Topic Stats

• 1,829 posts
  • 165 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by dpannell
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 520 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pin2dmdsmalldis (resized).jpg
20190815_115303 (resized).jpg
20190815_082134 (resized).jpg
20190815_082003 (resized).jpg
20190815_082643 (resized).jpg
20190815_082354 (resized).jpg
20190815_082829 (resized).jpg
20190815_082410 (resized).jpg
hookCurrent (resized).jpg
hookStart (resized).jpg
hook6 (resized).jpg
hook5 (resized).jpg
Hook4 (resized).jpg
Hook3 (resized).jpg
hook7 (resized).jpg
Hook1 (resized).jpg

There are 1829 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 37.
#751 2 years ago

Hey, the new code chadh created rocks! I put in the new ROMs today (as well as some Cliffys, NVRAM, new flipper bats, new (taller) legs, new armor, and a new lock down bar and I swear it is like having an all new game! Coupled this with the LED's, mirror blades, and the Boston pinball red DMD that I have put in and it is almost a new game

Going back to the code, definitely install it! From the new Hook animation at the beginning to the new rules and overall consistency, it changes things a lot. I only have about 5 games or so on it but you can tell the difference almost immediately . There are new sounds that pop up that definitely surprise me in a good way since I have been hearing the old sounds for about 17 years. I really like what Chad has done with the drop targets as mentioned above. Also, shooting AM/PM and Croc Tower 3 times now definetly adds to the game.

Top marks, Chad!

Hell, I am going to have to touch up my cabinet now (not that it is in bad shape) with all the newness.

--Matt

#752 2 years ago

Hey guys only new the to pinball world well i loved them as a kid now 2 weeks ago got my own and it just happens to be Hook its in great nick for a 25 year old machine the last owner has had it from new and taken great care of it come with all the paper work and keys and so on some it was a good score! thinking of adding LEDS after seeing a few with it really makes the machine pop and like the sound of that new CODE looks like a great update

Hope i can join the club and look forward to picking all of your brains if anythings goes wrong

20170105_180921 (resized).jpg

20170105_180939 (resized).jpg

20170105_181139 (resized).jpg

#753 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hi guys, i wanna tell you about my restoring project. I start working on this pinball 3-4 ago. i made new decals for it, for cabinet and for playfield targets. i am refresh cabinet paint and apply my decals. i took playfield from cabinet and restored damaged places on playfield, and after this i made new clearcoat... also i made hole protectors, i put color change LED in to two holes. also i made all new playfield plastics. Original DMD was replaced on new LED DMD. i polished all metal and plastic, change all rubbers, and lamps, fix all electronics... so it's looks like new but this pinball was made 25 years ago
if you have any questions and your comments about this are welcome...
all my reproduced stuff is available for sale, decals, plastic parts, hole protectors and other stuff...
follow my future projects, on pinballowners, my name is "fuza", nba fastbreak restored, working on simpsons pinball party.
thanks

Hi mate i am looking to upgrade the lighting to LED love the look do you have a list of all the LEDs you got or did you just order a kit Thanks

#754 2 years ago

Welcome dirtynerd. That is a beautiful machine.

#755 2 years ago

Hi everyone, is there anyone that can burn me a set of the new roms from chad? I dont have a burner unfortunately. I would be more then happy to make a donation
thanks

#756 2 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

Hi everyone, is there anyone that can burn me a set of the new roms from chad? I dont have a burner unfortunately. I would be more then happy to make a donation
thanks

I bought mine from johnwartjr. Send him a PM and he can hook you up. Make sure to donate to chadh for his coding.

#757 2 years ago

Will do thank you so much

#758 2 years ago

You are welcome. The new code is pretty sweet.

#759 2 years ago
Quoted from armi0024:

Ok guys, I have a good vac forming place and I'm going to take the my Rufio in to copy it. Is there enough interest to run as many as 50-100 of these?

Has this been done? I would like all ramps but I'm no where near a vac and it doesn't sound like Freeplay cares too much about reproducing them.

#760 2 years ago

Hi everyone
I tried to reach out to John and he has never responded. Can anyone else burn me a set of the new rom's?
thanks

#761 2 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

Hi everyone
I tried to reach out to John and he has never responded. Can anyone else burn me a set of the new rom's?
thanks

I'm interested in them as well. Would love to put it in my pin. Thanks.

#762 2 years ago

I'm interested as well.

#763 2 years ago

I upgraded mine to Chad/V5 Unofficial yesterday. Have only played a few games so far but the improvement is immediately noticeable and throughout, new sounds, animations, flow etc. The machine just seems less jerky and more polished overall now.

WP_20170110_14_56_34_Pro (resized).jpg

#764 2 years ago

Yep - really enjoying chads update. My hook is recently resetting mid game, so haven't been able to play a decent game yet!

#765 2 years ago

Nice i would really like that Rom update if anyone has the skills and a burner please PM me

#766 2 years ago
Quoted from goggleloy:

Hi everyone
thanks

Quoted from Mizzoo70:

I'm interested in them as well. Would love to put it in my pin. Thanks.

Quoted from shicketmaster:

I'm interested as well.

Quoted from Dirtynerd:

Nice i would really like that Rom update if anyone has the skills and a burner please PM me

I am able to burn ROMS PM me info and I will get it done.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from mwrose3204:

I am able to burn ROMS PM me info and I will get it done.

Pm sent. Thanks!

#768 2 years ago

PM sent, thanks

#769 2 years ago

Spent more time playing & enjoying the chadh Hook 5. The use of sound and overall timing is far better, you know what's going on from the feedback and the new sound during Crock clock is particularly good. Shooting the targets to increase the Windcoaster is neat too - I'm not good at repetitively making the ramp but I was up to 7 million. I'm struggling now to make the Clocks (you have to shoot Rufio 3 times rather than 2 for AM/PM) but now the Try Again works you can wizz it straight around Rufio to light one which helps and also returns the ball to the right flipper setup for a nice Combo attempt. Also, the mode lights on the scoop are far more accessible being balanced and you can rack them up too.

My only (very) trivial downside is that I preferred the Tinkerbell call out on the Try Again to the new "Come back and fight".

How are others getting on?

Edit. The update is perfect, Tinkerbell still calls Try Again, and Hook Shoot Again!!!

#770 2 years ago

Pm sent thanks

#771 2 years ago

Could anyone snap a quick pic of the left pop bumper assembly for me? I am mounting the two plastics on top but the standoffs for the upper plastic interfere with the operation of the bumper so just wondering if there are meant to be spacers or something between the body and the lower plastic.

#772 2 years ago

chrix here are a couple of snaps from mine. Bottom plastic is screwed direct to top of bumper body and the two closest standoffs sit within the bumper ring radius so don't foul it.

20170115_152023 (resized).jpg

20170115_151936 (resized).jpg

#773 2 years ago

astyy top man thanks for that. I changed my bumper bodies so I guess the repro ones are shorter. Will make a couple of tiny spacers to stop it hitting.

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

Spent more time playing & enjoying the chadh Hook 5. The use of sound and overall timing is far better, you know what's going on from the feedback and the new sound during Crock clock is particularly good. Shooting the targets to increase the Windcoaster is neat too - I'm not good at repetitively making the ramp but I was up to 7 million. I'm struggling now to make the Clocks (you have to shoot Rufio 3 times rather than 2 for AM/PM) but now the Try Again works you can wizz it straight around Rufio to light one which helps and also returns the ball to the right flipper setup for a nice Combo attempt. Also, the mode lights on the scoop are far more accessible being balanced and you can rack them up too.
My only (very) trivial downside is that I preferred the Tinkerbell call out on the Try Again to the new "Come back and fight".
How are others getting on?
Edit. The update is perfect, Tinkerbell still calls Try Again, and Hook Shoot Again!!!

Always appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

#775 2 years ago

Made some custom score cards here tonight and think that they turned out pretty good. Lighting in the room is weird but it looks better in person. In addition to having a parchment graphic, printed them out on some parchment paper. If anybody wants my files PM me and I will be glad to send them to you.

IMG_0876 (resized).jpg

IMG_0879 copy (resized).jpg

IMG_0880_1 copy (resized).jpg

#776 2 years ago

When entering the high score initials on my hook, the flippers remain activated. This is my only game that does this. Can anyone else validate if this is normal?
Thanks

#777 2 years ago

I think all of my games are like that including hook

#778 2 years ago

Hook is 25 years old this month!

#779 2 years ago

Reproduction plastics sets are on eBay. I bought one piece from this guy in the past and it is pretty nice.

ebay.com link » Data East Hook Pinball Machine Full Playfield Plastic Set Also Sell Separately

#780 2 years ago

Thanks for posting about the plastics, I have contacted him to get the few I need to finish off my machine.

Does anyone know where I can get the ramp entry gates for Hook?

#781 2 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

Thanks for posting about the plastics, I have contacted him to get the few I need to finish off my machine.

Cheers. Although mine are in good shape for the most part, I did buy a set to replace some and to have backups. I had bought the plastic under the skull from him previously and was impressed with the quality.

#782 2 years ago

Hey guys. this is my plastic set on eBay. if you need it contact me directly, ill ship it out of eBay because fee's is very high and provide you discount on this set.

#783 2 years ago

DBLM, your set shipped today.

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

DBLM, your set shipped today.

You the man vbobrusev !

#785 2 years ago

New eproms are in. I will be mailing out the next batch of orders for "V 5.0" early next week. If you need them and you haven't pm'd me let me know. If you already paid I'll send you the tracking numbers immediately after I mail them.

Thanks,
Matt

#786 2 years ago

After installing the home code from chadh, I have noticed that sometimes an extra ball is ejected when you are shooting the balls in the shooter lane to start multi ball if you soft plunge but do not drop a ball into 1 or 2. I do not know if this is related to a code change or if there is something that has changed or needs to be adjusted on my machine. Has anybody else experienced this?

#787 2 years ago

I haven't had that issue at all.

#788 2 years ago
Quoted from mwrose3204:

I haven't had that issue at all.

Thanks for the reply. Let me try to diagnose it some.

#789 2 years ago

I'm thinking about picking up a Hook, although I can't remember what the game play was like the last time I played one which was many years ago. I noticed they have a new "unofficial" code that was released last month and read a few reviews in this thread about the update. Anymore users out there with updated code? Does it actually improve the game play and make Hook a better machine or does it still play the same? Any feedback is appreciated.

#790 2 years ago
Quoted from mwrose3204:

New eproms are in. I will be mailing out the next batch of orders for "V 5.0" early next week. If you need them and you haven't pm'd me let me know. If you already paid I'll send you the tracking numbers immediately after I mail them.
Thanks,
Matt

PM sent

#791 2 years ago
Quoted from mwrose3204:

If you already paid I'll send you the tracking numbers immediately after I mail them.
Thanks,
Matt

Awesome. Thanks Matt.
This is actually giving me some time to clean the game!
-Kyros

#792 2 years ago

Finally got my game up and running today, loving the new code! I only played my game a few times before shopping it out and there were so many bugs, now so much better.

The way the drops build the ramp value is a big improvement, plus love all the new callouts and music.

A bit of feedback, for the croc time mode (which is now much improved), the lights at the ramp do not continue to flash after the initial intro light show. I've had players comment that they understand the hurry up style music and the value countdown but had no idea what they should be shooting for as nothing was flashing. I'm assuming this is not just my machine doing this... but let me know.

Thanks ChadH !

#793 2 years ago

A couple of other possible bugs noticed... by all means NOT complaining as these are so minor compared to how it was previously, but posting for sake of completeness only.

If you are a terrible player like myself that loses their multiball without jackpots AND fails to make the multiball restart shot before it times out, the game continues to play the 'hurry up' music during regular play. It will switch into modes such as croc time and then afterwards continue to play the hurry up music. Only at ball end does it return to normal.

Secondly, when you get the pity multiball offered at skill shot 1, I have noticed on the second ball it also asks for skill shot 1, but if you miss and hit skill shot 2 it still gives the 'good ball' callout and awards points. I've noticed this a couple of times and checked switches... again I don't think it's my machine but happy to be corrected on either.

#794 2 years ago

Tired of your old busted Rufio ramp?

Mark (FreePlay40) asked me to send him my good condition Rufio ramp for reproduction. I know the interest is here, so if you haven't already done so, go over to his ramp feed and let him know you are interested in one if he produces them. That will allow him to gauge real interest and may have an affect on timing and availability. I actually have new Rufio ramp decals that I am willing to reproduce at low cost primarily to cover expenses since he doesn't do decals with his ramps.

I have already purchased and received the Whirlwind lift ramp, a Wabac ramp for R&B, a DE Star Trek Subway ramp and a Hurricane center ramp. His ramps are excellent quality and improved over original design flaws.

Show him your support because Starship Fantasy isn't going to get around to any of the low production volume ramps for "decades". I know someone in Australia is making ramps for Williams games but I only see them pop up on eBay occasionally. Mark is single-handedly helping to keep these machines in better than just playable condition.

Thanks

Shawn

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from ChriX:

A bit of feedback, for the croc time mode (which is now much improved), the lights at the ramp do not continue to flash after the initial intro light show. I've had players comment that they understand the hurry up style music and the value countdown but had no idea what they should be shooting for as nothing was flashing. I'm assuming this is not just my machine doing this... but let me know.

Yep that happens on my machine too chrix. Similarly in AM/PM time mode (when the clocks do remain lit) it would be great if it indicated that the Clock shop VUK is a valid target too.

The other thing I'm not sure has changed is when you get a "Try Again" no shooter lane target is lit. So can wizz it around Ruffio to light a Clock. Wasn't sure if before you got another shooter lane target to go for?

With all this extra play I've noticed the crack of doom starting on my Rufio
WP_20170203_09_55_08_Raw (resized).jpg

#796 2 years ago

Mark (FreePlay40) asked me to send him my good condition Rufio ramp for reproduction. I know the interest is here, so if you haven't already done so, go over to his ramp feed and let him know you are interested in one if he produces them. That will allow him to gauge real interest and may have an affect on timing and availability. I actually have new Rufio ramp decals that I am willing to reproduce at low cost primarily to cover expenses since he doesn't do decals with his ramps.
I have already purchased and received the Whirlwind lift ramp, a Wabac ramp for R&B, a DE Star Trek Subway ramp and a Hurricane center ramp. His ramps are excellent quality and improved over original design flaws.
Show him your support because Starship Fantasy isn't going to get around to any of the low production volume ramps for "decades". I know someone in Australia is making ramps for Williams games but I only see them pop up on eBay occasionally. Mark is single-handedly helping to keep these machines in better than just playable condition.
Thanks
Shawn

That's awesome Shawn, glad to hear it. Anyone interested, here's the latest post that he'll likely be able to do it - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/24#post-3577115

He also stated once he gets his larger machine, he'd look into the skillshot ramp as well.

#797 2 years ago

Thanks
Shawn

Awesome News. Shawn do you think there is any possibility he will reproduce the others also?

#798 2 years ago

I don't think anyone has asked for the windcoaster since they still pop up occasionally. I've got a good skill shot for him to create a mold with as well, but he has to get his new machine up and running before he can do that length.

#799 2 years ago

Just got in my complete set of plastics from vbobrusev and overall, I am impressed and happy. I am going through the process now of switching a few out. The Peter Pan book one in the back left is missing the little dangling bit and the colors are off on the plastic over the Ruffio ramp (Bob mentioned a few are off), but everything else looks pretty spot on. Shipping was very quick from the Russian Federation, so all in all, this was a good transaction.

#800 2 years ago
Quoted from astyy:

With all this extra play I've noticed the crack of doom starting on my Rufio

Shawn and I have had a couple exchanges concern the Rufio ramp and how it differs from the MNF ramp. Clearly they put a little more metal into the MNF ramp and I will likely do the same for the Rufio ramp. We'll also extend the metal back to the entrance edges for more protection. Once I've got the metal for the new ramp designed I'll probably add the same new metal pieces to Shawn's loaned ramp. The new metal will cover most of that crack (His had the same crack) and I will then cement the back side of the crack with a clear acrylic cement. I use this stuff a lot...

amazon.com link »

Works with most plastics. Thicker than syrup and sets up in about 10 minutes. Available at a lot of hardware stores or certainly at a retail plastic store.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
2,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vail, AZ
2,520 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
York, PENNSYLVANIA
There are 1829 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 37.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside