(Topic ID: 113055)

Honestly? Metallica Premium out of stock and not to be built anymore..

By frg

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

okay i knew that the licence of ac/dc would expire, but that there is no way to get a metallica premium - at least in europe - puh, that was a huge suprise.

including myself i know of at least two more friends of mine who would most probably order. they also thought, that there is no need to hurry

does anybody know, if another run will come up or if it is definitely over?

#2 9 years ago

I heard no more premium runs, but have seen nothing official.

#3 9 years ago

Check flippermarkt.de frg, i see them pass frequently there.

#4 9 years ago

This is the last metallica premium stern factory had. It was a big deal when they found it. I was told I was lucky that they had just 1 left. Then this happened...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-finally-arrivedand-left

Doesn't mean they won't make more but as of now this is what I was told.

#5 9 years ago

Better wait for the Vault edition then instead of buying the premium/LE's that pop up for sale on pin side.

#6 9 years ago

@ ggl - yes with some patience you can get any pinball machine
but after those super dimples on my st le, i started to install the playfield protectors on any new machine. so it would be nice to be able to do this als on a metallica, since it could be a keeper.

@ miguel - man, i feel sorry for you! did you already get the new cabinet version?

@ ff... - that's also what i heard... at least it's not official

@ centerflank - pro LED versions are still available, but i like the premium much more because at this time these machines make the best show in pinball even though the soundtrack itself is not my favorite and i do not like the ciu modes to be so rewarding... kind of unbalanced, but that's just my opinion.

maybe he licence is at the end because of the number they have already produced? so if they see the demand, they maybe negotiate about an extension of the licence...

so post here, to show them it was too early to stop producing metallica premiums!

#7 9 years ago

It's not being made any more... until they make some more.

#8 9 years ago

My best guess is they'll whip up a new art package and make another run

#9 9 years ago

The Garage Days Re-Revisited version.

#10 9 years ago

Kill em all premium

#11 9 years ago

A RTL Premium might tear money from my wallet...

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

My best guess is they'll whip up a new art package and make another run

That would be cool. But I wouldn't hold my breath for that. The Premium wasn't selling that hot, and that's why they stopped making it as far as I know. It doesn't really bode well for a "Luci" style comeback. AC/DC might be the only game that gets that, because the Premium for that one was actually a hot seller.

This is based on loose conversation with someone at Stern, and I could be wrong. But it wouldn't surprise me if they only made the LED Pro until sales or the license die off.

The Premium is bad ass, so it's a shame if that's true.

#13 9 years ago

It would be great if they made "Pro-mium". So that would be the Premium minus the hammer and 2 stage snake because they still have technical problems but keep the light show, spinners, proper playfield supports and everything else.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

It would be great if they made "Pro-mium". So that would be the Premium minus the hammer and 2 stage snake because they still have technical problems but keep the light show, spinners, proper playfield supports and everything else.

You know what the proper playfield supports are for extended position on a pro?

Coil brackets. It works. Just don't be mongoloid with it.

#15 9 years ago

On their website it says the pro's are sold out as well, but I'm sure there's some sitting around at distributors.

#16 9 years ago

Just picked up a Pro LED Thursday that was shipped directly from stern

Quoted from RonB:

On their website it says the pro's are sold out as well, but I'm sure there's some sitting around at distributors.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Huh? What technical problems does the snake have? Works great.

And the hammer issues are pretty much a non-issue with the latest code.

#18 9 years ago

I heard the same as aurich, premiums didn't sell as good as pros
I still haven't received mine yet btw. Stern just got it back 2-3 days ago

#19 9 years ago

This pin will be back as a vault edition.

Think layout wise this is the best stern ever. I am only a winning lottery away from owning 1. It is such a fantastic pin.

#20 9 years ago

I am sure FRG knowas all the german forums and knows how to get a NIB.
Did you ask Freddy ?!

#21 9 years ago

I bought a HUO Premium here in Europe in October... I was out to buy a NIB, but I got confirmed from almost all distributors and Stern themselves that they had stopped production for Premiums in August...

#22 9 years ago

I think the Pro LED version is kind of the "Vault Edition"... that one is available at tis time.
IM VE got just the LEDs (like Metallica Pro LED) and the new cabinet (Metallica already has this style)

The Pro LED version is not bad... but I want the full show... hammer, rising gravemarker, spinners, color changing LEDs,... especially the color changing leds and their gameplay integration are great.

It' not about the gameplay itself - just about the show!

Would be great, if Stern is going to release a special premium version like Luci. Even though sales might not have been to good, this would be a super opportunity for Stern to get a lot of potential premium buyers activted. Because now you know it... last chance

I am 100% in for a "whatever" premium Metallica!

1 month later
#23 9 years ago

Okay - Wrestlemania is coming up. I can tell you - there won't much interest in this machine in europe. theme is the main reason. But also the weakness of our currency, which lost around 20% is another show stopper (WM LE will be officially at 10k plus x).

And finally... a lot of nib buyers are really pi**ed off, because of the code support.

Still there is a demand for new machines! So a "luci-like" edition of Metallica would be most probably a hot seller! Good code, quite some demand in the second market, many people surprised that premiums are not available any more, money in the pocket which will not be used for Wrestlemania.

If Stern has no alternative, a lot of this money will go into the Hobbit (like mine)... Sad but true

#24 9 years ago

You guys did have a year and a half to buy this...

Just grab an le, they seem to be popping up for about the same price as nib was

#25 9 years ago

i was told by Trent that Stern plans to make more Pros in July...not sure about premiums.

#26 9 years ago

I think Metallica is popular enough that we'll see another run. Especially if they put out another code update.

#27 9 years ago

I'd love to see a "Luci" style Premium comeback, be great. But I just don't see it. ACDC got one because the Premium was such a good seller. Metallica Premium wasn't moving that well from what I've heard.

Great game, deserves more love.

#28 9 years ago

To be fair the premium exterior artwork wasn't the hottest. While I dig the metallica roadie style artwork I'm not sure if a lot of people would be that hot for a grey rather monotone style artwork

#29 9 years ago

But if the vault edition has the new Stern CPU, we won't be able to replace the songs like we can now...and that's a must for owning this game!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But if the vault edition has the new Stern CPU, we won't be able to replace the songs like we can now...and that's a must for owning this game!

If the Vault edition has the new SPIKE system it will feel and play like a different game. I've put about 7 plays on the new WWE game and can tell you that it doesn't feel or play like a traditional Stern game. The flippers feel completely different. They aren't as strong or snappy as traditional Stern flippers but feel more solid and consistent. At this point I'm not sure if I like them better or worse. The gameplay itself feels more like a 90's WPC game because of the flipper feel but it just felt strange playing a Stern game that didn't have that Stern "feel" to it. I think a lot of people are going to be in for a surprise once they play it. If they build old games using SPIKE it will be interesting to compare and see which feels better and is more fun to play.

As far as Metallica Premium goes it just makes too much sense not to make a Ride the Lightning Premium at some point in the near future. Dirty Donnie still seems to be doing side work with Stern and on good terms so it only makes sense to hire him to do some new side art/translite and sell a bunch more games. For me the current Premium isn't intriguing enough and the LE is too much to justify over getting a HUO Premium but I think a RTL Premium would be the perfect sweet spot for a lot of us collectors. Come on and do it Stern!

#31 9 years ago

Kill Em All premium is a must. One of the greatest debut albums in the history of recorded music.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If the Vault edition has the new SPIKE system it will feel and play like a different game. I've put about 7 plays on the new WWE game and can tell you that it doesn't feel or play like a traditional Stern game. The flippers feel completely different. They aren't as strong or snappy as traditional Stern flippers but feel more solid and consistent. At this point I'm not sure if I like them better or worse. The gameplay itself feels more like a 90's WPC game because of the flipper feel but it just felt strange playing a Stern game that didn't have that Stern "feel" to it. I think a lot of people are going to be in for a surprise once they play it. If they build old games using SPIKE it will be interesting to compare and see which feels better and is more fun to play.
As far as Metallica Premium goes it just makes too much sense not to make a Ride the Lightning Premium at some point in the near future. Dirty Donnie still seems to be doing side work with Stern and on good terms so it only makes sense to hire him to do some new side art/translite and sell a bunch more games. For me the current Premium isn't intriguing enough and the LE is too much to justify over getting a HUO Premium but I think a RTL Premium would be the perfect sweet spot for a lot of us collectors. Come on and do it Stern!

I wonder why they would use the SPIKE system on an "old" pinball machine? Sounds like a big investment for nothing.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

I wonder why they would use the SPIKE system on an "old" pinball machine? Sounds like a big investment for nothing.

Looks to me like costs are lower on the new system. Also, once they switch to the new system, maintaining an old one on the line would suck.

#34 9 years ago

I can say after just buying a Premium Metallica for a premium price, I will be bummed if they put out a cheaper new version. Sorry, but its true lol

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I can say after just buying a Premium Metallica for a premium price, I will be bummed if they put out a cheaper new version. Sorry, but its true lol

Cheaper !? That will never happen !!!

#36 9 years ago

Ditto the above!!!

For WWE IMO Stern took out at least $1500 dollars (retail) in PCB's, Transformers & Wiring & not a single pennies drop in their price.
I know they have a lot of money tied up in R & D for the new System but that should be on Stern's nickel and not on the backs of its loyal customers.
NOTHING (IMHO) in the TWD-LE warrants its higher cost over the Premium - only difference is the Decals and the faux "Backglass" not enough for the difference in their respective costs & sadly we bought an LE.
Premium MSRP $7495 vs LE @ $8595 - yes no one pays retail but that's Stern's numbers, still not worth the delta IMO.

If Gary hadn't misrepresented the facts (I'm hesitant to say lied) that there would be "No Premium TWD's" we would NEVER have bought an LE.

Just played WWE at a launch party on Friday & the Flippers flat out sucked !!
No flipper power whatsoever, next to impossible to make those steep Ramps.

Not sure if its the same issue that PPS initially had with MMR - actually running the 50V Flipper Circuit on 50V instead of 72V-78V or if its the new Dual-Wound Flipper Coils are simply not wound hot enough.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

You guys did have a year and a half to buy this...

Yes and no.... No because this pinball machine really was not worth buying before the updates in March/June '14, so it was less than half a year Actually I bought one late summer, but I gave it to a friend of mine, since i never would have thought of that run being the last one

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Just grab an le, they seem to be popping up for about the same price as nib was

Well yes - actually I was able to get an LE yesterday... price - I don't wanna talk about it

Still - can't believe Stern will not take the business opportunity to sell quite some premiums!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Just played WWE at a launch party on Friday & the Flippers flat out sucked !!
No flipper power whatsoever, next to impossible to make those steep Ramps.

Not sure if its the same issue that PPS initially had with MMR - actually running the 50V Flipper Circuit on 50V instead of 72V-78V or if its the new Dual-Wound Flipper Coils are simply not wound hot enough.

Are there strength adjustments in the menu? Wonder if they're not all the way up by default or were turned down on your sample game. It'd be mind boggling if a company that makes only pinball machines got the most important feature wrong. lol

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Are there strength adjustments in the menu? Wonder if they're not all the way up by default or were turned down on your sample game. It'd be mind boggling if a company that makes only pinball machines got the most important feature wrong. lol

There are adjustments for coil pulse strength but nothing specific to flippers in the WWE menu. The strength is adequate to play as you can still make all the shots but my preference would be to have them be snappier like Stern games traditionally are.

I also noticed that the flippers are setup to be droopier than flippers typically are. I'm guessing this is so the power band of the flipper is setup to make the outside shots stronger? The owner tried adjusting the flipper angle was supposed to be.-a straight line. And the ramp shots became more difficult to make.

#40 9 years ago

you'll never get an honest answer from some people. i'm not going to name names.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/honestly-metallica-premium-out-of-stock-and-not-to-be-built-anymore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.