New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 86132)

Hook Club - Hook is back!

By winteriscoming

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,050 posts
  • 180 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Asanteiro
  • Topic is favorited by 68 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 618 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201007_174339 (resized).jpg
20201007_174301 (resized).jpg
20201019_215917 (resized).jpg
20201019_215910 (resized).jpg
20201020_155311 (resized).jpg
20201020_155314 (resized).jpg
IMG-20201019-WA0056 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20201019-WA0054 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20201013-WA0008 (resized).jpeg
IMG-20200927-WA0047 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200919_094753_221 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200919_094753_220 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200919_094753_222 (resized).jpg
Hook Rising 32x 2.gif
Hook Rising 32x.gif
Hook Rising.gif

There are 2050 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 41.
#2002 4 months ago

If anyone is interested in seeing hook in action i will be streaming my data east hook tonight on twitch my channel name is itslitpinball. Today at 7pm est

#2003 4 months ago

Whats everyones thoughts on these custom made hook emblems on the speaker grills? I think they really pop. I can make more for those interested.

IMG_20200608_085837_961 (resized).jpg

20200518_194747 (resized).jpg

20200518_164301 (resized).jpg
#2004 4 months ago

Those are pretty sweet! I wonder how it would look to spray paint the hook withe metallic chrome like spray paint...

#2005 4 months ago

If you're 3d printing, my idea for a kickass mod is to print the crocodile from the start button and mount it in place of or in the back of the am/pm ramp. Make the insest of the clock in the crics mouth change colors to match when am or pm is lit by rigging it to the playfield insert. Anyone got modeling talent to pull it off?

That way it look cool, plus people would know what the heck to aim for during croc time!

#2006 4 months ago

I love them!!!! Would you be willing to sell two sets?

#2007 4 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

I thought the pins under the slingshots are to stop balls from getting stuck.

That's something I didn't think of, but may very well be true. Just never saw pins like these on my other machines.

I have one question regarding my flippers: I can make shots up the Windcoaster ramp fine when the ball comes down the inlane, but I hardly make a shot up the ramp from a resting ball held with the right flipper. The ball will usually go up to *right* before the kink in the ramp, then come back down and STDM. Is this normal behaviour, i.e. do other players have trouble shooting the Windcoaster from rest, or is it my flipper assembly? (I need to rebuild both assemblies and I'm still trying to find out what coils the game needs.)

Updating my sound problem story, it has actually resolved itself on its own. It seems that just taking the sound board out and putting in back in, reseating all the connectors in the process, must have fixed it. Since the connectors on this machine are a bit flakey, I'm attributing it to that. For example, it took me a long time to find that the cause of unresponsive coin door buttons was the connector CN14 on the CPU board -- it works, but the fit on the pins is very loose and so connection is intermittent. This meant I often couldn't access the audits and adjustments, only diagnostics.

#2008 4 months ago
Quoted from MadMax1998:

I have one question regarding my flippers: I can make shots up the Windcoaster ramp fine when the ball comes down the inlane, but I hardly make a shot up the ramp from a resting ball held with the right flipper. The ball will usually go up to *right* before the kink in the ramp, then come back down and STDM. Is this normal behaviour, i.e. do other players have trouble shooting the Windcoaster from rest, or is it my flipper assembly? (I need to rebuild both assemblies and I'm still trying to find out what coils the game needs.)

I would say the flipper assembly. If the plunger and stop look good and I can't make it up the Windcoaster ramp, I just replace the coil sleeve and clean the plunger. That usually improves things quite a bit and is pretty inexpensive. In fact, I have this issue now and need to re-sleeve my flipper coils.

#2009 4 months ago

Thanks for the info everyone. I’m currently shopping my Hook, so I’ll post up some pics and let you know if that kicker issue is solved or not. Also man that Pin2DMD looks excellent. Where can you buy that?

#2010 4 months ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Those are pretty sweet! I wonder how it would look to spray paint the hook withe metallic chrome like spray paint...

Thats the look i originally wanted. I want to figure out a way to make it look like real chrome to the point you can see the reflection.

Quoted from kba78:

I love them!!!! Would you be willing to sell two sets?

I got no problem making more and sending them out to anyone that wants a set.

Quoted from bobwiley:

If you're 3d printing, my idea for a kickass mod is to print the crocodile from the start button and mount it in place of or in the back of the am/pm ramp. Make the insest of the clock in the crics mouth change colors to match when am or pm is lit by rigging it to the playfield insert. Anyone got modeling talent to pull it off?
That way it look cool, plus people would know what the heck to aim for during croc time!

I dig it! I will try to start working on it soon as i can.

#2011 4 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would say the flipper assembly. If the plunger and stop look good and I can't make it up the Windcoaster ramp, I just replace the coil sleeve and clean the plunger. That usually improves things quite a bit and is pretty inexpensive. In fact, I have this issue now and need to re-sleeve my flipper coils.

Thanks Crash, I’ll rebuild both flippers as the coilstops and plungers are really banged up.

I have one gameplay-related question: how the heck do you light extra ball at the skull? I can get one at Pirate Town or skill shot, but what about the extra ball insert at the skull? I haven’t found any answers to that yet. Does someone know?

#2012 4 months ago
Quoted from MadMax1998:

Thanks Crash, I’ll rebuild both flippers as the coilstops and plungers are really banged up.
I have one gameplay-related question: how the heck do you light extra ball at the skull? I can get one at Pirate Town or skill shot, but what about the extra ball insert at the skull? I haven’t found any answers to that yet. Does someone know?

With my code update...

If it is your last ball (Ball 3 in a 3 ball game, Ball 4 in a 4 ball game, or Ball 5 in a 5 ball game) and you haven't collected an Extra Ball yet, then shooting the Right Scoop when it is UNLIT (when Mystery Award normally is active) will lite Extra Ball at the Skull.

#2013 4 months ago

So I uncovered a pretty big bug a while back which I forgot about until today. If the game suggests adjusting the replay value down when entering the service menu and you don't press the start button (forgo the suggested adjustment), there's a chance the start button won't start a game. I thought I knocked the switch loose but it registers in switch test. I also power cycled the game which didn't clear the bug.

The only way to start a game is enter the service menu again, install the suggested replay value adjustment, and exit back to attract mode. I'm not sure if this could cause a situation that could make the game unplayable in a location setting, as it requires you to enter and exit the service menu. But Chad I think it's worth looking in to if you want to try and reproduce it on your end.

#2014 4 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

With my code update...
If it is your last ball (Ball 3 in a 3 ball game, Ball 4 in a 4 ball game, or Ball 5 in a 5 ball game) and you haven't collected an Extra Ball yet, then shooting the Right Scoop when it is UNLIT (when Mystery Award normally is active) will lite Extra Ball at the Skull.

Still loving the new code; I did manage to reproduce my BANGERANG issue
I had a ball stuck at some point (not on a switch), every 3 or 4 presses of the flipper buttons the machine would should BANGERANG at me (without increasing the score on screen) I have a short clip of it somewhere if you want.

#2015 4 months ago
Quoted from erikv:

Still loving the new code; I did manage to reproduce my BANGERANG issue
I had a ball stuck at some point (not on a switch), every 3 or 4 presses of the flipper buttons the machine would should BANGERANG at me (without increasing the score on screen) I have a short clip of it somewhere if you want.

This happens when the Windcoaster ramp value is at maximum and the drop target switches close. I had this issue recently because my drop target bank was dirty and misaligned (the drops wouldn't even come down properly when shot). Any sort of vibration (from the flippers or other coils) opened and closed a drop target switch, which would increase the ramp value -- but when the value is maxed, the game shouts "Bangarang!" and displays 15 mil for the ramp. So it kept shouting at me every time a coil fired, which made the game unplayable. This also destroyed multiball because the game didn't allow me to complete the skill shot.

#2016 4 months ago
Quoted from MadMax1998:

This happens when the Windcoaster ramp value is at maximum and the drop target switches close. I had this issue recently because my drop target bank was dirty and misaligned (the drops wouldn't even come down properly when shot). Any sort of vibration (from the flippers or other coils) opened and closed a drop target switch, which would increase the ramp value -- but when the value is maxed, the game shouts "Bangarang!" and displays 15 mil for the ramp. So it kept shouting at me every time a coil fired, which made the game unplayable. This also destroyed multiball because the game didn't allow me to complete the skill shot.

should a drop target not increase the score as well?

#2017 4 months ago

Has anyone used the speaker LED kit from Marco? I’m thinking of getting it for my Hook but am not sure how to plug it in. I was wondering if it was an easy set up

6E8CABC7-CE33-4573-8014-7AECFD572EF2 (resized).png
2 weeks later
#2018 3 months ago

Hello hook people,

By any chance does anyone have a spare shooter lane ramp and/or skull. Any condition is fine as mine is non-existent. Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

#2019 3 months ago

Have wanted mirror blades for Hook but my cabinet is just too tight to fit them. I cut some home made from 1mm HIP mirror sheet that just sit on top of the pf wood rails, so remove them to lift the pf. I'm really pleased with them for a first attempt.

20200702_151331 (resized).jpg
20200702_153541 (resized).jpg
20200702_154428 (resized).jpg

#2020 3 months ago

Sold mine, getting picked up on Thursday :/ it was a really fun project but I just don't have the time to play it (only when the kids are sleeping, which they do right above the machine ) nor the space to put it

1 week later
#2021 3 months ago

Edit: problem solved see the end for solution

So I had the coil on my power scoop burn up, it was locked on and didn’t blow the fuse right away. I replaced the coil with a new one and replaced the TIP36c transistor Q3 and replaced the fuse. Turned game in and everything works again but now the drop targets won’t reset.
The transistors for the drop targets test good. Coil works fine, it has power to it. When I put an alligator clip from ground to the coil ground lug the coil will fire. The coil will not fire however in the coil test mode. The drop targets register and score but will not reset. When I tried connecting ground to the transistor Q42 to see if it will fire it will not. Any ideas? Thanks
For reference this is the guide I was looking at to figure out what went wrong
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index2.htm#trans

So we were about to call it a night and my dad suggested taking the cover off the relay K1 and cleaning it. There was some scoring on the contacts and I also reflowed the solder on the board for the relay as that was suggested in the guide above. after we put the board back in boom everything works perfect. Guessing the relay may have been what caused the initial problem so I will get a new one and replace it

#2022 3 months ago

The relay is most likely fine. The dry solder joints were the actual issue from all the clicking vibration. No need to replace an expensive relay in this case.

1 week later
#2023 3 months ago

So can anyone verify that the K1 relay on the PPB board is supposed to be a 7a 30v relay? That’s what I see on the schematics. I don’t think it was a cold solder joint as the problems happened again today exactly as before after playing it fine for a week
Also where can I buy one from if that is the right one, I don’t see one from any of the usual pinball sites

1 week later
#2024 81 days ago

Hi, folks. Greetings to you all from Argentina.
I bought my Hook 4 days ago.
Enough to do .. I will surely ask you tips how to improve it.
It's my third machine.
I leave some pictures !
Greetings
Alex!

IMG-20200804-WA0070 (resized).jpegIMG-20200803-WA0061 (resized).jpegIMG-20200807-WA0067 (resized).jpegIMG-20200803-WA0153 (resized).jpegIMG-20200803-WA0065 (resized).jpegIMG-20200807-WA0065 (resized).jpegIMG-20200804-WA0032 (resized).jpeg
#2025 81 days ago

Welcome to Never Neverland Pan the Man!

Ist thing, make sure everything s working, batteries changed, etc.

2nd. Get ChadH's updated code.
3rd. Get Pinsound.

#2026 81 days ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

I have looked more into making a crocodile for the right ramp and it would have to modeled from scratch. Will try to figure something out but not willing to give up.

#2027 80 days ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

I have looked more into making a crocodile for the right ramp and it would have to modeled from scratch. Will try to figure something out but not willing to give up.

Awesome! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Is scanning an option? We could buy the mattel croc toy and try to position it.

Did you have any luck chrome spraying the hook speakers prints?

#2028 80 days ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Welcome to Never Neverland Pan the Man!
Ist thing, make sure everything s working, batteries changed, etc.
2nd. Get ChadH's updated code.
3rd. Get Pinsound.

4th color dmd...

#2029 78 days ago

Hey, fellas, I'm trying to get things settled. I found this connector, I don't know where it goes.

20200810_175731 (resized).jpg20200810_175743 (resized).jpg20200810_180221 (resized).jpg
#2030 78 days ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

I found this connector, I don't know where it goes.

Same on mine, I'd always assumed some kind of different coin setup or similar

pasted_image (resized).png

#2031 78 days ago

thank you for your response
the big chip was to hook up some device in game rooms.
and the small chip is from the counter.
Last night I was looking at the forum from page 1 to 22.
I'm still missing.
Thank you.

#2032 72 days ago

Hi, folks. Today I disassemble everything. I'm going to paint and place decals of the entire drawer.
Here in Argentina it is difficult to get and bring from abroad too.
I can have it produced.
But I can't find the file to download. Is it possible to find it on some page?
Does anyone know? If so, I'll ask for your help.

Thank you

IMG-20200816-WA0062 (resized).jpegIMG-20200816-WA0057 (resized).jpegIMG-20200817-WA0004 (resized).jpeg
#2033 72 days ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

Hey, fellas, I'm trying to get things settled. I found this connector, I don't know where it goes.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Optional arcade Ticket printer if I recall correctly

#2034 66 days ago

Do any of your friends happen to have the file to share with me to make the whole cabinet new?

n argentina to buy one the quality is not very good but if I take the file to a graphic it would be ideal
If anyone has it, I'd appreciate it.

hook-pinball-cabinet-decals (resized).jpg
Added 65 days ago:

I don't need it anymore.

#2035 65 days ago

Thanks

2 weeks later
#2036 49 days ago

HOOK COLORDMD VIDEO PREVIEW!

Hook is the 102nd game to be supported by the ColorDMD multicolor pinball display platform and the 2nd title supported by the new ColorDMD H-LED display for 128x-16 games!
The color ROM for HOOK has been released and is available for immediate download. http://shop.colordmd.com

#2037 48 days ago

Malenko doesn't want to acknowledge competition is good for the market with that thumbs down on your post. Looks great.

#2038 47 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

Malenko doesn't want to acknowledge competition is good for the market. Looks great.

I didn't color Hook.
I don't sell pin2dmds.
I don't color games anymore.

The downvote must have been a misclick while scrolling and you can go pound sand. I've been nothing but cordial with the colorDMD peeps so I dont need your false friction added. I undid the downvote and gave it to you instead. Feel free to return the favor despite you being in the wrong.

#2039 46 days ago

Thank you, boof friends, for your advice.
We are going ahead with the restoration!
IMG-20200910-WA0056 (resized).jpegIMG-20200910-WA0062 (resized).jpeg

20200905_200530 (resized).jpg20200908_154851 (resized).jpgIMG-20200910-WA0074 (resized).jpegIMG-20200910-WA0089 (resized).jpegIMG-20200910-WA0058 (resized).jpegIMG-20200910-WA0069 (resized).jpegIMG-20200910-WA0071 (resized).jpeg
#2040 46 days ago

Without the help of this user I would not have been able to do it. His advice helped me a lot

Boof-Ed!
Thanks

#2041 44 days ago

Hello friends, I am still restoring my Hook.
Today was the transformer and cables, when I brought it was all together, no molex tab.
Here in Argentina you do not get that type and I put another that is very good.
Now I want to check that everything is correct.
How can I do this? Can someone help me?
Thank you and greetings to all !

20200912_175309 (resized).jpg20200912_234320 (resized).jpg20200912_234325 (resized).jpgIMG-20200913-WA0027 (resized).jpegIMG-20200913-WA0029 (resized).jpeg
#2042 41 days ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I don't color games anymore.

Pity, I was hoping you'd add some 32 px scene magic like you did on Turtles, I've been planning a larger aperture speaker panel ready. I may have a play with my colouring project some of the existing animations can obviously be stretched or extended to the full panel.

I wonder if the new ColorDMD H-LED product can address 32 px like Pin2DMD.

#2043 40 days ago

Started experimenting with extending animations to 32px on my Pin2DMD

Coloured in 16px letterbox
Hook Rising.gif

Extended to full panel height
Hook Rising 32x.gif

Reworked to exercise the display
Hook Rising 32x 2.gif

#2044 39 days ago

Finally got around to painting the hooks.

IMG_20200919_094753_220 (resized).jpgIMG_20200919_094753_221 (resized).jpgIMG_20200919_094753_222 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2045 30 days ago

Can friends help me?
Do the playfield bass supports go in that direction or the other way around?
Thank you

IMG-20200927-WA0047 (resized).jpeg
#2046 27 days ago

Am upgrading a Hook for a friend. Putting LEDS in. @ questions.

First data East I have worked on- GI cannot be accessed from under playfield? Have to strip playfield to get to them?

Second, any issues with flashers. Thought I read about a problem with this era machine and flashers going off randomly and a modification of something under the playfield to correct??

Thanks

#2047 27 days ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Am upgrading a Hook for a friend. Putting LEDS in. @ questions.
First data East I have worked on- GI cannot be accessed from under playfield? Have to strip playfield to get to them?
Second, any issues with flashers. Thought I read about a problem with this era machine and flashers going off randomly and a modification of something under the playfield to correct??
Thanks

Yes, they are stapled in and need to be accessed from the top. Exactly why I have LEDs in a lot of the game but not up top where you have to take off the whole Ramp assembly. It’s about time to strip and clean the whole game so I’ll probably change mine when I have some down time at Christmas.
For flashers no idea, I’ve never put in LED flashers in any of my games sorry hopefully someone else knows this answer

#2048 27 days ago

Was afraid of that. So any good days on tear down on top?. And would love anyone's experience on flashers . Have to replace rubio ramp anyway so will tear down what I can get to

1 week later
#2049 15 days ago

Friends I am finishing the restoration of my Hook !
I need to know where this pole goes since I don't remember it.
Thanks

IMG-20201013-WA0008 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2050 7 days ago

The job is done!
Now let's enjoy it!
It all works!

20201007_174301 (resized).jpg20201007_174339 (resized).jpg20201019_215910 (resized).jpg20201019_215917 (resized).jpg20201020_155311 (resized).jpg20201020_155314 (resized).jpgIMG-20201019-WA0054 (resized).jpegIMG-20201019-WA0056 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2050 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 41.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside