Topic Stats

• 1,639 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 434 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg
pirate town (resized).jpg
20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg
20181112_122154 (resized).jpg
20181112_121519 (resized).jpg
20181112_121316 (resized).jpg
20181109_122528 (resized).jpg
20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg
20181109_120516 (resized).jpg
54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg
C7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpeg
C1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 1639 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 33.
#551 2 years ago

Hi sibi, that's interesting the art on the front of your cab doesn't have the black smudge under the Crocs mouth - compare with mine below, I'm not sure whether this was a painting error or supposed to be a shadow of his mouth.

WP_20151004_08_30_30_Pro_(resized).jpg

#552 2 years ago

I done decals for cabinet, there is some pictures in restauration part of forum. Im prety shure thet there was not thet black mark on my box, but in must check scan picture to be sure.

#553 2 years ago

I see, haven't seen decals before on a Hook.

Most I've seen have the mark, there is an article online where the guy makes a nice job of painting it out;
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/cabinet/116-cabinet-touch-up-paint-hook

I'm going with the Croc mouth shadow theory and living with it

#554 2 years ago

That looks like part of Paul Faris's original pencil style artwork, not a solid smudge or damage mark.

#555 2 years ago

Now i remember.
Cabinet thet i scan was so badly damage thet i think thet black point was damage.
Spent whole day making that part....lol

#556 2 years ago

Yeah. I just checked mine and it has that shadow there. So it's stock

#557 2 years ago

It's stock.

Scan0037_(resized).jpg

My mistake, but i will leave it this way for now.
Never have chance see to hook in real, i hope you will forgive me.
Its a little disappointment to see that i waste so lot of time making a mistake.

Hook was completely damage when i start with it, but only hook that i can find here.
-bottom side of head was missing, have to make new
-paint from box was getting down, so i scan it and make decals, that was only way
-all metal parts under the playfield was rusty
-power board was missing, display not working, cpu board have demage PIA, almost all transistor on ppb was in short
-playfield was dirty but in nice condition

Today it work perfectly and play perfectly.
missing some plastic, but i hope i will find it some day.

I will try not to look down when push start button

#558 2 years ago
Quoted from sibi:

Now i remember.
Cabinet thet i scan was so badly damage thet i think thet black point was damage.
Spent whole day making that part....lol

image_(resized).jpeg

#559 2 years ago

Well you weren't the only one, the guy on pinballrehab must have gone to some effort painting it out. That article had me convinced it was an error but now I look at it again it matches the shadow under the Croc too.

1 week later
#560 2 years ago

What's the news on the new code by Chad? I haven't read this thread before so maybe someone can fill me in.

#561 2 years ago

Rumor is that it is a patch that fixes a whole bunch of bugs, balances out scoring, opens up new shots, fixes ball save, adds tournament mode, adds in unused voice calls and music cues, and generally makes the game much more fun.

#562 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:What's the news on the new code by Chad? I haven't read this thread before so maybe someone can fill me in.

I see you have taken an interest.....well....you're in luck. See you Sunday.

#563 2 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Uh oh. Does this mean that my favorite secret podcast won't have an in depth updated Hook review after it's released?

#564 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Uh oh. Does this mean that my favorite secret podcast won't have an in depth updated Hook review after it's released?

So you're saying it's (the code update) going to be released this weekend?

#565 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

So you're saying it's (the code update) going to be released this weekend?

I'm saying it sounds like he is selling his game before he has a chance to enjoy the update.

#566 2 years ago

Come on guys. Big things coming this game's way...... don't remind me about it.....GOD!@!@! And I thought the move to get a WOZ was a good one. Now I am having seller's remorse. The good news is.....well there is no good news. I lose Well there are two in Cleveland, so I may have to make a trip up there special to do an episode. Good comprise?

#567 2 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Good comprise?

I'm just razzing you...

Your Hook podcast was the first thing that helped me to start to understand the games rules. Was looking forward to a possible follow up podcast after all is said and done. I'm sure you'll find one to play eventually.

Enjoy the WOZ!

#568 2 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

I'm so interested I just watched the movie on Amazon. It will be interesting to play this and see the correct references.

We may be able to work something out after you get WOZ.

Also, what's the secret podcast?

#569 2 years ago

Is dmbjunky going to end up with the Hook I owned?

I bought it from a guy in Louisville, and later traded it to a different guy in Louisville who traded it to agodfrey who contacted me based on pics in the first post here to confirm if it was mine.

It's been interesting keeping track of it even though I didn't intend to. Maybe I'll get it back some day.

#570 2 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Is dmbjunky going to end up with the Hook I owned?
I bought it from a guy in Louisville, and later traded it to a different guy in Louisville who traded it to agodfrey who contacted me based on pics in the first post here to confirm if it was mine.
It's been interesting keeping track of it even though I didn't intend to. Maybe I'll get it back some day.

Did you ever make the mods you were thinking of in the beginning?

I think it would be cool to have a gator clock toy somewhere that could count along with it's mode.

#571 2 years ago

I'll tune back in from time to time. But...my membership is officially revoked. Bye dudes!

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Did you ever make the mods you were thinking of in the beginning?
I think it would be cool to have a gator clock toy somewhere that could count along with it's mode.

No, and I have absolutely zero motivation now that I don't own the game anymore.

#573 2 years ago

Is the flipper gap abnormally large on this game? It seems bigger than BSD with lightning flippers.

#574 2 years ago

So tonight I played 5 or 6 games and on ball 3 the skill shot always wanted hole 3 for a extra ball. Is that normal? Last night the skill shot asked for hole one once. I thought I heard that was kind of rare.

#575 2 years ago

It's normal if your score is poor

#576 2 years ago

Interesting point on what I like to call the "pity extra ball." What does everyone think about the score threshold for this? It will have to be updated once the balance changes take effect, or else you will never see it.

#577 2 years ago

Instead of being a pity ball how about just making it appear a random 10% of the time. Same with skill shot 1.

#578 2 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Instead of being a pity ball how about just making it appear a random 10% of the time. Same with skill shot 1.

I don't like the idea of getting an extra ball randomly just with a skill shot. I know with some games you get random extra balls with a mystery hole but I still like to work for my extra balls. bu-dum-tsss

#579 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Interesting point on what I like to call the "pity extra ball." What does everyone think about the score threshold for this? It will have to be updated once the balance changes take effect, or else you will never see it.

The pity Multiball is not based on score... it's based on how many Weapon Targets you spotted (or didn't spot) by the time you get to Ball 3.

#580 2 years ago

Perhaps I'm imagining it but if I miss the 'pity extra ball' skill shot 3 (last ball 5 on my setup) then it offers me the Pirate Town extra ball attempt shortly thereafter.

I think I've only see the 'pity multiball' skill shot 1 lit once in the year I've owned Hook.

Nice terminology Crash

#581 2 years ago

I kind of wish the beginning music was used in other places. It's a cool piece of music. Also does anyone else think the call outs aren't from the movie? They sound rerecorded with different people. Except Tootles. He sounds like the actor from the movie.

#582 2 years ago

I've jumped in here and not introduced myself to Hook Club.

I bought a Hook project, my first DMD game March 2015. It had water damage around the back and a few electronic faults.

WP_20150317_21_44_02_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_23_35_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150318_18_24_16_Pro_(resized).jpg

Fortunately Pete 'Best Hook in the World' B was restoring his at the same time and gave me a lot of advice. I repaired the water damage and repainted the cabinet sorted the rusty metal and it came up pretty nice for a first attempt.

WP_20150923_10_07_17_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20150927_17_51_00_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_08_30_30_Pro_(resized).jpg

The playfield was dirty but nice underneath. So just a strip down clean and some new sling covers with bright red coats.

WP_20151202_20_02_24_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20151004_12_16_51_Pro_(resized).jpgWP_20160412_14_55_16_Pro_(resized).jpg

All electronic faults sorted and it went to a Pinball show in October 15 for 600 plays.

My latest project is a Vector which was pretty much a basket case when I started.

WP_20151004_13_53_14_Pro_(resized).jpg

#583 2 years ago

I think we're talking about 2 different awards. The extra ball appears during the skill shot on ball 3. The multiball, if I remember correctly, also appears at the start of a ball.

#584 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Also does anyone else think the call outs aren't from the movie? They sound rerecorded with different people. Except Tootles. He sounds like the actor from the movie.

I believe all the actors are original, but most of the speech is custom. Which begs the question, had anyone considered doing a PinSound project for Hook?

#585 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I think we're talking about 2 different awards. The extra ball appears during the skill shot on ball 3. The multiball, if I remember correctly, also appears at the start of a ball.

The skill shot Extra Ball (top hole) and skill shot Pity Multiball (bottom hole) will only ever appear on your last ball (Ball 3 if your game is set to 3 balls, Ball 5 is your game is set to 5 balls).

Also, Pirate Award will only ever appear on the last ball also.

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I believe all the actors are original, but most of the speech is custom. Which begs the question, had anyone considered doing a PinSound project for Hook?

Hook sounds like Dustin Hoffman as well as Tootles but like generic child actor saying to hit the ramp doesn't sound like anyone from the film. I also don't hear any Robin Williams in the callouts.

Quoted from ChadH:

The skill shot Extra Ball (top hole) and skill shot Pity Multiball (bottom hole) will only ever appear on your last ball (Ball 3 if your game is set to 3 balls, Ball 5 is your game is set to 5 balls).
Also, Pirate Award will only ever appear on the last ball also.

Is there already or will you be making a tournament mode or Rom to take out all of the randomness?

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is there already or will you be making a tournament mode or Rom to take out all of the randomness?

Tournament Mode is coming to a Hook near you.

#588 2 years ago

What are some strategies for high scores?

#589 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What are some strategies for high scores?

We don't know yet.

#590 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Hook sounds like Dustin Hoffman as well as Tootles but like generic child actor saying to hit the ramp doesn't sound like anyone from the film. I also don't hear any Robin Williams in the callouts.

Quotes like "Fly up the ramp" and "Try again" sound like Tinkerbell from the movie to me. Peter sounds like Robin Williams as well. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to the voices?

#591 2 years ago

oops

#592 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Quotes like "Fly up the ramp" and "Try again" sound like Tinkerbell from the movie to me. Peter sounds like Robin Williams as well. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention to the voices?

It's not that big of a deal but I noticed they didn't use any likenesses in the art and wondered if they were limited with sounds as well.

#593 2 years ago

So, I finally got the angle right on my playfield to speed up the game at least to where it's designed to be and now my drains are worse than ever coming from the power scoop. I know the new code from Chad will help, but I also want this to work better. I've removed it, cleaned it, replaced the coil sleeve, replaced the arm, and ensured everything is tight on reinstall and problem persists. Any recommendations? Only thing I can think is replace the coil and consider purchasing a more powerful one if I do. It drains 50%, just catches the edge of the left flipper 20%, and goes to better spot on left flipper or to left slingshot 30% of the time.

#594 2 years ago

If I rewax the playfield, it's better for about a week.

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Only thing I can think is replace the coil and consider purchasing a more powerful one if I do.

Have you confirmed that you have the proper coil in your game?

Also, what about Adjustment 36 (Coils Pulse)? How is yours set? Maybe change it to Hard and see if that helps.

#596 2 years ago

I'll double check that the coil is correct. I tried the adjustment and didn't see any improvement, which makes me think a stronger coil may not be the answer. I'd like to replace the power scoop itself, but can't find one online.

#597 2 years ago

Is the power scoop the right scoop or the skull scoop?

#598 2 years ago

Can you do like what I did on my Ghostbusters? The left saucer was shooting down the drain 10-20% of the time, and that side doesn't have a ball save. I tried upping the strength and that wasn't all that successful. I tried reducing it and found that at the proper level, it delivers the ball just in front of the sling most of the time and you can cradle trap the ball like the left flipper on Whirlwind or the right one on Addams.

Short version: See where the ball goes on lower power too.

#599 2 years ago

The skull feeds to the power scoop on the right

#600 2 years ago

Haven't tried the lower power. I wish you could adjust the power to just one coil. I don't want to slow down the rest of the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 15.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
$ 275.00
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 299.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 15.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 15.00
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Boards
PinSound
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
£ 32.00
There are 1639 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside