Topic Stats

• 1,639 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 434 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg
pirate town (resized).jpg
20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg
20181112_122154 (resized).jpg
20181112_121519 (resized).jpg
20181112_121316 (resized).jpg
20181109_122528 (resized).jpg
20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg
20181109_120516 (resized).jpg
54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg
C7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpeg
C1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 1639 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 33.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Check out this picture from my basement. Scott from Underground Retrocade in West Dundee, IL, has HOOKed me up!
image_(resized).jpeg

Can you change the end of ball music while you are at it?

#252 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I believe these are GI bulbs. Probably just extra light for that area. Mine have white covers on them. But maybe they were once yellow but have faded.

They are GI lamps with white condoms.

Quoted from Gov:

Can you change the end of ball music while you are at it?

That sequence is a bit drawn out. The loop is also interrupted, would it be possible to end the sequence cleanly in multiples of a single loop after the seventh beat?

#253 2 years ago

That podcast was OK, but missed one of my favorites, the combo shot - clock ramp to windcoaster to VUK is worth 5 million. Also, he says the skill shot only ever lights hole 2, but my machine lights hole 3 on the third ball most of the time - which is a problem because of my continuing issue with the hole 3 rollover switch

On the other hand, hitting either hole 2 or 3 on the first two balls gives me the skill shot score, so it's a trade off.

#254 2 years ago

Really? It lights hole 3 for skill shot? Weird. Mine has never list hole 3 for the skill. Sometimes it'll light one if I didn't get multiball but........hmm....yeah the only time it lights 3 for me is when I lock a ball for multiball and it's the shot to lock ball 2 or 3. Weird..... Maybe it's a setting I missed. I am on fac settings. Anyone else have insight?

Anyway, who ever made that podcast better get his act together! Sheesh

Quoted from LarryMac:

That podcast was OK, but missed one of my favorites, the combo shot - clock ramp to windcoaster to VUK is worth 5 million. Also, he says the skill shot only ever lights hole 2, but my machine lights hole 3 on the third ball most of the time - which is a problem because of my continuing issue with the hole 3 rollover switch
On the other hand, hitting either hole 2 or 3 on the first two balls gives me the skill shot score, so it's a trade off.

#255 2 years ago

I'll check my settings this evening. As best I can recall, the only adjustment changes I've made are to turn off the next game promo (EA45) and adjust the backup high-scores (EA24-29) to something less insane than the defaults.

#256 2 years ago

I've seen hole 3 lit for a skill shot on occassion. I think I have only seen it on ball 3 when someone is having a terrible game and it will award EB if you hit on the plunge.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I've seen hole 3 lit for a skill shot on occassion. I think I have only seen it on ball 3 when someone is having a terrible game and it will award EB if you hit on the plunge.

Yep, I'll second that comment. Terrible games are not uncommon in my house, so it happens from time to time.

#258 2 years ago

Great news !!!! Chad saved my TFTC from beeing sold.

Now someone please reproduce the fu***ng right ramp.

#259 2 years ago

Ahh...yeah I've seen it lit for extra ball. Which is a skill shot. And lit for mutli ball if you have a bad ball. But never for points skill.shot.

Either way....glad we are all.loving this game and excited for its future!

#260 2 years ago

From what I can tell... the regular Max Bonus in this game is 250,000. If you also get Max Multiplier of 10X, then the best you can ever get is 2.5 Million. Wow, that is painfully low!

(This is not counting the other bonuses that are possible.)

#261 2 years ago

Yeah. The only thing that keeps you from tilting , and it's significant, is fast scoring and crock scoring. Which I rely heavily on for a good game. Typically I get 75% of my points from crock hurry ups

#262 2 years ago

Fun Hook Fact Of The Day

When activated via the Skull shot, the six awards that can be collected at the Right Scoop change every time you hit a Pop Bumper.

The logic works in such a way that the next one to be lit is random... but the choices are weighted as such:

Lite Super Bumpers 31.25 %
5 Million 18.75 %
Light Croc Time 12.5 %
Fast Scoring 12.5 %
Skull 20 Million 12.5 %
Max 'X' 12.5 %

This is why you probably see Lite Super Bumpers most often.

Also, the logic has nothing preventing it from choosing the same selection multiple times in a row. So hitting those Pop Bumpers doesn't always move the lights every time one is hit.

Wouldn't it be nice if every time you hit a Pop Bumper, it would instead just rotate among the six choices? This way you are still "randomly" given a selection... but the randomness would be based on the Pop Bumper hits. This would actually give some sort of control to the player... or at least a somewhat predictable randomness.

IMG_8346_(resized).JPG

#263 2 years ago

Did you determine this by reverse engineering the code? Don't you mean right scoop?

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Did you determine this by reverse engineering the code? Don't you mean right scoop?

Oops. You are correct! Corrected above.

#265 2 years ago

Fun Hook Fact Of The Day (#2)

Instant Info is bugged, bugged, bugged!

Go ahead... hold down a flipper during gameplay and watch Instant Info... depending on what you've collected so far, it wants to show you these things:

Instant Info
Current Replay Value (if you have not surpassed it yet)
Current Bonus Value
Current Clock Value (if you have collected any)
Current Fast Scoring (if you have collected any)
Current Multiplier (if you have collected any)
Current Extra Ball Count (if you have collected any)
Current High Scores

However, this thing is chock full of bugs!!!

Bug #1: The pauses between many of these items is too long and the game keeps defaulting back to the regular score display for a second, thus making the Instant Info seem chaotic and disjointed.

Bug #2: If you have collected both Clock Value and Fast Scoring Value then the game will only show Clock Value and Fast Scoring Value is not displayed.

Bug #3: If you have collected a Bonus Multiplier, it will be shown but Extra Ball and/or High Scores will not be displayed.

Wouldn't it be nice if these all worked smoothly and as planned?

#266 2 years ago

Nice research Chad.

Also be nice if Windocoaster did more, and AM/PM did less to effect final score. Windcoaster is such a big part, but scores low while the croc clock is a PIA.

#267 2 years ago

There's at least one bug with the service menu. One is the directional pushbutton doesn't work. Regardless of whether you have the button depressed, you can only move forward. Please fix this! Oh and the tinkerbell selection sound and adjustment "Hook" voice are really annoying. Try setting a custom backup replay score...

#268 2 years ago

I like where this is going. Yes, please cycle the right scoop awards and make Tinkerbell much less annoying in the menu.

#269 2 years ago

I LOVE crock clock hurry up. It's my main strategic point since the wind coaster is such a drain risk....don't kill it

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Nice research Chad.
Also be nice if Windocoaster did more, and AM/PM did less to effect final score. Windcoaster is such a big part, but scores low while the croc clock is a PIA.

#270 2 years ago

Also if you start a hurry up (crock or fast scoring) then lock a ball for multiball the count down keeps going. Would be nice if it paused till multiball started.

#271 2 years ago

Hey guys any insight into this issue I'm having. Been super busy but tonight I'm going to just start at the beginning of the chain and keep.working my way through until I get a break through:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-scoop-not-firing-on-hook

#272 2 years ago

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Also if you start a hurry up (crock or fast scoring) then lock a ball for multiball the count down keeps going. Would be nice if it paused till multiball started.

Yeah, this sucks. Found this out last night the hard way. Never noticed it before. It does the same thing for the ship special, 10 million and extra ball target count down too.

#274 2 years ago

More Hook facts Chad? I love watching you tear this mess of a game apart.

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

More Hook facts Chad? I love watching you tear this mess of a game apart.

There will be more as I continue to dig. This is a long process.

Keep pointing out any peculiarities or score imbalances you guys see. I am noting everything.

#276 2 years ago

Not scores exactly, but some of the modes seem to be over almost instantly. I don't need the same amount of time for everything, but one mode (can't remember) was over 2 seconds after I looked at the DMD. Outside of the modes and the MB, there isn't much to do in the game, so it wouldn't hurt to make them actually exist for a decent amount of time. Maybe they were intended to be and it was just a ball that was dropped. I mean, look at the default scores. You give me 30 seconds in crock clock and others and I could probably get into those scores.

#277 2 years ago

About those default scores - I was re-reading my manual (again) and noticed that the factory settings listed there are much more reasonable - backup world record is only 90K, and of course they go down from there for the other 5 backups. So I guess having the defaults match what's in the manual would be a nice change, because as we all know, resetting those scores is a noisy and time-consuming endeavor.

Also, possibly a code issue, a couple times when I have set a new world record score, I get the credits, I get to put in my initials, but then the game resets all the high scores to the values set in the adjustment table. I'm pretty sure somebody else reported this a ways back in the this thread.

#278 2 years ago

90k, or 90m? I'm getting 90k on the plunge. :p

#279 2 years ago

I left my world record at 450m....something to aim for , hahsh

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

90k, or 90m? I'm getting 90k on the plunge. :p

Ooops, My bad. 90,000,000

I've been sick all week, that's my excuse...

#281 2 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

Ooops, My bad. 90,000,000
I've been sick all week, that's my excuse...

No worries dude. I wouldn't be shocked though if the manual said 90k.

#282 2 years ago

I don't think I've broke 100mil since I owned it :/

#283 2 years ago

Hey guys. Still having an issue with my scoop coil not firing after replacing a bunch of stuff on the board. Anyone familiar with how these boards work?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-scoop-not-firing-on-hook#post-3027710

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

There's at least one bug with the service menu. One is the directional pushbutton doesn't work. Regardless of whether you have the button depressed, you can only move forward. Please fix this!

Mine is able to able to go forwards and backwards depending on that pushbutton. Maybe something is wrong with your button? (This is on the latest released ROM of v.4.08)

#285 2 years ago

Some observations I made yesterday while I had access to the game. Dang it I forgot to get the CPU version!

Replay value appears too briefly in attract mode (about half a second)

Top rollover bonus multiplier steps up from 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, to 10x. Once 10x is reached this becomes a fixed award of 500k. Something to think about after end of ball bonus is adjusted for balance. Should 500k be increased?

Bug after game ends... "insert coins" is shown for a split second before game over screen/jingle. Insert coins should only display after the game over sequence and jingle ends.

Hook's mouth sprite flickers during attract mode when he says, "I hate, I hate, I hate Peter Pan." Is there a way to change the animation to fix this?

Green toggle pushbutton does not change direction when in diagnostics menu. Works fine in audits and adjustments.

Possible to add credit dot when a playfield status message is present?

Skill shot inconsistency... miss awards 100k x ball number, hit awards 2m, 3m, 4m depending on your ball number. This is incorrect with the hook shaped plastic at hole two that says, "One mil x ball in play."

Another skill shot bug... If extra ball is lit at hole three on the third plunge and you collect it, it is possible to collect the normal 4m skill shot a second time if you either lock the ball or drain the ball and trigger the ball save. I am not 100% sure on how to reproduce as I never noticed this issue before, but the one time I tried again with ball save it was not reproduced.

Possible to fix or lessen LED ghosting? The only LEDs I have in the game are in the center skull eyes and ghosting is pretty noticeable with those lamps being front and center. I'm an incandescent fan but since these lamps are impossible to replace without removing the entire ramp and skull plastic, I use LEDs.

Possible to use the "Ball one" and "Ball two" callouts when shooting the right baseball lane in other ways? Maybe at the start of each ball or when balls are locked? If an unused "three" callout exists it would make this a feasible idea since "Home run" is said instead of "Ball three."

The "What great games" callout is interrupted when pressing the start button to adjust replay value after opening the coin door.

#286 2 years ago

Thanks Crash... I've noted your suggestions. I think that is the behavior in Diagnostics on all Data East game. Can only go one direction.

Here's something...

Adjustment 43 - Loop Timer (possible settings are Extra Easy, Easy, Factory, Hard, Extra Hard). Manual has the description of "Determines how long the Loop feature remains enabled in seconds at its highest level. At lower levels the time will be proportionate to the setting. Extra Easy = 6 seconds, Easy = 5.5 seconds, Factory = 5 seconds, Hard = 4.5 seconds, Extra Hard = 4 seconds)"

However, this setting actually has no effect on the game. I am wondering what this was supposed to do? Maybe this was meant to control how quickly the Left Ramp bonus lowers its value? What do you guys think?

#287 2 years ago

I would think so. Otherwise you would have to make consecutive shots within the time limit to stack the value up. If you look at manuals for other Data East games, such as Star Wars, see what effect a similar adjustment has.

#288 2 years ago

just incase any of you Hook fans are looking for a few parts, i just listed a few NOS items on ebay, Windcoaster ramp, plastics and the ship to the left

thanks
troy

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

Also, possibly a code issue, a couple times when I have set a new world record score, I get the credits, I get to put in my initials, but then the game resets all the high scores to the values set in the adjustment table. I'm pretty sure somebody else reported this a ways back in the this thread.

Woohoo! I found this bug! You are correct, it only potentially happens when you achieve a new World Record (aka High Score #1).

The good news is that I have a fix that you can implement today!

If you want a temporary work around that will prevent the bug from happening in your game then set your Backup World Record (Adjustment 24) to one of these values:

etc...

For the work around, the one-hundred-millions place must be a set to an integer (other than 0) and everything else (the ten-millions-place and below) must all be zeros.

Really... just set it to 100,000,000 or 200,000,000 depending on how good you are because anything higher with the current scoring is kind of crazy.

(Note, there is also Adjustment 30 named Reset H.S.T.D. Every which is defaulted to 700 so your High Scores will reset if that number of plays is reached. You can set this adjustment to OFF if you prefer.)

Do this and all your high scores will be safe from reset!

#290 2 years ago

Dang Chad is so good he can fix bugs without a code update! What other workarounds do we need to fix the others?

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

From what I can tell... the regular Max Bonus in this game is 250,000. If you also get Max Multiplier of 10X, then the best you can ever get is 2.5 Million. Wow, that is painfully low!
(This is not counting the other bonuses that are possible.)

More info on how End Of Ball Bonus is increased in v.4.08.

The bonus starts at 1,000. Each switch increases it by a set amount customized per switch.

The maximum is 250,000.

Here are the switches and how much they increase End Of Ball Bonus:
Left Outlane = 4,000
Right Outlane = 4,000
Left Return = 2,000
Right Return = 2,000
Upper Left VUK = 4,000
Left Ramp Exit = 3,000
Turbo Bumpers = 1,000
Slingshots = 1,000
Upper Right Rollover = 3,000
Right 10 Point = 1,000
Right Single (Lite Slingshot) Target = 2,000
Left 3 Bank Top = 2,000
Left 3 Bank Middle = 2,000
Left 3 Bank Bottom = 2,000
Right 3 Bank Top= 2,000
Right 3 Bank Middle = 2,000
Right 3 Bank Bottom = 2,000
Upper 3 Bank Top = 2,000
Upper 3 Bank Middle = 2,000
Upper 3 Bank Bottom = 2,000
Drop Targets = 2,000
Power Scoop Right or Skull = 4,000

Switches that do not increase End Of Ball Bonus:
Left Ramp Entrance
Right Ramp Entrance
Right Ramp Exit
Top Bonus Multiplier Lane Left
Top Bonus Multiplier Lane Middle
Top Bonus Multiplier Lane Right

#292 2 years ago

Here's a tip you might not know...

If it is your last ball and you shoot the Right Scoop when it is not lit then Mystery Award will give you your normal random amount but it will also lite the Extra Ball lamp at the Skull if your Extra Ball Percentage (seen via Audit 13) is below a certain threshold.

So if you are on your last ball, you may want to shoot for that Right Scoop. You may just light Extra Ball.

#293 2 years ago

Dang, really? I don't think I've ever seen extra ball lit at the skull. For me they're always awarded either from the drop targets or skill shot.

#294 2 years ago

So rules clarification: If you hit all of the drops down, should they reset, or will they stay down as a head start on whatever mode wants you to hit them all down? I was asked this the other day and I have no idea. It's not my game and I don't have much time on it.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

So rules clarification: If you hit all of the drops down, should they reset, or will they stay down as a head start on whatever mode wants you to hit them all down? I was asked this the other day and I have no idea. It's not my game and I don't have much time on it.

They should reset after all are dropped or in between balls.

They will advance and collect the Left Ramp Value by at least 2X (the equivalent of making at least two Left Ramp shots). In fact, I have found that if you knock them down quickly or if you knock down the last two at the same time then they will advance and collect the Left Ramp Value by 4X or even 6X.

Also, they are used to collect the Pirate Award that is randomly offered up on your last ball but in this instance you only need to hit one of them.

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

They should reset after all are dropped or in between balls.
They will advance and collect the Left Ramp Value by at least 2X (the equivalent of making at least two Left Ramp shots). In fact, I have found that if you knock them down quickly or if you knock down the last two at the same time then they will advance and collect the Left Ramp Value by 4X or even 6X.
Also, they are used to collect the Pirate Award that is randomly offered up on your last ball but in this instance you only need to hit one of them.

Ok, so likely a switch error somewhere. Every now and then you can here the cannon sound with just flipper presses. I figured that sound comes from the drops, so the sound and them not resetting until end of ball (rare) are likely linked.

#297 2 years ago

I had that issue a while back, it is from the drop target switches.

#298 2 years ago

Yep. Drops will reset regardless in between balls. I'll bet at least one of the drop target switches isn't working. Easy enough to test in switch test mode.

#299 2 years ago

Another annoying thing I remembered while playing Hook the other night is hitting the jackpots in sequence successfully, but too fast, and they don't award. The game wants to play out almost the whole long jackpot animation before it will register another jackpot. In MB, it's very easy to hit them too fast to count because the game is still waiting for the animation to finish. It shouldn't necessarily recognize the next jackpot a fraction of a second after getting the first one, but it definitely should two seconds later. I hate being in the zone, shooting left ramp, right ramp, left ramp, right ramp...and then looking up and seeing I only got credit for 2 jackpots.

#300 2 years ago

I concur, you can interrupt the animation and score another jackpot but you have to wait quite a bit of time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 15.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
$ 63.00
$ 275.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 32.00
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
$ 299.00
Boards
PinSound
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1639 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside