Topic Stats

• 1,640 posts
  • 146 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 435 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6F3B7DA6-D5CF-4414-A7E4-62291A6ED0F5 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
1CAB282C-CD94-4BAF-99CE-B5E8BA69E0D7 (resized).jpeg
pirate town (resized).jpg
20181122_143914 (resized).jpg
20181122_143937 (resized).jpg
20181112_122154 (resized).jpg
20181112_121519 (resized).jpg
20181112_121316 (resized).jpg
20181109_122528 (resized).jpg
20181109_121944_001 (resized).jpg
20181109_120516 (resized).jpg
54C00EB1-482C-4D51-8D12-4E5BCD5CBCAF (resized).jpeg
C7EA6ADD-6D3F-4E45-99AC-7A7CB1903692 (resized).jpeg
C1378DD0-D918-404C-AC93-23EBC0B5EF13 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 1640 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 33.
#451 2 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

What do you all think about the Skull shot?
This shot currently serves these purposes:
1) It will spot a Top Lane (to help build your Bonus Multiplier)
2) If the Right Scoop is not lit, it will relight the Right Scoop.
3) It collects the 20 Million Skull shot during that mode.
4) It collects Extra Ball when lit.
5) It is one of several shots you can shoot during Bangarang to build the Bangarang bonus.
Does this seem to be enough? Should it do anything else?

Ever thought of putting the right scoop on a timer? Maybe turn it into something like Bride of Pinbot's left lane, light more valuable modes/awards if you can make the skull/scoop in sequence quick enough within a certain amount of time? That's one way to add a little more focus to the skull. Shoot the skull to light the right scoop. If you dont shoot the scoop or the skull again within 30/45 seconds the scoop is no longer lit. Another comparison would be the ramps on your custom TFTC. The skull can be the left ramp and the right scoop can be the right ramp. IMO this would make sense from a shot difficulty point of view as although the skull can be a bit risky being above the flipper gap, it's easier to shoot than the right scoop. This would make things more interesting than just skull/scoop/skull/scoop and add a risk/reward factor.

#452 2 years ago

I'm confused, do you have the ability to change the game roms or something?

#453 2 years ago
Quoted from gdogfunk:

I'm confused, do you have the ability to change the game roms or something?

Chad has magical powers. The end result will be a lot of very happy Hook owners.

Yes, ROMs will be available at some point.

#454 2 years ago

I have always thought that starting multiball is way too easy - maybe the skull shot could be incorporated into starting multiball, or part of multiball? - I am not the most creative mind out there unfortunately..

#455 2 years ago

I would like to think there are other things that spot the weapons targets to qualify multiball like in Jurassic Park. I do agree it's a bit easy.

#456 2 years ago

Figured out my stupid rope light problem. I pulled my MPU board to reflow the battery holder that I must have done a bad job installing (because it started telling me to open the coin door again), and while I had the board out, I noticed a shorted connection that was combining 2 of the outputs such that if either one was on, they were both on. Now it's all fixed. Hopefully, there isn't some problem that is actually draining my batteries too quickly.

#457 2 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Figured out my stupid rope light problem. I pulled my MPU board to reflow the battery holder that I must have done a bad job installing (because it started telling me to open the coin door again), and while I had the board out, I noticed a shorted connection that was combining 2 of the outputs such that if either one was on, they were both on. Now it's all fixed. Hopefully, there isn't some problem that is actually draining my batteries too quickly.

Time to upgrade to NVRAM. It is as easy as pull the old RAM out of the IC socket and install the new NVRAM.

#458 2 years ago

And don't forget to remove the batteries.

#459 2 years ago

Thanks, I'll look into that.

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

And don't forget to remove the batteries.

Oh yeah. Forgot to state that since that is the point of installing NVRAM.

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I would like to think there are other things that spot the weapons targets to qualify multiball like in Jurassic Park.

I paid attention to the weapon targets and the only thing I see that spots them is plunging at the beginning of a new ball. You can hit or miss the skill shot and it spots one target.

Funny thing about these though, when you start the game you have the bottom insert flashing on all three banks. If you hit the bottom one it turns solid and the center insert flashes. If you hit the center one it turns solid and the top one flashes. If you hit the top one it turns solid and completes the bank. However, if you hit them out of order it gets confusing. For example, start a game and hit the top target of any one bank. The top insert goes solid and the bottom remains flashing as expected. Hit the center next, then the bottom one last. The center then goes from solid to flashing, misleading the player into thinking the center target had been collected, but it hasn't. I agree with the need to hit them in order, but the way the game presents progress of this is misleading. It would be better if any targets hit out of order are not lit at all.

Also, when the ball lands under the shooter ramp sometimes the kicker will fire too soon and miss it. Often the ball will bounce up about half an inch and settle down again. There should be a timer on this kicker to allow the ball to settle. It happens more going backwards out of the jet bumpers.

#462 2 years ago

That weapon target behavior is completely unfamiliar to me - mine light when hit, in whatever order. Also, the VUK spots a weapon target.

#463 2 years ago

Very strange. What version of the code are you running? I am on 4.08.

#464 2 years ago

I just put in a 4.08 ROM a couple weeks ago. I'm positive about the VUK spotting a weapon, but I'll double-check the blinking and lighting tonight.

#465 2 years ago

Mine also lights a weapon target hit in any order - and for the first multi ball, the vuk lights a target. ( which also makes multiball even easier to get)

#466 2 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

That weapon target behavior is completely unfamiliar to me - mine light when hit, in whatever order. Also, the VUK spots a weapon target.

Same here. Also, one is spotted at the start of each ball (I think this spotting may stop after first Multiball).

#467 2 years ago

By the way, in 4.08, the VUK always spots a weapon before the first multiball. After the first multiball, the VUK will only spot a weapon if the Right Return Lane light (labeled "Return To Clock Room Spots Target") is lit... I'll bet most of you didn't even realize there was a light there.

#468 2 years ago

Thoughts on these Right Scoop Awards???

LITE BUMPERS
ORIGINAL: Timer is 20 seconds. All pop bumpers are worth 500,000.
UPDATE: Timer is 30 seconds. All pop bumpers are worth 1M.

5 MIL
ORIGINAL: Collect 5M immediately once.
UPDATE: Collect 5M immediately and every time you make Right Scoop Mystery Shot for remainder of game or until Bangarang.

LITE CROC TIME
ORIGINAL: Countdown bonus starts at 15M and ends at 10M. Shoot Right Ramp to collect.
UPDATE: Countdown bonus starts at 25M and ends at 5M. Shoot Right Ramp to collect.

FAST SCORING
ORIGINAL: Timer is 15 seconds. Bonus starts at 2M. All switches add 500,000 to bonus.
UPDATE: Timer is 20 seconds. Bonus starts at 2M. All switches add 500,000 to bonus.

SKULL 20 MIL
ORIGINAL: Timer is 10 seconds. Shoot Skull for 20M.
UPDATE: Timer is 15 seconds. Shoot Skull for 20M.

MAX 'X'
ORIGINAL: Set Bonus Multiplier to 10X and Bonus Hold.
UPDATE: No Change.

BANGARANG (available after collecting the six awards above)
ORIGINAL: Timer is 19 seconds. Bangarang bonus starts at 5M. Each shot to Right Ramp or Skull will increase by Bangarang Bonus by 5M.
UPDATE: Timer is 25 seconds. Bangarang bonus starts at 5M. Each shot to Right Ramp, Skull, Left Ramp, Strike, or VUK will increase Bangarang Bonus by 5M.

#469 2 years ago

This sounds much better to play. The timers are too short since they start before you even get a chance to score and scoring in general is so hard in this game. I don't have any idea how the default high scores are so high.

#470 2 years ago

The scores are high bc they are world records....hahahha (sigh)

#471 2 years ago

Timers sound perfect. Scoring makes so much more sense. I can't wait for this code. My DESW with new code and patch is a blast to play now. I use to just look at that game, now I play the snot out of it. Might even get a JP now and it was never even on my radar... Thanks Chad

#472 2 years ago

Finally got mine all back and running. Had to upgrade the ROM (I had 4.04), got it shopped out, put in LEDs, mirrored blades, and a sweet new red dmd from Boston Pinball company. Game plays better now than when I bough it in '99.

IMG_0555_(resized).JPG

#473 2 years ago

How are you liking the new Boston DMD? Do you see any gridlines or does it look like all one module?

#474 2 years ago

I am liking it so far. I need some more time with it since we just got everything sorted out today but the red is definitely killer. It looks like one module so far. I am trying to determine if one area is a little lighter than another. I am going to play with the jumpers to make th screen darker in color.

#475 2 years ago

@ Chad - I was just reading on another older hook thread some guy mentioned that it would be nice if the rope light was only lit during certain features - I actually think it's a good idea if at all possible? As an example when you hitting ramp jackpots etc.
I'm liking all the rule suggestions so far.

@ DBLM - machine looks great - I'm seriously considering a Boston dmd with red filter after seeing yours. Mines outgassing slightly and need to upgrade!

#476 2 years ago
Quoted from Benobutton:

@ Chad - I was just reading on another older hook thread some guy mentioned that it would be nice if the rope light was only lit during certain features - I actually think it's a good idea if at all possible? As an example when you hitting ramp jackpots etc.
I'm liking all the rule suggestions so far.
@ DBLM - machine looks great - I'm seriously considering a Boston dmd with red filter after seeing yours. Mines outgassing slightly and need to upgrade!

Mine was out gassing as well. Really do like the red dmd.

We had a weird problem on mine that I will share. I bought the latest rom (4.08) and I bought a new display rom as well because I seriously bent some prongs on it. When I installed ever thin using my old dmd, my pinball started to not work right. The dmd started messing up, balls would not launch, etc. Got the repairman here and he checked everything. Finally, we put the old display rom back in the new dmd and everything worked. For whatever reason, the new display rom was interferring with the software. Nether one of us had ever seen an issue like that. Chalk it up to gremlins. Works like a champ now.

1 week later
#477 2 years ago

I wanted to see which version of code people are running. Ever since I bought the game, I had a 4.04 ROM in there and everything seemed to work great. When I started working on it, I bought a 4.08 ROM and saw some weird scoring things and have had a couple multiball attempts mess up (lock the ball and before I could shoot the ball in the skill shot multi ball would start). I switched back to the 4.04 ROM and things are working much better. Has anybody else had this experience?

Thanks,

--Matt

#478 2 years ago

You may have a bad 4.08 ROM. I would stick with 4.04 until Chad can send you the new chip.

#479 2 years ago

Good suggestion. I had bought the 4.08 from Marco.

Matt

#480 2 years ago

Really excited for this update. Do you think this will be ready by the end of the year

#481 2 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Really excited for this update.

Me too. I am really happy with how this is turning out!

Quoted from agodfrey:

Do you think this will be ready by the end of the year

Yes. Hopefully much sooner.

#482 2 years ago

Question for all you Hook players.

The Right Ramp AM/PM shot that starts the Shoot Clocks countdown... Do you feel this is started too much and too easily? I think it is activated way too much and almost makes it annoying.

Star Wars had the same issue with the Lite C-3PO Eyes where you shot once to light the left eye and the second shot would light the right eye AND start the mode. This meant that every two shots to that C-3PO Eyes would start the mode. It made it annoying to have it starting so much. So what I did was a I made it so the first shot would light the left eye and the second shot would light the right eye and then the THIRD shot would start the mode. This made that mode play less but the balance felt right.

I feel that Hook needs this same treatment. I am considering making it so the first Right Ramp shot lights AM... and then the second Right Ramp shot lights PM... and then the THIRD Right Ramp Shot starts the Shoot Clocks countdown mode. Sound right?

#483 2 years ago

I can't make the right ramp shot to save my life, so I've got no additional comment.

#484 2 years ago

Chad once again I think your suggestion is spot on. I wish I had room for some input of my own, but this would be perfect. "Shoot twice lites croc time." Then shoot the ramp a third time to start it. Given the way it's worded on the playfield it seems like this is the original intent. You would expect the mode to be lit, not start. Just have both inserts lit solid until the mode starts.

#485 2 years ago

I found an old comment about Hook from Keith Johnson... concerning the Right Ramp Croc Clock he said "it's pretty much the only points available in the game" and also "Shoot the right ramp twice to start it, then every right ramp shot scores 5M. After it times out, repeat forever."

So this has now been addressed. It now takes three shots to start. You still get 5M added to Croc Clock Bonus for starting the mode but each Right Ramp and VUK shot now only adds 3M to Croc Clock Bonus.

This change along with many other scoring and feature changes in the game should make Keith change his mind if he ever plays this new update.

BTW, when you light both AM and PM, I added in the Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock sound effect as it shows the AM/PM video... and when you start the mode or increase the jackpot by hitting Right Ramp or VUK, it now plays a Clock Chime sound effect.

#486 2 years ago

Very nice!

#487 2 years ago

This is sounding awesome, Chad! Appreciate all of your hard work on this.

#488 2 years ago

Chad, I've noticed that sometimes when the right scoop tosses an unplayable ball straight down the drain, it lets you shoot again and other times it doesn't. My scoop is erratic and throws right down the drain about 30% of the time even after I cleaned it and put a new sleeve in the coil. I doubt this was the intended design but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Is it possible to make it always let you try again if the scoop drains it down the middle with no other sensors getting activated?

#489 2 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

Chad, I've noticed that sometimes when the right scoop tosses an unplayable ball straight down the drain, it lets you shoot again and other times it doesn't. My scoop is erratic and throws right down the drain about 30% of the time even after I cleaned it and put a new sleeve in the coil. I doubt this was the intended design but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Is it possible to make it always let you try again if the scoop drains it down the middle with no other sensors getting activated?

There is a really quick (1 second?) ball save timer activated when the ball is shot out of the Right Scoop. Plus the fact that sometimes it takes a second for the game to register that the ball has drained. Sounds like this leads to some inconsistencies with this ball save. I suppose I could make this timer a bit longer to catch more of the straight down the drain ejects... maybe 2 or 3 seconds?

My scoop eject never even comes close to going between the flippers. It usually hits right at the pivot point of the left flipper... sometimes even above the left flipper.

#490 2 years ago

Any idea as to what causes the drain delay? Happens on my game.

#491 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Any idea as to what causes the drain delay? Happens on my game.

I thought Chad said it right above? It is due to the ball not getting in the drain quick enough. It might bounce around before hitting the switch that tells the machine the ball drained. No grace period and only one second.

#492 2 years ago

Deleted.

#493 2 years ago

Thanks Chad,

I think the added time would help. In the meantime, I need to figure out why mine is so erratic.

#494 2 years ago

Post it in the marketplace, it's against the rules to share those here.

#495 2 years ago

It is posted in the Marketplace. I have deleted the post. I apologize for my malfeasance.

#496 2 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I thought Chad said it right above? It is due to the ball not getting in the drain quick enough. It might bounce around before hitting the switch that tells the machine the ball drained. No grace period and only one second.

No, this happens independently of the scoop ball save. In fact it happens if you don't shoot for the scoop at all. I haven't been able to determine a pattern, but sometimes it can be as long as 5 or 6 seconds before the game plays the end of ball sequence. I think the ball is returned to the trough first in all cases. Also, the ball does not get ejected when placed in the skull and right scoops during attract mode. I have to press start and let it do the pre-game ball search before this happens. The other two shots (under shooter lane ramp and clock shop kicker) do this as expected.

#497 2 years ago

Would anyone be sad if Adjustment 45 - Next Game Promotion was removed (only the adjustment, the next game promotion would be permanently ON) and instead renamed to Adjustment 45 - Tournament Mode? There are a couple random elements to the game I'd like to be able to turn off during tournament mode.

Mystery Award value would be locked at like 500,000 and the start of the Pirate Ship award would always be a set switch count on ball 3 and would always offer 10M. I think those are the only random elements in the game.

#498 2 years ago

Works for me

#499 2 years ago

As long as turning off attract mode keeps the sound from playing for LW3 then I'm fine with that. Otherwise, it created a problem if you have a pinsound card.

If attract mode is on when you have a pinsound card, it plays the last music when the game ends in an endless loop unless you set a sleep timer. But attract mode sounds including the LW3 promo reset the sleep timer. It's really a pinsound problem, but I can't find a solution other than killing attract mode.

#500 2 years ago

I've turned off next game promo, because I find the LW3 music kind of jarring, but I guess I could live with it because of all the other great stuff.

On the other hand, why not use Adjustment 39 - Ticket Dispenser? There can't be too many of those installed, can there?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 63.00
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 275.00
$ 15.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 15.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
There are 1640 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 33.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside