You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

014_(resized).jpg
013_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Can someone tell me the transistor responsible for the clock chaos flashers on hook? (there are 4 flashers on a black/violet daisy chain) I cant find it in the manual. I'm assuming it is the transistor but could be something grounded.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks but as I mentioned I cant find the info in the manual.

#4 8 years ago

Look on page 29 of the manual. I would check R-7 on the PPB board for cracked solder joints or a bad resistor first, then I would check Q40.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Look on page 29 of the manual. I would check R-7 on the PPB board for cracked solder joints or a bad resistor first, then I would check Q40.

Excellent. Thanks so much. I'm on it and will report back!

#6 8 years ago

Oh you did check the bulbs, RIGHT!!

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Oh you did check the bulbs, RIGHT!!

Yes of course

#8 8 years ago

Do you know what the wattage on the resistor would be? The manual says it is 1.50k. Q40 transistor is a p122. (pic shows q24 but all in that row are the same). Haven't heard of that before.

013_(resized).jpg013_(resized).jpg

014_(resized).jpg014_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

and i grounded the q40 and no flashers came on

#10 8 years ago

is that a tip 122 then?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

and i grounded the q40 and no flashers came on

All a TIP does is ground the side of the bulbs.. As your gorunding it did nothing, then a TIP is not where I would look.

Do you have 12vdc to the flashers, at the flashers?

Measure from ground to on side of each flasher and you should have 12vd.

Then if you ground the other side (not the 12vdc side) the bulbs should light up. That would indicate something on the driver board or interconnect.

#12 8 years ago

The Tip appears to test bad so we are replacing it now. We did not have 12 volts at any of the 4 bad flashers. You think replacing the tip will work?

#13 8 years ago

what is the interconnect?

#14 8 years ago

ok changes the transistor and flashers are still out

#15 8 years ago

have you checked the fuse for the 12v?

#16 8 years ago

The R-7 in your pic cant be the correct resistor. Now I'm not D/E know it all, but the resistor you are looking for is on a different board. It may be under the P/F near the bulbs. Your looking for a high wattage cement resistor.

#17 8 years ago

I didn't think that a transistor would fix it. As I said, the tranny usually just grounds the other side of the bulb but you need power to the bulb first.

You have no power to the bulb. You need to go upstream that way.

You either have a blown fuse, a broke resistor on the MRB or just a plain broken wire.

#18 8 years ago

If you look at the manual on page 2 it shows you where the PPB board is. This is in the back box, Your problem will be there.

#19 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated. Turns out that it was the Q40 transistor afterall. My flashers are back in action!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-4-flashers-are-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.