Topic Stats

• 1,764 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by pinballsp
  • Topic is favorited by 57 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 494 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

debug.jpg
ScreenHunter_116.jpg
ScreenHunter_111.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20190514_125502 (resized).jpg
20190514_125343 (resized).jpg
920394F3-7402-44F3-A10D-BC016FBB07FA (resized).jpeg
Peter rising.gif
Skill Shot.gif
Hook Rising.gif
tomatoes.gif
Hook swords.gif
Hook ver.gif
Hook logo rising.gif
4BA6FF41-BAD2-4BE9-BC60-F6C0169E7E94 (resized).jpeg
7CB9FC94-7A09-4A64-A6CC-57DE91FA3E59 (resized).jpeg

There are 1764 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.
#1751 21 days ago

Long story ahead of how I’m finally joining the Hook club!

Started off bright and early picking up a u-haul van at 7am and loading a pin from my basement (head removal-pain). Had a sale lined up at the pinfest show. The move and sale went well thanks to help from a friend. Then it was time to hit the floor and shop for that next pin. Saw a Hook in my area a couple weeks ago but a deal didn’t happen. Having done some research on it and seeing that code update by Chad, I was keeping an eye out for it on the pinfest floor and low and behold there were two! Both asking 2200. Worked a deal out with one of them for 1900. Looked like it was basically a refurbed machine. Has a new rotten dog board and new dmd. Some LEDs throughout. The seller I got it from was the nicest guy. Was happy with that and we loaded it up in the van. Due to unchangeable door constraints, I knew ahead of time odds are I’d have to remove the back-box. Get home and sure enough it won’t fit. Go to tilt the head up in the van to start unplugging and there wasn’t enough room to get the head upright! What a pickle. Couldn’t get it inside, couldn’t disassemble in the van. Resorted to throwing a tarp down on my lawn and doing the deed right there. Mind you it’s 10:30pm and my u-haul was due back at midnight! Holy hell, why are there so many connectors with this pin! Was tagging as I unplugged, made it A through Z and 1 to 18!! Finally got it unplugged (nightmare level task) and moved it inside the house, then slid it down the basement steps with the help of same friend. And that’s how it lies now (pic). Ran out quick and dropped the u-haul off with 30 mins to spare.

I sit here now, physically beat, mentally drained, anxious about having to plug all these wires back in over the coming days but overall excited. Wish me luck reconnecting everything!

920394F3-7402-44F3-A10D-BC016FBB07FA (resized).jpeg
#1752 19 days ago
Quoted from astyy:

I've been tinkering with the PinballSP Magic editor to colourise the Hook DMD - in anticipation for his release of the 128x16 colour DMD (to replace my original broken one!) I thought I'd share some progress here - the gifs seem to look better if you click on them.
Hook actually only uses 3 (of 4) brightness levels (off, dim, bright) so just mapping those to new colours isn't very interesting. I'm separating out the animations, each with it's own pallet and painting a custom colour to discrete items within them, it is then a straightforward job to change the colour of an item e.g. to change the Shooter knob in the Skill shot animation from blue to something else.
This way people with good colour taste and art skill can make them better still.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

This game is already colorized for pin2dmd

1 week later
#1753 10 days ago

So beautiful. Just got in a brand new hook playfield thats never been on a machine. Got a big project ahead of me in the near future. Thoughts on putting on a pf protector? Or not installing it at all?

20190514_125343 (resized).jpg
#1755 10 days ago

Beautiful,good luck with the swap!, I vote no on the protector

#1756 9 days ago

Nice indeed, your pic highlights some great artwork in the middle to back area that's largely hidden.

No to protector here too if for huo, perhaps consider if operated.

#1757 9 days ago

I agree. No protector.

#1758 9 days ago

A protector will be the only way to keep it totally minty, which might be good since this is the only new hook playfield I've ever seen. If properly installed you won't see a difference in gameplay. But it's yours to enjoy how you like and won't likely see much if any wear from home use with proper care.

Either way, I would definitely install cliffy protectors on the two scoops. Those will get wallowed out over time.

#1759 9 days ago

Looks great! Can you post some more pictures? Including close-ups?

#1760 9 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

A protector will be the only way to keep it totally minty, which might be good since this is the only new hook playfield I've ever seen. If properly installed you won't see a difference in gameplay. But it's yours to enjoy how you like and won't likely see much if any wear from home use with proper care.
Either way, I would definitely install cliffy protectors on the two scoops. Those will get wallowed out over time.

Def going to be doing cliffys

Quoted from ChadH:

Looks great! Can you post some more pictures? Including close-ups?

I can post more pics when i open it back up for install. Would like to try and get a few other parts new prior to install

20190514_125502 (resized).jpg
#1761 9 days ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

This game is already colorized for pin2dmd

That is irrelevant to the DMDMK66 project.

#1762 9 days ago

I'm happy to share my PinballSP DMD colouring with other Hook fans that get this Colour DMD (once available). What is holding me up is capturing the more difficult DMD events (Jackpot, Bangerang, Cannon, Clocks, Skull shot etc) using Visual Pinball which doesn't run well on my PC. If anybody can help provide more dumps from VPX, which are easy to output I'd appreciate it.

It's interesting to see the animations in detail, I've never noticed that the 3 skill shots are different and show the corresponding item on the ramp plastic.

pasted_image (resized).png

#1763 9 days ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

So beautiful. Just got in a brand new hook playfield thats never been on a machine. Got a big project ahead of me in the near future. Thoughts on putting on a pf protector? Or not installing it at all?
[quoted image]

Great artwork! It looks incredible!!

#1764 8 days ago
Quoted from astyy:

I'm happy to share my PinballSP DMD colouring with other Hook fans that get this Colour DMD (once available). What is holding me up is capturing the more difficult DMD events (Jackpot, Bangerang, Cannon, Clocks, Skull shot etc) using Visual Pinball which doesn't run well on my PC. If anybody can help provide more dumps from VPX, which are easy to output I'd appreciate it.
It's interesting to see the animations in detail, I've never noticed that the 3 skill shots are different and show the corresponding item on the ramp plastic.
[quoted image]

I suggest you use the Visual Pinmame Debug mode. To do this press the ESC key and select the Debug Window option, the "Debugger" window will open.

In this same window you will see three buttons, one with the Play symbol, one for Pause and the third for Step by Step. To play, the Play button must be active, if you press Pause, the game stops, until you restart it again by pressing the Play button. The Step by Step button, is used to advance the game step by step according to the duration you select in the ms (field in the Debugger window), for example you type 1000 in the ms field, and press the Step by Step button, then you go back to the game and you will see how the game continues but only during the 1000ms (1 second) that you have selected, you can do this as many times as you want while releasing new balls on the playfield (pressing the left mouse button), this will also help you to dump the animations of the game.

This way it will be easier to dump all the animations of the game. I attached some screenshots of the Visual Pinmame Debug mode.

In the next firmware version of the DMDMK66, already with the 128x16 screen, I will add an option to dump the animations playing on the real machine, but I still think that the most comfortable is to use Visual Pinmame, to dump all the animations of any supported game .

debug.jpg
ScreenHunter_116.jpg
ScreenHunter_111.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 15.00
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 275.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orange Park, FL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 26.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.00
$ 26.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 1764 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside