IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6951 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 47.
#851 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I guess it could be the resetting issue. I never thought of it that way. The score remaining correct and the ball count changing threw me off, but I supposed that could be it.
Where did you buy your DE ribbon cables? I'll buy some today.

Great Plains Electronics has them cheaper but I think you need to have the length and pin count.

IMG_0823 (resized).PNGIMG_0823 (resized).PNG

#852 6 years ago

Wow, I wish I would have thought at looking at Great Plains Electronics first, they are a fraction of the cost of Marcos. For future reference if anyone is reading this, the Ribbon cables are 20 pin and 26 pin connectors. Not sure on length without measuring the old ones.

#853 6 years ago

Here is a video of it after installing new Ribbons. I don't this is a code bug any longer.

So new power supply rebuilt, New ribbon cables. What should I look at next?

#854 6 years ago

I would replace the connector and header on the display driver board for the 5v power supply. But before doing that, I would verify you are getting a stable 5v (or close to 5v) to the connector. You can press your meter leads against the pins in the IDC connector from the back to check this. I would do this with the display unplugged as from experience a poor connection at the board can cause this to read low and make it appear to be an issue between the power supply and the connector.

#855 6 years ago

I just tested the 5v at the DMD power connection. 5V was unwavering. Even when in multiball. When I plugged the connection into the DMD, it went down to 4.9v. I did not test that during gameplay.

#856 6 years ago

Then your DMD may have issues. You can try reflashing the display ROM if you have an EPROM burner.

#857 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Then your DMD may have issues. You can try reflashing the display ROM if you have an EPROM burner.

It was actually resetting before the new roms, but I never noticed the Ball 1 before which made me assume it was the new code. I have a TMNT and I'll swap the displays tomorrow and test. The connector tested fine the whole time so that leads me to believe it is the male end (solder looked okay, but I can always reflow) or it could be something else on the DMD.

#858 6 years ago

I have a TMNT and I'll swap the displays tomorrow and test.

Any luck with swapping the displays futurepinhead ? I've pretty much resigned myself to the problem being on the DMD itself and I'm waiting for pinballsp to release his 128x16 Colour DMD.

Another symptom is that if you play multiplayer then after the DMD crashes it resets each players score to 0 and only shows the players up to the current player. It all returns to normal when the next ball starts but does spoil a multiplayer game.

#859 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Any luck with swapping the displays futurepinhead ? I've pretty much resigned myself to the problem being on the DMD itself and I'm waiting for pinballsp to release his 128x16 Colour DMD.
Another symptom is that if you play multiplayer then after the DMD crashes it resets each players score to 0 and only shows the players up to the current player. It all returns to normal when the next ball starts but does spoil a multiplayer game.

I've not had a chance to swap them yet, but I have set aside time to swap them Wed night so I'll check back in then

#860 6 years ago

Ok so I swapped DMDs with Hook and TMNT and now both work. I don't know if TMNT is less demanding or if it's the Rottendog PS that's installed in TMNT. Either way I believe it was the DMD and for the time being, both appear to be going fine. I'll update you if that changes

#861 6 years ago

Ok so I swapped DMDs with Hook and TMNT and now both work

Thanks for reporting back and good result. I wonder if re-seating whilst swapping the display ROMs over made a difference too. Certainly on mine the new ROM when I upgraded to Hook 5 improved things. I'm waiting for PinballSPs Colour DMD to try next.

#862 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Thanks for reporting back and good result. I wonder if re-seating whilst swapping the display ROMs over made a difference too. Certainly on mine the new ROM when I upgraded to Hook 5 improved things. I'm waiting for PinballSPs Colour DMD to try next.

Can you send a link? I haven't heard of that.

#863 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Can you send a link? I haven't heard of that.

Pinballsp has posted information and a photo of the board design for 128x16 here;
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdst32-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-10#post-197840

1 month later
#864 6 years ago

Need some help
Was playing my hook machine and out of no where while playing the game reseted itself. Now when i press start i get two hook announcements and thats it just keeps reapeating hook twice. Has anyone had this problem or know where i should start. Im also running hook 5.0
Thanks for your time and support

#866 6 years ago

Check your 5v supply from the power supply board. CPU and sound board are resetting.

#867 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Check your 5v supply from the power supply board. CPU and sound board are resetting.

Ok thanks. Ill check it tomorrow and post on what i find

3 weeks later
#868 6 years ago

Checked the 5v connectors and multipule other connectors. All with correct voltage. So i cycled the machine and everytime it started i would lose the 5v on my meter and the PIA light on the cpu board would turn on.

1 week later
#869 6 years ago

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop? I've just finished restoring my hook and I'm missing this plastic. It looks from pictures to have some rivets in it. Thanks for any help. Oh and here's my hook. Before and after.

IMG_0892 (resized).JPGIMG_0892 (resized).JPG

IMG_0895 (resized).JPGIMG_0895 (resized).JPG

IMG_0894 (resized).JPGIMG_0894 (resized).JPG

IMG_0283 (resized).JPGIMG_0283 (resized).JPG

IMG_0285 (resized).JPGIMG_0285 (resized).JPG

IMG_0284 (resized).JPGIMG_0284 (resized).JPG

IMG_0288 (resized).JPGIMG_0288 (resized).JPG

IMG_0513 (resized).JPGIMG_0513 (resized).JPG

IMG_0516 (resized).JPGIMG_0516 (resized).JPG

IMG_0517 (resized).JPGIMG_0517 (resized).JPG

#870 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop? I've just finished restoring my hook and I'm missing this plastic. It looks from pictures to have some rivets in it. Thanks for any help. Oh and here's my hook. Before and after.

Which one you want? ebay.com link: Data East Hook pinball machine full playfield plastic set also sell separately

#871 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop?

It's the circular tree one shown in the Ebay link above.

Nice work on your cabinet, is it painted or decaled?

20170830_203954 (resized).jpg20170830_203954 (resized).jpg

#872 6 years ago

Sorry guys. I meant what is riveted on to the boulder plastic. I have the tree ring. I have a plastic coming but nothing on it. There seems to be rivets on all pictures I've seen of it.

The cabinet is decaled. Was a lot of work to get it up to a standard to decal. Split corners, delaminating all over the place. Lots of glue clamps and resin but came up a treat.

This is the best picture I can find of it. Is it a ball deflector or something maybe.

IMG_0906 (resized).JPGIMG_0906 (resized).JPG

#873 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I meant what is riveted on to the boulder plastic.

Gotcha, yes a small deflector, here's some pics to help. In the 2nd pic make sure you have that pin as that can be a ball hang spot.

20170831_095422_001 (resized).jpg20170831_095422_001 (resized).jpg

20170831_095813_001 (resized).jpg20170831_095813_001 (resized).jpg

#874 6 years ago

Hey guys, a couple of game play questions... I have played loads of games on my machine now and I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either. Can anyone confirm what/how this is meant to work? I am running Chad's (excellent) code update. Thanks!

#875 6 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

Hey guys, a couple of game play questions... I have played loads of games on my machine now and I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either. Can anyone confirm what/how this is meant to work? I am running Chad's (excellent) code update. Thanks!

I don't recall specifics around Pirate Award choices and how they are determined... but I can tell you that the Pirate Award is only ever offered up on Ball 3. It is activated after hitting a random number of switches between 8 and 80. (If in Tournament mode, it is activated on the same number of switches every time... which if I recall correctly is 80.)

Also, if you are on Ball 3 and get an extra ball, thus playing Ball 3 again, I think Pirate Award will be offered up again.

Actually, I should say that it is offered on the "last ball"... so for example, if your game is set to 5 Balls, then it will only ever be offered on Ball 5.

#876 6 years ago

Speaking of Tournament Mode (newly added in v.5.00 update)... I am curious to know if anyone uses this?

Have you played the 5.00 update in Tournament Mode and in an actual tournament? If so, how did it go?

#877 6 years ago

I have recently got my hook boards serviced and now just really started playing chads code in more depth.
I am really really enjoying it. I have just set it to tournament mode and will check it out.

#878 6 years ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

That is incredible! Can you give me a quick rundown on your process?

#879 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That is incredible! Can you give me a quick rundown on your process?

Hard to do a quick rundown. It was a big process. I'll send a pm and here's some pictures. There was a big void under the top ply veneer. I drilled holes and used a syringe to fill with resin.

IMG_0504 (resized).JPGIMG_0504 (resized).JPG

IMG_0505 (resized).JPGIMG_0505 (resized).JPG

IMG_0528 (resized).JPGIMG_0528 (resized).JPG

IMG_0548 (resized).JPGIMG_0548 (resized).JPG

IMG_0574 (resized).JPGIMG_0574 (resized).JPG

IMG_0581 (resized).JPGIMG_0581 (resized).JPG

IMG_0617 (resized).JPGIMG_0617 (resized).JPG

IMG_0643 (resized).JPGIMG_0643 (resized).JPG

IMG_0777 (resized).JPGIMG_0777 (resized).JPG

IMG_0782 (resized).JPGIMG_0782 (resized).JPG

IMG_0784 (resized).JPGIMG_0784 (resized).JPG

IMG_0814 (resized).JPGIMG_0814 (resized).JPG

IMG_0791 (resized).JPGIMG_0791 (resized).JPG

IMG_0824 (resized).JPGIMG_0824 (resized).JPG

IMG_0826 (resized).JPGIMG_0826 (resized).JPG

IMG_0833 (resized).JPGIMG_0833 (resized).JPG

IMG_0854 (resized).JPGIMG_0854 (resized).JPG

IMG_0866 (resized).JPGIMG_0866 (resized).JPG

IMG_0870 (resized).JPGIMG_0870 (resized).JPG

#880 6 years ago

Wow. Great job

#881 6 years ago

What type of green liquid you using in injector?

#882 6 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either.

I'll pay more attention, but I'm sure I've had all 3 Pirate Town specials - perhaps the extra ball offered relates to whether you were offered it on the skill shot ramp first, which only seems to happen on the last ball of a low score game (often!). What happens on mine is that sometimes Pirate Town isn't awarded but that could be a flaky drop target switch.

The extra ball insert pointing to the skull I've only ever seen lit once or twice in the years I've owned Hook and that's since Chads (excellent) V5 update.

What's also rare is being offered the "free" multiball on skillshot hole 1. Have only seen that a couple of times on last ball.

My favourite Hook shot is recovering a 2 ball multiball to 3 where you lock a ball in the VUK, then shoot the windcoaster and have the first ball returned via the (underused) diverter.

Ha, it's nearly the weekend let's play some Hook.

#883 6 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

What type of green liquid you using in injector?

Fibreglass resin. Seeps right into all the loose ply and is as hard as nails once set.

IMG_0805 (resized).JPGIMG_0805 (resized).JPG

IMG_0807 (resized).JPGIMG_0807 (resized).JPG

IMG_0818 (resized).JPGIMG_0818 (resized).JPG

#884 6 years ago

Well i found the problem with the restart with alot of help from todd at tnt amusements. its the board that runs the rope light on the wincoaster.

#885 6 years ago

Glad I could help! It had to be one of the three things I told you!

#886 6 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Well i found the problem with the restart with alot of help from todd at tnt amusements. its the board that runs the rope light on the wincoaster.

Are you using an aftermarket power supply? If so check the solution in this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizarre-audio-break-up-problem-on-hook

1 week later
#887 6 years ago

Has anyone came out with a color did for hook yet and I'm not talking about just a single color. I think someone was working on one but forgot where I had read it

#888 6 years ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Has anyone came out with a color did for hook yet and I'm not talking about just a single color. I think someone was working on one but forgot where I had read it

PinballSP is working on this, but it's not done yet.

#889 6 years ago

Anyone know where and if someone makes a shaker for hook i think it would be a great touch any thoughts?

1 week later
#890 6 years ago

Excited to be part of the club! Picked it up with one broken plastic (already have a replacement ordered) and some lights out. Just general cleaning needed otherwise. Anyone know where to get a repro clear red shooter rod?

IMG_1182 (resized).JPGIMG_1182 (resized).JPG

IMG_1184 (resized).JPGIMG_1184 (resized).JPG

IMG_1185 (resized).JPGIMG_1185 (resized).JPG

IMG_1186 (resized).JPGIMG_1186 (resized).JPG

#891 6 years ago

Wow is that backbox colour LEDs?

Quoted from ChrisRAD:

Anyone know where to get a repro clear red shooter rod?

I got mine from a UK supplier but looks much like this one on Marcos - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-9253-9

Originally there were DE logo ones but they seem to mysteriously dissappear
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#892 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisRAD:

Excited to be part of the club! Picked it up with one broken plastic (already have a replacement ordered) and some lights out. Just general cleaning needed otherwise. Anyone know where to get a repro clear red shooter rod?

Where did you find a single replacement plastic? This game and a lot of other Data East games use partially transparent plastics. I know CPR has been doing Data East sets in the past year but like you I occasionally have only one or two that need replacement.

#893 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Where did you find a single replacement plastic? This game and a lot of other Data East games use partially transparent plastics. I know CPR has been doing Data East sets in the past year but like you I occasionally have only one or two that need replacement.

I have extra plastics from when I first got my machine I bought every one I could find even if I didn't need it. Pinball life carries the clear red shooter rod

#895 6 years ago

I see Pin2DMD are making progress on 128x16 support too;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/16#post-3987854
Ummm, the title in the URL is different to the thread

What are the pro's and cons of the two options?

#896 6 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

I see Pin2DMD are making progress on 128x16 support too;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stolen-pin2dmd-color-rgb-controller-from-pinballspcom/page/16#post-3987854
Ummm, the title in the URL is different to the thread
What are the pro's and cons of the two options?

Most of the features PIN2DMD already has implemented in the last 2 years, like frame by frame colorization are currently only announced for PinballSP´s MK66. He is a very good and fast hardware designer but software programming and bug fixing is the more complex and time consuming task. So far there has been no video of PinballSPs 128x16 board working. Because from our side PIN2DMD is still DIY project we will release the DIY version of the DE 128x16 controller as the next step but a plug and play custom hardware is also already planned by some hardware suppliers.

So from the functional side there are more pros for PIN2DMD. The "cons" for PIN2DMD are that the software is non commercial and it needs a 10$ donation for the activation key. We forward those donations to charity organizations like orphans home. The currently available hardware is also not as much plug and play as PinballSPs but the hardware suppliers are working on this.

#897 6 years ago
1 week later
#898 6 years ago

Added a cheap light that’s used for inside pumpkins on Halloween haha. Cool since it lights up the walls behind the game also.

#899 6 years ago

If all goes well I'll be in the club by the end of the day. Only problem is the owner doesn't have keys so it's going to be a bit of a leap of faith if there are any problems, and moving it if I have to use the dolly. Who knows what might be in the coin box that might come crashing down. My Jurassic park captures the balls that are in the trough even when the playfield is lifted, is hook the same?

#900 6 years ago

So I just realised that the yellow dome next to the right ramp on top of it dissent even have a socket for a light there. Can anyone post a picture of what it is tied into so I can wire it it.

Guy above this post. Take a drill and drill out the center of the lock and you can open it. Def check inside before buying

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 64.00
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
There are 2,314 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back/page/18?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.