IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 47.
#101 8 years ago

Can someone measure the size of the back glass please? Thanx in advance.

#102 8 years ago

If anyone is looking to get rid of a Hook machine, let me know. I want one as my first pin.

#103 8 years ago

I have a Hook in NJ I`d sell...

P1010004.JPGP1010004.JPG

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

I have a Hook in NJ I`d sell

Can you measure the backglass please?

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

I have a Hook in NJ I`d sell...
P1010004.JPG

PM sent

#106 8 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with the 20 mil skull not scoring right?

#107 8 years ago

I have two yellow lights near the VUK. When are those supposed to turn on? Seems they never come on...

Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Has anyone had an issue with the 20 mil skull not scoring right?

Prob a switch issue in the subway. Mine seems to score ok.

2 weeks later
#108 8 years ago

I was tempted to sell and leave the club, but a play test when getting it ready for sale has seemingly brought me back in.

I have a an issue that hopefully someone can suggest a solution for: the scoop on the right kicks the ball out at crazy angles, sometimes weak, sometimes strong enough. From underneath, there's certainly some play in the hole that holds the kicker arm and unfortunately, the way this was built, I'm not sure how to compensate for the slop short of replacing the "kick big mounting bracket sub assembly" (which provides the stud that goes through the kicker arm pivot hole). http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-63unu/mgfr9h3/products/2360/images/2381/515-5521-00__75162.1396386755.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Any advice out there?

Thanks!

#109 8 years ago

Wow, my Hook was messed up!

I discovered that my left ramp "made" switch hadn't been registering and I don't know for how long. Looks like the switch wire had come lose from the actual switch and previous owner tried to fix it with heat shrink tubing ...and only the heat shrink. When I got under the windcoaster ramp I found both GI bulbs were burned out and the rubber on that side was disgusting. Took the opportunity to clean the area.

I also tracked down a bunch of lamp issues including a bad column driver and two different GI problems (one was a bad contact on a prior plug repair, the other seems to be a bad solder joint up on the p/s --that one I still haven't done yet).

Man, Hook is Fun when the game is actually working. Shouldn't be a shock that not having the payout for the left ramp really cripples the game, and yet I'm still somehow surprised at how much more fun it is now.

Keep on hating Peter Pan, everybody!

#110 8 years ago

Competitive Ramp Mod

What about adding a mod to the coaster ramp to either a) tighten the hole to make the shot more difficult or b) create a gate tied to another score to basically only open the ramp as a combo ?

I hate to see this game bashed because the coaster ramp gets spammed all the time. I have a lot more fun playing when I just avoid the coaster and try for all the other shots.

#111 8 years ago

Yes you can Spam the ramp but there are a lot more lucrative ways to make points like lighting clock shots or jackpots. So I'm not sure why people hate on hook when they love shadow and you can do the same thing

#112 8 years ago

I picked up a small bag of plastics for my Hook at Pintastic. Which Skillshot plastic is correct?

Thanks!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#113 8 years ago

I have the circle one as my mutliball. But the dagger looks cool too!

#114 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I have the circle one as my mutliball. But the dagger looks cool too!

Thanks. I'll probably go with the dagger since my circle one is cracked.

Also, it pays to replace your PPB J5 header and pins. Now: GI is back
image.jpgimage.jpg

#115 8 years ago

I just got my first machine a few weeks ago, and its a Hook! I love it! However, whenever I get a high scores, all of the top scores reset.
Anyone have any ideas why?

#116 8 years ago

Glad you found one!!!! You'll love it! Not sure why the reset though...

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

I just got my first machine a few weeks ago, and its a Hook! I love it! However, whenever I get a high scores, all of the top scores reset.
Anyone have any ideas why?

Can you elaborate?

#118 8 years ago

All the 'top' scores reset? Or all the 'free game" thresholds? I believe Hook used progressive high score thresholds so that if you suck, the high score to beat was lower, but as you beat it, it climbed up.

#119 8 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

All the 'top' scores reset? Or all the 'free game" thresholds? I believe Hook used progressive high score thresholds so that if you suck, the high score to beat was lower, but as you beat it, it climbed up.

All of the top scores reset.

#120 8 years ago

I'm shopping my Hook and noticed some great artwork hidden under the Wincoaster, Skull and other stuff!

Seriously considering reworking things to show this stuff off....

IMG_1388.JPGIMG_1388.JPG

#121 8 years ago
Quoted from KCMike:

I'm shopping my Hook and noticed some great artwork hidden under the Wincoaster, Skull and other stuff!
Seriously considering reworking things to show this stuff off....
IMG_1388.JPG

I agree completely about the art on the playfield. I was fixing an issue with my windcoaster and pulled off the "book" plastic in the back left of the playfield. Behind it is that reflective mirror and a really nice reflected view of the VUK shot and the art leading too. I didn't put that plastic back on.

Another example is how the rocks plastic under the skull looks nice, but is almost completely obscured by the wireform mount point. Haven't figured out how to expose that yet.

Keep us posted!!

#122 8 years ago

I have joined the Hook Club!
Its a working routed game so it needs a major shop job.IMAG3233.jpgIMAG3233.jpg

#123 8 years ago

anyone have any custom free play cards for hook? haven't found much if anything that looks decent!

#124 8 years ago

Looks like your white/yellow GI wire to the upper playfield region is out. I'd check J5 pin 6 on the PPB. It's connected to both the playfield and the coin door. Mine was out too. Really shoddy wiring, burnt connector, and cold solder joints galore.

I reflowed the solder on my power supply board, changed the J5 connector on the PPB, and built a new wiring harness using the box style trifurcon pins. Here it is half way done (J5 pins replaced, plug not yet replaced). Look how hideous that wiring was! I think someone "repaired" that before me, too.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Quoted from Elevatorman:

I have joined the Hook Club!
Its a working routed game so it needs a major shop job.IMAG3233.jpg

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from slow1000rider03:

anyone have any custom free play cards for hook? haven't found much if anything that looks decent!

I do indeed. I need to resize them because when I made them I formatted them for William's dimensions. Now that you asked about them it gives me a reason to fix them. Should have that out.......by this weekend.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I do indeed. I need to resize them because when I made them I formatted them for William's dimensions. Now that you asked about them it gives me a reason to fix them. Should have that out.......by this weekend.

that would be spectacular! look forward to seeing them.

#127 8 years ago

I'll still need resizing but this is what they look like. You can send them to Walgreens and have them printed on 4x6 and then just cut the black off and you're golden.

Hook-rules-v1print.jpgHook-rules-v1print.jpg

Hook-Info-v1print.jpgHook-Info-v1print.jpg

#128 8 years ago

Here you go. Hi res and ready to print to 4x6 photo paper....just cut along the red line and you are set

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81ubmkyxmta59sy/Hook-4x6print.zip?dl=0

I also have Black out, Gorgar, Time Warp, F-14, Swords of Fury, and soon JM!!

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I was
I have a an issue that hopefully someone can suggest a solution for: the scoop on the right kicks the ball out at crazy angles, sometimes weak, sometimes strong enough. From underneath, there's certainly some play in the hole that holds the kicker arm and unfortunately, the way this was built, I'm not sure how to compensate for the slop short of replacing the "kick big mounting bracket sub assembly" (which provides the stud that goes through the kicker arm pivot hole).

I finally fixed this issue, thought is post here in case anyone else ever needs this info: I slightly moved the kicker arm mount so it rotated ever so slightly, as it looked like the side of the kicker arm might have been binding against at another piece of metal down there. I also replaced the coil sleeve. Once it was ejecting freely it was smacking the ball into the wireform above it because the scoop angle had clearly gotten out of wack. Some mild bending and now it's totally fixed.

I also found a slew more blown GI bulbs under the plastics in the upper left section of the playfield (under the windcoaster). Man those are a pain to change but so worth doing.

I also put some yellow flipper rubber on instead of the super bands I had on there. You don't realize how differently they play until you take them off.

1 week later
#130 8 years ago

I am thinking about repro-ing the ramps. I want to gauge some the level on interest before trying to offer it to others.

thanks

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I am thinking about repro-ing the ramps. I want to gauge some the level on interest before trying to offer it to others.
thanks

would depend on price but I'm interested

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I'd likely be interested as well, especially the right side. Any chance of the skill shot area being redone too? Mine is cracked.

#133 8 years ago

BANGERANGGG!!!!

#134 8 years ago

Right side ramp would be great.

#135 8 years ago

i am starting with the easier one to make a mold of to start with. i hope to eventually make the skill shot ramp. i am researching different materials to make the mold. i have seen people use bondo and not sure thats the best materials. i will keep everyone updated on the process.

#136 8 years ago

On my machine, I have a spot for a center post but none is installed. Is a center post standard on Hook? I just noticed a bunch of Visual Pinball tables of Hook have it in place.

Thanks

#137 8 years ago

I would be interested in a right ramp and a skill shot ramp.

#138 8 years ago

I'd be in for ramps as well.

#139 8 years ago

I don't have a center post. But with weak shots going SDTM on the wind coaster.... Not terrible

#140 8 years ago

+1 on right ramp here. I'm sure nationwide there is a high demand as well.

#141 8 years ago

Right ramp as well.

#142 8 years ago

ramp update. i found the material to make the correct mold. nice having a mold company in town. last step is how to rivet the flap to the ramp. i have no idea what kind of rivet it is. it isnt the type of rivet u can buy from lowes. info on this would help.

also what do u guys feel is a fair price for the ramp.

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

ramp update. i found the material to make the correct mold. nice having a mold company in town. last step is how to rivet the flap to the ramp. i have no idea what kind of rivet it is. it isnt the type of rivet u can buy from lowes. info on this would help.

also what do u guys feel is a fair price for the ramp.

Unfortunately, I'm not of much help in the rivet field, perhaps a more generic thread post posing the question would be in order? I'm sure someone on PS knows the answer, but is equally as likely they aren't paying attention to the Hook thread

On the fair price, that is a tough one, what is the cost to produce it? How much time and effort have you put in, that should be factored in as well. Lastly, the price and title should be considered, for example, if someone buys the machine for $1200, they aren't likely going to be excited to drop $400 on ramps.

#144 8 years ago

I have successfully used a pop rivet gun on my JM.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NPT74C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1

I found the steel rivets to give you the cleanest results.

As for price I have done many mods and the reality is you have to look at cost to you, time, and where you are willing to give back to the community. I try to be generous but fair to myself. While I agree that a high price for ramps is a hard sell for a cheaper game its far worst to burn out by spending months on a project only to end up in the hole.

After many of these projects and very small margins my wife and I agreed I need a break from mods for a while. That said...as soon as I'm rested I am right back at it!!!

Good luck and I am happy to help!

#145 8 years ago

well the original rams have a blind rivet. i might end up doing a couple versions. 1 where it is just the ramp with no flaps etc. then another with the flap on there and with the adhesive for the owner to transfer their decals onto the ramp itself. if the ramps come out perfect that will be great. but i also dont want to get raked over the coals if it is less than perfect. i love hook and hate that there isnt ramps for it. I will do my best but i am not a ramp maker by trade.

#146 8 years ago

there is a roumor that the ramp from "Monday night football" pinball is the same as the right one from Hook.
I could get my hands on a "MNF" Ramp and .. no .. they are differnet. you would have to cut away some inches on the left side, drill some holes, and much more.

i will post some pictures this weekend.

#147 8 years ago

As promised , here are some pictures comparing the upper right HOOK ramp vs the one from Monday Night Football. (MNF)

Sorry for the red colored pictures, i took them underneath a red sunsha de..

One some pictures, i stacked the 2 ramps , the upper one ist the HOOK ramp

Differences are marked green!

As you can see, the MNF ramp is a some inches longer on the left side and has an additional switch attached.So : NO , there are NOT compatible
The "center" of the Hook ramp is open while the MNF ramp is closed here.
There a some minor differences at the flash lamp and the uppermost edges.

The MNF ramp is better protected. The metal guide on the lower lane is missing at the hook ramp . ( why the hell have they did this? )

So , without using a dremel ,cutting lots of material and doing some riveting , the MNF ramp will not fit into Hook.

Hookvsmnf3.jpgHookvsmnf3.jpg

Hookvsmnf4.jpgHookvsmnf4.jpg

Hookvsmnf2.jpgHookvsmnf2.jpg

Hookvsmnf5.jpgHookvsmnf5.jpg

Hookvsmnf6.jpgHookvsmnf6.jpg

Hookvsmnf7.jpgHookvsmnf7.jpg

#148 8 years ago

Are you sure the protectors are stock on the MNF ramp? I suppose they are but seeing the regular bolt holding it on makes me wonder.

Also, in the SoF ramps thread, it was discovered that the length of the metal protectors used were different on prototypes and early run machines relative to later ones.

#149 8 years ago

I was told that the MNF ramp is NOS. The protector is attached with 2 normal rivets and the 2 bolts you mentioneds . These ar no normal bolts the heads are plain like heads of the normally used rivets.
i see no signs that this protector was attached afterwards.

I don´t own a MNF, i bought this ramp because it was told that these ramps are almost identical.
i have tried to make a useful drawing of this protector and hopefully can make one for my hook ramp.
or better , find someone to make one ..

MNF_Front.jpgMNF_Front.jpg

HOOK_Front.jpgHOOK_Front.jpg

#150 8 years ago

thanks for the pics the 2 side metal protectors could be easy to fabricate but the metal piece on the end that connects the plastic ramp to the wire frame might be a little trickier.

The rivet seem to be pressed on and are different than using pop rivets. there is a press for sale to do it, but that will drive up the price of making the ramp.

I will have to order some other tools to see if it is strong enough to flare the back side of the rivet.

It would be a lot easier if 100 people wanted the ramp. i could easily keep the price down and not worry about silly decisions like this but for 5 people who said they were interested and probably only 2 that are serious i have to be conscience and realistic about purchases.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.