(Topic ID: 11732)

honest opinions and a price check on my pinball artwork please.

By the_pin_family

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    mo-money.jpg
    IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1476.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

Got this idea from some things I had around the house. I think im going to post it on ebay and see what i get. Maybe ill make some more. I havent figured out where im going to hang it yet but you get the idea.The backglass is mint and the shadow box is a very nice one. All the pinball parts are new and everything is still intact and able to be put on a machine. Id love to hear some opinions.

IMG_1476.JPGIMG_1476.JPG IMG_1478.jpgIMG_1478.jpg

#2 12 years ago

more

// Error: Image 19230 not found //

#3 12 years ago

more

IMG_1486.JPGIMG_1486.JPG

#4 12 years ago

more

IMG_1480.JPGIMG_1480.JPG

#5 12 years ago

Looks really good. The only thing that might make it better is if it lights up. Are you selling it?

#7 12 years ago

I like it. It's a cool BG to do this sort of thing with.

#8 12 years ago

I think there might be a market for it.

#9 12 years ago

To be honest though, I think I'd rather just have a framed BG.

#10 12 years ago

I would like it if their were some inserts lit up too!

#11 12 years ago

Im going to put it on ebay and see what it goes for. I wouldnt know what to ask for it. There probably about $600 in it depending on what value you stick on the BG. the shadow box alone cost me almost $175. Im considering putting lights in it. Im looking into my options. I tried some rope lights and christmas lights I had around here but didnt like them.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I think there might be a market for it.

I think there might be also. Custom orders and all.

#13 12 years ago

Nice job - looks good. The only thing that sticks out to me is that the 'slingshot' needs a cover - where's the plastic?

#14 12 years ago

I'd rather see the glass on a real machine. With that being said, the pop bumers, sling, and flipper looks out of place. It looks half done and thrown together. My honest opinion.

#15 12 years ago

From what I can see it's real nice. Hard to tell with the quality of the pics provided, which is pretty low and grainy (Not trying to be smart ass or anything).

Lights would make it better for sure, but increase your cost. Plus then you have a cord running out of a table. Easy if it's in a corner or new a rug but not always the easiest thing to hide.

EDIT: I actually like the asymmetry of it. The obvious thing is to make it completely uniform like a machine itself. Not that I would pump out a lot of asymmetrical ones though.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Nice job - looks good. The only thing that sticks out to me is that the 'slingshot' needs a cover - where's the plastic?

i thought about finding a sling shot plastic but I didnt want to much going on. Didnt want it to busy.

Quoted from jalpert:

I'd rather see the glass on a real machine. With that being said, the pop bumers, sling, and flipper looks out of place. It looks half done and thrown together. My honest opinion.

I actually put a lot of thought into it. Im not trying to recreate the playfield. I thought about it but thats not what i was going for. Im very happy with the way it turned out.

#17 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hard to tell with the quality of the pics provided, which is pretty low and grainy (Not trying to be smart ass or anything).

iphone camera. Its very hard to photograph. The glass dosent come off like a pin. With all the black its reflection city. Ill have to pull out the digital camera for the ebay pics.

#18 12 years ago

art speaks differently to everyone. i think you might be close to something here

#19 12 years ago

It looks like you did a great job but I would think you would get more interest in a back box recreation that you could hang on the wall with lights and maybe faux displays.

#20 12 years ago

I think it's REALLY cool! ...and you don't need a cord. Just some simple lights and a battery. (I'd put a plastic on it though...)

#21 12 years ago

Good idea, I also think it needs lights.

#22 12 years ago

If you have $600 into it, I doubt you'll get your money back. It' nice, don't get me wrong.

#23 12 years ago

Im going to post it on ebay tonight so we shall see. I didnt pay full price for anything so I def wont loose money. I just want to see what kind of interest there is.

Quoted from davewtf:

If you have $600 into it, I doubt you'll get your money back. It' nice, don't get me wrong.

#24 12 years ago

On to my next question. What BG would be great for this application? Any suggestions? Opinions? I appreciate all the constructive criticism from everyone. Sounds like the census is it should be symmetrical, look more like a playfield, have plastics,lights and possibly inserts. Theres always a learning curve and this is my first attempt. I was going for more of an art feel that dosent overpower the BG but i dont mind giving the people what they want.lol. Now I just need to figure out what BG to do next.

#25 12 years ago

It needs to light up, but I do like it, keep going!

Barry

#26 12 years ago

You want honest? It's gawdy as hell and there is no way in hell I'd put that on my wall. There are some good ideas there, but as an overall package I think it's ugly.

That honest enough for you?

#27 12 years ago

With a BG as the main art item it NEEDS to be lit up, a few 455 blinking bulbs would be good for some animation action and light up the pop caps.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Just put some halfwit chick next to it, take picks with a Coca-Cola sign behind it, charge 15 times the real value. Ebay is simple!

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

You want honest? It's gawdy as hell and there is no way in hell I'd put that on my wall. There are some good ideas there, but as an overall package I think it's ugly.
    That honest enough for you?

There's always one in the bunch.

#30 12 years ago

You asked man, and I can guarantee I'm not the only one thinking this, but usually people follow the rule. "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all"

Which is what I'm guessing most people are doing.

The pop bumpers, sling and flipper look totally out of place, the backglass is to close to the pop bumpers. As a package it just looks kinda sloppy.

I do like how you have the plunger...

#31 12 years ago

Neat idea, I think it need to be lit though as others have said, that helps a lot. I have been doing these lately for family and friends. I did the big bang bar cause I figured that is about as close as I'll get. The video game ones cost me about $30 for materials including the marquee. All are back lit ( sorry for the crappy pics). I have a lost in space one I need to do. I got that translite for $12. Something to do in the winter.

IMG_1032.JPGIMG_1032.JPG IMG_1033.JPGIMG_1033.JPG

#32 12 years ago

It needs to light up

+1...
    I like jsandjs idea better; it is a much cleaner approach too. Now if you could incorporate the displays to read time, date, and temperature you would sell a hell of a lot more of these with it's current layout. I would love to see a DMD under jsandjs that scrolled this info as well! Heck, maybe even do a speaker kit upgrade that houses an iPod dock for the gameroom!
    Boom! Mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!

mo-money.jpgmo-money.jpg

#33 12 years ago

I also have a big bang bar and a mario translite framed. Do you have any pics or ideas on how you backlit the BBB?

#34 12 years ago

Not trying to be mean, but I really don't like it. It's just not my cup of tea. I do however like the single arcade marquee frames that was posted above. I think I'll search eBay now for some of my favorite games and make a few of those.

#35 12 years ago

The BG alone would look better. The rest looks way too out of place. I wouldn't buy it, and if I saw it priced at $600, I would run.

#36 12 years ago

I know plenty of examples of good working Mata Hari machines I could get for 600 bucks, the entire machine, not what amounts to .004 percent of one. Just sayin.

#37 12 years ago

Nice effort, but I think I would pass. It needs to be more unified in the theme. It just looks like parts in a box. The plunger sticking out of the bottom looks weird too.

Good luck with your sale though! I could be talking right out of my ass with my opinion

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

Neat idea, I think it need to be lit though as others have said, that helps a lot. I have been doing these lately for family and friends. I did the Big Bang Bar cause I figured that is about as close as I'll get. The video game ones cost me about $30 for materials including the marquee. All are back lit ( sorry for the crappy pics). I have a Lost In Space one I need to do. I got that translite for $12. Something to do in the winter.

Attachments IMG_1033.JPG (60.8 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old IMG_1032.JPG (56 KB, 0 downloads) 6 hours old

Can you take Picts on how you wired these to light? They are very interesting to me. I think I'll make some for the office!

#39 12 years ago

Not a fan either. It is just missing something. Maybe more parts. As it sits I would not put it on my wall. I would be surprised if you get $250 on eBay. Just not for me. Just giving you honest like you asked. Good luck though.

#40 12 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

Can you take Picts on how you wired these to light? They are very interesting to me. I think I'll make some for the office!

Will do. Shoot me a PM, I'll take some pics when I get home from work.

Quoted from NimblePin:

I like jsandjs idea better; it is a much cleaner approach too.

Thanks Nimble, I appreciate it.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

I also have a Big Bang Bar and a mario translite framed. Do you have any pics or ideas on how you backlit the BBB?

Sure, shoot me a PM, I'll Take some pics when I get home tonight.

#41 12 years ago

Honestly, it doesn't look great at the moment. I think you might just need someone a bit more artistic than you to compose the elements because they just look awkward right now but I'm not even convinced that would elevate it sufficently to be a particularly nice thing to hang up. I'd rather have the translite or backglass nicely framed on its own personally. Sorry mate.

#42 12 years ago

It really needs the matching sling plastic.

1 week later
    #43 12 years ago

Well, back to the drawing board?

#44 12 years ago

Personally I'd prefer to see just the glass in either it's original backbox, maybe slimmed down to make it slimmer on the wall, or a box made to look like the original... I admire your creativity and will power to imagine this and see it through to completion though! If I was to try something similar, I don't think I'd include a backglass in there, just some arranged playfield parts, with plastics, and lights... maybe arranged on a playfield... By the way, is the layout of the pf parts to duplicate the layout of those parts on the game?

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyFliprFingrs:

not what amounts to .004 percent of one.

Come on CFF, you've got to give at least a 20% credit to a nice backglass... closer to 30% IMO...

#46 12 years ago

I like the artistic components of a pinball machine actually on a pinball machine. Pinball wall art does little for me.

#47 12 years ago

Here's a couple that I had framed...

IMG_0981.jpgIMG_0981.jpg IMG_0983.jpgIMG_0983.jpg

#48 12 years ago
    Quoted from jsandjs:

Neat idea, I think it need to be lit though as others have said, that helps a lot. I have been doing these lately for family and friends. I did the Big Bang Bar cause I figured that is about as close as I'll get. The video game ones cost me about $30 for materials including the marquee. All are back lit ( sorry for the crappy pics). I have a Lost In Space one I need to do. I got that translite for $12. Something to do in the winter.

Attachments IMG_1033.JPG (60.8 KB, 0 downloads) 1 week old IMG_1032.JPG (56 KB, 0 downloads) 1 week old

Are you using a flourescent light in the light boxes? I made 3 boxes myself, but having custom marquees printed and will sandwich the marquee between 2 pieces of clear plexiglass. The light I plan to use in them is 18 inch under cabinet flourescent light. my boxes are 20 inches long and 6 1/2 inches tall.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/honest-opinions-and-a-price-check-on-my-pinball-artwork-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.