IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 47.
#1801 4 years ago

vbobrusev has the hook files to download here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3656-data-east-hook-colorization/
He's also a member here and you may need to PM vbobrusev to get the pin2dmd files for a real hook as opposed to the vpin files.

#1802 4 years ago

I'm having the flippers die in multiball when lots of coils fire. It seems to come back shortly after, but is causing drains because the flipper doesn't fire when you go to catch the ball. Any tips? I'm not super familiar with DE games yet.

#1803 4 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Im interested in purchasing pretty stoked its plug and play. How do i go about ordering one up for hook

Contact dpannell for the hardware.

#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I'm having the flippers die in multiball when lots of coils fire. It seems to come back shortly after, but is causing drains because the flipper doesn't fire when you go to catch the ball. Any tips? I'm not super familiar with DE games yet.

Ok, I think I have at least a short term fix for the flippers. I pulled and reseated the connectors on the flipper board and had a friend play several test games and over many multiballs did not have a single issue.

I am having one recurring issue that is REALLY pissing me off. The drop targets, when knocked down will increase the ramp value. Cool, I like that because it takes away the left ramp all day strategy that we got to use at Pinburgh. Well I have a drop that is frequently registering over and over while down with shock from the flippers or pops firing. I have fixed it twice already and last night it came up again.

The first time I fixed it was by cleaning the contact on the switch and adjusting it so it would press harder on the other side of the switch. The issue came back. So I replaced all of the switches with new ones. Problem went away. Then, after 2-3 weeks, it's back again. It's really annoying and because it will go away after I do stuff to the switch I don't think it's an issue elsewhere in the machine. Anyone else run into this?

#1805 4 years ago

I'm in the middle of shopping out a Hook, and I had a few questions for Hook owners.

Pic 1) For the treetop plastics, how does the top one attach? Standoffs? I found the top plastic in the bottom of the cabinet.
Hook1 (resized).jpgHook1 (resized).jpg

Pic 2) For the boulder plastic, where does that one belong? It was also found loose in the cabinet.
Hook2 (resized).jpgHook2 (resized).jpg

Pic 3) The Peter Pan plastic, I know where it should go, but not what the mounting hardware should be. Also is the left edge broken on my plastic?
Hook3 (resized).jpgHook3 (resized).jpg

Pic 4) Is there supposed to be something between the gap of the two clear plastic upright pieces? It had a bunch of electrical tape covering that space originally.
Hook4 (resized).jpgHook4 (resized).jpg

Pic 5) What is this little metal piece on the wood to the right of the launch ramp area? Is it supposed to be attached to something?
hook5 (resized).jpghook5 (resized).jpg

Pic 6 & 7) I have never seen wire wrapped around a post, like I found by the lower/center pop bumper. I'm assuming this was some wonky route hack... should those posts just have standard rubber rings on them?
hook6 (resized).jpghook6 (resized).jpg

hook7 (resized).jpghook7 (resized).jpg

Thanks for any help/pictures!

#1806 4 years ago

FYI this is what I started with: Just a bit of a protective dust layer to start with...
hookStart (resized).jpghookStart (resized).jpg

And where I'm currently at in tearing it down
hookCurrent (resized).jpghookCurrent (resized).jpg

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from osver:

I'm in the middle of shopping out a Hook, and I had a few questions for Hook owners.
Pic 1) For the treetop plastics, how does the top one attach? Standoffs? I found the top plastic in the bottom of the cabinet.
[quoted image]
Pic 2) For the boulder plastic, where does that one belong? It was also found loose in the cabinet.
[quoted image]
Pic 3) The Peter Pan plastic, I know where it should go, but not what the mounting hardware should be. Also is the left edge broken on my plastic?
[quoted image]
Pic 4) Is there supposed to be something between the gap of the two clear plastic upright pieces? It had a bunch of electrical tape covering that space originally.
[quoted image]
Pic 5) What is this little metal piece on the wood to the right of the launch ramp area? Is it supposed to be attached to something?
[quoted image]
Pic 6 & 7) I have never seen wire wrapped around a post, like I found by the lower/center pop bumper. I'm assuming this was some wonky route hack... should those posts just have standard rubber rings on them?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Thanks for any help/pictures!

Crash has submitted a very useful gallery of shop out photos here https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/hook/gallery

pic1) tree top plastic has standoffs, pics here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/16#post-3544312

pic2) boulder plastic fits over bottom pop and a circular tree plastic, pics in a few of posts from here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/18#post-3941266

I will check the rest on my machine later.

#1808 4 years ago

pic3) yes piece missing off your Pan plastic (common) that wraps around the vuk habitrail. The plastic screws onto the back of the windcoaster ramp. (ignore the plastic behind on mine which is a spare)
20190815_082410 (resized).jpg20190815_082410 (resized).jpg
20190815_082829 (resized).jpg20190815_082829 (resized).jpg

pic3) the gap is correct, dunno why taped perhaps ball hang ups, that's never happened on mine there
20190815_082354 (resized).jpg20190815_082354 (resized).jpg

pic 5) dunno, that looks like where the skill shot ramp attaches, perhaps used as a spacer for some reason
20190815_082643 (resized).jpg20190815_082643 (resized).jpg

pic 6 and 7) that spring (or similar) is actually correct and should be one fitted on each side of the lower pop, those areas are the only (on my machine) ball hang up on the game if not adjusted out properly
20190815_082003 (resized).jpg20190815_082003 (resized).jpg
20190815_082134 (resized).jpg20190815_082134 (resized).jpg

Interesting your machine has blue pop bodies a lot seem to be, mine are yellow.

Let me know if you need any more pics always happy to help bring a Hook back to life

#1809 4 years ago

Thanks a lot for those pics astyy

#1810 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Ok, I think I have at least a short term fix for the flippers. I pulled and reseated the connectors on the flipper board and had a friend play several test games and over many multiballs did not have a single issue.
I am having one recurring issue that is REALLY pissing me off. The drop targets, when knocked down will increase the ramp value. Cool, I like that because it takes away the left ramp all day strategy that we got to use at Pinburgh. Well I have a drop that is frequently registering over and over while down with shock from the flippers or pops firing. I have fixed it twice already and last night it came up again.
The first time I fixed it was by cleaning the contact on the switch and adjusting it so it would press harder on the other side of the switch. The issue came back. So I replaced all of the switches with new ones. Problem went away. Then, after 2-3 weeks, it's back again. It's really annoying and because it will go away after I do stuff to the switch I don't think it's an issue elsewhere in the machine. Anyone else run into this?

On my hook under the drop targets the wires where getting pinched from lowering the playfield it was kinda hard to see it. There was a repair bulletin about it but I can't find it

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from Jerrybest:

On my hook under the drop targets the wires where getting pinched from lowering the playfield it was kinda hard to see it. There was a repair bulletin about it but I can't find it

Interesting. I'll have to see if that is something that is a factor on mine. I'll also try to find that service bulletin, but if anyone else finds it please share.

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Interesting. I'll have to see if that is something that is a factor on mine. I'll also try to find that service bulletin, but if anyone else finds it please share.

20190815_115303 (resized).jpg20190815_115303 (resized).jpg
#1813 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing the information.

2 weeks later
#1815 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

vbobrusev has the hook files to download here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3656-data-east-hook-colorization/
He's also a member here and you may need to PM vbobrusev to get the pin2dmd files for a real hook as opposed to the vpin files.

Here is the new 128 x 16 pin2DMD display with built in controller for Hook, Batman, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, and TMNT. This is a bolt in color display replacement for Hook. All you need to do is transfer the display EPROM. Send me a PM if you'd like one. Here is a video of the new display connected to my DE checkpoint.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i_66gseXETjgTZmQHV2CCn6dKdxwSXlF

pin2dmdsmalldis (resized).jpgpin2dmdsmalldis (resized).jpg
#1816 4 years ago

Is this pretty much a plug and play unit or will I need to get a color eprom?

#1817 4 years ago

Can't wait to see someone do a video with this display installed in their Hook!

#1818 4 years ago

You will need to remove the EPROM from your existing display and install it into the pin2DMD. At this point, it will work as a standard monochrome display. The game has been colorized by vbobrusev. As Malenko suggested, if you contact vbobrusev, he can provide you with 2 files that can be copied to your SD card for colorized gameplay.

#1819 4 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Can't wait to see someone do a video with this display installed in their Hook!

@vbobrusev has alredy posted a video of his colorization of this game, see link below...

Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hook in color

#1820 4 years ago

I've colored TMNT and Checkpoint for "half sized dmds" ; TMNT was converted to a full sized DMD but if there was demand I could redo it for x16

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

@vbobrusev has alredy posted a video of his colorization of this game, see link below...

Thanks! Is there a site to buy this plug and play yet?

#1822 4 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Quoted from pinballsp:

To buy the DMDMK66 and any product that I manufacture, you can contact me by private forum messaging, email [email protected], Skype pinballsp, WhatsApp +34693344445, Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Pinballsp
DMDMK66 128x32, price 197 € + shipping costs (26€ for most of European countries).
Optional extras; preconfigured micro SD card + € 12, Amber filter + € 23.
You do not have to pay any kind of licenses with my products, the use of the Magic Editor is completely free and without limitations so you can use it to color any game, and the games that I color will also be free to download and use.
Regards

#1823 4 years ago

I think he means that can display the game in color

#1824 4 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Ask dpannell

Crash There is no working 128x16 DataEast Display from PinballSP afaik.

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I think he means that can display the game in color

Correct, I misread. Sorry about that.

#1826 4 years ago

Hello everyone

i got too a hook pinball, after some work & clean , my pinball is now ready
so much fun for all the family

i just received a pinsound card and i am looking for a new mix package. Can someone share it one if possible ?

maybe i could work on it too and share it again after ?

thank a lot !

i have also some interrest with the color display. Is the operation complex ?

regards

#1827 4 years ago

I got to Bangarang for the first time last night. Best part was it was in a tournament and the player I had to beat to win the event had 96m after ball 3. I ended the game with 320-something million after starting ball 2 with 14m.

When I read about Bangarang somewhere I thought it was something to do with getting the 3-ball multiball, but that wasn't it. I decided to not read too much more about it after that. Funny thing is that the insert was blinking when it was ready and I've literally never noticed this insert before. I've been playing this game for 4 years, mostly when my former business partner owned the game. I've owned it for about a year now.

Got 45m in the mode by the way. I wasted some time tying to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do.

2 weeks later
#1828 4 years ago

Just got my my new color display Pin2DMD installed today. Added two videos of it in action playing two horrible games lol..

Want to give a big thanks to pinsiders dpannell and vbobrusev for making it happen. Great people to work with.

Looks 10 times better in person...

#1829 4 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Just got my my new color display Pin2DMD installed today. Added two videos of it in action playing two horrible games lol..
Want to give a big thanks to pinsiders dpannell and vbobrusev for making it happen. Great people to work with.
Looks 10 times better in person...

Great job, that looks awesome! I appreciate the shout out but it's really lucky1 who deserves the thanks, this is his creation.

3 weeks later
#1830 4 years ago

Hi
Hope some one can help me with my Hook pinball problem.
When i have played awaile, most often when multibal and i shoot for left ramp the sound dissapair til ball brain, or game reset, can happen in normal play to when alott happen.
Al boards are original, wath can be wrong?

#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from Run22:

Hi
Hope some one can help me with my Hook pinball problem.
When i have played awaile, most often when multibal and i shoot for left ramp the sound dissapair til ball brain, or game reset, can happen in normal play to when alott happen.
Al boards are original, wath can be wrong?

Unplug the rope light on the wind coaster ramp and play the pin and see if the issue goes away.

#1832 4 years ago

I unpuged the rope light and ewerything work perfekt, no losing sound or resetting, Thx for the tip Hawkeye But What is wrong with the rope light? How Can i fix it?

#1833 4 years ago
Quoted from Run22:

I unpuged the rope light and ewerything work perfekt, no losing sound or resetting, Thx for the tip Hawkeye But What is wrong with the rope light? How Can i fix it?

Mine is doing the same thing. I'm converting my rope lights to LED lights and going to see if that's the issue

#1834 4 years ago

Maybe led wil work, lover voltage, keep me updated on the led convertion, if IT work i wil do the Same to my hook, Thx for helping me out

#1835 4 years ago

Your welcome. There is a power supply that controls the rope light. I would take a look at it and make sure yours is not defective. Its located top right of the backbox above the MPU board

#1836 4 years ago
Quoted from Run22:

Buy a new board for the rope light. I want to say its around 50 bucks. Mine had the same issue. Replaced that small auxiliary board and no problems in the past couple years

#1837 4 years ago

That chaser board (520-5054-01) is very simple with just a few components, may be obvious to inspect or test with your DMM and fix if that's your kind of thing in this hobby

#1838 4 years ago

First i wil try to change components on the chaser bord and then i hope it wil work without using to mutch power so soundboard fail, comming with update when the soldering is done

#1839 4 years ago
Quoted from Run22:

First i wil try to change components on the chaser bord and then i hope it wil work without using to mutch power so soundboard fail, comming with update when the soldering is done

Run22 your symptoms remind me of the thread below, where the rope pulls down the 12V supply to below the sound board threshold, the problem normally applies on 3rd party power boards (you mention original) but something else to read/check
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizarre-audio-break-up-problem-on-hook

#1840 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

run22 your symptoms remind me of the thread below, where the rope pulls down the 12V supply to below the sound board threshold, the problem normally applies on 3rd party power boards (you mention original) but something else to read/check

I tried three different power boards and it had the same problem.

#1841 4 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

run22 your symptoms remind me of the thread below, where the rope pulls down the 12V supply to below the sound board threshold, the problem normally applies on 3rd party power boards (you mention original) but something else to read/check

Building on what I said in that thread, anyone having this issue needs to investigate the +12v unregulated power rail with a meter. If this drops to 9v it will cause the amplifiers on the sound board to turn off until the voltage comes back up. Shooting the wind coaster ramp causes the rope lights to draw a high amount of current from the +12v supply. If this is happening, it is not the rope lights or the rope light aux driver board. That's only the symptom, the root cause is a weak +12v power supply. I would verify all connectors for that line are good and replace capacitors on your power supply, particularly C4 if using an original board.

In my case, I was using an X-Pin aftermarket power supply with a faulty +12v rail. I had to modify the board to include a larger filter cap which resolved the problem.

#1842 4 years ago

when-in-doubt-c4-meme_79 (resized).pngwhen-in-doubt-c4-meme_79 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#1843 4 years ago

Could Someone post a photo of their flipper spring configurations? I'm currently rebuilding mine and looks like the flipper spring has been re-mounted across the lower light board....very sloppy... Please and thank you!

#1844 4 years ago

New power cap kitt arrived today, hope this vil solve the problem with sound/ ropelight,update wil come when i have time to solder the caps
C8E05A34-D45D-4830-9AB1-375F3E0D2C48 (resized).jpegC8E05A34-D45D-4830-9AB1-375F3E0D2C48 (resized).jpeg

#1845 4 years ago

OMG
Now the caps are change an Ewerything work But no sound? Wath is wrong, Have looked ower ewerything, cant se Notting wrong, need hjelp plz

#1846 4 years ago

when i looked ower the power board the owner before me had done alot cowboy soldring time to let go on this original power
New Xpin power board is on the way, hope this wil hjelp

#1847 4 years ago

Hopefully Brett has resolved issues with the regulated +12v power supply on X-Pin boards. If you test shooting the windcoaster ramp and the sound still cuts out, I would contact him with a multimeter voltage reading on the +12v supply while the rope lights are flashing. He’s very helpful.

#1848 4 years ago

THX for the info Crash

#1849 4 years ago

Got my xpin rev G to day, and just installed it, Wow! Ewerything is working so nice, rope light and sound dont Bug eanymore, problem fixed I think The bumpers hit harder than before? The Hole game seams smother/ fasther, I think Brett solved the 12v problem on rev G
The only negativ thing is little louder humming from speakers when stansing standby,

A2F81AD2-ECCA-4D4C-A384-55EB5B2CA166 (resized).jpegA2F81AD2-ECCA-4D4C-A384-55EB5B2CA166 (resized).jpeg
#1850 4 years ago
Quoted from Run22:

Got my xpin rev G to day, and just installed it, Wow! Ewerything is working so nice, rope light and sound dont Bug eanymore, problem fixed I think The bumpers hit harder than before? The Hole game seams smother/ fasther, I think Brett solved the 12v problem on rev G
The only negativ thing is little louder humming from speakers when stansing standby,[quoted image]

Awesome! Have you checked out a pin sound board yet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 64.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,313 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/37?hl=hawkeyexx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.