IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 47.
#1101 6 years ago

Hey Chad,

You're spot on with what is happening with the missed skill shot. I agree with your analysis, I'm not bothered by it. I'd like to say its because I never miss a skill shot... =P

You were right about the windcoaster sound effect being separate from the pirate drop targets. It just seemed like it was shared during game play with the ramp switch and drop targets being so close in proximity when I was testing it out.

Hear are the folder locations where I don't know if/where these music files are played. If you could at least let me know if any of these aren't used that would be very helpful!

\music00003-hurry_up
\music00005-hurry_up_2
\music00016-jackpot_collected
\music00017-main_theme_fast
\music00245-relaunch
\music00246-hurry_up
\music00247-fast_clock_theme
\music00248-clock_theme
\music00249-clock_theme_hook
\music00250-fat_theme_clock_hook
\music00251-creepy_theme_2
\music00252-guitar_theme_clock
\music00253-bass_theme_clock

In a previous post, I mentioned:
Quoted from bobwiley:
4. The reminder call out to shoot the ball if you just let it sit in the lane for your first ball. If you could add like another 4 seconds before it comes on that would be nice.
Its located at \voice00155-female

and you replied

"Done deal."

Just to expand on it:

When you press start for the game,

the file "\voice00168-hook_is_back_2" plays.

and then after about 10 seconds the game will play "\voice00155-female" to remind the player to plunge the ball. if you could just make that delay 14 seconds before "\voice00155-female" only on the initial pressing of start that would be amazing! the delay for the other balls doesn't need to be changed, but if it affects the other balls too it's not that big of a deal. But for the first ball it would be great!

Thanks Chad!

#1102 6 years ago

Hi Score Settings

For those that haven't dug into the settings, if you change Pan's high score threshold to like a million, your machine will then keep the 6 highest scores. You don't have to change Smee, Ace or Tootles score thresholds. Thank goodness too, as you have to go up to 9,999,000,000 to get it to loop down to a low score!

#1103 6 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Hear are the folder locations where I don't know if/where these music files are played. If you could at least let me know if any of these aren't used that would be very helpful!

Well... all the ones you listed play music that is used. But it doesn't necessarily get called by the same number. I don't have complete notes but I do have these:

\music00247-fast_clock_theme (same as 00060) Shooting Upper Left VUK during Shoot Clocks after AM/PM)
\music00248-clock_theme (same as 00048) Skull
\music00249-clock_theme_hook (same as 00050) Fast Scoring & Shoot Ramp Now!
\music00250-fat_theme_clock_hook (same as 00052) Bangarang
\music00251-creepy_theme_2 (same as 00054) Croc Time
\music00252-guitar_theme_clock (same as 00056) Shoot Clocks after AM/PM
\music00253-bass_theme_clock (same as 00058) Pirates

So the game does not reference these music clips by the numbers you provided, instead they are referenced by the numbers I provided.

Quoted from bobwiley:

When you press start for the game,

the file "\voice00168-hook_is_back_2" plays.

and then after about 10 seconds the game will play "\voice00155-female" to remind the player to plunge the ball.

OK, technically speaking... when the ball is ejected into the Shooter Lane, there is currently an approximately 10 second timer that counts down and then the game says "Shoot it". Then the timer is reset to 30 seconds which counts down to again say "Shoot it". The timer is then reset to 30 seconds over and over again with the "Shoot it" happening each time. Are you asking me to extend the 10 second timer or the 30 second timer (or both)? I get the feeling that you are only concerned with the first time it says "Shoot it" in this sequence and you want this 10 seconds delayed to 14 or 15 seconds?

#1104 6 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Hi Score Settings
For those that haven't dug into the settings, if you change Pan's high score threshold to like a million, your machine will then keep the 6 highest scores. You don't have to change Smee, Ace or Tootles score thresholds. Thank goodness too, as you have to go up to 9,999,000,000 to get it to loop down to a low score!

If you hit the toggle switch next to the service switch, it will make the scores go up or down depending on the position of that toggle switch.

#1105 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Let me summarize what I think you are talking about:

1) you plunge ball into play.
2) ball drains before the Ball Save timer expires (default 10 seconds - reminder, this is now user adjustable)
3) ball is sent back to Shooter Lane
4) you plunge hard to send ball around the Right Ramp which triggers the switch there and spots AM or PM or starts Clock mode.

Thanks for investigating Chad, but I've noticed sometimes at Step 4) the divertor opens again and you can just keep repeating steps 3) & 4) over and over when it does it with it diverting back every time on an overshoot. I've seen this several times but not sure of the exact conditions as sometimes it does as you describe above. Perhaps this approach is intended to avoid the pro-tip.

Quoted from ChadH:

there is currently an approximately 10 second timer that counts down and then the game says "Shoot it"

I always thought that was saying "Brutus"

#1106 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

No sure why the is this area with holes drilled in it? Can someone please explain?

I'll help with any photos but I'm not sure where that is - back right corner? Mine (before shop) looks like this.

WP_20150524_12_08_32_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20150524_12_08_32_Pro (resized).jpg

#1107 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

I'll help with any photos but I'm not sure where that is - back right corner? Mine (before shop) looks like this.

Thank you for sharing......that does help.....My pin is missing all of those plastics and the ramp was damaged. I'm installing the new ramp this week and doing complete tear down of playfield. I will try to locate the missing parts.

#1108 6 years ago

I see now, your pics of behind the Rufio ramp, there's a similar circle on the lhs of the mirror which a plastic attaches.

A pinside member earlier in this thread was selling repro plastics if you search back.

#1109 6 years ago

hello fellow hook fans.my hook is acting up the flashers are not working anf the knocker is going off for no resaon.and the ball will not come out to start a game.absolutely love my hook and any help is greatly appreciated

#1110 6 years ago

and i also have a brand new nos windcoaster ramp if anyone needs

#1111 6 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

hello fellow hook fans.my hook is acting up the flashers are not working anf the knocker is going off for no resaon.and the ball will not come out to start a game.absolutely love my hook and any help is greatly appreciated

Sounds like a bad A/C relay on the driver board, or bad solder joints on the relay. Seen this exact issue and reflowing the solder on the relay fixed it.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1112 6 years ago

ok so if i resoldered it.it would fix the issue more than likely

#1113 6 years ago

Can’t say, it’s just one cause of the issue I have seen. Reflow the joints on the relay and try it again.

#1114 6 years ago

when i reflow.do i have to get all the old solder off first or just add solder to it.sorry im still new to this but getting better everyday. just finished my harlem globetrotters but its a older machine with less complex electronic parts.

#1115 6 years ago

It's a good idea to get out what you can of the old solder but if you don't have a wick or desoldering vacuum handy just adding some fresh solder hasn't failed me yet. I wish you were a tad closer I'd have an excuse to use my new hakko desoldering iron!

#1116 6 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

and i also have a brand new nos windcoaster ramp if anyone needs

I have been looking for a windcoaster for some time now. Is it still available and how much are you asking would love to replace the one I have it's cracked right at there the rails insert into it.

#1117 6 years ago

I currently have three lights that don't work. The Windcoaster Jackpot, Baseball Jackpot and Skill Shot #1 (top multiball). If i bypass the resisitor, they light up, but flash continuously, so I'm assuming its the resistors that are bad. I dropped the Skill Shot #1 resistor and can't seem to find it. The windcoaster resistor says "IN400 QTE" on it. Is it safe to assume they all use the same resistor?

I'm not seeing what type of resistor i'm supposed to replace these with in the manual...

Also, if i put an LED bulb in the socket, will it still work properly, or does it need the resistance of an incandescent to work?

2018-01-23 14.04.53 (resized).jpg2018-01-23 14.04.53 (resized).jpg

#1118 6 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Is it safe to assume they all use the same resistor?

Those will be diodes across the lamps typically 1N4004

#1119 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Those will be diodes across the lamps typically 1N4004

Thank you!

#1120 6 years ago

20180123_175815 (resized).jpg20180123_175815 (resized).jpg

#1121 6 years ago

20180123_175815 (resized).jpg20180123_175815 (resized).jpg

20180123_175834 (resized).jpg20180123_175834 (resized).jpg

#1122 6 years ago

So my hook has had the back glass broken at some point and replaced with a translite. Would someone care to give me a hand and tell me the measurements of the glass so I can go get one cut. I’d greatly appreciate it

#1123 6 years ago

hawkeyexx There's two round areas in the mirrored back part like in your picture. Both have little brass L brackets that the ramp edges rest on for support in my machine. The bracket tops are about flush with the tops of the circle cutouts. Here's a couple of crappy pics.

IMG_0705 (resized).jpgIMG_0705 (resized).jpg

IMG_0704 (resized).jpgIMG_0704 (resized).jpg

#1124 6 years ago
Quoted from KOAmps:

hawkeyexx There's two round areas in the mirrored back part like in your picture. Both have little brass L brackets that the ramp edges rest on for support in my machine. The bracket tops are about flush with the tops of the circle cutouts. Here's a couple of crappy pics.

Thank you for sharing the information.

#1125 6 years ago

Have an issue people: my ship lights (special, 10 million, extra ball) only work in the lamp test modes, during gameplay they don’t Light up. They work in all the lamp test modes, so I’m really confused. Please help

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1126 6 years ago

I checked my wiring for the lamp matrix and it's all right. I still have certain lights that stay locked on. Did some research and believe it's a bad transistor or two but dont know which one it is. If someone could tell me which one it is or if I'm wrong it would help tremendously and much appreciated. All lights listed are ones not working how they should bangerang, extra ball, shoot again and all 3 skill shots.

#1127 6 years ago

Pirate Town Award. Is it triggered by a specific shot? I know hitting the drop target gets you the award, and when not on tournement mode it randomly appears during ball three. Just curious if something triggers it in particular.

#1128 6 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

Have an issue people: my ship lights (special, 10 million, extra ball) only work in the lamp test modes, during gameplay they don’t Light up.

Are you sure as they rarely light? On Chads code I only see one of the Pirate Town(=ship) features light perhaps once or twice per game.

#1129 6 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

All lights listed are ones not working how they should bangerang, extra ball, shoot again and all 3 skill shots.

These days I go to our friend Inkochnito Tech Chart for Hook, this shows the drive transistors for the relevant row/column;
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Data_East_Hook_Tech_Chart.pdf

Your symptoms are a bit weird, I had stuck on CPU lamps and it was caused by incorrect components on a brand new Rotondog CPU, unlikely for you, in your case I'd work through Clays diagnosis to test the Row/Columns to verify if the fault is on the MPU or playfield;
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#lamp

#1130 6 years ago

Rottendog has some dodgy quality that's for sure.

#1131 6 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Pirate Town Award. Is it triggered by a specific shot? I know hitting the drop target gets you the award, and when not on tournement mode it randomly appears during ball three. Just curious if something triggers it in particular.

Pirate Town is only ever triggered on the last ball. At the start of the last ball, the game picks a random number between 8 and 80. Once the ball hits that many switches then Pirate Town will start. If you are in tournament mode then that number is always set to 80.

If you get an extra ball on your last ball then Pirate Town can happen again on the new "last ball".

#1132 6 years ago

Thank you for clarifying Pirate Town. I have never seen that pirate ship’s lights come on during gameplay (only during test modes and attract mode). I’ve owned my Hook for 7 years and guess I’ve never hit the 80 target hits on the last ball.

#1133 6 years ago
Quoted from Turboghia:

I’ve owned my Hook for 7 years and guess I’ve never hit the 80 target hits on the last ball.

That don't sound right, he said it's random between 8 and 80 switch hits and only appears on the last ball. Why not take the glass off and experiment flicking switches by hand? Defo works on mine and now as Chad explains I realise it is on the last ball.

#1134 6 years ago

Just checked, mine works and yeah it definitely varies how many targets have to be hit on the last ball. Thanks for the help.

#1135 6 years ago

So I checked the transistor it was good found a couple bad diodes on the bulbs and replaced those. Ran it through the test mode and checked all rows then columns had lights on when shouldnt had lights off when it should. astyy

#1136 6 years ago

Last night I removed the ramps and started the repairs. I ordered new DMD from Marco. The playfield is really dirty....lots of broken parts missing bolts and broken plastics

20180127_081933 (resized).jpg20180127_081933 (resized).jpg

#1137 6 years ago

Noticed the middle pop bumper did not function. Lifted the playfield and found the rod and ring broken and fiber washer was gone. Did find and parts in the cabinet. I think broken parts were removed and the owner continue to play it. Why not just repair it....

20180127_082136 (resized).jpg20180127_082136 (resized).jpg

#1138 6 years ago

Noticed the out hole under the skull is in really bad shape......I ordered a cliffy protector off of eBay. Will need to repair some of the wood on the playfield

20180127_082717 (resized).jpg20180127_082717 (resized).jpg

#1139 6 years ago

The outlines are looking horrible....I'm going to replace the with either blue or clear ones...install blue led bulbs. The rubbers look like the ones installed the pin when it was new...

20180127_082913 (resized).jpg20180127_082913 (resized).jpg

#1140 6 years ago

hawkeyexx did you try replacing R95 on the DMD? It does look similar to the one in Clays guide
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index3.htm#dots

#1141 6 years ago

Nope. I took all of the boards and the DMD to a person that can bench test all of the boards. He replaced stuff that was needed and installed NVRAM. I will read up on the link....thank you for sharing the information

#1142 6 years ago

hawkeyexx here's a pic of blue with black rubbers and white superbrite

15170917083312083045591 (resized).jpg15170917083312083045591 (resized).jpg

#1143 6 years ago

1517091837070417976815 (resized).jpg1517091837070417976815 (resized).jpg

#1144 6 years ago

Just tested our Hook for the display bug. Couldn't reproduce the issue, but I did notice a slight flashing glitch while scrolling through the instant info list, possibly related? Ignore the outgassing display. I'm talking about the score showing for a split second in the middle of the instant info sequence.

#1145 6 years ago

No that flashing is normal, as long as you get the left ramp display I think you're good.

#1146 6 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

hawkeyexx here's a pic of blue with black rubbers and white superbrite

Thanks for the photos......I like the blue inlanes and super brights

#1147 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Couldn't reproduce the issue, but I did notice a slight flashing glitch while scrolling through the instant info list, possibly related?

Not related to the issue that a couple Pinsiders are having... but still something that bugs me. The timer in Hook isn't very consistent which causes that score flash to happen occasionally during Instant Info. I've slightly adjusted this timer so this should happen less often in v.5.01 (coming soon).

#1148 6 years ago

Thanks for the update @ChadH.

#1149 6 years ago

I noticed the rubber post on the entry of the ramps and the skull are coned shaped......does any one know of site that sells them in blue? I sent Marco Specialities an email to see if they sold them but they never emailed me back.

Thanks

20180126_070703 (resized).jpg20180126_070703 (resized).jpg

#1150 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I noticed the rubber post on the entry of the ramps and the skull are coned shaped......does any one know of site that sells them in blue? I sent Marco Specialities an email to see if they sold them but they never emailed me back.
Thanks

I got rid of the cone shape rubbers and put colored sleeves over it. Check the pic couple posts back. It was tough getting them on but I like it better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.