Looking for opinions on fun ways to play pinball without owning a physical game!

(Topic ID: 205773)

Looking for opinions on fun ways to play pinball without owning a physical game!

By waspinat0r

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by jwilson
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8113 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7685 (resized).JPG
    81IEpGtwA6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    The-Return-of-Wallet-Chains-feature (resized).jpg
    7C94C949-4C98-413A-A597-C60C725495D5 (resized).jpeg
    5A78FF85-0D6B-4A60-ABEB-25A65C0174FE (resized).jpeg
    7D257864-FE1C-4F36-992D-DFC70EE9A502 (resized).png
    IMG_0704 (resized).PNG

This topic is closed.

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 10 months ago

Have you thought about routing a game? Buy a cheap game and put it on location. It might make you some pocket money, force you to keep the same pin for more than a few minutes and give you access to a game or two.

I've routed arcades for a while and just added pins. If you need any help with it, please feel free to send me a message.

Most importantly, be thankful for all you have. The vast majority would give anything to be in your position. Merry Christmas!

#102 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wifeinat0r:

That's not true! You're a ...UGH. I can't say anything. Because I don't want to get banned so I can stand up for you. Come upstairs so I can finish my comment. Waspitater.
    Also, thanks guys. I guess I feel so strongly because I've worked so so hard to build him up. You don't understand what a mere smile on his face does for my heart. I guess it's rather selfish, if you think about it. But I don't want him to ever experience sadness if I can help it. And I've done a damn good job at it. I can say that he's been truly sad a maybe twice or three times since I've met him. And I'd like to think that I help with that. This thread was one of those times. Which explains why I almost got banned. And idc. I'll cuss any one of y'all if it means he's smiling. Hahaha. Merry f-ing Christmas, bi*ches!

You’re a good wife. I could see my wife doing this and embarrassing me a little and making a bigger deal out of something said innocently or something said to try to hammer advice home. He’s a big boy. Don’t take things said too seriously on an anonymous message board, and remember the tone you read text in is probably harsher than the tone in the writer’s head. People have overall been nicer to him than the average anonymous stranger because his streaming with the family included has personalized this and helped put context behind his posts. Unfortunately most of us don’t have that same benefit in return from you guys. If any of us give advice and it seems harsh, just remember we wouldn’t bother if we didn’t genuinely want to help or cared.

#103 10 months ago

Location, location, location.

You need to search far and wide, and go on a location hunt. Everywhere I go, I keep a lookout for location machines. Soon enough you will start to see them even when you are not actively looking. It's called tasking your RAS.

Tasking your RAS: "When your subconscious mind becomes focused on something, you start to notice it wherever you go. This happens because of your reticular activating system (or “RAS”), complex and highly integrated networks of cells within the brainstem that help regulate your sleep-wake cycle, help you ignore/pay attention things that matter to you."

Good hunting!

#104 10 months ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Hey Brandon, even if you don't have that SG anymore, the offer I made to bring the fam up the road to hang and play a while is still open - actually it was never contingent on a possible trade, anyway. Any of my games up for sale would end up under $2K anyway. While I wholeheartedly endorse the prudent advice others have given you re: financial matters and priorities, in practice this has been hard advice for me to follow at times - possibly the one area in life where I might admit being hypocritical. So I'm not here to judge. And I only paid $1K for my Space Station (at Lou Expo 2 years ago no less) so hey: there's hope if nothing else!
    So look us up this week if things settle down. Otherwise start saving NOW because Louisville Expo is only 9 weeks away, it'll be here before you know it, and that will be a great local place to scratch the itch and find some leads!
    Best of luck to you...

Thanks so much. I fully intend on taking you up on that offer as soon as we can. And I'm excited for Lou expo for sure!

Quoted from PinballAir:

Is any of this for real?
    The letters under the "https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/wifeinat0r"
    Are ASS.

Trust me, she lives up to those initials.

Quoted from tamoore:

I buy what I want when I want it, and I don't think much about financial impact. I have lived to watch my mother pass on before getting to enjoy any of what she worked so hard for, so that might have played into the way I feel...
    I didn't have this attitude until after my children left the nest... but It is the attitude I have now. You can't take it with you, and the people you leave it to may not appreciate how difficult it was to accumulate.

One day I hope that I can have that attitude and live it, too. I'm sorry to read about your mother.

Quoted from Normscoffee:

Have you thought about routing a game? Buy a cheap game and put it on location. It might make you some pocket money, force you to keep the same pin for more than a few minutes and give you access to a game or two.
    I've routed arcades for a while and just added pins. If you need any help with it, please feel free to send me a message.
    Most importantly, be thankful for all you have. The vast majority would give anything to be in your position. Merry Christmas!

I don't live in an area with enough pinball interest to route, in my opinion. Thank you for reaching out though, if anything changes, i'll definitely pick your brain. And I'm always thankful, I came from a terrible childhood, so knowing that what little I have now I have because I've worked hard for it makes me very thankful.

Quoted from cosmicjim:

You’re a good wife. I could see my wife doing this and embarrassing me a little and making a bigger deal out of something said innocently or something said to try to hammer advice home. He’s a big boy. Don’t take things said too seriously on an anonymous message board, and remember the tone you read text in is probably harsher than the tone in the writer’s head. People have overall been nicer to him than the average anonymous stranger because his streaming with the family included has personalized this and helped put context behind his posts. Unfortunately most of us don’t have that same benefit in return from you guys. If any of us give advice and it seems harsh, just remember we wouldn’t bother if we didn’t genuinely want to help or cared.

She really is a good wife...she's also wayyyyy too protective and hot headed sometimes. But she knows where I come from, so maybe that makes her even more protective. I don't know, I won't presume to think I know her thoughts. (she's wacko)...(jk)

Quoted from PinSinner:

Location, location, location.
    You need to search far and wide, and go on a location hunt. Everywhere I go, I keep a lookout for location machines. Soon enough you will start to see them even when you are not actively looking. It's called tasking your RAS.
    Tasking your RAS: "When your subconscious mind becomes focused on something, you start to notice it wherever you go. This happens because of your reticular activating system (or “RAS”), complex and highly integrated networks of cells within the brainstem that help regulate your sleep-wake cycle, help you ignore/pay attention things that matter to you."
    Good hunting!

Thanks for the info. That's awesome. I've never even heard of the RAS, haha.

#105 10 months ago

I see no reason to criticize a fellow Pinball enthusiast.

Pinball is good fun. It doesn’t matter what your interests, there is plenty to offer. Perhaps you have made some decisions that cause you to loose money on some games etc. It’s no big deal. It’s your money. Sometimes losing money or small setbacks are the best lessons.

None of us are born smart with money or good at economics etc. It’s just a matter of going through life and figuring your preferences and tendencies. Sure, I’m over simplifying it and that’s okay in a friendly conversation.

I have said for many years that we all have the same problems regarding money, it’s just a matter of the number zeros behind the problem.

#106 10 months ago

Me real initials aren't ASS, but I figured I'd prepare people.

#107 10 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I have said for many years that we all have the same problems regarding money, it’s just a matter of the number zeros behind the problem.

Boy isn’t that the truth!

#108 10 months ago

Wasp I dont know you except for reading some of your threads.
    You seem like a nice guy with a cool wife who is just overly impulsive about buying and selling pinball machines. There are worse problems to have.
    I just chimed in to say I hope you end up with a game you enjoy enough to keep around for a while and that everything works out for you and the family. And Merry Christmas.

#109 10 months ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

This.
    My first pin cost me $150 and we had years of fun on it.
    You can get some great pins for only hundreds of bucks.
    Pinside sometimes seems like it’s all about new pins, but if you check the EM section there are dedicated pinheads who have garages full of pins for less than you paid for the GOT Pro.
    Same with Solid State Pins (77-85 era) Some real classics can still be had for under a grand. And they’ll make you a better player too, I guarantee it.
    Merry Xmas
    rd

Hell yes. Average purchase cost of a pin in my collection is about $165. Buying non-working EM's & early SS is the way to go IMHO.
    Lots of resources out there on repairing just about anything. So satisfying to fix one yourself!

#110 10 months ago

Deals like this are not on Pinside to be clear. They are on Facebook neighborhood selling groups and Craigslist. Make a craigslist alert and be willing to pounce instantly. You'll need a way to get some transport, so if you will always require delivery the odds for getting crazy deals are pretty much zero.

#111 10 months ago
    Quoted from waspinat0r:

I don't live in an area with enough pinball interest to route, in my opinion

There's ALWAYS a place to route pinball so long as you have a location with traffic and people waiting around. Truck stops are great because truckers are usually waiting around while their big tanks fill up, or they're ordering food and waiting for it. Hotels can also be a good location because often people are traveling with groups and don't have a rental car to explore the area. With that said, routing isn't as simple as throwing a pinball somewhere (there are many threads talking about this in depth). You have to negotiate split, you have to buy insurance, pay vendor tax, be on call when the pin breaks down (or gets a ball stuck, unless you trust the owner with keys to unstuck balls and not try to steal the cashbox).

#112 10 months ago

Merry Christmas wasp!! I hope you and your family have a great day!

#113 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wifeinat0r:

There really is no excuse for what you said. Try and justify it all you want, it was way out of line.

Let's agree to disagree. It's a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_behavior

Quoted from waspinat0r:

I haven't lost quite 5k, so if that's what I alluded to, 8 overexaggerated. Now, I have lost quite a bit, which still counts for something, and I won't deny my habit is becoming unhealthy and definitely problematic and unhealthy. Thanks for your input.

Well, recognizing it is very good - when I posted I was concerned you weren't really aware of a problem.

#114 10 months ago
    Quoted from waspinat0r:

Space Station is one of my favorite games. I need to find a $1,400 space station!

Maybe like $1800 now . My point is, try not to put yourself in debt over a hobby. I usually win or loose by a few hundred when I sell something. Usually loose.....ha. ..... But its all worth it to me as long as I don't take a bath every time and the wife isn't complaining. Merry Christmas

#115 10 months ago

I am well aware of what compulsive behavior is. I'm just telling you it's not your place to diagnose my husband in a public forum. It came across as judgemental and very rude. I agree that you were wrong for saying it.

#116 10 months ago

"Honest opinions, feel free to yell at me and call me dumb."

#117 10 months ago

Knew this was coming. You traded away new pins for older games that nearly everyone has owned before. Plus anyone needed to come to you which excluded lots of trade options.

Buy an Xbox and join an Xbox forum.

#118 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wifeinat0r:

I am well aware of what compulsive behavior is. I'm just telling you it's not your place to diagnose my husband in a public forum. It came across as judgemental and very rude. I agree that you were wrong for saying it.

It’s not like someone found your husband on the street and started giving him a hard time. He had started tons of threads asking a community for help, multiple threads saying it was ok to call him dumb and yell at him, so yes it is his place to voice his opinion about destructive behavior. Please don’t threaten to beat me up because I’m pointing this out to you.

#119 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wifeinat0r:

I told you that you were going to crap up this thread, woman. And here it comes. It's interesting to see when the good will stops and the hate begins, though. Even if it does include my over excitable, over protective wife(love you honey). It's also kind of interesting to see all the people who have sent me pms about 90% of the games that I've traded suddenly doing a 180 and pulling out pitchforks after telling me to let them know when I'm ready to move the next game.

Can we just stop now? If you want to be hateful, please, be hateful somewhere else. Constructive criticism and just being a jerk are two different things. My mental health really shouldn't be any of your concern. I didn't ask for therapy, I asked for advice on 3 things. If you want to quote me on things (like a lot of you seem to be doing with my thread title) to use as context, quote me on what I actually asked for help for instead of bandwagoning against me on another thread. I've legitimately had enough of that. Obviously my attempt at a funny title was taken terribly. I'm going to try to change that now, if that's possible.

Quoted from cosmicjim:

"Honest opinions, feel free to yell at me and call me dumb."

Okay.

Quoted from waspinat0r:

I wanted to ask for some opinions on some good ways to still play pinball until I can pay off a couple outstanding debts to a couple of folks and get another. I am by no means a rich man so it may be a while(hopefully not, but who knows, I've got another kid on the way so it is up to wifeinat0r ha.).
    How's the Pinbox 3000 + Gamechanger addons? I know these are super primitive and expensive for what they are, but so is pinball as a whole. Well, maybe not primitive. Either way, I was thinking this would be especially awesome for my son.
    Virtual Pinball? Opinions?
    And is there anything else I should look out for to get my quick fix? I'm hoping to not be out of the game longer than I need to be!

For anyone out there that are so turned off by my threads, at this point, please just ignore me and my posts. I can show you how to do that if you need help. I'm fine with criticism, but I'm concerned with the level of animosity and attack, even received at a PM level at this point. Enough is enough. I'll take my own advice and start ignoring at this point, I suppose. Even still, I'll repeat: Have a Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you guys are having an excellent day and you're having amazing family time.

For those of you offering your advice, whether it's tough love or just kind thoughts, I want you to know that I *REALLY* appreciate you taking the time out of your day to speak to and with me. I will say that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed though, and some of you know that. My wife included. Stop it, woman, I already know you love me and you feel the need to defend me..however... There's no need to fight on the internet! Ignore and call it a day. <3 (I'd walk upstairs to tell you this but I'm pretty lazy.)

#120 10 months ago

Is this what it feels like when doves cry?

#121 10 months ago

Imagination pinball?

#122 10 months ago

#123 10 months ago

#124 10 months ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

Get pinball arcade on one of the various platforms (ps4, pc, xb) and buy all the tables you would consider buying in real life.
    It's not like its the real thing, but it scratches the itch while you save cash and pay down the debts.

I agree with this 100%. I love playing Pinball Arcade on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. That would be my recommendation for those that don’t own a physical game.

#125 10 months ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

I agree with this 100%. I love playing Pinball Arcade on my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. That would be my recommendation for those that don’t own a physical game.

TPA is a lot of fun, but it just feels "off" playing with a PS4 controller or keyboard.

#126 10 months ago

Apparently I can't say anything right. Good luck with thread

#127 10 months ago
    Quoted from waspinat0r:

TPA is a lot of fun, but it just feels "off" playing with a PS4 controller or keyboard.

I agree which is why I much prefer playing on a large iPad using my thumbs to tap the screen and flip the flippers. By the way Pinball Arcade supports the native resolution of the 12.9 inch iPad Pro - 2732 x 2048 Pixels. It looks great.

#128 10 months ago
    Quoted from Wifeinat0r:

Since I was made to edit out my other comments, all I'll say is this;
    Wasp, stop asking for advice. This is what you get when you do that. Don't make threads that aren't for trading or selling machines. Don't open yourself up for criticism. Just believe in yourself and if you need help, you can always ask me. (Which you never have.)
    Never give someone else permission to call you names or verbally abuse you. And stop calling yourself names to make other people happy. You're the only person I know that will publicly call themselves names to make other people laugh. You're not a sideshow attraction. Get your shit together. I love you. I'd also recommend deleting this shit show thread too.

You do know that you can have this conversation in private at home instead of a public forum?

#129 10 months ago

I don't want to encourage you to buy more, but with something like this you get a much better experience. I have one, but also built one for myself for about 50 euro (just for Pinball). It is available with a PS4 adapter. It has buttons on the side for pinball.

https://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-included

#130 10 months ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

You do know that you can have this conversation in private at home instead of a public forum?

Obviously some people cannot and strive for the attention.

#131 10 months ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

I don't want to encourage you to buy more, but with something like this you get a much better experience. I have one, but also built one for myself for about 50 euro (just for Pinball). It is available with a PS4 adapter. It has buttons on the side for pinball.
    https://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-included

I've actually considered one of these several times, not just for Pinball Emulation, but for Arcade stuff as well, Seems like it would be a great time.

#132 10 months ago

I think some of the "innocent" bystanders should practice what they preach and ease up on the guy. It's Christmas Day for petes sake.

#133 10 months ago

Here's an option. Make me an offer.

IMG_8113 (resized).jpg

#134 10 months ago

Glad to see the wife is gone. Having husband and wife conversations on the forum, when they are literally sitting next to each other at home, was tacky and cringe worthy. It wasn't funny or cute, it was outright moronic.

#135 10 months ago
    Quoted from Russell:

Here's an option. Make me an offer.

That thing looks cool.

#136 10 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/icade-mini-cabinet-for-ipad

Here’s the original thread about these. They were made briefly several years ago. Very cool, best way to experience Pinball Arcade imho.

#137 10 months ago
    Quoted from Russell:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/icade-mini-cabinet-for-ipad
    Here’s the original thread about these. They were made briefly several years ago. Very cool, best way to experience Pinball Arcade imho.

Oh, cool, I'll check into them. I don't have an iPad to put into 'em, and I'm sure they can't play VPX, which makes me sad. Either way, It looks neat and TPA is fun under the right circumstances.

#138 10 months ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

Is this what it feels like when doves cry?

Amen! This thread ...smells of insincerity...

#139 10 months ago

Smells more like one of those meltdown blowout pinside exodus threads.

#140 10 months ago

Just keep doin what you're doin bro!

#141 10 months ago

Pinball Arcade UNDERGROUND
    This is not the standard Pinball Arcade package where you pay for tables or seasons.
    It is legally free, no hassle, non-ads, contains 22 classic arcade real machines, and is downloadable for Android or tablets.

People do not need to pay $5-9k for NIB pinball machines. Even HER (or referred to as HEP by some collectors) games have little meaning, unless a personal grail title. Many cases you can still get very good games for under $1k, although new owners don't like or want to believe old collectors, if a person is willing to do some work in tracking down what you want. Games don't come to you, you go to the games. It is incredibly monetarily wasteful to buy many new games in a short time without full personal upfront review, especially when a person is dumping titles in a short turnaround time. However, holding onto games does not result in huge losses, if maintenance is correctly performed routinely. Some games I have owned for nearly 30 years, others are simply 40-50 years old and have long past "bottomed out" on the market stage years ago, and regained significant value due to scarcity and quality of their condition. I have never been party for profit on these machines anyway when I do sell games, periodically.

If a person has a tendency to get bored quickly, discover other aspects of pinball such as restoration, construction, design, development, technical training, art, or history. These areas all cost significantly less than a brand new game (or directly "free" except in personal time) and allow a person to still be involved in the hobby.

If a person does not find their true calling in this hobby within 5-10 years, an individual will simply burn out like a shooting star and move on, if not sooner.
    "Owning to play games" is not the solution, never has been.
    Don't let it happen.

Keep flipping

#142 10 months ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

They love the attention. Isn't it obvious at this point? Sad really

#143 9 months ago
    Quoted from waspinat0r:

time in on tpa and vp.

stick with Visual pinball, TPA is ok but the physics are meh. at least in VP you can tweak the physics you don't agree with. its free and there is currently a bigger selection of tables being supported by a passionate community. The main thing TPA has going is it's much easier to get setup and you don't have to keep updating to get the latest and greatest.( probably does it for you)

The biggest issue with Virtual pinball as a whole is nudging. Still better then nothing, its probably one of the main reasons I'm in the hobby. You can get by with a cheap computer and play via keyboard, but it's obviously better setup in a cab. I mainly use it now to try to better understand rules to games.

not sure if they were listed yet, here are the main four sites the content comes from.
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/ (new tables not listed elsewhere from really good authors)
    http://www.vpforums.org/ (been around the longest, doesn't have modern sterns)
    http://vpuniverse.com/ (lot of backglass dwlds, and has the latest sam pinmame to play sterns)
    http://vpinball.com/ (This one is probably the best with the most content)

at any rate good luck.

#144 9 months ago
    Quoted from Wifeinat0r:

I'm just telling you it's not your place to diagnose my husband in a public forum. It came across as judgemental and very rude.

Then maybe you and he shouldn't air your problems in a public forum. You act like clowns and enjoy the attention, but the second someone says something you don't like you rage out? You can't pick and choose the response you get.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 8.40
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 20.00
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 449.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 40.00
    $ 26.95
    There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside