Topic Stats

• 1,640 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 435 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6F3B7DA6-D5CF-4414-A7E4-62291A6ED0F5 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg
pirate town (resized).jpg
20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg
20181112_122154 (resized).jpg
20181112_121519 (resized).jpg
20181112_121316 (resized).jpg
20181109_122528 (resized).jpg
20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg
20181109_120516 (resized).jpg
54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg
C7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpeg
C1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 1640 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 33.
#351 2 years ago

Here it is. Just can't get 2 photos to upload to the same post for some reason.

20160326_122650_(resized).jpg

#352 2 years ago

The smell is definitly coming from this board. C7 looks to be ok, unless it's leaking under the trace (see back).

20160326_130955_(resized).jpg
20160326_131013_(resized).jpg

#353 2 years ago

Anyone know how to get rid of the audio hum ? My game audio hum. Thanks

#354 2 years ago
Quoted from Slim2013:

Anyone know how to get rid of the audio hum ? My game audio hum. Thanks

I ended up buying new speakers, and recapping my sound board. That knocked out virtually all of the hum for me. I have also heard others say to insulate some of the screws so that only one is grounding the board, but I have not had to go that far.

#355 2 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Here it is. Just can't get 2 photos to upload to the same post for some reason.

20160326_122650_(resized).jpg

The cap looks fine, you probably just had some corrosion from a high humidity environment at some point. The resistor in the first photo looks ok, but I would reflow the solder joints on all the resistors on that board except for the one in the second picture. That one looks like it's definitely getting too hot. Remove that resistor and check to make sure it isn't shorted.

#356 2 years ago

Bangarang is not what we think it is.

Bangarang is a 20 second timed mode that is activated after you collect all six Right Scoop awards.

According to the instructions in the manual, Bangarang is supposed to give you 5M points for each of the "Major Features" and they are listed as:
1) Skull
2) Windcoaster Ramp (Left Ramp)
3) Clock Shop (VUK)
4) Baseball Shot (Strike)

According to the Instruction Card on the apron "Completing Bangarang awards 50 Million & lites all features".

But that is not at all true. Not even close!

Instead... this is how it actually works...

At the start of the mode you are given 5M towards your Bangarang total.

These shots will add 5M to the Bangarang total:
1) Skull
2) Right Ramp

That's it. Nothing more.

Oh... and at the end of the mode you are granted an extra 25M to the Bangarang total. And to add insult to injury, if your Bangarang total goes over 100M then it wraps around to 0M.

#357 2 years ago

Just out of curiousity, what revision ROM are you working with, Chad? For the record, all comments I've made about the behavior of my machine are based on rev 4.04. I still might spend a few bucks to get up to 4.08, but I'm expecting great things from revision Chad.0

#358 2 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

I would add to the list that when you've made a high score, the whole sequence of events at the end is jacked.

Yep. This is still true in v.4.08 which is what I have in my game.

#359 2 years ago

OMG. I have had this game for a while and never realized it was that messed up!

#360 2 years ago

Why in the world would there be code in the game to reset the score to zero? I would normally think a buffer overflow, but if this were an 8 bit integer it would go all the way up to 255 before rolling back around. A 7 bit integer would max out a 127, a 6 bit maxes out at 63.

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Why in the world would there be code in the game to reset the score to zero? I would normally think a buffer overflow, but if this were an 8 bit integer it would go all the way up to 255 before rolling back around. A 7 bit integer would max out a 127, a 6 bit maxes out at 63.

It's not code to reset to zero... it's code that doesn't prevent it from happening. The Bangarang Bonus is stored in such a way that it is only capable of 0 to 99,999,999. They didn't prevent it from passing 99,999,999 nor did they expand it so it could handle a number higher than 99,999,999... so instead it just rolls over if passed.

The problem applies to several things in the game:
Bangarang Bonus
Jackpot Bonus
Croc Clock Bonus
Fast Scoring Bonus

They either did not notice... or did not care enough to fix this. My guess is they knew this but thought that not many people would achieve such high numbers and I am sure schedules were really tight.

Help is on the way!

#362 2 years ago

I was assuming the bonus increments by the million but I guess it doesn't. Probably the same reason the Pac-Man kill screen happens, programmers didn't assume anyone would make it to level 256.

#363 2 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

The smell is definitly coming from this board. C7 looks to be ok, unless it's leaking under the trace (see back).

The brown 330uF cap is leaking! They always do. Replace it before it spit its more crap to the high voltage section and destroys it. When you desolder it Always a strange smell comes from it....like...... The 3K9 resistor always gets hot......it is normal, sometimes they are open, so it is a good thing to check this.

Marco

#364 2 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

The brown 330uF cap is leaking! They always do. Replace it before it spit its more crap to the high voltage section and destroys it. When you desolder it Always a strange smell comes from it....like...... The 3K9 resistor always gets hot......it is normal, sometimes they are open, so it is a good thing to check this.
Marco

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go over this whole board and test/refreshend up.

#365 2 years ago

Another Hook oddity...

There is a 10 second Ball Save. The only problem is... the timer starts when the ball is ejected into the shooter lane. So if you don't plunge >right away< you are wasting precious Ball Save time. Wouldn't it be nice if the timer started when you actually plunged the ball and either missed or hit the skill shot?

By the way, there is another check when the ball drains... if less than 2 switches have been hit then you get Ball Save (regardless of the timer).

#366 2 years ago

Don't forget if you miss the skill shot the diverter activates and send the ball back to the shooter lane for another chance so I'm guessing that would count towards the timer too. To fix this you could turn off the diverter/retry when the player does a full plunge to send the ball to the right habitrail. If you actually try the skill shot and overshoot there's a good chance the ball will go down the right baseball ramp and enter the playfield before it reaches the habitrail so I thought the diverter idea was novel but I've never thought of a practical use for it. I see people doing full plunges all the time and wondering why the ball comes back. Maybe you have an idea to use that diverter inventively?

#367 2 years ago

Oh it never ends! A few more things I noticed:

The croc clock hurry-up timer sometimes starts late, immediately playing the faster paced music normally heard in the last few seconds of the mode. The last time I started it I had only about 5 seconds(!) to shoot the right ramp when normally you would get 10 or 15 seconds. This also happened after collecting the croc clock jackpot at that ramp following the opening jackpot at the windcoaster ramp.

There is no countdown timer on the DMD for pirate awards, just the sprite of the ship and mode text. This would be really nice to have.

The post high score message, "BANGARANG PAN THE MAN JAY" for example, flashes by too quickly before the game goes back to attract mode. I know the screwed up high score routine has been discussed before.

#368 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

There is no countdown timer on the DMD for pirate awards, just the sprite of the ship and mode text. This would be really nice to have.

Actually, there is a timer on the right side. Maybe this is related to your display outgassing you were mentioning earlier?

#369 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Actually, there is a timer on the right side. Maybe this is related to your display outgassing you were mentioning earlier?

Man I've gotta get a new display!

#370 2 years ago

Actually that ball save really irritates me. Any improvement on the ball save operation would be great!

Also, Now that I know there are games out there with a one way gate above the shooter lane makes me want one - always felt that the ball falling back down slows the game down too much. ( falls down a fair amount during regular gameplay)

#371 2 years ago

Chad, is there a way you could assign callouts individually rather than having them "shared?" To my understanding, certain switches are assigned the same sound file. It would be great if each action recalled its own sound location so more variety was added. By any chance do you know if we can modify the sound files? Maybe replace the chip to add better ones?

#372 2 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Chad, is there a way you could assign callouts individually rather than having them "shared?" To my understanding, certain switches are assigned the same sound file. It would be great if each action recalled its own sound location so more variety was added. By any chance do you know if we can modify the sound files? Maybe replace the chip to add better ones?

Wow. What an awesome idea. Triggering new sound call outs + adding a PinSound board would /really/ add new life. Serves me right for selling my Hook

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you talking about taking existing sound events ("Hook, Hook, Hook!," "Ball one," "Ball two" etc.) and splitting them up into their own separate events so certain words can be called individually? I'm not sure this is possible but if it is it would also require more ROM space to add additional metadata to the sounds database. The requirement of extra storage would most likely force unused callouts and music tracks to be removed to allow space for this extra metadata, and I would rather hear the unused sounds/music that Brian Schmidt originally intended to include.

Regarding a PinSound project, I think it would be pretty easy to do for this game. It seems to have a more limited selection of music and callouts than other more popular DE titles. The movie was not recorded in 5.1 surround so lifting certain words and sound effects is a bit limited but it can be done like other games Endprodukt has worked on. The croc clock burp after Hook is eaten is heard clearly with little background noise and is actually used in the Jurassic Park game too. I don't think it's used in the actual movie though but they are both Spielberg titles...

#374 2 years ago

Something odd I've noticed...

Both outlanes have an insert labeled "500K X Ball In Play". These alternate (by default) when a sling shot is activated or a flipper button is pressed. Basically, you want to have this lamp lit if the ball drains down that outlane.

If it is not lit then you get 250K X Ball In Play... and if it is lit then you are granted 500K X Ball In Play.

But here's the odd part... there are two videos played when you drain via the outlanes. One is "I've Lost My Marbles" (which also plays the voice call of "I've lost my marbles") and the other is "Big Value" (which also plays either the voice call of "You can't escape me, Peter" or "The crocs got me!") . The problem is that these just alternate regardless of whether the "500K X Ball In Play" is lit or not.

It would seem to make MUCH more sense to always have the "Big Value" graphic/sounds played if the "500K X Ball In Play" is lit upon drain. And always have the "I've Lost My Marbles" graphic/sound played if the "500K X Ball In Play" is not lit upon drain.

#375 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

there are two videos played when you drain via the outlanes.

I looked at this with the glass off and I think there's a third one. I was watching a gameplay video and noticed something strange about the skull hurry-up. You can tell the display is outgassing like mine because the value in the center and timer on the right are barely visible because they are displayed using dim dots. However when he shoots the ramp and it comes back down, as soon as it hits the ramp gate switch the second time the score and timer text flash to full bright for a single frame followed by the normal gameplay score screen for another frame. This also happens when the mode ends via the timer. This is what I meant by "something" when I pointed out this flash earlier in the thread. Very odd, like the code is falling back on a brighter version of the text.

Normal:

image_(resized).jpeg

Ball exiting ramp:

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Mode ending:

image_(resized).jpeg

Edit: Ok this is just silly. It looks like the fast scoring, victory lap, and multiball restart modes show the scores and countdown text at full brightness, unlike the skull and pirate hurry-ups. Can you confirm this?

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#376 2 years ago

I think that "something" is just the regular score display that normally plays when nothing is happening. This game seems to show that quickly in between videos a lot. I'll bet that flash is amplified with an out gassing display?

#377 2 years ago

The flashing is more noticeable with a weak DMD because you go from seeing a lot of black to seeing bright pixels.

#378 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

It looks like the fast scoring, victory lap, and multiball restart modes show the scores and countdown text at full brightness, unlike the skull and pirate hurry-ups. Can you confirm this?

Confirmed.

With an outgassing display, I bet you are missing some of the finer details on the animations if you cannot see any of the "dim" dots.

#379 2 years ago

Which makes me wonder, why are the display styles half bright and half dim? If you have an older display changing the dim parts to bright would help make things more visible, but if you had an LED or color display this wouldn't matter. With the PIN2DMD and PinballSP color DMD projects making fast headway into production I would personally prefer to make all of these dim across the board of you can. That way using a color palette with an RGB display down the road will give more colors on-screen.

#380 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you talking about taking existing sound events ("Hook, Hook, Hook!," "Ball one," "Ball two" etc.) and splitting them up into their own separate events so certain words can be called individually? I'm not sure this is possible but if it is it would also require more ROM space to add additional metadata to the sounds database. The requirement of extra storage would most likely force unused callouts and music tracks to be removed to allow space for this extra metadata, and I would rather hear the unused sounds/music that Brian Schmidt originally intended to include.
Regarding a PinSound project, I think it would be pretty easy to do for this game. It seems to have a more limited selection of music and callouts than other more popular DE titles. The movie was not recorded in 5.1 surround so lifting certain words and sound effects is a bit limited but it can be done like other games Endprodukt has worked on. The croc clock burp after Hook is eaten is heard clearly with little background noise and is actually used in the Jurassic Park game too. I don't think it's used in the actual movie though but they are both Spielberg titles...

Are you talking about taking existing sound events ("Hook, Hook, Hook!," "Ball one," "Ball two" etc.) and splitting them up into their own separate events so certain words can be called individually?

Nope.

To my understanding, multiple switches trigger the same audio file location. A general, but inaccurate example would be the left outlane switch and ramp switch trigging the rooster crow. I don't have a machine but I've made a chart to the best of my abilities from youtube gameplay videos.

What would be great is if each switch goes to its own sound file location. I understand they originally tried to save space by sharing file locations that used the same sound. However, having the ability to trigger specific sounds for each switch/event sequence could make a huge impact on the game immersion and make it more interactive. Ideally being able to rip files in DE audio format and drop in a new audio ROM chip would be fantastic, but if at the very least having the ability to do specific sounds for triggers with pinsound would be very very very helpful. Currently Pinsound and Hook require more of a generic callout scheme but with a little tinkering we could have a great audio package to go with Chad's fantastic efforts to clean up the code and scoring.

I've got several callouts/effects mapped out. Just don't have a machine to fine tune, but the blueprint is bang-a-rang!

Also, I sadly do not have a Hook. If anyone has a spare laying around that's collecting dust let me know!

#381 2 years ago

Any word on the right ramp reproduction being discussed about 6-9 months ago?

#382 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Talking about this gate here:
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Actually, would anyone know the part number for the wire gate under the top bit of shooter lane? checked the manual and whilst I can see it in every playfield layout its not actually referenced with a part number.

Quoted from shicketmaster:

Any word on the right ramp reproduction being discussed about 6-9 months ago?

I wish there was a right ramp! - mines held together with tape currently.

#383 2 years ago

Good morning All,

While moving my Hook last night, I hit the shooter knob and broke it. A quick search for a new shooter rod left me confused. The manual shows a part number for the shooter assembly as 500-5409-02-05. A search with this # shows nothing. I haven't measured the rod and was hoping one of you knows what I need. Also, my game's knob is black but I see most have a translucent red one. Which is correct?

Thanks,
Steve

#384 2 years ago

Mine is black also. Unless you smashed the housing, you only need the shooter rod. Ignore that part number, just go to Pinballlife and look for replacement shooter rods.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=5&pg=1

#385 2 years ago

If you complete more than one mode whose totals are added to the end of ball bonus the jingle is interrupted between totals during the end of ball sequence.

Also it turns out you don't even need to send the ball into the jets to get a strike. Just send the ball into the right lane and close the switch under the right ramp. If you close the switch and do not make it to the bumpers you will immediately get a strike awarded regardless of where the ball goes from there. It would be nice to use the bumper switches for verification but this could delay the award by several seconds... this would be ideal if there was a target in the upper corner of the bumper arena like in Dracula or Terminator 2.

#386 2 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Mine is black also. Unless you smashed the housing, you only need the shooter rod. Ignore that part number, just go to Pinballlife and look for replacement shooter rods.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=5&pg=1

Thanks. Yes, just the knob cracked in half. I just didn't know if certain games had specific length rods.

#387 2 years ago

All games are that same for intents and purposes.. However, some are a tad shorter, some a tad longer. No real rhyme or reason. If you find your replacement is a tad short, you just slightly bend the shooter lane tang the ball rests on in toward front of cab a tad, vice versa if the rod seams a tad longer so you can make the shot to the top consistent.

Mainly the end you pull is different.

#388 2 years ago

Anyone going to MGC this weekend? Check out the Hook that will be there.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Anyone going to MGC this weekend? Check out the Hook that will be there.

Running some custom code?

#390 2 years ago

I'm about to go check in for the MGC VIG Party, will look for Hook, if I can tear myself away from GB

#391 2 years ago

Found a Hook. Played it. Noticed an unexpected ball save. Will go back to it soon ...

#392 2 years ago

Sadly, when I went back downstairs, the machine had been moved slightly (diagonal to the wall instead of perpendicular, probably due to needing a certain amount of walking space), and it wasn't level, so my later games suffered. Noticed a shot I've never seen on mine, with the DMD calling for a ramp shot, and when I made it, the diverter opened.

#393 2 years ago

Yep. We had to move it last night to make more room. I leveled the game this morning around 10am just before the show reopened.

#394 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I leveled the game this morning around 10am just before the show reopened.

I could tell. Managed a 99 million game. Would love to run into you at some point and talk about the game. Today I'm wearing a black t with a PacMan motif:

PacManShirt_(resized).jpg

#395 2 years ago

Any particular differences?

#396 2 years ago

I'm hanging out often at the booth (Underground Retrocade) just to the right of Hook. Red shirt. Glasses.

#397 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Any particular differences?

I should let Chad answer, but the big things I noticed were - better ball save (timing bug on that mentioned earlier in this thread); previously unused call out "come back and fight me now" for extra ball, as opposed to "Try again" which is still used for ball save; some scoring tweaks.

I'm really looking forward to the Chad.0 update, but I'm convinced that I should spend a couple bucks and get myself up to 4.08 in the meantime. And try to find that mysterious gate.

#398 2 years ago

Good stuff! May want to contact Cliffy on possibly reproducing that gate.

1 week later
#399 2 years ago

I bought an anyPIN NVRAM chip for my Hook last week at MGC, and installed it yesterday with no issues - except that when I removed the original RAM chip I immediately dropped it inside the back box and had to hunt around for it. I also put on some new flipper rubbers (and have the busted knuckle to prove it), and a couple LEDs along the skill shot ramp.

Now I just have to figure out my skill shot 3 switch problem, it's making me insane.

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

I would add to the list that when you've made a high score, the whole sequence of events at the end is jacked. I'd have to go set one and take notes, but I think you get end of game call outs, then match, then something else, then finally enter initials.

After a post-MGC break , I'm back in "Hook mode"!

You are right... the Enter Initials screen doesn't happen until after the Match sequence... which is way wrong! This is now fixed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
$ 275.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 15.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 15.00
$ 299.00
$ 15.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Lynnwood, WASHINGTON
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
£ 32.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 63.00
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Boards
PinSound
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1640 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside