IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 47.
#201 8 years ago

I meant trace the wires, not words (autocorrect).....

#202 8 years ago

Open the coin door and press the green toggle switch on the left and make sure it is in the depressed position. Press the black button next to it to enter diagnostics. Use this button to step through the options and toggle the other switch to change direction. Scroll to the switch edges or "switch test" and place a ball in the kicker. Does the switch register on-screen? If not, lift the playfield into service position and trigger the switch with your finger. No talky? Replace the switch. Can you solder?

#203 8 years ago

Just joined the club Stripped er down. Cleaned it. New white rubbers. Leds in all GI and inserts. Looks much better!

Just realized after watching some gameplay that I am missing the yellow flasher in the back right corner

Also anyone know what this bracket is for? (just behind the skull)

004_(resized).JPG004_(resized).JPG

007_(resized).JPG007_(resized).JPG

006_(resized).JPG006_(resized).JPG

#204 8 years ago

Can someone confirm that the back right yellow flasher would plug into this connector?

010_(resized).JPG010_(resized).JPG

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've owned hook for awhile. I love the look and layout. Just wish the rules were redone. If they were rewritten, it could be awesome.

I'd love to do it. Just need someone near by to lend me their Hook for six months. Anyone out there interested?

#206 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'd love to do it. Just need someone near by to lend me their Hook for six months. Anyone out there interested?

Absolutely needs to happen. Game has a great layout but is seriously limited by the code.

3 weeks later
#207 8 years ago

I've got a minor display issue, I could use some pointers in figuring out how to resolve it.
There's a couple places where a vertical row of dots remains lit. In the audit photo, the second "T" is TOTAL is extra thick, and you can also see the extra dots between the 1 and 3. In the score photo, the second digit is a 5, but looks a bit like a 6 due to the extra dots, and the "I" in CREDITS is thicker than it should be.

It's not a huge problem, but I'd like to fix if it possible, so any advice one what to check and or replace would be welcome.

Hook_Display_1_(resized).pngHook_Display_1_(resized).png

Hook_Display_2_(resized).pngHook_Display_2_(resized).png

#208 8 years ago

Hmm, that's not good. Some kind of logic failure that's probably tied to the display RAM. Does anyone know if the RAM is removeable? Did you do a display test?

1 week later
#209 8 years ago

Hey everyone. Brand new to the pinball community and looking for some advice on hook. I'm going to look at one that is a documented one owner home use only since new machine and was wondering what to look for as this is my first pin. From the research I've done in this forum I know the DMD can be a big issue as well as the wind coaster ramp and string light. Any advice on what exactly to look for as well as how to test the machine and these pieces to ensure it is as good and functional as they claim? Also suggestion on price for this machine in NJ? This belongs to a family member of a friend and from what I'm told the machine literally doesn't have a single scratch or sign of wear... Seems too good to be true but theoretically if it does check out what would the "holy grail barn find of hook" run?

#210 8 years ago

Just watched the movie again last night. The game seems to use a mixture of quotes taken directly from the movie and custom speech. For years I wondered what "Ru-fi-o" was supposed to be.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Absolutely needs to happen. Game has a great layout but is seriously limited by the code.

If anyone has a Hook in Chicagoland area, I am interested in buying it. PM me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wanted-hook-data-east-1992

#212 8 years ago

Bump for Chad. We need some good rules for this game!

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Bump for Chad. We need some good rules for this game!

Is he going to be doing some editing of the rules on this one?

#214 8 years ago

As far as I know it's going to be a major rewrite just like previous games.

#215 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

As far as I know its going to be a major rewrite just like previous games.

Color me new, but what are the other titles that have been redone?

I think Hook is a great candidate. Some modes are pretty reasonable, but others are over in an instant. Even them out a little (and with better descriptions) or completely new additions, and it's a nice sleeper game. And priority #1: Change those freaking default high scores.

#217 8 years ago

Ahh, very cool. I had a 1.04 DESW in my house for a few months. I had researched the differences in 1.03 and 1.04 and felt it was quite improved.

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

As far as I know it's going to be a major rewrite just like previous games.

Yep. Just need a Hook. Anyone have one they want to lend for 6 months?

#220 8 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

I'll ship you mine

I appreciate the offer but I'd prefer to not deal with shipping machines back and forth. I want to hold out for someone within a few hours driving distance of Chicago.

#221 8 years ago

Tempted. A few hours away but this is would be worth it.....I'll see when I might be up that way

#222 8 years ago

Hope something can be worked out.

#223 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Tempted. A few hours away but this is would be worth it.....I'll see when I might be up that way

Looks like you are actually 6 hours away (assuming you are in Granville, OH?). Totally appreciate the consideration but there's got to be someone closer out there?

#224 8 years ago

I have found memories of playing this game on route back in the day when I would go out to eat lunch with my dad. It's pretty to look at, but the rules are really lacking. The major rules that need to be addressed in a re-write are...

*The completely worthless bonus, and because of that the max bonus award is a total waste.
*The lack of use of the most prominent shot on the playfield, the skull shot. Having that only light a mode for the right scoop or collect 20 million during the skull mode is a shame.
*The missing wizard mode. Completing all the modes simply starts all the modes for 15 seconds or so.
*Mystery awards worth basically nothing. There should be some variety or value when hitting the mode scoop when it isn't lit.

Spamming the left ramp isn't an issue on the Hook I play on route cause it is very hard to do it. You will lose the ball before you get a lot of value out of it.

#225 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

The major rules that need to be addressed in a re-write are...

I know a guy...

#226 8 years ago

The skull shot is a major waste, I have to agree. I almost never go for it due to the risk of STDM drains from bricked shots. My initial thoughts would be to swap the skull scoops and the right comer scoop going up Hook's arm, but that may introduce too much risk into the the game's main mode shot. If you miss you can really lose control of the ball (though there is a kickback). Then again if you don't swap positions the scoop is still critical to lite a mode at the right scoop...

The left ramp seems to be hit and miss for a lot of folks. I can shoot it repeatedly without much problem and max out the value at 3 million. This resets after it has been maxed. I have actually had good players complain about the right flipper being ever so slightly out of adjustment which prevented them from spamming the left ramp. So even though it may not be an issue for everyone it definitely does need some rework. Similar to the Star Wars ramp.

Another area is the ship drop targets, the only time they are used is to advance the bonus multiplier IIRC (bonus is worthless so what's the point?) and claim Pirate's Extra Ball or Pirate's Special. Both of these are stupid easy, you have 10 seconds to hit one target out of a bank of 4. It would be a worthy challenge to, say, sink all 4 targets to claim the award instead. There are other easy ways to get an extra ball.

The home run shot to the right of the croc clock ramp can be used inventively too. Currently you make 4 shots for 3 strikes followed by a home run. The ball is fired back out from underneath the plunger ramp via a slingshot kicker. Balls are locked in the lane for multiball.

#227 8 years ago

I'm chasing an outhole switch problem, and just want to check what is the normal configuration of balls in Game Over mode? Should there be a ball sitting in the outhole, or should they all be in a trough? If there should be a ball in the outhole, which troughs have balls?

Thanks.

#228 8 years ago

All balls in the trough. Though often my game will delay the end of ball by several seconds after it has landed in the outhole.

#229 8 years ago

"Hook.. I Hooked some points! Bangarang!!!", Rick Stetta

#230 8 years ago

Check out this picture from my basement. Scott from Underground Retrocade in West Dundee, IL, has HOOKed me up!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#231 8 years ago

That's great news! Can't wait to see how it goes!

#232 8 years ago

And only 3 miles away, very nice!

#233 8 years ago

This will be the most wonderful thing!!!!

#234 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

This will be the most wonderful thing!!!!

I'm going to need my game back!

#235 8 years ago

If you have any particular questions about the rules I can help, though I'm not sure we're running the latest code.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm going to need my game back!

Hahahahahahahaahahsghaagaghaaggaga

#237 8 years ago

Once the rules are updated people will love it!

#238 8 years ago

Then Hook will be a $1400 game, folks. Oh wait...

#239 8 years ago

Fingers crossed

#240 8 years ago

Does anyone know of a Hook rules guide? A lot of games on IPDB have one... I'm surprised no one has typed one up for Hook.

#241 8 years ago

Look at the attract mode for starters, the primer will point out the main shots and what they do.

#242 8 years ago

Pages 4, 5 and 6 of the Hook manual pretty much sums up the rules.

Ex:

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#243 8 years ago

For reference.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#244 8 years ago

Ha, look at the pirate town drop targets... it originally said "complete the drop targets."

#245 8 years ago

That's the best tutorial I've ever had on the game. The skull needs a bigger role in the game for sure though.

#247 8 years ago

Wow... this is great! Very helpful. Thank you!

How have I missed this (redacted) until now? I have just (redacted).

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

There are two lamps near the VUK (left clock shot) that have yellow covers on them that never turn on. The bulbs are good, wires look good. When should those turn on?

I believe these are GI bulbs. Probably just extra light for that area. Mine have white covers on them. But maybe they were once yellow but have faded.

#249 8 years ago

I'm thinking i have some wiring issues and maybe a transistor as one of the back flashers aren't working. Plan on doing a tear down this summer.....in preparation for Hook 2.0 hahah

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

How have I missed this podcast until now? I have just subscribed.

It's a secret after all

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.