By winteriscoming

3 years ago

Stats

• 889 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by garretswinning
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 248 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0818 (resized).JPG
IMG_0807 (resized).JPG
IMG_0805 (resized).JPG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
IMG_0866 (resized).JPG
IMG_0854 (resized).JPG
IMG_0833 (resized).JPG
IMG_0826 (resized).JPG
IMG_0824 (resized).JPG
IMG_0791 (resized).JPG
IMG_0814 (resized).JPG
IMG_0784 (resized).JPG
IMG_0782 (resized).JPG
IMG_0777 (resized).JPG
IMG_0643 (resized).JPG
IMG_0617 (resized).JPG

There are 889 posts in topic. You are on page 18 of 18.
#851 3 months ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

I guess it could be the resetting issue. I never thought of it that way. The score remaining correct and the ball count changing threw me off, but I supposed that could be it.
Where did you buy your DE ribbon cables? I'll buy some today.

Great Plains Electronics has them cheaper but I think you need to have the length and pin count.

IMG_0823 (resized).PNG

#852 3 months ago

Wow, I wish I would have thought at looking at Great Plains Electronics first, they are a fraction of the cost of Marcos. For future reference if anyone is reading this, the Ribbon cables are 20 pin and 26 pin connectors. Not sure on length without measuring the old ones.

#853 3 months ago

Here is a video of it after installing new Ribbons. I don't this is a code bug any longer.

So new power supply rebuilt, New ribbon cables. What should I look at next?

» YouTube video

#854 3 months ago

I would replace the connector and header on the display driver board for the 5v power supply. But before doing that, I would verify you are getting a stable 5v (or close to 5v) to the connector. You can press your meter leads against the pins in the IDC connector from the back to check this. I would do this with the display unplugged as from experience a poor connection at the board can cause this to read low and make it appear to be an issue between the power supply and the connector.

#855 3 months ago

I just tested the 5v at the DMD power connection. 5V was unwavering. Even when in multiball. When I plugged the connection into the DMD, it went down to 4.9v. I did not test that during gameplay.

#856 3 months ago

Then your DMD may have issues. You can try reflashing the display ROM if you have an EPROM burner.

#857 3 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

Then your DMD may have issues. You can try reflashing the display ROM if you have an EPROM burner.

It was actually resetting before the new roms, but I never noticed the Ball 1 before which made me assume it was the new code. I have a TMNT and I'll swap the displays tomorrow and test. The connector tested fine the whole time so that leads me to believe it is the male end (solder looked okay, but I can always reflow) or it could be something else on the DMD.

#858 3 months ago

I have a TMNT and I'll swap the displays tomorrow and test.

Any luck with swapping the displays @futurepinhead ? I've pretty much resigned myself to the problem being on the DMD itself and I'm waiting for pinballsp to release his 128x16 Colour DMD.

Another symptom is that if you play multiplayer then after the DMD crashes it resets each players score to 0 and only shows the players up to the current player. It all returns to normal when the next ball starts but does spoil a multiplayer game.

#859 3 months ago
Quoted from astyy:

Any luck with swapping the displays futurepinhead ? I've pretty much resigned myself to the problem being on the DMD itself and I'm waiting for pinballsp to release his 128x16 Colour DMD.
Another symptom is that if you play multiplayer then after the DMD crashes it resets each players score to 0 and only shows the players up to the current player. It all returns to normal when the next ball starts but does spoil a multiplayer game.

I've not had a chance to swap them yet, but I have set aside time to swap them Wed night so I'll check back in then

#860 3 months ago

Ok so I swapped DMDs with Hook and TMNT and now both work. I don't know if TMNT is less demanding or if it's the Rottendog PS that's installed in TMNT. Either way I believe it was the DMD and for the time being, both appear to be going fine. I'll update you if that changes

#861 3 months ago

Ok so I swapped DMDs with Hook and TMNT and now both work

Thanks for reporting back and good result. I wonder if re-seating whilst swapping the display ROMs over made a difference too. Certainly on mine the new ROM when I upgraded to Hook 5 improved things. I'm waiting for PinballSPs Colour DMD to try next.

#862 3 months ago
Quoted from astyy:

Thanks for reporting back and good result. I wonder if re-seating whilst swapping the display ROMs over made a difference too. Certainly on mine the new ROM when I upgraded to Hook 5 improved things. I'm waiting for PinballSPs Colour DMD to try next.

Can you send a link? I haven't heard of that.

#863 89 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Can you send a link? I haven't heard of that.

Pinballsp has posted information and a photo of the board design for 128x16 here;
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/dmd-led-color-dmdst32-manufactured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-10#post-197840

1 month later
#864 58 days ago

Need some help
Was playing my hook machine and out of no where while playing the game reseted itself. Now when i press start i get two hook announcements and thats it just keeps reapeating hook twice. Has anyone had this problem or know where i should start. Im also running hook 5.0
Thanks for your time and support

#865 56 days ago

@winteriscoming

#866 55 days ago

Check your 5v supply from the power supply board. CPU and sound board are resetting.

#867 55 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

Check your 5v supply from the power supply board. CPU and sound board are resetting.

Ok thanks. Ill check it tomorrow and post on what i find

3 weeks later
#868 33 days ago

Checked the 5v connectors and multipule other connectors. All with correct voltage. So i cycled the machine and everytime it started i would lose the 5v on my meter and the PIA light on the cpu board would turn on.

1 week later
#869 22 days ago

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop? I've just finished restoring my hook and I'm missing this plastic. It looks from pictures to have some rivets in it. Thanks for any help. Oh and here's my hook. Before and after.

IMG_0892 (resized).JPG

IMG_0895 (resized).JPG

IMG_0894 (resized).JPG

IMG_0283 (resized).JPG

IMG_0285 (resized).JPG

IMG_0284 (resized).JPG

IMG_0288 (resized).JPG

IMG_0513 (resized).JPG

IMG_0516 (resized).JPG

IMG_0517 (resized).JPG

#870 22 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop? I've just finished restoring my hook and I'm missing this plastic. It looks from pictures to have some rivets in it. Thanks for any help. Oh and here's my hook. Before and after.

Which one you want? ebay.com link » Data East Hook Pinball Machine Full Playfield Plastic Set Also Sell Separately

#871 22 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

Can anyone help me with what is under the boulder plastic on the bottom pop?

It's the circular tree one shown in the Ebay link above.

Nice work on your cabinet, is it painted or decaled?

20170830_203954 (resized).jpg

#872 22 days ago

Sorry guys. I meant what is riveted on to the boulder plastic. I have the tree ring. I have a plastic coming but nothing on it. There seems to be rivets on all pictures I've seen of it.

The cabinet is decaled. Was a lot of work to get it up to a standard to decal. Split corners, delaminating all over the place. Lots of glue clamps and resin but came up a treat.

This is the best picture I can find of it. Is it a ball deflector or something maybe.

IMG_0906 (resized).JPG

#873 22 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I meant what is riveted on to the boulder plastic.

Gotcha, yes a small deflector, here's some pics to help. In the 2nd pic make sure you have that pin as that can be a ball hang spot.

20170831_095422_001 (resized).jpg

20170831_095813_001 (resized).jpg

#874 21 days ago

Hey guys, a couple of game play questions... I have played loads of games on my machine now and I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either. Can anyone confirm what/how this is meant to work? I am running Chad's (excellent) code update. Thanks!

#875 21 days ago
Quoted from ChriX:

Hey guys, a couple of game play questions... I have played loads of games on my machine now and I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either. Can anyone confirm what/how this is meant to work? I am running Chad's (excellent) code update. Thanks!

I don't recall specifics around Pirate Award choices and how they are determined... but I can tell you that the Pirate Award is only ever offered up on Ball 3. It is activated after hitting a random number of switches between 8 and 80. (If in Tournament mode, it is activated on the same number of switches every time... which if I recall correctly is 80.)

Also, if you are on Ball 3 and get an extra ball, thus playing Ball 3 again, I think Pirate Award will be offered up again.

Actually, I should say that it is offered on the "last ball"... so for example, if your game is set to 5 Balls, then it will only ever be offered on Ball 5.

#876 21 days ago

Speaking of Tournament Mode (newly added in v.5.00 update)... I am curious to know if anyone uses this?

Have you played the 5.00 update in Tournament Mode and in an actual tournament? If so, how did it go?

#877 21 days ago

I have recently got my hook boards serviced and now just really started playing chads code in more depth.
I am really really enjoying it. I have just set it to tournament mode and will check it out.

#878 21 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

That is incredible! Can you give me a quick rundown on your process?

#879 21 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

That is incredible! Can you give me a quick rundown on your process?

Hard to do a quick rundown. It was a big process. I'll send a pm and here's some pictures. There was a big void under the top ply veneer. I drilled holes and used a syringe to fill with resin.

IMG_0504 (resized).JPG

IMG_0505 (resized).JPG

IMG_0528 (resized).JPG

IMG_0548 (resized).JPG

IMG_0574 (resized).JPG

IMG_0581 (resized).JPG

IMG_0617 (resized).JPG

IMG_0643 (resized).JPG

IMG_0777 (resized).JPG

IMG_0782 (resized).JPG

IMG_0784 (resized).JPG

IMG_0814 (resized).JPG

IMG_0791 (resized).JPG

IMG_0824 (resized).JPG

IMG_0826 (resized).JPG

IMG_0833 (resized).JPG

IMG_0854 (resized).JPG

IMG_0866 (resized).JPG

IMG_0870 (resized).JPG

#880 21 days ago

Wow. Great job

#881 21 days ago

What type of green liquid you using in injector?

#882 21 days ago
Quoted from ChriX:

I have never ever had an extra ball or special from the pirate ship targets, it's only ever 10 million. Also no idea what lights them for 10 million! Additionally there's the extra ball insert pointing at the skull, never had this either.

I'll pay more attention, but I'm sure I've had all 3 Pirate Town specials - perhaps the extra ball offered relates to whether you were offered it on the skill shot ramp first, which only seems to happen on the last ball of a low score game (often!). What happens on mine is that sometimes Pirate Town isn't awarded but that could be a flaky drop target switch.

The extra ball insert pointing to the skull I've only ever seen lit once or twice in the years I've owned Hook and that's since Chads (excellent) V5 update.

What's also rare is being offered the "free" multiball on skillshot hole 1. Have only seen that a couple of times on last ball.

My favourite Hook shot is recovering a 2 ball multiball to 3 where you lock a ball in the VUK, then shoot the windcoaster and have the first ball returned via the (underused) diverter.

Ha, it's nearly the weekend let's play some Hook.

#883 21 days ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

What type of green liquid you using in injector?

Fibreglass resin. Seeps right into all the loose ply and is as hard as nails once set.

IMG_0805 (resized).JPG

IMG_0807 (resized).JPG

IMG_0818 (resized).JPG

#884 20 days ago

Well i found the problem with the restart with alot of help from todd at tnt amusements. its the board that runs the rope light on the wincoaster.

#885 17 days ago

Glad I could help! It had to be one of the three things I told you!

#886 17 days ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Well i found the problem with the restart with alot of help from todd at tnt amusements. its the board that runs the rope light on the wincoaster.

Are you using an aftermarket power supply? If so check the solution in this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bizarre-audio-break-up-problem-on-hook

1 week later
#887 4 days ago

Has anyone came out with a color did for hook yet and I'm not talking about just a single color. I think someone was working on one but forgot where I had read it

#888 4 days ago
Quoted from garretswinning:

Has anyone came out with a color did for hook yet and I'm not talking about just a single color. I think someone was working on one but forgot where I had read it

PinballSP is working on this, but it's not done yet.

#889 2 days ago

Anyone know where and if someone makes a shaker for hook i think it would be a great touch any thoughts?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Cruz, CA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
There are 889 posts in topic. You are on page 18 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.