IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 47.
#951 6 years ago

Sorry Chad try again
DE Hook issue

#953 6 years ago

There are a few of us having this issue

#954 6 years ago

Thanks for posting that video. I was hoping to see a video of before/during/after the issue.

Do you see a DMD reset where it shows the DMD boot screen? Even if for a split second?

hook-display-info (resized).pnghook-display-info (resized).png

If so, there is nothing that code can do to fix this. This is simply a power issue with your DMD and it is restarting. This can happen independent of the CPU so the game keeps playing.

This is also true of the sound board on these games... if the sound board has a power issue it can reboot also and will result in the default sound boot up sound playing "Hook, Hook, Hook!" and usually the music stopping until the next time the game sends a music cue to the sound card.

If your DMD is restarting, chances are that you need to check the power connections. Sometimes just reseating the connections (with game powered off) will get you by for a while, but really, you might have to reflow solder or replace connectors or components (related capacitors?) for a permanent fix.

#955 6 years ago

Whilst searching for your video, I found this cool topper lighting mod posted a few days ago...

#956 6 years ago

Ok I’ll reseat connections and verify voltages with a meter , and see if it resolves the issue . Weird that multiple people are having the same issue , you have to agree ? Thanks Chad I’ll get back to you !!
And yes I do see the boot screen so the DMD is resetting .

#957 6 years ago

Even with random display resets......the most important question to ask yourself.......What would your game room be like without captain Hook?

#958 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Whilst searching for your video, I found this cool topper lighting mod posted a few days ago...
» YouTube video

That thing is really cool. Anyone know what they used?

#959 6 years ago

I have the pot turned all the way down and my hook is still too loud. Is the volume pot going bad or is this something else? It seems like it has actually gotten louder over the last few weeks.

#960 6 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

That thing is really cool. Anyone know what they used?

Led lights that are battery operated that are used to go inside carved pumpkins

#961 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I have the pot turned all the way down and my hook is still too loud. Is the volume pot going bad or is this something else? It seems like it has actually gotten louder over the last few weeks.

My LW3 did this. Could only go from pretty loud to incredibly loud. Replaced the pot and no difference. Swapped the soundboard with one from a friends Star Wars and it works great. Tried comparing boards with a multimeter but couldn’t figure out what was bad on mine. Ordered a PinSound a few days ago with the Black Friday sale. Don’t tell my wife.

I can bring over my known working soundboard and we can swap and see if it fixes it.

#962 6 years ago

Hey all my Hook decided to act up this morning. It is restarting as soon as you start a game. I'm new to Data East and in general a novis when it comes to board issues. Much more comfortable with the mechanical stuff. Anyway, Let me know where I should start looking. Thanks!

#963 6 years ago

Does it happen Everytime a coil is fired? Could be a bad fuse clip to display. Have seen it happen before.

#964 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Does it happen Everytime a coil is fired? Could be a bad fuse clip to display. Have seen it happen before.

It might have something to do with coils firing. Sometimes the game will play for a little while and then the audio will cut out without reseting the game. Audio always comes back with the call out Hook, Hook, Hook! Sometimes it reboots the game completely.

#965 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

My LW3 did this. Could only go from pretty loud to incredibly loud. Replaced the pot and no difference. Swapped the soundboard with one from a friends Star Wars and it works great. Tried comparing boards with a multimeter but couldn’t figure out what was bad on mine. Ordered a PinSound a few days ago with the Black Friday sale. Don’t tell my wife.
I can bring over my known working soundboard and we can swap and see if it fixes it.

Hey it's you! Cool deal we'll make it happen some time.

#966 6 years ago

@SLCpunk here's what you should try......check all fuses and make sure there in there tight. Take off every connector one at a time and hit them with a clean tooth brush then put them back in the same way you took them off. If it still happens after all that we will dig in deeper.

#967 6 years ago

Hey Hook pros, what is your average time played per ball and what would you say the longest you've played a single ball?

#968 6 years ago

Hey Guys

In the pirate ship there is three LEDS that light up the extra ball, ten million and special. On each light there is a resistor. One is out but i cannot see in the book what Ohm it is. Can anyone help as i want to get a replacement one so they all light up.

#969 6 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Hey Guys
In the pirate ship there is three LEDS that light up the extra ball, ten million and special. On each light there is a resistor. One is out but i cannot see in the book what Ohm it is. Can anyone help as i want to get a replacement one so they all light up.

You mean a diode? Black with a silver band on them?

If so. They are 1N4004 or 1N4001. Either type will work. Just make sure your putting it on the right way.

#970 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You mean a diode? Black with a silver band on them?
If so. They are 1N4004 or 1N4001. Either type will work. Just make sure your putting it on the right way.

Thats the one thanks so much. How did you know that?

#971 6 years ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Thats the one thanks so much. How did you know that?

Just replaced one on one of the bulbs not too long ago. Those should be on every lamp that is controlled. Buy a ton of those diodes. They are the most common ones in pinball.

#972 6 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Thanks for posting that video. I was hoping to see a video of before/during/after the issue.
Do you see a DMD reset where it shows the DMD boot screen? Even if for a split second?

If so, there is nothing that code can do to fix this. This is simply a power issue with your DMD and it is restarting. This can happen independent of the CPU so the game keeps playing.
This is also true of the sound board on these games... if the sound board has a power issue it can reboot also and will result in the default sound boot up sound playing "Hook, Hook, Hook!" and usually the music stopping until the next time the game sends a music cue to the sound card.
If your DMD is restarting, chances are that you need to check the power connections. Sometimes just reseating the connections (with game powered off) will get you by for a while, but really, you might have to reflow solder or replace connectors or components (related capacitors?) for a permanent fix.

Thanks Chad for steering me in the direction....

Pulling the power supply and reflowing the headers and contact cleaner on the connectors, resolved the DMD reset problem
I have had several games on it with multiple players and no issues thus far..

Rob

#973 6 years ago

Disc+overed an issue with my Hook. Switch #20 sticks. Realized the culprit is the target rubbing against the rubber guard. It holds the target against the switch. Both the target, assembly and rubber looks installed correctly but there it significant wear on the rubber, so this has been an on going issue. Besides unscrewing the target assembly and moving it to the left do i have other better options?

20171201_131713 (resized).jpg20171201_131713 (resized).jpg

#974 6 years ago

Adjust the rubber so that it’s pulled extra tight at the corner that the spot target is near. That will give you some more clearance. Worked for me so far. Probably just a temp fix though.

#975 6 years ago

Anyone know where I can purchase a right ramp assembly?

Looking for a DMD too

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#976 6 years ago

Dmd's can be bought new........but there not cheap.

#977 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Dmd's can be bought new........but there not cheap.

I was hoping not to spend the 299.00 for a new one.

#978 6 years ago

Search the forums for DMDs for sale. People are getting rid of theirs all the time due to upgrading to ColorDMD and other color displays. You can find really good condition ones for much less than new.

#979 6 years ago

Re: dmd resetting. I cannot make it happen by jiggling any wires, shaking the machine or any physical movement. It seems to happen when there is a lot going on in the game, esp. Multiball. I did try reseating the cables and display ROM.

#980 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Search the forums for DMDs for sale. People are getting rid of theirs all the time due to upgrading to ColorDMD and other color displays. You can find really good condition ones for much less than new.

Hook used a DMD 128 x 16. Only 3 pins used this size DMD. I wished there was a color DMD for Hook

#981 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I wished there was a color DMD for Hook

There is, all we need is for someone to colorize the game when the Magic Color Editor software is ready!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/11#post-4002553

#982 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

There is, all we need is for someone to colorize the game when the Magic Color Editor software is ready!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmdmk64-new-dmd-multicolor-by-pinballsp-is-on-the-way/page/11#post-4002553

How much is that DMD? I asked about it no one had an answer if it was available.

#983 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

How much is that DMD? I asked about it no one had an answer if it was available.

The price I read earlier in the year was "about 195 Euros" for pinballsp version, not sure on Pin2DMD option of if either are generally available yet.
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdmk66-128x32-192x64-128x16-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-14#post-212358

#984 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Hook used a DMD 128 x 16. Only 3 pins used this size DMD.

Actually was used on 5 : Checkpoint, TMNT, Batman, Star Trek 25th and Hook I'd happily own all of them.

#985 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

The price I read earlier in the year was "about 195 Euros" for pinballsp version, not sure on Pin2DMD option of if either are generally available yet.
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdmk66-128x32-192x64-128x16-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-14#post-212358

Thanks for the the link and the information. I sent them an email to see if I could purchase one.

I might just purchase one from Marco Specialties
For 299.00

#986 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I might just purchase one from Marco Specialties
For 299.00

Are they multi-colour though? We're so close and Hook is going to look great in colour.

#987 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Are they multi-colour though? We're so close and Hook is going to look great in colour.

Luis from pinballsp emailed me back and said the DMD for Hook was not available for me to purchase

The DMD that Marco sales is not color DMD.

#988 6 years ago

Contact @rapplebox and see if they have any color dmd in that size.

#989 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Contact @rapplebox and see if they have any color dmd in that size.

As far as I know they don't. I would steer clear of PIN2DMD due to numerous design issues, Rappelbox is shady and does not respond to emails or ship replacement parts when things go wrong with his product.

#990 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Anyone know where I can purchase a right ramp assembly?

The back right "Rufio" ramp was expertly reproduced and improved by freeplay40 earlier this year
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/27#post-3676844

#991 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

The back right "Rufio" ramp was expertly reproduced and improved by freeplay40 earlier this year
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/27#post-3676844

Thank you for sharing the information. I have emailed free play40.

#992 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Thank you for sharing the information. I have emailed free play40.

I have ordered the right ramp from free play40.

#993 6 years ago

He still sells these? And there's no waiting list?

#994 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yes....mine ships out on Wednesday

#995 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Do you want one? I basically make them on demand and usually one or two extra. I have one left right now that is formed but not finished.

#996 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Do you want one? I basically make them on demand and usually one or two extra. I have one left right now that is formed but not finished.

I'll be getting one soon since you are making them on an as-needed basis. Meanwhile do you know where the get the water slide decals for just this ramp? Or is there a feasible way to transfer the decals from the old ramp and still make them stick and look good?

#997 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Meanwhile do you know where the get the water slide decals for just this ramp?

Someone here on Pinside had made a few. If I spot it I'll post it back here.

#998 6 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Someone here on Pinside had made a few. If I spot it I'll post it back here.

shicketmaster I believe....
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/16#post-3576499

#999 6 years ago

Thanks, sent him a PM.

#1000 6 years ago

Thanks...I sent a pm too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,322 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/20?hl=slcpunk2113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.