IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 47.
#1601 5 years ago

Hi, can anybody hook me up with a 5.01 ROM of Chad's code? I don't have a burner. Will be glad to compensate you for your time and have donated to Chad in the past. Will do so again.

Thanks,

--Matt

#1602 5 years ago

pm Meloyelo51 or I think he has a store matts basement arcade, a good guy to deal with

#1603 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

pm Meloyelo51 or I think he has a store matts basement arcade, a good guy to deal with

Can confirm. If you scroll through the ads at the bottom of this page you'll probably see his.

#1604 5 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hi, can anybody hook me up with a 5.01 ROM of Chad's code? I don't have a burner. Will be glad to compensate you for your time and have donated to Chad in the past. Will do so again.
Thanks,
--Matt

Matt's basement is where I got mine. Quick shipping. Great to work with.

#1605 5 years ago

Thanks much for the guidance!

#1606 5 years ago

Hope somebody can help me with a diverter question. In the past, my diverter worked perfectly. Recently moved and had the game in storage for a few months, and now, it seems like the diverter often times will actuate and close before the ball gets to it, sending it down the inlane as opposed to the shooter lane. For what it is worth, I am not seeing skill shot 3 light up now (mostly, just 2). I am sure something probably got jostled in the move. Any thoughts on how to remedy these issues is greatly appreciated.

#1607 5 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

and now, it seems like the diverter often times will actuate and close before the ball gets to it

If you've moved the machine maybe a closed switch elsewhere on the pf, so the diverter thinks the ball is back in play and closes? Check the diagnostics.

Quoted from DBLM:

For what it is worth, I am not seeing skill shot 3 light up now (mostly, just 2)

You rarely see skill shot 3 - Extra Ball (or 1 - Multiball) and then only on the last ball if you're scoring badly. I think chadh describes the rules somewhere in this thread.

#1608 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

If you've moved the machine maybe a closed switch elsewhere on the pf, so the diverter thinks the ball is back in play and closes? Check the diagnostics.

You rarely see skill shot 3 - Extra Ball (or 1 - Multiball) and then only on the last ball if you're scoring badly. I think chadh describes the rules somewhere in this thread.

Thanks much for your help, @astyy. I checked the switches and they are good but made some ramp adjustments and seeing some better results. Will keep working through it.

#1609 5 years ago

I tore down this Hook 4 years ago and was wondering since where the skill shot gate went. Well turned out it was in my spare parts box all this time and I found and re-attached it during my second teardown. Lucky! So Chad if you see this, yes I did in fact have the gate.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1610 5 years ago

Here’s a tip for routing the harnesses for the rope lights, windcoaster lamp, and windcoaster switch. This will prevent the cables from rubbing against the left side of the cabinet when raising and lowering the playfield.

C7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpegC7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpegC1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpegC1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpeg

And it’s almost done! The game is playable now. Just a few more tweaks to do.

54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg

#1611 5 years ago

Looking for a parts playfield or even just the playfield wiring.. whole project game would be nice too... let me know

#1612 5 years ago

I am looking for Hook cab decals or decal artwork to trade and a few outstanding plastic scans

I have many cab decals sets, plastics and translites to trade with in return, all high resolution

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I tore down this Hook 4 years ago and was wondering since where the skill shot gate went. Well turned out it was in my spare parts box all this time and I found and re-attached it during my second teardown. Lucky! So Chad if you see this, yes I did in fact have the gate.
[quoted image]

Hey crash do you know the size or part number for the bracket and gate.

#1614 5 years ago

No, sorry.

#1615 5 years ago

My friend went to play Hook at one of my locations yesterday. He said that the start button didn't work with a credit on the game, but after power cycling it, the button worked. This has happened before and power cycling it is something we just have done when needed. But I know that this has happened to casual players who have no idea what the "fix" is. What might be something to look at as I'm pretty sure the switch has been replaced in the last years, so hopefully it isn't failing already. Even if it were, that wouldn't explain the power cycling fixing the issue.

#1616 5 years ago

Are you sure the game's CPU isn't freezing, as in the light show on the playfield stops animating as well as the display? Does it coin up but just not start a game?

#1617 5 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Hey crash do you know the size or part number for the bracket and gate.

I have the pf out today (as am fitting art blades) so could take some pics for you - glad I did as the rail side of my gate had come out of the bracket (see first photo!), might explain how the odd ball made it back down under the skill shot ramp. The gate appears quite standard to me about 100mm wide attaching to the back post with double rubber rings and screwed into the top of the side rail, under the skill shot ramp just behind the 3 skill shot hole, you may still have the screw hole in the side rail. It's relatively inaccessible, even for photos you'd need to remove the skill shot ramp (at least) to get to it.

20181109_120516 (resized).jpg20181109_120516 (resized).jpg

20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg

20181109_122528 (resized).jpg20181109_122528 (resized).jpg

#1618 5 years ago

post pics with the art blades!

I think I might have an extra gate if you can't find one garret

#1619 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

I have the pf out today (as am fitting art blades) so could take some pics for you - glad I did as the rail side of my gate had come out of the bracket (see first photo!), might explain how the odd ball made it back down under the skill shot ramp. The gate appears quite standard to me about 100mm wide attaching to the back post with double rubber rings and screwed into the top of the side rail, under the skill shot ramp just behind the 3 skill shot hole, you may still have the screw hole in the side rail. It's relatively inaccessible, even for photos you'd need to remove the skill shot ramp (at least) to get to it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks crash i appreciate it. I have a really cool mod on the way in the mail. Gonna post pics when installed

#1620 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I think I might have an extra gate if you can't find one garret

I'll let you know. Greatly appreciated

#1621 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Are you sure the game's CPU isn't freezing, as in the light show on the playfield stops animating as well as the display? Does it coin up but just not start a game?

He said it registers coins, and after the power cycle the credit is still there.

#1622 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Here you go. They're the Retro Refurbs Map version. The insides of my cab were getting scraped by lifting the tight pf, these are pretty tough and I hope will abate that for a while.

20181112_121316 (resized).jpg20181112_121316 (resized).jpg20181112_121519 (resized).jpg20181112_121519 (resized).jpg20181112_122154 (resized).jpg20181112_122154 (resized).jpg

#1623 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

He said it registers coins, and after the power cycle the credit is still there.

Ok, I would test the switch with several presses in a switch test and see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can, try jumping the leads for the switch together with a wire and see if it’s a mechanical issue with the switch.

1 week later
#1624 5 years ago

I tried the new code ROMs today and the GI came on and the game said “Hook” at least once. The display never came on though. I know the chips were in the correct spot and orientation. Anyone have this happen to provide some guidance?

#1625 5 years ago

Check your 5v power coming from the power supply board using the 5v test point and ground. What does your multimeter show for voltage here?

#1626 5 years ago

You may have bent a pin going in or disconnected a wire when changing the dmd. Try your old roms and see if it works again.

#1627 5 years ago

I put the old rims in and it booted right up. I was very careful to not bend a leg, and when removed, the new ROMs were not mangled so I at least didn’t break anything. I’m guessing that I have a display ROM issue at this point on the new chip.

#1628 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Here you go. They're the Retro Refurbs Map version. The insides of my cab were getting scraped by lifting the tight pf, these are pretty tough and I hope will abate that for a while.]

looks nice , I have wondered if one could not just use some appropriately patterned wallpaper or similar and save some money as compared to " art blades"

your pirate town structure looks like it have lost most of its paint, just like mine, I am planning on repainting mine with testor paint and brush as I have no airbrush, will let you know how it comes out

#1629 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I put the old rims in and it booted right up. I was very careful to not bend a leg, and when removed, the new ROMs were not mangled so I at least didn’t break anything. I’m guessing that I have a display ROM issue at this point on the new chip.

I'd give it one more shot in case it wasn't seated properly. If it doesnt work re-burn or ask to exchange it.

#1630 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

your pirate town structure looks like it have lost most of its paint, just like mine,

Not sure what you mean here's some closer photos - all machines I've seen have been like this Take care messing with this part, very hard to find a replacement these days.

20181122_143914 (resized).jpg20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg20181122_143937 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1631 5 years ago

Hey everyone, any ideas how to prevent the Playfield from Sliding back down the cab when lifting it up? Or am i missing a Part ?

#1632 5 years ago

Pull the playfield out a little more than try and pivot it vertically. Once it's at a certain angle it will just rest on the playfield rails instead of sliding back.

#1633 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Not sure what you mean here's some closer photos - all machines I've seen have been like this Take care messing with this part, very hard to find a replacement these days.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

thanks for the additional pics, the added pics show quite a bit more color , mine is pretty much all white except for has a red roof in the middle section, looking at pics in the gallery such as crash 1359.jpg all sections have color , do you think that is the original look or was it redone?

pirate town (resized).jpgpirate town (resized).jpg
#1634 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:thanks for the additional pics, the added pics show quite a bit more color , mine is pretty much all white except for has a red roof in the middle section, looking at pics in the gallery such as crash 1359.jpg all sections have color , do you think that is the original look or was it redone?
[quoted image]

I have an extra NOS one and it looks like this:

1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg
#1635 5 years ago
Quoted from zFabi:

Hey everyone, any ideas how to prevent the Playfield from Sliding back down the cab when lifting it up? Or am i missing a Part ?

I found this useful, the hook and chain was missing from mine initially, and I sourced a hook from another Hook. Also, make sure the rails are firmly attached to the cab, mine were loose making lifting the pf unstable. The other thing I like is that the cable loom is long enough that you can lift the pf right out (blinking heavy!) and lean it against the cab even reaches to the front without unplugging anything.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1636 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

do you think that is the original look or was it redone?

I reckon the pirate towns were painted from the inside by hand so all look different. The roof on mine is grey/blue your seems to be the same colour as the walls. The Skulls too, I like the fact they all look unique.

#1637 5 years ago

I have an extra NOS one and it looks like this:
l
that's a great picture of a pristine one ! looks like they were all airbrushed individually with 4 colors , the darkest areas are just a heavier coat of the dark brown ?

#1638 5 years ago

That was my initial thought as well. I had a hard time finding a picture of an original one to compare. Still looks comparable to the one currently in my machine.

1 week later
#1639 5 years ago

Just set my personal high score (with the chadh code) of 188,714,640

#1640 5 years ago

Hey Chad, I don't know if this happened with the factory software but whenever there is a switch closed on the playfield during the "playfield status" screen, the below appears. I would expect this to be normal as the game's way of telling you about a stuck switch. But this also displays when there is a drop target down, which is normal until the next bank reset. It always shows switch 00 with label "switch test," which doesn't exist. Not all switches trigger this when pressed on this screen, any of the 3 the trough and shooter lane switches do not. I was wondering if this was intentional.

6F3B7DA6-D5CF-4414-A7E4-62291A6ED0F5 (resized).jpeg6F3B7DA6-D5CF-4414-A7E4-62291A6ED0F5 (resized).jpeg

Also, occasionally it will take my game about 3 or 4 seconds after the ball has drained to end the ball. The ball is detected and is kicked back into the trough, and I don't see any switch errors or unusual switches open or closed during active switch test.

I'm still running v5.00, and intend to update to 5.01 soon.

#1641 5 years ago

I replaced the much overdue drop targets. New decals as well!

31A199B6-6AF4-4572-9540-BF40B212AA46 (resized).jpeg31A199B6-6AF4-4572-9540-BF40B212AA46 (resized).jpeg86A12AAC-5A04-424F-9669-5E4C8323C1AB (resized).jpeg86A12AAC-5A04-424F-9669-5E4C8323C1AB (resized).jpegF5944689-6BB8-4340-A929-797A26DC7D1C (resized).jpegF5944689-6BB8-4340-A929-797A26DC7D1C (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1642 5 years ago

Hi everyone...i bought Hook back in 1996 and i still have it...my family and i love this game and i probably wont ever get rid of it...right now im in the middle of tearing down the play field and cleaning...replacing rubber and upgrading lights to led...a basic overhaul....so i plan on buying bulk lights from comet and not get a led kit...the problem is i dont know how many 44 and 555 bulbs to buy i dont want to end up paying to much for lights and having a bunch left over so if you know how many of each i need please let me know...i dont plan on replacing flashers...im getting frosted non ghosting lights...thanks guys.... by the way I have attached a pic of a first ball score I wrote down on a piece of paper 20 years ago and kept it in the cabinet of Hook you can tell how old it is by the yellowed paper it's written on and also my high score for a full game is 457 million I don't have the exact number because my machine is ripped apart and I can't turn it on right now so when game is done i will take a pic of high score and post it... just thought I would share that with you guys also attached a couple of pics of the state my machine is in right now and how dirty it is LOL thanks again for any info you can give me on the LED lights

20181225_233123 (resized).jpg20181225_233123 (resized).jpg20181225_232830 (resized).jpg20181225_232830 (resized).jpg20181225_233059 (resized).jpg20181225_233059 (resized).jpg20181225_232839 (resized).jpg20181225_232839 (resized).jpg
#1643 5 years ago
Quoted from Michiganguy:

Hi everyone...i bought Hook back in 1996 and i still have it...my family and i love this game and i probably wont ever get rid of it...right now im in the middle of tearing down the play field and cleaning...replacing rubber and upgrading lights to led...a basic overhaul....so i plan on buying bulk lights from comet and not get a led kit...the problem is i dont know how many 44 and 555 bulbs to buy i dont want to end up paying to much for lights and having a bunch left over so if you know how many of each i need please let me know...i dont plan on replacing flashers...im getting frosted non ghosting lights...thanks guys.... by the way I have attached a pic of a first ball score I wrote down on a piece of paper 20 years ago and kept it in the cabinet of Hook you can tell how old it is by the yellowed paper it's written on and also my high score for a full game is 457 million I don't have the exact number because my machine is ripped apart and I can't turn it on right now so when game is done i will take a pic of high score and post it... just thought I would share that with you guys also attached a couple of pics of the state my machine is in right now and how dirty it is LOL thanks again for any info you can give me on the LED lights
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My Hook was fully shopped and gone through recently...and this machine is a real beauty. If you are able, i would recommend adding a few playfield LED lamps to brighten it up. It really pops!

#1644 5 years ago

I would strongly suggest going with Titan silicone rings instead of normal rubber rings. They last much longer and are much easier to clean.

#1645 5 years ago

Cool thanks guys

#1646 5 years ago

No problem!

#1647 5 years ago

Hey fellow Hook owners. I need your help. I’m working on a PBR order and as you already know part numbers are needed there. I have the Hook manual and the part number for this bracket is not in my manual. I thought it was 515-5351-00 but that’s for the right scoop kick out bracket. I’m wondering if anyone has the correct part number for this bracket? Also looking for the kicker arm assy shown in the top of the first picture. Part numbers greatly appreciated.

25AA35FC-B492-4E51-A19F-FC4AF7C728A3 (resized).jpeg25AA35FC-B492-4E51-A19F-FC4AF7C728A3 (resized).jpegB963BAEA-8936-407A-9452-99A5356B6AD4 (resized).jpegB963BAEA-8936-407A-9452-99A5356B6AD4 (resized).jpegF21C2002-0A8D-4C3C-88CD-D826D1D70A22 (resized).jpegF21C2002-0A8D-4C3C-88CD-D826D1D70A22 (resized).jpeg

#1648 5 years ago

Im thinking of putting new cabinet decals on my Hook. Anybody know a paint to match the red to paint the cabinet prior to decal install? Thanks

#1649 5 years ago

just finishing off clearcoating my worn "stealthcoat" hook and would really like a DE logo shooter rod for my hook if anyone can help , cheers and hook on

#1650 5 years ago
Quoted from doodlesdaddy:

Im thinking of putting new cabinet decals on my Hook. Anybody know a paint to match the red to paint the cabinet prior to decal install? Thanks

I am no help on the paint matching but the cabinet decals I have seen( ebay from Russia $200), look like they cover the whole cabinet sides and would not need any red paint matching. Do you have decals of just the artwork? if yes where did you get them from? thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/33?hl=alistaircg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.