IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 47.
#1901 4 years ago

Still not sure how changing a diode on a lamp socket wiped out a bridge

#1902 4 years ago

I think it just failed I'm the second owner of this game and almost all the parts in it are original

#1903 4 years ago

I've owned this hook since 1994

#1904 4 years ago

Could be just coincidence. Stranger things have happened. Let us know how you make out with the bridge

#1905 4 years ago

Man this game is fun! The new code is awesome! I’ve been playing it a lot the last week, a couple games around 300 million and then last night 426 million. Tournament mode, no extra balls. Got into multiball 3 times, got to bangarang And scored some good points in the modes like croc time and fast scoring along the way, and got the wind coaster ramp up to some pretty big values. I was a huge fan of the movie growing up. This game really immerses you into the adventure atmosphere with the music, call outs, sword fighting sounds, cannons, etc. also just found out this week that the modes on the right scoop are stackable with multiball. This game is a lot deeper than it gets credit for. I’m really glad that so many people either hated the movie or just wrote the game off because they thought the only way to get points was to spam the ramp. It made it affordable for me and my family, who cares what the pin side ranking is, it’s just pure fun!
Also changed the bulbs on the jackpot ramps to blue LEDs, with all the flashing going on in the game during multiball it can be hard to see what the jackpot is if you don’t know what you are doing, now it really stands out and looks great.

B204B9A4-A4BA-4FA6-89FF-D7E3F63B8CC5 (resized).jpegB204B9A4-A4BA-4FA6-89FF-D7E3F63B8CC5 (resized).jpeg
#1906 4 years ago

Parkshow30 you should get a pinsound board for it too

#1907 4 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

parkshow30 you should get a pinsound board for it too

I have heard this recommended, Haven’t looked into it yet. I will have to check it out, thanks.

#1908 4 years ago

Parkshow30 good review for me chad code saved this game. I've just got a colour pin2dmd for mine looks great, side art blades too.

#1909 4 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I have heard this recommended, Haven’t looked into it yet. I will have to check it out, thanks.

Therea no checking into it. If you loved the movie you must get one. Makes it seem like a completely different game. I was hesitant at first just because the price. After installing it i have never looked back and wondered how did i play it without pinsound.

#1910 4 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Therea no checking into it. If you loved the movie you must get one. Makes it seem like a completely different game. I was hesitant at first just because the price. After installing it i have never looked back and wondered how did i play it without pinsound.

Now I'm wanting one too. Are the Hook sounds available to download from somewhere?

#1911 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Now I'm wanting one too. Are the Hook sounds available to download from somewhere?

I can send you the files once your ready for it. Just shoot me a pm. I also have saved files for the shaker kit to go with the sounds. You can add a shaker kit to the pinsound plus board made by pinsound.

#1912 4 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

I got the colored display and makes a huge difference...

#1913 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Now I'm wanting one too.

The three things any Hook machine should have is:
1. Be in working condition
2. Chad's code
3. Pinsound

#1914 4 years ago

I have a HOOK pinball that my grandfather bought sometime in the early '90s that I have finally got working again. I have changed all the bulbs to LED, got some things repaired on the boards in the back, which controlled the vertical up kick.

Only one small issue is the right flipper is now sticking. I need to buy a rebuild kit for the flippers, but should I also replace the coils?

While I am doing this, can I upgrade the flipper buttons to illuminated buttons?

What is a pinsound, and where do I get one, and how do I install it.

Anything else I should do to this thing?

#1915 4 years ago
Quoted from boogieman98:

I have a HOOK pinball that my grandfather bought sometime in the early '90s that I have finally got working again. I have changed all the bulbs to LED, got some things repaired on the boards in the back, which controlled the vertical up kick.
Only one small issue is the right flipper is now sticking. I need to buy a rebuild kit for the flippers, but should I also replace the coils?
While I am doing this, can I upgrade the flipper buttons to illuminated buttons?
What is a pinsound, and where do I get one, and how do I install it.

I did the colored screen in mine..Made the game look way more modern...

#1916 4 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I did the colored screen in mine..Made the game look way more modern...

Agreed!

By default Hook only uses 2 brightness levels on the DMD which in that video are replaced by white and red only. Pin2dmd looks better still if you apply a full colouring map - vbobrusev on here has done a great job that he sells. I'm doing my own but it takes weeks!

#1917 4 years ago
Quoted from boogieman98:What is a pinsound, and where do I get one, and how do I install it.

Pinsound is a replacement for your stock soundboard. It allows you to have and switch between multiple "soundtracks," callouts for a game, and the volume level for callouts and music. It also has options to use headphones and other things. a new version has the ability to hook up a shaker motor and customize the vibrations to your game. https://www.pinsound.org/

If you haven't yet, upgrade your game's ROM to chad's version. Rule changes, audio changes, etc were all done by him to make the game much much much better.

https://www.pinballcode.com/

Do those two things. You won't regret the money spent on a pinsound and the change to the new ROM. To quote a certain pirate, "Have I ever made a promise I haven't kept?"

#1918 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Agreed!
By default Hook only uses 2 brightness levels on the DMD which in that video are replaced by white and red only. Pin2dmd looks better still if you apply a full colouring map - vbobrusev on here has done a great job that he sells. I'm doing my own but it takes weeks!

Its full color....My videos don't really do a good job showing the color spectrum..Looks 10 times better in person..Even has purple...

1 week later
#1919 4 years ago

Hi all! first post here

I am looking for a part-number for the ball trench running from the skull to the scoop. I have one with broken of mounting point and a nice big hole where the ball gets stuck.

Also, what is the generally accepted method of fixing some wood chips off the backbox? Next to that, cleaning cleaning cleaning as this machine hasn't seen any TLC for at least 8 years... (and yes, I removed the batteries, step 1. Thank god no corrosion)

#1920 4 years ago
Quoted from erikv:

Hi all! first post here
I am looking for a part-number for the ball trench running from the skull to the scoop. I have one with broken of mounting point and a nice big hole where the ball gets stuck.
Also, what is the generally accepted method of fixing some wood chips off the backbox? Next to that, cleaning cleaning cleaning as this machine hasn't seen any TLC for at least 8 years... (and yes, I removed the batteries, step 1. Thank god no corrosion)

DE Hook Under Chute Assembly DE-535-5156-00
Good Luck!
I found one about 4 years ago at pbresource

#1921 4 years ago

I am going to get that PinSound for sure but on the Rom can I purchase a ROM already flashed so all I have to do is install it? Also, I just purchase a knocker as the one in the machine was missing. I went through diagnostic to test it but nothing. Any ideas?

#1922 4 years ago
Quoted from boogieman98:

I am going to get that PinSound for sure but on the Rom can I purchase a ROM already flashed so all I have to do is install it? Also, I just purchase a knocker as the one in the machine was missing. I went through diagnostic to test it but nothing. Any ideas?

I got mine from https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade He's great, done a couple for me. He just charges for the rom chip and the burning. Go to ChadH's website to donate for all his hardwork redoing the code. He did a fantastic job balancing the game and incorporating our feedback into the update.

I heard the pinsound with the shaker is awesome. I haven't tried it, but thats the one i would go for.

#1923 4 years ago

I'm playing a lot recently on the Chad 5.0.1 code and regularly notice that the Pirate awards aren't awarded for hitting just the top drop target (closest to windcoaster), I have to hit one of the bottom 3 to win it. Has anybody else noticed this? It could be machine specific but I'm sure that target registers as the bank reliably resets to the Cannon animation during normal game play.

#1924 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

I'm playing a lot recently on the Chad 5.0.1 code and regularly notice that the Pirate awards aren't awarded for hitting just the top drop target (closest to windcoaster), I have to hit one of the bottom 3 to win it. Has anybody else noticed this? It could be machine specific but I'm sure that target registers as the bank reliably resets to the Cannon animation during normal game play.

Ive noticed this time to time but thought it was just me.

#1925 4 years ago

Ive noticed this time to time but thought it was just me.

Interesting, I'll keep a closer eye I've only noticed it on the top target as that's easiest for me to hit, this area is mentioned in the 5.0.1 guide;

"Adjusted logic on Drop Targets to better guarantee that they will register during Pirate Town."

#1926 4 years ago

I am shopping a Hook that I acquired recently and have a question about the deflector for the center hole. The one on this machine is cocked to the right (viewed standing at the front of the machine). If the factory mounting holes were used, it would be straight. Has anyone seen this before or is aware of a reason for this?

0226202201_Film3 (resized).jpg0226202201_Film3 (resized).jpg0226202201a_Film3 (resized).jpg0226202201a_Film3 (resized).jpg
#1927 4 years ago

Hi guys,
Andrea from italy here, proud Hooks' owner, spent many year on that game, i once scored something around 676 millions.
I read almost all your threads and i confess i was very pleased of all the quirks and glitches that you reported, only heavy gamers can know that.
Many hours spent with that game and now i'm intrigued about upgrading cpu rom to the 5.01 version.

I'm making some homemade repairments with a friend, and we noticed there's installed a knocker which is unconnected near the cash box, when we tried to connected it started to knock immediately, so we've left it unconnected. Any suggestions? .Can you tell me when the knocker kick in the game?I'm so curious since no one talked about that.
Overall the pinball is in good condition, apart some light that are very dim (1 row), we double check the matrix lamps but it's not easy, i thought i may override the problem using LED.What do you think, is it doable?

Hook Hook HOOK!

#1928 4 years ago

Update on my problem with hook ended up being a bad bridge rectifier on the power board and a bad tip 36 c at Q3 on the ppb board I checked all the transistors and I checked all my coils and diodes on the coils had one bad diode on one coil the drop Target coil so after I replace the bad diode the tip 36C transistor and the bridge rectifier put a new fuse in on the power board that was blown from the bridge rectifier going bad I'm sure... plugged it in and fired it up and everything works perfectly thanks for the help guys

#1929 4 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I am shopping a Hook that I acquired recently and have a question about the deflector for the center hole. The one on this machine is cocked to the right (viewed standing at the front of the machine). If the factory mounting holes were used, it would be straight. Has anyone seen this before or is aware of a reason for this?[quoted image][quoted image]

I would imagine bricked shots were going straight down the middle and the angle was adjusted with new screw holes to prevent this.

#1930 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would imagine bricked shots were going straight down the middle and the angle was adjusted with new screw holes to prevent this.

I'll buy that! Probably leave it as is.

#1931 4 years ago
Quoted from Magellano:

Can you tell me when the knocker kick in the game?

The knocker was missing on mine so I installed one, it knocks for Replay, Match and (I think) multiple times for certain hi-scores. Perhaps other things like Bangerang and Victory award, I rarely see those!
Iirc I've read that the knocker circuit can be used for something else (play meter?) others may know the detail.

#1932 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

The knocker was missing on mine so I installed one, it knocks for Replay, Match and (I think) multiple times for certain hi-scores. Perhaps other things like Bangerang and Victory award, I rarely see those!
Iirc I've read that the knocker circuit can be used for something else (play meter?) others may know the detail.

Imho just with awarding a special. You can use it as spare kickback/laserkick though

I am slowly dismantling my Hook for a cleaning. You literally cant touch anything under the glass and keep your hands clean. Big coat of black dust on everything.

#1933 4 years ago

A tad on the dirty side

IMG_20200227_214042 (resized).jpgIMG_20200227_214042 (resized).jpg
#1934 4 years ago

A lot of that is from the black rubbers. Are you going to use Titan silicone rings?

#1935 4 years ago

I am going for regular rubber for now but whites. This machine definitly hasn't been cleaned or even looked at since I know of it's existence (8+ years).

So for now the plan is a nice clean+wax, clean out all the inserts from below as there is black dust everywhere etc, full LED upgrade (Gi/flash/Controlled), downhole protectors, DMD saver, some new connectors here and there, fresh balls etc.

Some work on the ball lane below the skull (somebody has had a go on it before, but it needs some metal spotwelded) and to bad there is a hole in the ruffio ramp (but not dramatic yet) so I might get another one from freeplay40

#1936 4 years ago

cleans up nicely; still awaiting some parts (mainly my AlieExpress Gi leds, thanks Corona )

IMG_20200228_141936 (resized).jpgIMG_20200228_141936 (resized).jpgIMG_20200228_145701 (resized).jpgIMG_20200228_145701 (resized).jpg
#1937 4 years ago

Just updated my Hook to color and it is awesome! Thanks to dpannell for the awesome display and vbobrusev for the great job he did on coloring. It looks very sharp!

I noticed that the scoring numbers seem to have a little ripple in them but went and looked at the earlier videos and they had the ripple in them as well. Was that always that way or something due to the coloring? Honestly, I can't remember how it was prior to putting in the color screen.

Super easy to do!. The hardest part was putting the ROM chip into the display. Had to bend some legs, etc. Other than that, no big deal at all.

#1938 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Just updated my Hook to color and it is awesome! Thanks to dpannell for the awesome display and vbobrusev for the great job he did on coloring. It looks very sharp!
I noticed that the scoring numbers seem to have a little ripple in them but went and looked at the earlier videos and they had the ripple in them as well. Was that always that way or something due to the coloring? Honestly, I can't remember how it was prior to putting in the color screen.
Super easy to do!. The hardest part was putting the ROM chip into the display. Had to bend some legs, etc. Other than that, no big deal at all.

Thats supposed to be a sparkle effect inside the numbers. The original dmd had it as well. Congrats on the color dmd! Gamechanger

#1939 4 years ago

Thats supposed to be a sparkle effect inside the numbers. The original dmd had it as well. Congrats on the color dmd! Gamechanger

Thanks for the clarification. The color DMD is a must have.

Just curious, has anybody put together a good music mix for Pinsound? I put one in my machine years ago, tried to make a mix which sucked, and eventually sold the board.

#1940 4 years ago

Two component metal glue (200kg/cm2) and i cut up some mounting hardware to fix the skull ball guide

Judging by the spot welds somebody had a go at it before

IMG_20200307_160205 (resized).jpgIMG_20200307_160205 (resized).jpg
#1941 4 years ago

I’m getting a random reset. When I turn the game on and Tootles says his spiel when he gets to the final 2 words the game resets. It will do this every time UNLESS I plunge the ball before he stops talking. If I do that the game works fine and I can also play all night with no resets as long as it stays on. As soon as the game is off and turns back on the problem starts again. Any ideas?

A week ago the display was scrolling and after checking to make sure everything was seated correctly I found someone that had a similar problem on a medieval madness and they said it was failing caps. I ordered and replaced the two that were failing and the display worked great all week including 4 straight hours of play from a birthday party. Haven’t done anything else to the game recently

#1942 4 years ago

anyone knows the nut size on the powerswitch on the bottom? mine came undone years ago so the entire switch can be pushed into the cabinet now

Added over 4 years ago:

edit: likely 12mm nut with a fine thread; I solvedit by ordering a 80 cent 2 pole powerswitch on AlieExpress

1 week later
#1943 4 years ago

A welcome sight after beeing apart and cleaned, waxed and fixed. Led upgrade did a ton of good!

IMG_20200318_204145 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_204145 (resized).jpg
#1944 4 years ago

I just unpacked my new to me Hook. It plays well until you hit the Skull hole, once it drops in there, it goes dark with “Slam Tilt” on the display. Game over ball kicks out to the drain and you can start over. Playing it a while longer, making sure not to hit that hole and somewhere in the upper play field it will get a skull and crossbones and tilt, goes to next ball. Any ideas what the issue may on this thing?

#1945 4 years ago
Quoted from Troostr:

I just unpacked my new to me Hook. It plays well until you hit the Skull hole, once it drops in there, it goes dark with “Slam Tilt” on the display. Game over ball kicks out to the drain and you can start over. Playing it a while longer, making sure not to hit that hole and somewhere in the upper play field it will get a skull and crossbones and tilt, goes to next ball. Any ideas what the issue may on this thing?

Sounds like you need to go over the switch matrix. I would suggest you start a game, remove the glass and trigger some switches manually; the under playfiel though (the skull lane) is in the same row as the slam tilt, switches in the same column might be stuck etc. Run a switch test aswel

#1946 4 years ago
Quoted from erikv:

Sounds like you need to go over the switch matrix. I would suggest you start a game, remove the glass and trigger some switches manually; the under playfiel though (the skull lane) is in the same row as the slam tilt, switches in the same column might be stuck etc. Run a switch test aswel

welxome to the club! as erikv suggests sounds like you have a short either under the playfield or in the board in the backbox. if you can figure out what triggers the slam tilt in the upper playfield that would be helpful . do the switch test ( remove balls from trough) and manual trigger test as erikv suggests
here is the switch matrix to get you started

hook jw matrix1.jpghook jw matrix1.jpg
#1947 4 years ago
Quoted from Troostr:

I just unpacked my new to me Hook.

Good advice above, testing groups of switches and diagnostics is your friend here for possible short or faulty switch diode causing phantom activations.

Another thought, if new to you, was it working properly before being transported?

#1948 4 years ago

curious, is the skull scoop 47( under pfld trough) ?

#1949 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

curious, is the skull scoop 47( under pfld trough) ?

Yes.

#1950 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Good advice above, testing groups of switches and diagnostics is your friend here for possible short or faulty switch diode causing phantom activations.
Another thought, if new to you, was it working properly before being transported?

Yes it was, so I'm hopeful that its just a stuck switch somewhere.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll get a chance to mess with it today I hope.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/39?hl=dpannell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.