Happens during a good ball? Maybe you started the Bangarang mode from the scoop? In this mode, all the major shots award 5M and the Bangarang voice call is played.

Definitely not that. Last night I took the glass off and tried to recreate it. I couldn't recreate it exactly but I found out that after hitting the drops 12-ish times it calls bangarang for every single drop that gets hit, so it may have been that. The only times it's happened is during a really good multiball so that makes sense could also have possibly been a stuck switch on a drop but I doubt that. Might have just been a coincidence but I really thought I remembered it happening when you hit the ramps or scoops.

#1051 6 years ago

Okay pinfriends... ya boy Chalkey finally hunkered down and did some troubleshooting / diagnosing of what's going on with the DMD resets and sound issues. I put the 2.08 ROMs back in hook and did my best to get it to get the DMD to reset or have any other problems and I was unable. Rock solid with the glass off hitting all the switches in rapid succession, multiball, etc. Could not get it to have any faults. I put the 5.0 ROMs back in and ended up having the same issues and narrowed it down to this: If I hit 2 of the drop targets at the same time, or in relatively quick succession, it will cause either a DMD corrupted image or reset of the DMD (blank, then displays code version). I could replicate this over and over. Can anyone else who is having the same issues verify that this is what causes the DMD reset on their machine as well? I also entered switch test mode and hit the drops and was unable to get the DMD to restart or show a corrupt image.

There's got to be something really funky going on with this that some people are having issues and some aren't. Maybe one of the people burning the ROMs has a corrupt image or bad batch of chips or something. Maybe a different rev. DMD or something? I can't make sense of it.

MarAlb and V_piscopo who burned your ROMs? I'd be willing to pony up for another set to see if it's a ROM chip or image issue. If you have a second to verify please test hitting all the drops at the same time, you don't need to be in a multiball or anything. I just verified starting the game, not even fully removing the glass and hitting all the drops will cause a DMD reset (

). ChadH if there's any other toubleshooting I can do please let me know. Your code update is awesome and makes this game so much better I really want to be able to use it without these issues.

#1053 6 years ago

ChadH here you go. I guess sometimes it happens with one. Sometimes it's artifacting, sometimes it's a blank DMD which seems like a reset and sometimes it's a full reset that goes back to displaying the code version.

#1057 6 years ago

Matt did my ROMs too. Still could possibly be a bad batch of chips, or if he used a different downloaded image for some.

#1059 6 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

I got my ROMS from two different placed and both have the same issue

The plot thickens.

So if on my game 4.08 code has no problems and 5.0 does it would make you think it's a software issue / memory leak/overrun or something funky. But the fact that some people run the same software with no problems whatsoever makes you think it's a DMD / hardware issue on the non-working machines.

The back of my DMD just says "Data East Dot Matrix Display" and "Cherry Electrical Products 4176-C-[". Anybody got anything different?

#1062 6 years ago

ChadH fantastic observation! Holding the flipper and going through the instant info just blanked out my dmd and caused the ball 1 credits 0 display.

#1064 6 years ago

Right after bonus value is displayed (when left ramp value should show). First time I did it this time it played all the way through. I let it continue scrolling and second time it reset.

#1072 6 years ago

ChadH I'm not sure what you'll be able to read from this but it seems like it skips it.

Drop targets:

Instant info:

I'm not going to be around to do any more testing until Friday but I'm happy to continue guinnea pigging when I get home that morning.

#1081 6 years ago

ChadH, hero to us all, has updated the code and seems to have resolved the resetting display issue. I can't get it to happen manually hitting the drops or with the instant info. He told me he's going to look at making some more changes and put out an official release sometime soon.

Thank you!!! It's donation time next payday.

#1092 6 years ago

Nice, the ball save flasher has been in my mind.

What are the qualifiers for multiball or extra ball on the final skill shot? And are the multiball skill shots random?

#1115 6 years ago

It's a good idea to get out what you can of the old solder but if you don't have a wick or desoldering vacuum handy just adding some fresh solder hasn't failed me yet. I wish you were a tad closer I'd have an excuse to use my new hakko desoldering iron!

#1145 6 years ago

No that flashing is normal, as long as you get the left ramp display I think you're good.

1 week later
#1195 6 years ago

I feel like it's okay now since the multiball is fairly easily attainable. It's not crazy to get 3 a game if you're dialed in on the ramp > VUK shot. That said it might be a fun change and I wouldn't be upset. Do yall feel like some days it seems like the VUK has a magnet in it and some days a post right in front?

#1205 6 years ago

I like the blue ones and think they'd match really nicely but I'm priced out at $100, especially without seeing them in someone's pin first.

#1209 6 years ago

I just did cliffys on mine. Be sure to patch up the wood before installing or the edges of the cliffy will raise up. I'm too scared for flame polishing!

#1225 6 years ago

He must have had some already made when I ordered mine and put them in the mail the same day because it was stupid fast. Like he went back in time and shipped them. I couldn't believe it.

No need to rush the job as long as your playfield damage doesn't extend past 1/4 inch or so (whatever the thickness of a cliffy is). Even if it does you've already got to paint anyways so screw it. He's an awesome vendor with a great rep, just place an order and wait it out.

#1231 6 years ago

Put wood filler in, sand it flat and install the cliffy over it. I just did this to mine and it looked similar to yours.

#1241 6 years ago

Welcome to the club! Get your cliffys and new code on your way in (actually wait for ChadH's update them get your new code).

#1245 6 years ago

The ball 1 / scores zero is the big bug that is being addressed. It's the DMD resetting.

#1248 6 years ago

That's cool! I never heard of it. Can you post a video?

#1252 6 years ago

If it happens after holding down the left flipper and having "instant info" run though and restart at "left ramp value" it's the code issue.

Are my drop targets mis-adjusted or does it sometimes not give you the pirate ship awards with only 1 drop target?

#1262 6 years ago

Again...

If it happens during instant info or after hitting drop targets it's a code issue.

#1281 6 years ago

The one matching the DMD looks pretty sweet

#1287 6 years ago

I've had one game that was around 450, i think my next closest is around 350 but after that I rarely even get above 150. Lots of repeat multiballs and jackpots.

#1299 6 years ago

Better order it before they get a cease and desist from Smee's people!

#1302 6 years ago

No, that's a first I think. Welcome! Get some cliffys and new code once ChadH's latest revision is done. I should set that as an auto reply.

#1310 6 years ago

I had delays on any ball in the skillshit area caused by the ball getting hung up at the front of the "ready to fire"switch as it was a tad too steep. Oddly enough,it would fire but take a couple extra seconds as if the code knew I hit skill shot 2 but it didn't register on the last switch for 3 or 4 seconds and fired anyways.

#1324 6 years ago

Only two buttons shouldn't be hard to figure it out. What happens when you use the black and red buttons inside the coin door?

#1327 6 years ago

I think they decrease if you have the black service menu button down while you hit the start button. It takes a long time to get them down. Welcome to the club!

#1336 6 years ago

Menu buttons. The white is daisy chained.

2018-03-07 09.51.33.jpg2018-03-07 09.51.33.jpg

#1338 6 years ago

Nope, that's where it terminates and everything looks right. All the other buttons and mechs are functioning as far as I know. Mine looks like it traces back to the "coin door open" button, where does yours go from the menu buttons? Might be a USA vs. EU thing with the coin mechs or something.

#1339 6 years ago

Quick note: For the poster above trying to make the "GC" and highscores more attainable I verified you can de-increment the high score by depressing the "up/down" menu button and hitting the start button. It still takes a long time to get from 450 to 10 million but the other poster was correct that all you need to do is lower the GC score and it will automatically bump the lower high scores down when you beat it even though they are numerically higher.

#1350 6 years ago

You can probably try jumping the wires to test and then get a new one ($12 at marcos). That is some really ugly corrosion you should try to clean as much as you can from the whole area.

#1354 6 years ago

If you play like me you never knew they were there. What's your GC?

#1356 6 years ago

If you were getting croc time over 100k i figured you'd be in the billions!

1 week later
#1375 6 years ago

I usually only go for the scoop if the 20 mil skull is lit. Been to bangarang mode exactly once and I didn't think it seemed worth it to go for specifically vs. 3 ball / jackpots. Something I want to play with more is trying to get the clock bonus way up there. Ordering a flipper rebuild kit for hook today and that should be the last thing needed to make it bangarang AF. What color flipper rubbers look best?

#1385 6 years ago

5.01 should fix it if it's the software. It was a bug in 5.0. You sure you have the right version? Does it reset if you scroll through instant info?

1 week later
#1401 6 years ago

Raise your back legs till it's about 6.5 degrees. It goes stdm if it's too shallow (At least this was the case when I first picked up my hook).

1 month later
#1471 5 years ago

When I first bought my hook it was set up really shallow. When the ball rolled back after the skill shot occasionally it would depress the switch most of the way and settle about 1/2" from the back of the skill shot trough not activating the switch. The ball search would go and the vibration would set it back onto the switch and it would launch. Increasing the angle and putting the switch wire at a more shallow angle fixed it. Moral of that dumb story is be sure when you test the switches you're using a pinball and not a finger. Sometimes being not dead center kn the switch allows enough play for the switch to not be depressed enough to "click".

1 week later
#1483 5 years ago

If you have a rinky dink 3" Allen key you're really going to have to crank on it to get it loose. It takes an alarming amount of tightening to make it so the flipper doesn't move when hitting a pinball at full speed the first time you do it.

1 week later
#1495 5 years ago

garretswinning I had a similar issue that was resolved just with reseating connectors.

1 month later
#1536 5 years ago

Oops wrong thread. I am a dummy.

2 weeks later
#1563 5 years ago

I'd almost guarantee you have a stuck switch somewhere. Sometimes it can be intermittent. Have you tried running a switch test?

2 months later
#1603 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

pm Meloyelo51 or I think he has a store matts basement arcade, a good guy to deal with

Can confirm. If you scroll through the ads at the bottom of this page you'll probably see his.

2 weeks later
#1626 5 years ago

You may have bent a pin going in or disconnected a wire when changing the dmd. Try your old roms and see if it works again.

#1629 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I put the old rims in and it booted right up. I was very careful to not bend a leg, and when removed, the new ROMs were not mangled so I at least didn’t break anything. I’m guessing that I have a display ROM issue at this point on the new chip.

I'd give it one more shot in case it wasn't seated properly. If it doesnt work re-burn or ask to exchange it.

3 months later
#1715 5 years ago

Regrettably, I sold my beautiful Hook. BUT... now I need to work on one that's having some issues. The game is apparently stopping playing the music randomly and will only play sound effects until another song starts. It will reset during multiball or possibly just periods with a lot of activity. I'm suspicious of 5v, anything else stand out I should be looking at? I know it has older code on it but I doubt anything this unstable was ever code related. Going to look at it later this week.

#1717 5 years ago

It starts with the sound working perfectly, then at random times the music stops, only restarting when the song would change (ball lost, start of crock time, etc). Dont think it does "hook, hook, HOOK" but i'm not sure. That's something interesting to look into. Obviously the bigger issue is the game resetting but I'm sure they're probably related. I was thinking verify voltage first then check elsewhere. Hopefully it doesn't have acid damage .

#1719 5 years ago

The sound is resetting and starting with hook hook hook. The game seems to reset when multiball is going and you start crock clock and hit a jackpot. The 12v line is at 9.8 or so, I'm going to start there.

#1721 5 years ago

Original PS that has already had repairs

#1723 5 years ago

It had older code on it, updated it to ChadH just to be sure and the problem persisted. I ran out of time to troubleshoot it on site but I've got some parts en route for the 12v.

#1727 5 years ago

Just replaced the power board and the 12v is back in spec. Upon inspection the C2 cap was leaky so I might be able to salvage this board.

1 week later
#1731 5 years ago

Pretty swanky!

2 weeks later
#1742 4 years ago

Ball missing? Check the trough switches in test mode.

1 week later
#1749 4 years ago

That's awesome! Great work!

1 week later
#1758 4 years ago

A protector will be the only way to keep it totally minty, which might be good since this is the only new hook playfield I've ever seen. If properly installed you won't see a difference in gameplay. But it's yours to enjoy how you like and won't likely see much if any wear from home use with proper care.

Either way, I would definitely install cliffy protectors on the two scoops. Those will get wallowed out over time.

7 months later
#1860 4 years ago

Check all your fuses. Sounds like your coil power is out.

#1862 4 years ago

Sometimes it is "just a fuse" you got lucky!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back?tu=Chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.