IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 47.
#2251 1 year ago

Just wanted to say, thank you to all the Hook owners in here for posting pics and advice. I am so close to finishing my full restore and this thread has been a very valuable source of information. Mad props to everyone! *insert random progress pic*

IMG_5869 (resized).jpegIMG_5869 (resized).jpeg
#2252 1 year ago

Rumor has it, we might see ramp decals this week or next...fingers crossed! Click the "notify" tab here to get an email when they go into stock! https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/820-6081-00

#2253 1 year ago

Mr_Tantrum can make the Rufio ramp decals

#2254 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Rumor has it, we might see ramp decals this week or next...fingers crossed! Click the "notify" tab here to get an email when they go into stock! https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/820-6081-00

Yay this is all I am waiting on. I assume there are plenty of others in the same boat?

1 week later
#2255 1 year ago
Quoted from Magellano:

Hi guys. I’m a happy owner of hook, I bought chad code but sometimes i experience some random save ball(try again) during the game. Has ever occurred to you?
[quoted image]

I noticed the same issue on 5.01 tonight when playing with my son.

We were playing a two player game, he was first player and got try again probably three times in a row and then an extra ball after that. It was well past any sort of ball save timer as he had a killer game and this just increased his score exponentially.

Needless to say, he was super excited because he topped the leader board but what could have possibly caused this to occur??

#2256 1 year ago
Quoted from cdn-pinballer:

I noticed the same issue on 5.01 tonight when playing with my son.
We were playing a two player game, he was first player and got try again probably three times in a row and then an extra ball after that. It was well past any sort of ball save timer as he had a killer game and this just increased his score exponentially.
Needless to say, he was super excited because he topped the leader board but what could have possibly caused this to occur??

I haven’t had this happen but could it be the switch in the scoop is closed? There is a 3 second ball save after a ball goes in the scoop so if that switch was always closed maybe it would keep that ball save going indefinitely?

#2257 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I haven’t had this happen but could it be the switch in the scoop is closed? There is a 3 second ball save after a ball goes in the scoop so if that switch was always closed maybe it would keep that ball save going indefinitely?

Which scoop? May have to break out the schematics….

#2258 1 year ago

The right scoop where you collect the awards on Hooks arm.
Just go into the switch test menu and see if it’s closed

#2259 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

The right scoop where you collect the awards on Hooks arm.
Just go into the switch test menu and see if it’s closed

perfect will do. Thanks for the tip.

#2260 1 year ago

There is only one.

#2261 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

There is only one.

I realized that shortly after I posted my reply... thank you

#2262 1 year ago

Another question for Hook owners - I would like to upgrade the lighting to LEDS... does anyone have a placement printout from one of the kits that various suppliers sell? I can't seem to find it online and instead of me taking an inventory of every bulb and then ordering, is there a list / diagram that shows where and what bulbs are used?

#2263 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Like these ramp decals?

PXL_20230126_133217077 (resized).jpgPXL_20230126_133217077 (resized).jpg
#2264 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The suspense... I hope the Rumours are true!

1 week later
#2267 1 year ago

Apparently my playfield mirror holes were cut on the wrong side and the factory installed the acrylic mirror with the painted side facing the playfield. After years of flyaway ball strikes, the mirrored finished is coming off. Has anybody had this problem and found a reasonable replacement?

C0332159-1A3E-48C8-929E-360A0CB4C92F (resized).jpegC0332159-1A3E-48C8-929E-360A0CB4C92F (resized).jpeg
#2268 1 year ago

What are the parameters for the timed multiball restart? Seems to be totally random.

#2269 1 year ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Update… if anybody needs these 1/2 inch nylon standoffs…. I found them at digikey.com
The correct part number is #8883 (one locking end and the other tension, like originals). The cost is $0.25 each when you buy 25 and about $4 shipping.

FYI I bought these ones from digikey and they are way too small (length is ok) snap fitting diameter is tiny compared to the hole in the plastics

*Update* looked at the old plastics and new ones from Marcos, Marcos have larger holes than the plastics that came with my machine, who else has bought the new plastic set and has noticed this (large holes).

#2270 1 year ago

What are the parameters for the timed multiball restart? Seems to be totally random.

Anyone know?

Specifically on the 5.01 code

#2271 1 year ago

It surprises me that no one in this thread knows…

#2272 1 year ago

It surprises me that no one in this thread knows…

You can read all the changes Chad made on the pinballcode.com website. It says
Made it so Multiball Restart will be offered if the player does not hit a Jackpot and drains all balls except for one within 20 seconds instead of 12 seconds of the start of Multiball.
I didn’t know what the exact parameters were as it’s very rare I don’t get at least one jackpot right off the bat as that right ramp is lit from the start and wide open.

1 week later
#2273 1 year ago

I added this video, its in slow motion and plays forward and backward to show how the animation displays the letter "T" but does not show the "T" before animation.

Data East Hook Pinball original DMD display issue with the letter "T" in-the-phrase "Try Again". The letter T is missing but reappears when the animation splits horizontally and the animation moves the phrase off the display.
The display-test shows no issues. The only other problems is when Peter Pan floats upward, he is missing his left leg and part of his right shoe, constantly missing during the movement (not appearing and disapearing).
This occurs with both Official 4.08 and Chads 5.01 chips. I flipped Both ends and then also reversed both ends of the ribbon cable... I have recently upgraded to the Rottendog MPU004 (due to lots of hacks from old acid damage) and upgraded to the XPin power supply (due to old hacks from serious GI trace burns) and no changes (same issue before MPU and Power board upgrades). I've checked the DMD resistors including R95, R98 etc.
The display works perfect in every other way.
Anyone have an idea of what maybe going on?

Added 14 months ago:

Could it be the z08a (cpu) chip on the DMD? …or should I consider 6264 ram chip on the DMD ??

Added 13 months ago:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-dmd-resistor-#post-7446113

#2274 1 year ago

It is definitely connected to that scoop. Every time I let drain the ball after it came out from the scoop,it saves the ball.
I looked to switch test mode in dignostic, but I don’t know what to do. Forgive me I’m an amateur, but what should I do. Step by step. Thanks so much.

Quoted from Parkshow30:

#2275 1 year ago

Delete

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2276 1 year ago
Quoted from Magellano:

It is definitely connected to that scoop. Every time I let drain the ball after it came out from the scoop,it saves the ball.
I looked to switch test mode in dignostic, but I don’t know what to do. Forgive me I’m an amateur, but what should I do. Step by step. Thanks so much.

First step is after the ball goes in the scoop wait more than 3 seconds after it shoots out before you let it drain. There is a ball save that is supposed to save it if it drains within 3 seconds every time the ball goes in the scoop. If the ball save still works well after the 3 seconds then you can go into switch test to see if the switch is closed. In switch test you should only have 3 switches showing up, the 3 trough switches because the balls are sitting on them in the trough. If the scoop switch is also showing closed then you can look into if it’s a manual adjustment or a board problem.
If you don’t know how to go into switch test look in the manual it should tell you. If you don’t have the manual I think with that game you push in the middle button after you open the coin door then press the right button until you get to switch test, they might call it something slightly different. If you can’t figure it out let me know and I will take some pictures

#2277 1 year ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

First step is after the ball goes in the scoop wait more than 3 seconds after it shoots out before you let it drain. There is a ball save that is supposed to save it if it drains within 3 seconds every time the ball goes in the scoop.

So it is perfectly normal if there’s a ball save within 3sec after the ball exit from the scoop.
I guess chad put it In The rare case a weak VUK could send the ball in the center drain.

I went to check the switch in diagnostic mode but it says there are three switches on and I can’t figure out what could I do. Anyway I disabled try again feature in the adjustment.

#2278 1 year ago
Quoted from Magellano:

So it is perfectly normal if there’s a ball save within 3sec after the ball exit from the scoop.
I guess chad put it In The rare case a weak VUK could send the ball in the center drain.
I went to check the switch in diagnostic mode but it says there are three switches on and I can’t figure out what could I do. Anyway I disabled try again feature in the adjustment.

Yes that’s perfectly normal, ball save is there in case you get a cheap center drain from a good scoop shot.
3 switches on in diagnostic mode is what you should have, they are the 3 switches in the trough where the balls are waiting to be fed into the shooter lane. If there were other switches showing it would tell you what they were. In this diagnostic mode you can also physically close all the switches one by one with a ball or your finger to make sure they work, if the game is playing fine you don’t need to do this, but if you notice something isn’t registering while playing this is how you find out what switch it is and what wires go to it so you can try and trace the problem.

1 week later
#2279 1 year ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Apparently my playfield mirror holes were cut on the wrong side and the factory installed the acrylic mirror with the painted side facing the playfield. After years of flyaway ball strikes, the mirrored finished is coming off. Has anybody had this problem and found a reasonable replacement?
[quoted image]

its just acrylic 1 way mirror, or privacy glass.

if you have a place near you that deals in acrylic panels they may be able to copy
Alternatively you can get tint that does the same thing.

#2280 1 year ago
Quoted from ellisben133:

its just acrylic 1 way mirror, or privacy glass.
if you have a place near you that deals in acrylic panels they may be able to copy
Alternatively you can get tint that does the same thing.

I found an acrylic mirror but the light was blocked from the three lane lights (555s) behind the acrylic. I'm thinking I'll try clear acrylic and mirrored car window tint on the backside.

1 week later
#2281 1 year ago

Hey Folks, Putting my playfield back (been a while since I pulled it apart). Turns out I did not take enough photos and I am having trouble piecing the top right ramp area together.
Does anyone have photos? I have looked through this thread and there are a lot of photos of this area, but nothing clear enough that it sheds light on how to put it back..
Is this ramp essentially resting in place on top of plastics and the L bracket through the back mirrored acrylic. PIC attached of what I am up to

TIA

IMG_6307 (resized).jpegIMG_6307 (resized).jpeg
#2282 1 year ago
Quoted from slampt:

Hey Folks, Putting my playfield back (been a while since I pulled it apart). Turns out I did not take enough photos and I am having trouble piecing the top right ramp area together.
Does anyone have photos? I have looked through this thread and there are a lot of photos of this area, but nothing clear enough that it sheds light on how to put it back..
Is this ramp essentially resting in place on top of plastics and the L bracket through the back mirrored acrylic. PIC attached of what I am up to
TIA[quoted image]

PM sent.

#2283 1 year ago

Thank you kindly! This is perfect!

1 week later
#2284 1 year ago

Hey Folks,
Does the DE Hook Flipper board have a diode as part of the Switch matrix? Trying to track down a random skill shot lane coil fire and I see the matrix shows the flipper switches 15 and 16 marked as (via SSFB).
All the other switches and their diodes test & check ok. Can't figure out how to test the "switch-diodes" for the flippers on the flipper board. Ironically, that's when the skill-shot 1(Lower) switch #32 coil fires for no reason, as I am using the right flipper to move the upper lane lights as the ball is coming thru.

#2285 1 year ago
Quoted from DirkAkron:

Hey Folks,
Does the DE Hook Flipper board have a diode as part of the Switch matrix? Trying to track down a random skill shot lane coil fire and I see the matrix shows the flipper switches 15 and 16 marked as (via SSFB).
All the other switches and their diodes test & check ok. Can't figure out how to test the "switch-diodes" for the flippers on the flipper board. Ironically, that's when the skill-shot 1(Lower) switch #32 coil fires for no reason, as I am using the right flipper to move the upper lane lights as the ball is coming thru.

I guess I should ask, does anybody know if the flipper board can cause problems with the switch matrix?

B6433CC0-DF2E-4906-A4E9-F42F39A56180 (resized).jpegB6433CC0-DF2E-4906-A4E9-F42F39A56180 (resized).jpeg
#2286 1 year ago

Finally a fully redesigned chase light kit for Hook is available !

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/08136-hook-data-east-chase-lights

Data East Hook Chase Lights (resized).jpgData East Hook Chase Lights (resized).jpgIMG_20230329_155654 (resized).jpgIMG_20230329_155654 (resized).jpg
#2287 1 year ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Finally a fully redesigned chase light kit for Hook is available !
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/08136-hook-data-east-chase-lights
[quoted image][quoted image]

Does it chase and look just like the original?

1 week later
#2289 1 year ago

Updated

#2290 1 year ago

Can anybody tell me where to buy the 5.01 rom?

#2291 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballPirate:

Can anybody tell me where to buy the 5.01 rom?

This is where I have gotten my last few. I'm sure there are other places.

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/

1 month later
#2292 11 months ago

Hey All,

Any chance someone knows where I can get one of these bad bois from? As you can see the one on the right is broke
Alternatively happy to replace the whole mech, just don't want to replace the front door.

IMG_6784 (resized).jpegIMG_6784 (resized).jpegIMG_6831 (resized).jpegIMG_6831 (resized).jpeg
#2293 11 months ago
Quoted from slampt:

Hey All,
Any chance someone knows where I can get one of these bad bois from? As you can see the one on the right is broke
Alternatively happy to replace the whole mech, just don't want to replace the front door.[quoted image][quoted image]

Its pretty common for the porkchop to be broken. Especially now with the age of the plastic.

You don't really need them. If the reject button doesn't pop out as easily as it should you can install a tougher spring behind the reject button.

#2294 11 months ago

Thanks Charles_Kline for the advice.

Playfield is now in and I turned it on with out any issues (didn't go bang)
Few problems:
The out solenoid seems to engage and stay engaged (not all the time) for example if I haven't loaded any balls in and try to play a game and then proceed to drop a ball into the outhole, switch is engaged solenoid pops ball hits the switch for ball1 but the solenoid doesn't retract.

Second problem, the flippers are loose, try as I might but I can not tighten them at all..

Any ideas?

TIA

IMG_6904 (resized).jpegIMG_6904 (resized).jpegIMG_6906 (resized).jpegIMG_6906 (resized).jpegIMG_6907 (resized).jpegIMG_6907 (resized).jpeg
#2295 11 months ago

My hook slingshots suddenly stopped working (both) coils still fire through test menu but the switch doesn’t register. All other switches and bumpers on the same path do register fine. The contacts are clean I’m kinda lost where to diagnose the issue next. I’m a fairly new owner any help would be appreciated thanks.

1 week later
#2296 10 months ago

We are done! Just waiting on some Apron inserts/cards.
I am also working on a topper using the pindiuno! Glad to be finished

IMG_6948 (resized).jpegIMG_6948 (resized).jpegIMG_6949 (resized).jpegIMG_6949 (resized).jpegIMG_6950 (resized).jpegIMG_6950 (resized).jpegIMG_6951 (resized).jpegIMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
#2297 10 months ago

Looks great! Congrats!

3 weeks later
#2298 10 months ago

So some not great news today, got the magic smoke today and sound just cut out. Do these have a tendancy for the caps on the soundboard to die and smoke like that?

#2299 9 months ago

New guy here. I am looking to add some pins to a spare bedroom for myself, friends, and most importantly my grandkids. Thus far I have bought an Iron Man and Rocky and Bullwinkle. I was going to buy Stern SAM generation pins, but man oh man am I drawn to these DE machines. I grew up playing pins in the late 70's and early 80's before video games ruled the arcades. I really didn't do any pinball beyond that, but do I remember seeing System11s and early DMDs around town that I dropped a few quarters in.

I found a Hook locally, but for some reason this game is bagged on a lot. What am I missing? It looks like a great theme for kids and super fun. I will never be good at pinball and will probably never advance beyond casual status. The DE pins have great themes and just capture the late 80's early 90's pop culture to a tee. I want a fast game because we entertain regularly so someone playing a 30 min modern title is the last thing I want. I also want something that has fun ramps and eye candy for the kids but not needing a book or notes to understand. It seems Hook will fit that bill nicely. Am I missing something?

#2300 9 months ago

We have had our hook for I think 3 years now and we love it. I grew up watching Hook as a kid and my kids love Disney and Peter Pan so the theme is a win.
Most people that bag on it never played Chads updated code. The old rules you pretty much just hit the left ramp all day for points and there was no incentive to shoot anything else. Now you can shoot for the drop targets to build the left ramp value and score big points there or go for multiball for big points or go for the “modes” to get to Bangarang for big points, so lots of paths to a fun game. I think the game looks great and plays fun. I don’t mind people bagging on it because it kept the price down for me!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 64.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.