IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 47.
#1501 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Hey Hook club, mikonos custom apron cards with V5 rules arrived today. I'm really pleased with them, I went for the photo paper which is glossy and bright, Fast delivery (to UK anyway) and well packaged. Recommended and worth the wait

Thanks so much, astyy, for your comment and photos!

Best regards

#1502 5 years ago

Can somebody with an original topper let me know how far it's mounted back from the front/top of the backbox. The top of my backbox has no screw holes for it making me think one wasn't fitted originally, strange as I assumed it would have been included with the machine when new.

Thanks.

#1503 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Can somebody with an original topper let me know how far it's mounted back from the front/top of the backbox. The top of my backbox has no screw holes for it making me think one wasn't fitted originally, strange as I assumed it would have been included with the machine when new.
Thanks.

2 1/2 inches back feom face of back box to center and 9 1/2 inches from side edge of back box to center
X marks the spot

#1504 5 years ago

ok so i went a little crazy with the toys and the lights , replaced all the bulbs underneath the palyfeild and bavkbow with frosted smds and most of the flashers to 8 smds, added a few lights here and there to illuminate the toys and added a ball trough light and spotlights to lighten the lower playfield, not that fond of the spotlights but the art work is so nice when lighted i will live for them for now, maybe think up some crows nest rigging for them or something....

I did watch the movie not the worst i have ever seen but some of the call outs make a lot more sense now. criteria for choosing toys was should be reasonably high quality, look good and be cheap! cake toppers are a wonderful thing! the toys are a mish mosh of disney peter pan and general pirate figures. I use to make fun of a neighbor who was a train guy and he would get all excited about little mods to his layout that he would spend hours working on like a light inside the train depot building, sheesh!! Now i am that guy but it is cool because its pinball!

hook playfield 002 (resized).jpghook playfield 002 (resized).jpglondon 546 (resized).jpglondon 546 (resized).jpglondon 547 (resized).jpglondon 547 (resized).jpglondon 549 (resized).jpglondon 549 (resized).jpglondon 551 (resized).jpglondon 551 (resized).jpglondon 552 (resized).jpglondon 552 (resized).jpglondon 555 (resized).jpglondon 555 (resized).jpglondon 557 (resized).jpglondon 557 (resized).jpg
#1505 5 years ago

Awesome work I played my hook last night. Wonderful pin with the new ChadH code

#1506 5 years ago

thanks hawkeye, agree the new code adds a lot, had a good game the other night , on multiball got the windcoaster up to 15 k and hit it 4 times in a row , ball flying up the other ramp and in the skull and scoop....game groaning and yelling at me " jackpot!!! ...bangarang!!! lights flashing off and on all over the place, I almost had a seizure@@@@!!!!, when it was all over 225 mil a lot of fun , of course I can tell you about what it would have been if only.... but I won't you know the drill! , still looking into making a decal , thanks again for your help

#1507 5 years ago

I was having my best game recently, unfortunately mid multiball jackpots the coin door swung open disrupting my zone in

On 5.0.1 I'm still noticing loss of pirate town awards when two drops are hit simultaneously

#1508 5 years ago

Finally beat Chad's default!

IMG_0898 (resized).jpgIMG_0898 (resized).jpg
#1509 5 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

Finally beat Chad's default!

Great guns ChriX - is yours on 3 or 5 ball setting? Since I switched mine to 3 I struggle to hit the lower scores so don't rack that up on my machine when you're at Pinfest please

#1510 5 years ago

Congratulations chrisx!!,any particular strategy you use?

#1511 5 years ago

For the olden code, there is an entertaining podcast describing a scoring strategy, and guess what, it's not shoot the Windcoaster all day long;
https://ia601307.us.archive.org/24/items/BGEP33HOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK/BG-EP33-HOOOOOOOOOKKKKKK.mp3

Would be good to discuss the new strategy for the modern Hook 5 "balanced scoring" regime.

#1512 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

ok so i went a little crazy with the toys and the lights , replaced all the bulbs underneath the palyfeild and bavkbow with frosted smds and most of the flashers to 8 smds, added a few lights here and there to illuminate the toys and added a ball trough light and spotlights to lighten the lower playfield, not that fond of the spotlights but the art work is so nice when lighted i will live for them for now, maybe think up some crows nest rigging for them or something....
I did watch the movie not the worst i have ever seen but some of the call outs make a lot more sense now. criteria for choosing toys was should be reasonably high quality, look good and be cheap! cake toppers are a wonderful thing! the toys are a mish mosh of disney peter pan and general pirate figures. I use to make fun of a neighbor who was a train guy and he would get all excited about little mods to his layout that he would spend hours working on like a light inside the train depot building, sheesh!! Now i am that guy but it is cool because its pinball!

Where did you get those toys? I like them.

#1513 5 years ago

EBay and amazon ,search on peter pan cake toppers,set of 6 Disney's was 15$ ,if I remember, other ones were under pirate figurines

Attached with jj special pinball toy glue otherwise known as amazing goop,good stuff sets up quick and flexible and easily removable,pretty strong too the captain hook gets nailed all the time when the ball hops on a full plunge but still standing

#1514 5 years ago

Another option I've seen fitted on a machine are the Hook Movie Action Figures but they're a strange likeness

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1515 5 years ago

Any one have a picture of the original pop center pop bumper plastic? All I have is a red standard translucent pop bumper cap and with the new green LED kit it looks kinda odd. Anyone have any ideas for a replacement or cool mod? I'd like to maybe do a cool feature there if I can't find the original tree plastics.

#1516 5 years ago
Quoted from RebootMac:

Any one have a picture of the original pop center pop bumper plastic?

Check out Crash shop photos https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/hook/gallery/shopout and the topic gallery for this thread.
The centre bumper has two stacked tree plastics with spacers, a member on here vbobrusev was making repros

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1517 5 years ago

Ok so last night on the way to major high score 140+ on first ball! then machine starts acting weird a coil firing randomly? somewhere , brick second ball, on third plunge to skill shot and SLAM TILT , machine shuts off, score gone !

pulled glass and lifted playfield , no obvious issue I could see, when upper skill shot switch 1 activates get slam tilt

they are both on the same row of the switch matrix how do I proceed? thanks

#1518 5 years ago

In switch test when you activate either of those switches what switch shows on the screen (DMD)? Check the diodes on both of those switches and every other switch in that row to make sure none of them have an issue.

Quoted from pinballjj:

Ok so last night on the way to major high score 140+ on first ball! then machine starts acting weird a coil firing randomly? somewhere , brick second ball, on third plunge to skill shot and SLAM TILT , machine shuts off, score gone !
pulled glass and lifted playfield , no obvious issue I could see, when upper skill shot switch 1 activates get slam tilt
they are both on the same row of the switch matrix how do I proceed? thanks

#1519 5 years ago

All of my controlled lamps that are on the Blue/red line (CN6 connector ,third position from left ) stay on constantly . Anyone know what might be a common cause for this ? tested the diodes and resistors on the board near there but I am not sure which ones are tied to the Blue /red wire , maybe I am missing something ?

WIN_20180712_13_36_41_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20180712_13_36_41_Pro (resized).jpg
#1520 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

All of my controlled lamps that are on the Blue/red line (CN6 connector ,third position from left ) stay on constantly . Anyone know what might be a common cause for this ? tested the diodes and resistors on the board near there but I am not sure which ones are tied to the Blue /red wire , maybe I am missing something ?

So if you have all lamps in Row 6 (Red-Blu) stuck on it's permanently grounded. There is a t/shooting procedure in this article - "Row of Lamps Always On"
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#row-always-on

Not the whole answer but you'll then know if it's a pf short or board problem.

#1521 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

In switch test when you activate either of those switches what switch shows on the screen (DMD)? Check the diodes on both of those switches and every other switch in that row to make sure none of them have an issue.

thanks for the reply, just the the one that is activated shows on the switch edge test,

thanks for your help I put a post up in the data east club section ( in retrospec the best place would be in the "tech" section?) with some particulars and questions if anyone can help , thanks

#1522 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

So if you have all lamps in Row 6 (Red-Blu) stuck on it's permanently grounded. There is a t/shooting procedure in this article - "Row of Lamps Always On"
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#row-always-on
Not the whole answer but you'll then know if it's a pf short or board problem.

Thank you , I am pretty sure I have it tracked down to the TIP 122 on the board . But I currently do not have any to replace it .

#1523 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Thank you , I am pretty sure I have it tracked down to the TIP 122 on the board . But I currently do not have any to replace it .

Use a TIP102 if you have one.

#1524 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Use a TIP102 if you have one.

Thank you ,that is my plan . I am getting some TIP102s from pinballlife , but unfortunately I do not have any right now .

#1525 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Thank you ,that is my plan . I am getting some TIP102s from pinballlife , but unfortunately I do not have any right now .

Wow. No nearby pinheads nearby to get a couple from?

#1526 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

You do know that the diode has to be disconnected from the circuit to properly test right

#1527 5 years ago

Go into single lamp test mode and mark down all lamps that turn on another lamp. The pattern should end up making a square or rectangle on the matrix but just the corners. Whatever light that is missing to complete the pattern is the problem light.

Screenshot_20180715-201504 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180715-201504 (resized).jpg
#1528 5 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Go into single lamp test mode and mark down all lamps that turn on another lamp. The pattern should end up making a square or rectangle on the matrix but just the corners. Whatever light that is missing to complete the pattern is the problem light.

I am 99 % sure it is the transistor on the board . Only reason I am not 100 % is because I did not have a replacement . Game is on it's way to Connecticut now , my brother will replace it when he gets it home .

#1529 5 years ago

I picked this game up for my brother and his family . Unfortunately the controlled lamp problem came up while he was here to pick it up . Here is a link to the thread I started on here , I did a few things to make the game a little nicer for them .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hook-up#post-4486025

#1530 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I am 99 % sure it is the transistor on the board

With the whole row stuck on I'm sure you're right it's the row transistor. The procedure above is good for individual lamps lighting when they shouldn't.

Btw, great work on the Hook shop and loving the wooden effect metal work (that DE metalwork sure does rust). I missed your thread as the game wasn't linked, have done it now

#1531 5 years ago

posted my trouble shooting issues in tech so it has a separate thread , look like board issue, thanks for all the input and feel free to provide your thoughts

#1532 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

posted my trouble shooting issues in tech so it has a separate thread , look like board issue, thanks for all the input and feel free to provide your thoughts

Can you post a link to your thread? It would be easier to search for others in the future with similar issues.

#1534 5 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I picked this game up for my brother and his family . Unfortunately the controlled lamp problem came up while he was here to pick it up . Here is a link to the thread I started on here , I did a few things to make the game a little nicer for them .
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hook-up#post-4486025

Very impressive work trilogy!!!

1 week later
#1535 5 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with balls getting stuck at the back of the right side of the game from a hard ball plunge or errand bounce?

#1536 5 years ago

Oops wrong thread. I am a dummy.

#1537 5 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Has anyone had an issue with balls getting stuck at the back of the right side of the game from a hard ball plunge or errand bounce?

I've not heard of that, something may be missing or wrong, a photo would help.

The only common hang-up I'm aware of is at the pin to the back/left of the skull which needs adjusting out sometimes.

#1538 5 years ago

ok so back playing hook after satisfying trouble shooting episodes, replaced bad transistor and then had a coil sleeve bind , and had another coil wire need resoldering. not sure fixing is as fun as playing but have learned a bunch

Notice when 3rd pirate target is dropped the ramp value will ramp up without hitting another pirate target, anyone else have this? code issue or another troubleshooting journey?

#1539 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

ok so back playing hook after satisfying trouble shooting episodes, replaced bad transistor and then had a coil sleeve bind , and had another coil wire need resoldering. not sure fixing is as fun as playing but have learned a bunch
Notice when 3rd pirate target is dropped the ramp value will ramp up without hitting another pirate target, anyone else have this? code issue or another troubleshooting journey?

Mine was the same when I got it, everything constantly breaking. Had the same drop target issue too, a good cleaning of the leaf switches sorted that out. My wife was upset when it was fixed since she couldn't sneak those extra millions in anymore.

#1540 5 years ago

On the latest 5.01 code I think there's still a problem that pirate town specials aren't awarded if 2 targets drop simultaneously. Anybody else seeing this?

#1541 5 years ago

I replaced every coil sleeve on mine. I had to replace the coils for the flippers and rebuild the flippers. I spent over 40 hours of repairing and replacing broken parts. Now it plays trouble free. I thought this pin would be a hit in our arcade but it's not getting much playing time.

#1542 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I replaced every coil sleeve on mine. I had to replace the coils for the flippers and rebuild the flippers. I spent over 40 hours of repairing and replacing broken parts. Now it plays trouble free. I thought this pin would be a hit in our arcade but it's not getting much playing time.

the last few nights everytime I play I am under the hood , last night bumper coil wire resoldered, and all the switches on column 4 out, q52 transistor( one I just replaced ) blown, this time I think on the other 2 legs from the first time, figured it might be an issue upstream on the board and will investigate , bit the bullet and put in the rottendog board and all good, had to put in old rom for now bent a leg on the rom chip when removing and of course it broke while bending it back, fragile suckers . to make your hook a hit in the arcade just need to put some toys on the playfield , the more the better, you will be hauling away bags of quarters in shopping carts!

'Mine was the same when I got it, everything constantly breaking. Had the same drop target issue too, a good cleaning of the leaf switches sorted that out. My wife was upset when it was fixed since she couldn't sneak those extra millions in anymore. "

will look into the leaf switches, I was thinking it might be related to the blown column but will see.

My 15 yo daughter has been taking advantage of the drop target issue and her inherited pinball skills . 310 million the other night , she does not nudge or cradle just pure flow! damn kids!!!

have not noticed the 2 drop target issue but will look for it when I get the new rom code back in,

#1543 5 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

On the latest 5.01 code I think there's still a problem that pirate town specials aren't awarded if 2 targets drop simultaneously. Anybody else seeing this?

Same here. Ive noticed it since the code was done.

#1544 5 years ago

Hey Hook mates. Am setting up my Hook for a show in a few weeks and thinking how tall it sits. It has 30.5" black ribbed legs and the top of the front of the machine is then over 40" including levelers. I know that DE moved to 30.5" black ribbed at some stage but I'm not sure definitively when (some say at GnR) and what should be on Hook.

Was wondering what legs you guys have on Hook?

Thanks.

#1545 5 years ago

ok so doing everybody's favorite activity SWITCH MATRIX TROUBLESHOOTING, I suspect ball trough switch culprit, as right bumper firing causes upper vuk and slingshots to fire, with no balls In trough switch edge test read normal for right bumper with balls in trough get multiple switches reading for r bumper ,

confused by switch matrix chart it lists a left and right EOS but the flippers never had eos switches ?

#1546 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

confused by switch matrix chart it lists a left and right EOS but the flippers never had eos switches ?

You're right, if you look on Inkochnitos tech chart he lists switch 15 and 16 as the flipper switches. I don't know why EOS switches would be on the matrix even if Hook had them as they work locally to the flipper mech.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdf

In return, can you tell me what length the legs are on your Hook?

#1547 5 years ago

Looking at the switches involved - Right flipper 16 defo suspect. I had a problem with the SS flipper board on my Hook and another symptom was that it wizzed through the diagnostics options as though I was pressing the flipper button.

#1548 5 years ago

Asty My legs are 28.2 inche(excluding the threaded foot) for the fronts and 30.5 for the back legs

#1549 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Asty My legs are 28.2 inche(excluding the threaded foot) for the fronts and 30.5 for the back legs

Thanks, I haven't heard or considered mismatched legs as standard.

#1550 5 years ago

would not be surprised if mine had mongrel legs , anyone else have leg length measurements ?

still flailing at the switch matrix issue, missed that 15 -16 are actually flipper switches , , on edge switch test r flipper does not register, will look into tonight

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/31?hl=garretswinning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.