IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 47.
#1351 6 years ago

Sorry if this has been covered. Does Chad’s code fix the crock time bug?

Apparently if you build it up to over 100 million it resets. So if you’re up to 105 million, you only get 5 million.

#1352 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry if this has been covered. Does Chad’s code fix the crock time bug?
Apparently if you build it up to over 100 million it resets. So if you’re up to 105 million, you only get 5 million.

Yep... that bug and many more.. including:

Fixed bug so now Croc Clock is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.
Fixed bug so now Fast Scoring is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.
Fixed bug so now Bangarang is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.
Fixed bug so now Jackpot is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.

#1353 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Yep... that bug and many more.. including:
Fixed bug so now Croc Clock is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.
Fixed bug so now Fast Scoring is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.
Fixed bug so now Bangarang is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.
Fixed bug so now Jackpot is prevented from rolling over from 99 to 0 Million.

Nice! Those bugs are serious. Haha

#1354 6 years ago

If you play like me you never knew they were there. What's your GC?

#1355 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If you play like me you never knew they were there. What's your GC?

Moved the game onto my buddy’s house so only had it for like a month. But I got like 350 million I think.

#1356 6 years ago

If you were getting croc time over 100k i figured you'd be in the billions!

#1357 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

If you were getting croc time over 100k i figured you'd be in the billions!

I wasn’t getting that. I thought I was, but the bugs were killing me. This game doesn’t have chads code on it.

#1358 6 years ago

Happy to announce that I have released the Hook Version 5.01 patch file.

If you are already running Version 5.00, then you ONLY need to update your CPU ROM. The Display ROM is unchanged and remains Version 5.00 in this new release.

Here is the starting point to get the patch:
http://www.pinballcode.com/

If you are interested in reading about all the changes in Version 5.01, you can go here:
http://www.pinballcode.com/hook501

Hope you enjoy it!

#1359 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Happy to announce that I have released the Hook Version 5.01 patch file.

Awesome! The news we've been waiting for!
For those who can't burn it yourself PM me.

HAPPY HOOK DAY!
In honor of the new code, I have created a Hook owners facebook page...come join!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/HookPinballOwners/

#1360 6 years ago

Thank you Chad!!!

#1361 6 years ago

Thank you for updating the Hook club. My wife is excited to play Hook. I'm still doing some repairs. I will post an update on the repairs made.

#1362 6 years ago

Awesome, will install this in our game!

#1363 6 years ago

Awesome! Someone coach me on this, I’m still new! Still running v4. Sending PM meloyelo!

#1364 6 years ago

Thanks for the info n pics astyy ! And sorry for the late response just got back from the honeymoon. I was able to take care of it before the wedding

#1365 6 years ago

Was going to join the club this weekend at TPF, but these two did not look salvageable. Still keeping my eye out there. 04B85B5C-A2CC-49A3-AEBA-30993C8B8A9E (resized).jpeg04B85B5C-A2CC-49A3-AEBA-30993C8B8A9E (resized).jpeg

#1366 6 years ago

What was the asking price for them? I need some plastic parts. Sad to see them in that condition

#1367 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

What was the asking price for them? I need some plastic parts. Sad to see them in that condition

Spotted the cabinets at a distance, but once I inspected, it seemed like it was going to be a major “arts and crafts” project. Never got the price on these two side by side.

#1368 6 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Spotted the cabinets at a distance, but once I inspected, it seemed like it was going to be a major “arts and crafts” project. Never got the price on these two side by side.

let me know if you need cabinet decals

#1369 6 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

100 to 400 was the asking price on his cabinets

#1370 6 years ago

Just got confirmation from Meloyelo51 that my upgraded CPU ROM has shipped. A+ communication and service. If you’re unable to burn them yourself, Matt is the way to go.
Thanks again to Chad H for the update! Will be headed over to make a donation to him.

#1371 6 years ago

Great news of the 5.01 update and I count 22 fixes/improvements at that! Was wondering ChadH is Hook your "biggest" patched game to date? It was somewhat of a blank and frayed canvas as a starting point.

#1372 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Great news of the 5.01 update and I count 22 fixes/improvements at that! Was wondering chadh is Hook your "biggest" patched game to date? It was somewhat of a blank and frayed canvas as a starting point.

Of the games I've worked on, Hook definitely had the most bugs... and the most overall changes. I just wish all the people who historically have a bad opinion about Hook would try out the new code. I think it would change many minds. I'd love to see the new code played with the new Tournament Mode turned on in a major tournament with the best players.

#1373 6 years ago

I just installed it, thanks Meloyelo51 for the chips and huge thanks to ChadH for the amazing work on this!

I enjoyed it in the 3 weeks I’ve owned it, and still enjoy it now with the new code! I just gotta figure out the new scoring strategy. Haha

Good stuff!

#1374 6 years ago

We rarely discuss playing Hook in this club. I'm such a rubbish player I've never started Bangerang mode, have owned the machine a few years now and only play 3-ball

#1375 6 years ago

I usually only go for the scoop if the 20 mil skull is lit. Been to bangarang mode exactly once and I didn't think it seemed worth it to go for specifically vs. 3 ball / jackpots. Something I want to play with more is trying to get the clock bonus way up there. Ordering a flipper rebuild kit for hook today and that should be the last thing needed to make it bangarang AF. What color flipper rubbers look best?

#1376 6 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Was going to join the club this weekend at TPF, but these two did not look salvageable. Still keeping my eye out there.

I’ve rescued one in the same, if not worse condition and glad I did. Turned out ok I think.

340FCBD4-0F25-456D-92E3-4E0CDB2FD749 (resized).jpeg340FCBD4-0F25-456D-92E3-4E0CDB2FD749 (resized).jpeg
52D887DE-B7D6-45AC-8C1C-30B97ECBE39F (resized).jpeg52D887DE-B7D6-45AC-8C1C-30B97ECBE39F (resized).jpeg
19D2734C-44D0-4EBB-B9AD-71334BDA17C3 (resized).jpeg19D2734C-44D0-4EBB-B9AD-71334BDA17C3 (resized).jpeg
36DB8BED-59F9-446A-BF96-8487AC11BD48 (resized).jpeg36DB8BED-59F9-446A-BF96-8487AC11BD48 (resized).jpeg
A7C7D838-7703-4571-B9CB-E250C168DE76 (resized).jpegA7C7D838-7703-4571-B9CB-E250C168DE76 (resized).jpeg
44E647F5-FD87-4DD3-BDCC-4CF1C90D0C0D (resized).jpeg44E647F5-FD87-4DD3-BDCC-4CF1C90D0C0D (resized).jpeg
0222456B-C33E-4581-BCFD-859F25DD31E3 (resized).jpeg0222456B-C33E-4581-BCFD-859F25DD31E3 (resized).jpeg

#1377 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I usually only go for the scoop if the 20 mil skull is lit. Been to bangarang mode exactly once and I didn't think it seemed worth it to go for specifically vs. 3 ball / jackpots. Something I want to play with more is trying to get the clock bonus way up there. Ordering a flipper rebuild kit for hook today and that should be the last thing needed to make it bangarang AF. What color flipper rubbers look best?

I personally use yellow flippers with red super bands

20180224_212619 (resized).jpg20180224_212619 (resized).jpg

#1378 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I just wish all the people who historically have a bad opinion about Hook would try out the new code.

Same attitude in the UK. We have a major new pinball event starting this year and I will be taking my Hook to educate them in the way of Chad 5. Also, my machine will look quite different as I have the alternate translite and hopefully side arts blades too by then, so it will attract attention, look and play tippity top.

#1379 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What color flipper rubbers look best?

Black superbands on yellow DE bats for me - but I think lots of colours work on Hook. Also I replaced the stumpy black posts with blue silicon that I cut myself from custom engine tubing, still haven't made my mind up if I like the half post (left sling) vs full post (right sling), hence they're different until I decide.

20180323_150713 (resized).jpg20180323_150713 (resized).jpg

#1380 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Of the games I've worked on, Hook definitely had the most bugs... and the most overall changes. I just wish all the people who historically have a bad opinion about Hook would try out the new code. I think it would change many minds. I'd love to see the new code played with the new Tournament Mode turned on in a major tournament with the best players.

Love the new code ChadH! I would also like to see Hook used in tournaments now. I will be using it in a future tournament here in Winnipeg in a month or so. I have two questions for you. Would you ever consider submitting this wonderful code you made for Hook to Stern and see if they would make it official like they did with the Star Wars code a few years ago? And second question, is Back to the Future on the radar at all to revisit the code from you?

Great work!

#1381 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Would you ever consider submitting this wonderful code you made for Hook to Stern and see if they would make it official like they did with the Star Wars code a few years ago?

These patches will remain unofficial.

Quoted from Bay78:

And second question, is Back to the Future on the radar at all to revisit the code from you?

They are all on my radar. But currently inside my radar is DE Star Trek.

#1382 6 years ago

Just got done playing with the 5.1 code. So far so good. I'm really liking the shoot again flashing at beginning of turn

#1383 6 years ago

Hey guys, I’m loving the new 5.01 code! I’ve started trying to track down my display reset issue, and I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what might the fix be? Randomly during gameplay the display will reset and then show it as ball 1 even if it’s ball 2 or 3 until it drains then it corrects itself. I looked at the connector and header pins for the dmd (.156) and looked good but idc connector pins looked tarnished so I replaced the connector and header pins hoping that would fix my problem but it did not. I’ve tried researching this issue and haven’t had much luck. Only thing I found is on pinwiki they said someone with a Star Trek has to repin the transformer gi connector that was causing reset issues but the connector looked burned and mine looks fine. Anyway I wanted to see what some thoughts are on the issue and if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks in advance

#1384 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

if anyone else has had this issue?

Yer my DMD has this same issue, for 1 player it's not too bad just need to remember which ball you're on (and you notice that FREE changes to Credits 0 which is useful if you didn't spot it crash), but it spoils a multiplayer game as it zeros all the other scores until the next ball starts.

I've made several improvements to the power side which has reduced the number of resets but the problem persists. Funny you mention the transformer connector as my display went completely garbled once and I fixed it by re-connecting the chunky in-line Molex connector that comes out of the transformer in the base of the cab - is that the one you mean? Ideally I'd like to swap in a known good DMD to see if it's the DMD or machine at fault but I don't have access to one.

#1385 6 years ago

5.01 should fix it if it's the software. It was a bug in 5.0. You sure you have the right version? Does it reset if you scroll through instant info?

#1386 6 years ago

Question, do either of you guys have an X-Pin aftermarket power supply? Some of those are known to cause issues with the display at certain times during gameplay due to a weak 12v power output.

#1387 6 years ago

Hey all, I noticed there’s a pinsound board for Hook, but I don’t see a video or any place where I can hear what it sounds like. Anyone have one of these? Worth it? I can think of a ton of call-outs from the movie I’d want to add to it. Haha

#1388 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Yer my DMD has this same issue, for 1 player it's not too bad just need to remember which ball you're on (and you notice that FREE changes to Credits 0 which is useful if you didn't spot it crash), but it spoils a multiplayer game as it zeros all the other scores until the next ball starts.
I've made several improvements to the power side which has reduced the number of resets but the problem persists. Funny you mention the transformer connector as my display went completely garbled once and I fixed it by re-connecting the chunky in-line Molex connector that comes out of the transformer in the base of the cab - is that the one you mean? Ideally I'd like to swap in a known good DMD to see if it's the DMD or machine at fault but I don't have access to one.

Yes that chunky molex connector that has the yellow wires coming into and out of it. Apparently someone on pinwiki fixed a display reset issue by re pinning this connector but theirs was obviously burned by mine isn't but I did buy the parts listed on pinwiki.com to replace it and I guess that's next. And to answer the question by Crash no I'm using the original power supply and original DMD which still looks perfect (when it's not resetting lol) . Maybe I'll post a video of what it does on youtube.com so everyone can see how weird it is. But sounds like astyy and I have the same DMD issue's. Mine does the same weird display things on multiplayer games and also works better on a one player game. So for me it's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. And I'm running the newest 5.01 code and no the display doesn't reset scrolling through instant info.

#1389 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

5.01 should fix it if it's the software.

I'm still running 5.0 but my machine doesn't exhibit the drop targets/instant info DMD reset software bug (unfortunately)

Quoted from Crash:

Question, do either of you guys have an X-Pin aftermarket power supply?

Original DE boards here too apart from Rottendog MPU

Quoted from Bay78:

Apparently someone on pinwiki fixed a display reset issue by re pinning this connector but theirs was obviously burned by mine isn't but I did buy the parts listed on pinwiki.com to replace it and I guess that's next.

Can you post a link to that please?

#1390 6 years ago

First of all you will need to trace down where the 5v power supply going to the display is failing. The 5v drops below a certain threshold and causes the display to reset. Check the 5v input on the power connector going to the display. If it's low, trace the harness back to where it connects to the power supply and locate at which points you are getting voltage loss. It will most likely involve replacing connectors, as these corrode and get loose over time affecting the connection.

#1391 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

First of all you will need to trace down where the 5v power supply going to the display is failing. The 5v drops below a certain threshold and causes the display to reset. Check the 5v input on the power connector going to the display. If it's low, trace the harness back to where it connects to the power supply and locate at which points you are getting voltage loss. It will most likely involve replacing connectors, as these corrode and get loose over time affecting the connection.

Is just putting a secondary power supply a solution? Lots of people doing that on Data East machines for other problems (noisy sound, etc). Cheap and pretty easy from what I’ve seen.

#1392 6 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Yes that chunky molex connector that has the yellow wires coming into and out of it.

I see the one you mean now 4-way, it was hidden behind the goody box but mine looks like new. I was actually referring to re-seating the larger rectangular one (12-way?) right next to it.

Quoted from Crash:

First of all you will need to trace down where the 5v power supply going to the display is failing.

I set my DMM up connected across the back of the DMD J2 pin 1 5V and pin2 GND. Whilst playing the machine I seem to get a very steady 5.03-5.04 VDC no waivering whist mechs are activated etc. I think the DMD resets are mainly after playing an animation if that helps. I have fitted new ribbon cable and re-pinned most connectors and headers in the power chain.

#1393 6 years ago

One thing I habe noticed in the last play is during pirate town special all 4 drop targets were up and I hit two of them at the same time and it did not register it. It happens here and there. But what's odd and don't make sense to me is during regualer play when I hit a target it always 100% registers and advances my windcoaster value. So why in pirate town does it sometimes not see it when hit

#1394 6 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

So why in pirate town does it sometimes not see it when hit

Are you running 5.01 as one of the fixes is ...
"Adjusted logic on Drop Targets to better guarantee that they will register during Pirate Town."

#1395 6 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hey all, I noticed there’s a pinsound board for Hook, but I don’t see a video or any place where I can hear what it sounds like. Anyone have one of these? Worth it? I can think of a ton of call-outs from the movie I’d want to add to it. Haha

Get a pinsound board. Totally worth it! Next to chadh's code its the second best thing you can do, changes the whole feel and vibe of the game!

#1396 6 years ago

What is y'alls high score so far on hook running the 5.01 code. I got 298 n some change last night

#1397 6 years ago

I managed to get 200-250M quite a few times on the 5.00 code with my limited skills. It'll be interesting to see how that changes with the new code, chip is on the way in the mail now!

#1398 6 years ago

strobey streamed 3 hours of Hook 5.01 on his Twitch channel earlier this week and scored in that ballpark too, it's available to watch on his channel here :-
https://www.twitch.tv/pinball_live

#1399 5 years ago

Had my first go with the new code tonight, very nice. Subtle improvements, my favorite being the reduced flashing especially right at the start of multiball where it's nice to actually see the ball instead of being blinded. I'm sure the relay will last longer now too with the reduced usage. The flashing shoot again is killer as well. Think I still missed a pirate town special even though I hit a few drop targets but wasn't paying much attention. Even managed to knock out a 150M game too so my name's back up on the top scores list. Fantastic work Chad.

#1400 5 years ago

Hook was streamed on Pinball LIVE again yesterday - available to watch here https://www.twitch.tv/pinball_live

A question to Hook owners. I noticed watching the stream that when the Windcoaster ramp isn't made the ball rolls back to the left sling/flipper area and is saved, my machine invariably drains sdtm in this rollback case. I can likely adjust the Windcoaster entrance to be similar but was interested to know how other Hooks behave, I was of the opinion the drain was the penalty of not making the Windcoaster properly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
Plastics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus
Lighting
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
There are 2,312 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/28?hl=garretswinning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.