Topic Stats

• 1,639 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 434 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg
pirate town (resized).jpg
20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg
20181112_122154 (resized).jpg
20181112_121519 (resized).jpg
20181112_121316 (resized).jpg
20181109_122528 (resized).jpg
20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg
20181109_120516 (resized).jpg
54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg
C7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpeg
C1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 1639 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 33.
#1251 10 months ago
Quoted from Bay78:

How do you know if it’s a power issue causing your display to reset? And also wondering if other people have noticed those issues with 2+ player games ?

Yes I do and I think a few others. On a 1-player game the DMD resets and FREEPLAY resets to "Credits 0" and the ball in play to Ball 1 which then corrects at the start of the next ball. The problems are more pronounced on a 2+ player game.

#1252 10 months ago

If it happens after holding down the left flipper and having "instant info" run though and restart at "left ramp value" it's the code issue.

Are my drop targets mis-adjusted or does it sometimes not give you the pirate ship awards with only 1 drop target?

#1253 10 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

does it sometimes not give you the pirate ship awards with only 1 drop target?

Now you mention it I'm sure that happens on mine sometimes.

#1254 10 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It's a bit complicated. Ready for this???
Assuming Adjustment 4 (Game Awards) is NOT set to NONE and you are NOT in Tournament Mode...
and if you are on your last ball (usually Ball 3 but this depends on how many Balls you've set your game to have)...
and depending on if the percentage of Extra Balls the game has collected in its history is 20% or less...
then shooting the UNLIT Right Scoop and collecting Mystery Award will also light the Extra Ball insert at the Skull.

Hey Chad. Could you maybe remove the less than 20% requirement for this to happen at least? I dont think anyone will ever see it on their game otherwise. Would be cool if it was set to happen for any ball and randomly awarded with the Mystery Award.

#1255 10 months ago
Quoted from astyy:

It happens on occasion with mine. I haven't figured out if its a specific target acting up on mine or what the deal is.

#1256 10 months ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Question to Chad: I am one of the very few owning a prototype Hook with the spinning disc in the head. The motor was controlled by solenoid 16 (Q23) but with the production firmware, this signal was dropped. In order to enable the motor it was hardwired and turned continiously in the past. As a result, the motor was busted when I bought the machine. Is it possible to enable this motor control again in the firmware? Just turn on when a game is started and off in attract mode (or once in a while in that condition )?

I'm sorry but I cannot add this without having physical access to a game that has this feature. Plus I would want to have the ability to turn this ON/OFF via Adjustments and I am out of free space in the ROM. It sound like you have a pretty nice workaround by triggering it with the flippers.

#1257 10 months ago

Here's an issue I'm hoping someone has had with theirs and figured it out already. The 'Big Kick' auto launch under the skill shots fires once randomly a few seconds after firing a ball properly. Usually by the time it hits the pop bumpers or the flippers the first time. It's mostly annoying but the OCD in me would like to sort it out. The machine has always done it since I got it, and doesn't seem to be linked to anything else firing. I'm betting it's a cold solder joint somewhere in the switch matrix or driver circuit. I've re flowed solder on all the connector pins and relays on all the boards but didn't do the chips or anything else. That coil did burn up on me and I had to replace the TIP36C that drove it, plus I changed the two pre driver transistors while I had the board out so they're good and the coil diode is good. All the switches and diodes around the skill shot are new as well. Otherwise the game works perfectly. I hate intermittent gremlins like this.

Just a note, the two washers I added to the scoop kick out arm to correct the kick out randomness are working really well. Balls come out at slightly different angles but hit the flipper every time.

I have also had the single drop target not scoring when the pirate town is lit. PS, pirate town looks awesome when you add a few leds tied to the GI inside. Same thing if you light the scoop holes with red ones.

IMG_0746 (resized).jpg

IMG_0745 (resized).jpg

#1258 10 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Are my drop targets mis-adjusted or does it sometimes not give you the pirate ship awards with only 1 drop target?

Quoted from astyy:

Quoted from bobwiley:

It happens on occasion with mine. I haven't figured out if its a specific target acting up on mine or what the deal is.

While it is possible that your Drop Target may not fully be physically registering... version 5.01 of the code fixes a bug that would occasionally cause a Drop Target during Pirate Town to not register, so hopefully you guys see an improvement.

#1259 10 months ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Thank you soooo much for doing this. Is it possible to have a setting in 5.01 to allow you to disable you suck multiball but still have the possibility of getting an extra ball? The tournament mode is excellent and I love it. I would probably keep it on there all the time and will definitely use it for tournaments I host. For everyday use I'd love to also have the option of getting an extra ball.

I am pretty sure that even in v.5.00, you can turn on Tournament Mode (Adjustment 39) and then afterwards you can go and set Game Awards (Adjustment 4) to Extra Ball and Limit Extra Balls (Adjustment 6) to 3. Tournament Mode should remain on which will remove the randomness from Pirate Switch Count, Pirate Award, Mystery Award and remove Pity Multiball offering on Ball 3... but Extra Balls should still be offered. Give it a try. I am pretty sure this will work.

#1260 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am pretty sure that even in v.5.00, you can turn on Tournament Mode (Adjustment 39) and then afterwards you can go and set Game Awards (Adjustment 4) to Extra Ball and Limit Extra Balls (Adjustment 6) to 3. Tournament Mode should remain on which will remove the randomness from Pirate Switch Count, Pirate Award, Mystery Award and remove Pity Multiball offering on Ball 3... but Extra Balls should still be offered. Give it a try. I am pretty sure this will work.

I will try this out. Thank you very much for your response. Will burn new sound roms and check those adjustments today and report back. Thanks ChadH great work. Also I read that the display resetting issue is not with the code it's a display power issue. So if I rebuild the power supply would that resolve this issue? Or is it a power issue that is just always present on all Hook's?

#1261 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I'm sorry but I cannot add this without having physical access to a game that has this feature. Plus I would want to have the ability to turn this ON/OFF via Adjustments and I am out of free space in the ROM. It sound like you have a pretty nice workaround by triggering it with the flippers.

I understand Chad, thanks for answering. Indeed I can live with the workaround like it is now and it is doing the job. Keep up the good work and my respect to your achievements. Thank you for that.

#1262 9 months ago

Again...

If it happens during instant info or after hitting drop targets it's a code issue.

#1263 9 months ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Basically i was hoping to make Pirate Town not random, but 80 switches seems a bit tough too (we all suck over here!). Would be nice if we could see how many switches we've hit as we go along! Although that would just be another kick in the groin to see when you're having a crappy ball!

Tournament Mode in 5.01 will reduce the Pirate Town static switch hit requirement from 80 switches down to to 40 switches. This will let you see this award more often.

#1264 9 months ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Or is it a power issue that is just always present on all Hook's?

Not present in all Hooks. If your display is resetting (outside of the Drop Target or Instant Info known issue with v.5.00 which will be fixed in v.5.01) then it would be a good idea to check the power chain that starts with the power supply and ends at the display. Check the connectors, cables, capacitors, etc for that chain.

#1265 9 months ago

Figured out the lamp matrix problem and it's the bulb inside the start button. But to complete this I need to see a picture of how the start button looks under there playfield for the wiring. I need to see what the other end of the diode is suppose to be going. Whoever can lift there playfield to snap a picture I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

#1266 9 months ago

15190732819111914738782 (resized).jpg

#1267 9 months ago

Here is a photo of the start button on my Hook. I just installed a new one one mine.

20180206_191748 (resized).jpg

#1268 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Here is a photo of the start button on my Hook. I just installed a new one one mine.

I see you don't have a diode for your bulb. It is in the lamp matrix and I thought everything in it had to have the diode. The start button would be the only lamp in matrix without a diode?. So my question to you is do all your lights work properly for the controlled lighting.

#1269 9 months ago

I do have a diode for the bulb. Here is some better photos.

20180219_192237 (resized).jpg

20180219_192246 (resized).jpg

#1270 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I do have a diode for the bulb. Here is some better photos.

You actually don't have a diode for the bulb also. That's the diode for the switch. The bulb tabs are the two on the outsides of the switch mechanism. It's two different components. But I guess that confirms for me that it should not have a diode on it. I will test it out with the diode off. Thanks

#1271 9 months ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

It is in the lamp matrix and I thought everything in it had to have the diode.

Correct, hawkeyexx is missing the blocking diode for the lamp. Here is a pic from mine to help re-wire, the Red/Violet needs moving and the diode appears reversed.

Good spot btw this should sort your weird lighting behaviour. I hope that helps guys.
(Looking at my pic I'm surprised my light works there's hardly any solder on that tab!)

20180220_110117 (resized).jpg

#1272 9 months ago

My game with no issues and the light works. The pin had the wrong start button installed and I replaced it. Do I need to correct the wiring?

Thanks

#1273 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Do I need to correct the wiring?

The theory, as I understand it is that without a blocking diode Row 7 (Red/Violet) is now shorted to Column 4 (Yellow/Black). So what you'll see in Test is that whenever a lamp is lit in any other column the same lamp in Column 4 will light, as described here;
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting#double-lamps

Best approach is to have a play in the diagnostics lamp tests. If the above theory is correct, then in single lamp tests you'll have two lamps on for every lamp and in lamp drive (column) test you'll see the lamps in Column 4 permanently lit (*I think*)

#1274 9 months ago
Quoted from astyy:

Correct, hawkeyexx is missing the blocking diode for the lamp. Here is a pic from mine to help re-wire, the Red/Violet needs moving and the diode appears reversed.
Good spot btw this should sort your weird lighting behaviour. I hope that helps guys.
(Looking at my pic I'm surprised my light works there's hardly any solder on that tab!)

Thanks for the picture. Already fixed it and working great. It was driving me crazy.

#1275 9 months ago

hawkeyexx my lights used be going crazy and so glad the problem is resolved. I ended up finding it by removing one bulb at a time in the entire lamp matrix until I found the source of the problem. And of course the start button was the last I checked. Feels like a thousand pounds has been lifted off my shoulders lol. Time to drink and play hook Dilly Dilly!

#1276 9 months ago

hawkeyexx my lights used be going crazy and so glad the problem is resolved. I ended up finding it by removing one bulb at a time in the entire lamp matrix until I found the source of the problem. And of course the start button was the last I checked. Feels like a thousand pounds has been lifted off my shoulders lol. Time to drink and play hook Dilly Dilly!

Glad I could help. I'm sure someone hijacked the wiring on my pin because other areas are hijacked. I will install the correct diode in the pin.

Thanks

#1277 9 months ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Glad I could help. I'm sure someone hijacked the wiring on my pin because other areas are hijacked. I will install the correct diode in the pin.
Thanks

No problem. It's the same as all the others 1N4001 just incase

#1278 9 months ago

Just put in the speaker led lights on hook and I must say it's pretty f ing awesome in my opinion. What y'all think. You can't fade, flash, slow down or create your own with the colors. Color pallet is endless

20180222_200826 (resized).jpg

20180222_200144 (resized).jpg

#1279 9 months ago

Looking excellent! Which color do you like most that it does?

#1280 9 months ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Looking excellent! Which color do you like most that it does?

Thanks.
I like leaving it on the auto setting. It will cycle through all colors and all effects. Hard to pick just one color. The under the cab led lights are seperate from the speaker lights so I can mix match those as well

#1281 9 months ago

The one matching the DMD looks pretty sweet

#1282 9 months ago

Thanks. Leaning towards white I'll post a pic later think it looks clean. Replaced the coil for the slingshot and it made a big difference. Also put the premium pinball in from Marco, talk about playing a lot smoother the difference was significant, I recommend everyone doing it

#1283 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Tournament Mode in 5.01 will reduce the Pirate Town static switch hit requirement from 80 switches down to to 40 switches. This will let you see this award more often.

Thanks ChadH!

I've been thinking a lot about extra balls and settings. What if when you set the machine for the maximum allowed extra balls it would enable more frequency of the right scoop allowing the extra ball to light at the skull during Mystery Award as one of the randim options without taking the machine's % of free balls into account or the ball# you're on? I currently have my machine set for 3 extra balls max, but rarely see the extra ball as a skill shot, nor as a Pirate Town award and never lit at the skull. Maybe setting it to the max would allow all the above to happen and wouldn't mess with machines on roures or people who care about making sure awards are limited or difficult.

#1284 9 months ago

Is the sensitivity of the pop bumpers adjustable? It seems quite often the ball will roll up there and graze the pop bumbper rings but not trigger them. Also, is there any harm in increasing the power to the coils via the adjustment settings? Just curious as i was thinking of trying it for the heck of it, but didn't want to damage anything.

High Score to date on the machine is like 158 million with 3 extra balls and factory settings over here. What's ya'lls high scores with Chad's new code?

#1285 9 months ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Done! ✅ And exactly as you said it’s awesome. I’d does give you the chance for an extra ball with the ball 3 skill shot every time or at least for the games I played. Also I don’t know if it’s suppose to or not but The is no match at the end of the game during tournament mode. Is that the way it’s supposed to be? Thanks again

#1286 9 months ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Is the sensitivity of the pop bumpers adjustable?

Yes. You have to adjust/clean the switch that is under the playfield for each. Make the switch blade gap extremely close. That way when the ball just barely touches the pop bumper skirt, it will fire.

Never played the Chad code, but default settings extra balls off, my high is like 350 million. The stock high scores on data east are so hard to beat. 400 is the stock high score on the one I play.

#1287 9 months ago

I've had one game that was around 450, i think my next closest is around 350 but after that I rarely even get above 150. Lots of repeat multiballs and jackpots.

#1288 9 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I've had one game that was around 450, i think my next closest is around 350 but after that I rarely even get above 150. Lots of repeat multiballs and jackpots.

That and I try to jack up the clock millions as much as possible. Had it as high as 100 million before.

#1289 9 months ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Is the sensitivity of the pop bumpers adjustable? It seems quite often the ball will roll up there and graze the pop bumbper rings but not trigger them. Also, is there any harm in increasing the power to the coils via the adjustment settings? Just curious as i was thinking of trying it for the heck of it, but didn't want to damage anything.
High Score to date on the machine is like 158 million with 3 extra balls and factory settings over here. What's ya'lls high scores with Chad's new code?

Here's my highest score with the new code

20180128_122703 (resized).jpg

#1290 9 months ago

As far add the extra ball shots... I do see the skull shot for extra ball often as well ad the pirate town special. Just had it 3 times last night and hit the bangerang on hooks sleeve twice. I don't think the code or setting ms don't need to be touched

#1291 9 months ago

Can someone please tell me or show a pic of how the yellow flash lamp in the back right corner is wired up and where the wire is connected to. My flash lamp is completely missing. Want to put it in but don't knnow where it gets wired to

#1292 9 months ago

As far add the extra ball shots... I do see the skull shot for extra ball often as well ad the pirate town special. Just had it 3 times last night and hit the bangerang on hooks sleeve twice.

Just curious if you know what your settings are. Seems mine does 10 million for pirate town like 9 out of 10 times. Never see the skull extra ball. But no one here has ever gotten bangarang on hooks arm either here. Typically we only get the extra ball when we hit 80 million. Maybe there's a a different combo of adjustments i need to try...

#1293 9 months ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Also I don’t know if it’s suppose to or not but The is no match at the end of the game during tournament mode. Is that the way it’s supposed to be?

Tournament Mode sets Adjustment 4 (Game Awards) to NONE.

When this is set to NONE, then Match Sequence is not played at all. (Hook has no dedicated adjustment to turn off Match Sequence.)

However, while looking into this I found that if you set Adjustment 4 to EXTRA BALL then it will also not play the Match Sequence ever. I have just set this in v.5.01 so it WILL play Match Sequence if this is your setting.

Also, coming in v.5.01, if you set your Adjustment 4 to EXTRA BALL then the game will now play the Victory mode if you score past the Replay level (in addition to being granted an Extra Ball). Before this Victory mode would only play if your Adjustment 4 was set to Credit.

#1294 9 months ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Just curious if you know what your settings are. Seems mine does 10 million for pirate town like 9 out of 10 times. Never see the skull extra ball. But no one here has ever gotten bangarang on hooks arm either here. Typically we only get the extra ball when we hit 80 million. Maybe there's a a different combo of adjustments i need to try...

I focus on shooting for the skull none stop to light the sleeve. Rinse and repeat til completed to light bangerang. You need to constantly shoot for scoop on left flipper. On right flipper shoot for skull always so when the ball shoots out of the scoop you can catch it with the left flipper to get that shot in.

As far as my settings... whatever 5.0 was originally set to. Never made adjustments in settings

#1295 9 months ago

Can someone please tell me or show a pic of how the yellow flash lamp in the back right corner is wired up and where the wire is connected to. My flash lamp is completely missing. Want to put it in but don't knnow where it gets wired to

Sorry, i couldnt get a chance to take off the plastic. Wires come up from a hole in the plastic and playfield. Its looks like the artwork is a cloud or something. Its an orange wire and a black wire spotted with a purple stripe every couple of inches.

20180227_084916 (resized).jpg

#1296 9 months ago

Bangerang fellas, alternate Hook translite now installed on my machine courtesy of Retro Refurbs - I really must get those map sideblades to suit

20180227_153201_001 (resized).jpg

#1297 9 months ago
Quoted from astyy:

Bangerang fellas, alternate Hook translite now installed on my machine courtesy of Retro Refurbs - I really must get those map sideblades to suit

Really like the transmits. I wouldn't mind at all getting one. You have a link?

#1298 9 months ago

Really like the transmits. I wouldn't mind at all getting one. You have a link?

It's on the Retro Refurbs webshop now, this link should list everything for Hook
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/?s=hook&post_type=product

#1299 9 months ago

Better order it before they get a cease and desist from Smee's people!

#1300 9 months ago

I do really like the alternate translite however I just really have a hard time changing out the original even when the new one is nice and perhaps better and with proper original actors etc. I tend to just keep the original one in.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon, CT
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
£ 32.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 299.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1639 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside