Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Strummy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Honda Ridgeline or Toyota Tacoma?”

• Honda Ridgeline 20 votes
      19%
    • Toyota Tacoma 85 votes
      81%

(105 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CANADA_170119758_AR_-1_KEKDVKVBZSWP (resized).jpg
    CA26F59B-1BA3-46D1-9A1A-54761AEDA866 (resized).jpeg
    20160913085811_IMG_3640 (resized).JPG
    20180120_132200 (resized).jpg
    20180120_173523 (resized).jpg
    353384A4-24B2-4B6C-BA19-A44C76CBE6CA (resized).jpeg
    961D1C70-54B3-45BD-80A9-69A8327C27C8 (resized).jpeg
    73E508B1-DBB4-4A0B-B9D3-87A12F692348 (resized).jpeg
    2A2951CB-DDD5-4AC5-A8D1-0C1F34DA8C22 (resized).jpeg
    9AEC0FBF-15E6-45EC-B35A-C2F2EBFEDDB8 (resized).jpeg
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I travel a lot but sometimes I need to haul a pinball machine or couch around. Toyota has a high resale value, it looks like it's easier to fix, and the truck looks cool. However it shifts all over the place (I want a V6 automatic), isn't as comfy as the Honda, and is featureless. Very pricey as well.

Honda Ridgeline is the exact opposite except the resale value and can't haul as much. I think the quality of the build is a little cheaper as well.

What would you get? I'm coming from a '02 Chevy S-10 with 304k on it.

#2 5 years ago

1 is a truck. The other is a unibody car. It will really depend on how much hauling you do.
    The new Ridgeline does look more truck like, than the previous model.

#3 5 years ago

Why do you say the Ridgeline can't haul as much? I have a 2017 Ridgeline. At the time, it had a higher payload rating than the Tacoma. Maybe this has changed?

Just make sure you look at the payload rating for the exact model you are interested in. At the time I was buying, the Tacoma had a higher payload rating it's base model, but it was much lower once you added the crew cab and 4wd, etc.

#4 5 years ago

If you’re approaching it from the standpoint of keeping it for hundreds of thousands of miles, I wouldn’t be concerned about the resale value. We’ve got a 2007 4Runner 8cyl that has 310K on it and a 2001 Tacoma 6cyl with 290K. Also had a 1990 4cyl that blew the engine at about 140K, dropped a rebuilt engine in it for another 50K. That said, those are all 10 years plus experiences in terms of build quality so ymmv....if comfort is the main driver and the Honda fits you better, you may want to think about that if you’re not gonna keep it for a long time/miles and you’re uncertain about the Honda build quality.

#5 5 years ago

I've got 270k on an 02 Tacoma. It has been a great truck. Decent on gas and very inexpensive to maintain.

#6 5 years ago

I'm biased because I own one, but love my Tacoma. I have a full cab with 5 ft bed. Large community at the tacomaworld forum. I never liked how the Ridgeline looked. Every now and then I wish I would have bought the 6ft bed,but I got a steal on the 5ft version from a guy who was about to move overseas and needed a quick sale

#7 5 years ago

Get a taco truck, you won't regret it.

#8 5 years ago

Love my Ridgeline, it's all the "truck" most people will need. Drive both, taco can't compete with Ridgeline in cabin comfort and ride quality. If you go off-road, get a taco, it's a good truck.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah I likely won't be reselling it but you never know. The Ridgeline doesn't haul as much as a Tacoma and I want a 4X4 for either of these trucks. The Ridgeline also sits lower to the ground making it less capable. Again I'm not hauling around boats. It's mainly a daily driver and originally I was looking at a crossover. Once in a while hauling a game, couch, garden mulch, etc.

The main thing it has ultimately come down to is price and quality. Toyota reps have assured me as crates sat in the garage full of frames. They put the frames into a kiln now to dry it out and then paint them. They also give you a lifetime warranty on the frame as well but they acknowledged the problem. The Ridgeline has some sheet metal/plastic stuff going on. Like the entire engine is covered by a plastic shroud, the hood prop tip is plastic (that is going to snap off) and the door hinges look thin. There is a feeling of cheapness to the car but the features and bang for your buck is way more than a Ridgeline.

Is there anything I'm missing?

#10 5 years ago

Made a simple platform to get above wheel wells for my 2011 Tacoma and hauled two pins side by side. The truck is a workhorse. 4x4 is great at the beach and in the snow. I chose the 4cyl. due to the fact I don’t tow anything, but still has great pickup speed. Comfy interior for long journeys, decent gas mileage, reliable, looks great nearly 10 yrs later in terms of style too.

#11 5 years ago

Bought my Ridgeline in 2011 and absolutely love it... I have not had one problem with this truck, just routine oil and air filter changes and it keeps on going. Also a pin fits almost perfect in the back with about 1" to spare. The side open tailgate makes it easier to load most things and the hidden ice chest under the body is perfect for hauling stuff you don't want in the cab, ie,, gas, trash, etc... And can't live without the remote start in the winter...

#12 5 years ago

No wheel wells in the Ridgeline bed. The bed is also wider than the taco. You can lay full sheets of plywood, etc flat in the bed.

Taco bed is deeper. So, if you have a cover on it, you can fit taller things under the cover than you can in the Ridgeline.

So, it's all in what you want.

Ridgeline also has the awesome trunk in the bed. Very useful. But, not as useful if you are going to have stuff loaded on top of it so you can't open it.

You just need to get whichever one suits your needs better.

I would argue that the Ridgeline can haul more. I know that you (op) think that the taco can haul more. Maybe you mean the tow rating? Ridgeline has a lower tow rating. But it tows very capably.

Taco has better ground clearance. Which is good if you ever go off road. But it's also good if you are ever in really deep snow.

They feel very different when you drive them. Many people will have a definite preference one way or the other in that regard.

ETA: all of my comments are based on 2017 model. There may have been changes made since then

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

Yeah I likely won't be reselling it but you never know. The Ridgeline doesn't haul as much as a Tacoma and I want a 4X4 for either of these trucks. The Ridgeline also sits lower to the ground making it less capable. Again I'm not hauling around boats. It's mainly a daily driver and originally I was looking at a crossover. Once in a while hauling a game, couch, garden mulch, etc.
    The main thing it has ultimately come down to is price and quality. Toyota reps have assured me as crates sat in the garage full of frames. They put the frames into a kiln now to dry it out and then paint them. They also give you a lifetime warranty on the frame as well but they acknowledged the problem. The Ridgeline has some sheet metal/plastic stuff going on. Like the entire engine is covered by a plastic shroud, the hood prop tip is plastic (that is going to snap off) and the door hinges look thin. There is a feeling of cheapness to the car but the features and bang for your buck is way more than a Ridgeline.
    Is there anything I'm missing?

If you were looking at crossovers and now pickups,. The Ridgeline is perfect. You are overanalyzing this, worried about hood prop tip? Really? I mean, if you open the hood that much and it breaks, how much can a replacement be.

Drive both, see what you like. But if you were first looking at a crossover, the Ridgeline is going to be more like it

#14 5 years ago

Ok know the truck fans won’t like this, but... why a truck? For pins and couches other than the macho factor. A good crossover works well. I drive an MDX and can get two pins in it and haul in the rain. But looking to replace it with either an all wheel drive Toyota van, or something like the Chevy Traverse. Both generally better mileage than a truck, better ride as a daily driver, and all weather pin hauler. And I do tow a boat.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from hool10:

What would you get? I'm coming from a '02 Chevy S-10 with 304k on it.

Still got my 93 from high school

Spending its retirement as a ranch truck hauling stuff around the property these days

280k miles...like a rock?

9AEC0FBF-15E6-45EC-B35A-C2F2EBFEDDB8 (resized).jpeg9AEC0FBF-15E6-45EC-B35A-C2F2EBFEDDB8 (resized).jpeg

#16 5 years ago

Own a 2016 Tacoma off road 4x4 access cab. Wanted the 6’ bed. It’s a great truck.

I’ve read rumors about Toyota having a diesel motor available in the 2020 Tacoma. That would be nice.

#17 5 years ago

I’ve owned 2 Honda Ridgelines. Great vehicle, I’d definitely recommend it. Toyota Tacoma is really nice too, I like the look much better than ridgeline. It’s really up to personal preference, as both are great

#18 5 years ago

Toyota SRS in dark grey looks like a sports car and truck combined. Easy to get parts forToyota as well. And you don’t have to deal with all the “on star” tracking bullshit that can shut you down quick from a hacked satellite (if the day ever comes).

#19 5 years ago

I have a Chevy Colorado with a short box and it is perfect for moving pins.

#20 5 years ago

My wife has a newer style Honda Pilot.....very nice vehicle. However, the newest Honda Ridgeline is the Transgender Auto of the Year. Started life as a Pilot, then had a midlife crisis and had a truck change operation. The older ones are more “trucky”...but the new ones are hideous. Modern day El Camino, anyone?

2A2951CB-DDD5-4AC5-A8D1-0C1F34DA8C22 (resized).jpeg2A2951CB-DDD5-4AC5-A8D1-0C1F34DA8C22 (resized).jpeg

#21 5 years ago

I’m on my 3rd Ridgeline It’s the perfect “lifestyle” truck for me. The new style is much more to my liking than the old. I have 8 Tacoma’s in our work fleet. Much more of a work truck. Both run forever. I’m over 200,000 miles on about 4 of them, including the older model Ridge. For me personally , it’s the Ridgeline all day

#22 5 years ago

Tacoma hands down, resale value alone.

#23 5 years ago

Bought a Ridgeline 6 months ago and I am very happy with it. Did just get a second recall. Honda gives a loaner during the repairs and at least they are fixing thier issues. As others have said more of a larger car then a truck but easily more comfortable. Not sure on the resale comments of one over the other.
    Mine has the optional bed speaker system which is pretty cool. Along with the bed 110Vac plug and the underbid storage/cooler a pretty sweet tailgate package.

#24 5 years ago

They both might be called trucks but the ridge line in more a Honda Pilot with the back cut out for the bed.

To confuse it further - have you looked at the new ranger?

#25 5 years ago

73E508B1-DBB4-4A0B-B9D3-87A12F692348 (resized).jpeg73E508B1-DBB4-4A0B-B9D3-87A12F692348 (resized).jpeg
    The Tacoma is badass. Get the 6’ bed & a canopy for sure. Shifting issue has been resolved with a software update
    Ridgelines are for girls or video game nerds.

#26 5 years ago

Has anyone put a topper on the ridgeline? Maybe it looks better with one of those on the bed.

#27 5 years ago

Or you could just be secure in your manhood and buy whichever one best suits your needs.

For example, in my case, I wanted to be able to carry a snowmobile in the bed, should the need arise. The Tacoma payload rating was simply too low, and the bed was too small with the wheel wells in the way. Ridgeline was perfect.

Others have different requirements, that's why there's different trucks out there.

#28 5 years ago

Owned a tacoma. Great truck. Rode a little rough, but other than that, it was perfect. I had a full size GMC after that and always felt like I was steering an aircraft carrier through parking lots. It was just too big for my needs, but YMMV.

#29 5 years ago

I would get a 4Runner myself. Just got a new Toyota Sienna for my wife, awesome vehicle. I've learned my lesson too many times with other vehicle manufacturers. I'll stick to my Toyotas.

#30 5 years ago

Love my Tacoma! Went all around this decision Taco, Rigdgeline, Colorado... arrived at the Tacoma, no regrets. Transmission is a little geary... doesn't have the ride of the Ridgeline, but I prefer that. Colorado is nice but I don't care for the styling of that, it kind of sits funny (not a real big fan of Chevy trimming). These were all personal choices of course but Toyota has a pretty good track record regardless.

#31 5 years ago

Long live my Tacoma!

961D1C70-54B3-45BD-80A9-69A8327C27C8 (resized).jpeg961D1C70-54B3-45BD-80A9-69A8327C27C8 (resized).jpeg
    #32 5 years ago

The new Tacoma fully loaded looks sick...I drive a "soccer mom"(as my friend love to call it) MDX Advance...has all the bells and whistles, handles nice etc, bad mpg....but I really wish I bought a crew cab Denali instead. I've been going nuts not having a truck (always had a beater Sierra but frames/etc rot like no tomorrow)....If I had to choose between the Honda and the Toyota... Tacoma all day (Sorry, I think the Ridgeline is hideous)

#33 5 years ago

I have a 2017 Tacoma. It's ok. Definitely has it's quirks.

#34 5 years ago

Resale value on Ridgeline is very high and not everyone needs a body-on-frame truck built to tow a yacht.
    But really, our opinions on this are not worth much. Drive and decide for your self.

#35 5 years ago

I owned a 2006 Nissan Frontier years ago. Really liked it. Powerful, great bed track system, awesome in snow/mud, decent gas mileage, and cheaper than anything comparable. It was a bit Spartan, but I was fine with that. Ended up having a small engine issue.in retrospect I wish I had kept it.

I've been off Honda for years. Felt as though they were milking everyone on features. You had to get nearly the most expensive package to get Bluetooth, etc. While competitors(Hyundai) were giving the customer value.

I'm sure times have changed, but that's my lasting impression.

I agree about the aesthetics of the Honda, I just don't care for them, but that's me, not you. I don't care for VW bugs either, so there you go.

Sounds as though resale is not the issue here. A main factor should be long term cost in repairs.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever you decide upon.

#36 5 years ago

I own a 2012 Honda Ridgeline and love it. I also like the Tacoma but feel the Ridgeline meet my needs a little better. I like the option to fold the tailgate down or open it like a barn door. I am not sure about the new models but mine has the trunk built into the bed and it holds a massive amount of stuff. This trunk allows you to haul groceries, tools, gear, etc without taking up cabin space or having it roll around in the bed. It also locks and most people don’t even know it is there. Mine is all time 4wd and I still get about 20-22 mpg on the interstate. I have hauled several pins / arcade games in the back with no issue. I have never owned a Tacoma so I can’t speak to that but just wanted to give my input in the Ridgeline. That being said, when I do replace my Ridgeline, I will probably look to the extended cab Tundra for even more space and bigger back seat.

#37 5 years ago

One more point on the Ridgeline. It is excellent in the snow! I was surprised at how well it performed this year when I put it into snow mode. I understand the comments on the looks, and I kinda looked at the Ridgeline as a hybrid SUV/Pickup. The drive difference made the real difference for me . You can not go wrong with the Toyota in any case either.

#38 4 years ago

Tacoma's problem is the tiny interior. I'm 6'3, and love my 14 Tundra. Second one, had a Tacoma and 4runner before them. Not one problem with any of them.

#39 4 years ago

Is Nissan Frontier an option? I own a 2004 Titan that I purchased new that now has around 220,000 miles on it. It has been a great truck and extremely reliable throughout the years. I've had multiple unsolicited offers over the years from others to buy it, but I'll own it until either it dies or I die, whichever comes first.

#40 4 years ago

Well to give you more context on this last weekend I did try a 4X4 SR5 Toyota Tacoma V6, automatic. I also tried a Honda Ridgeline RTL-E 4x4 V6 Automatic. This is what I noticed.

Toyota Tacoma:
    1) The truck felt like a more modern and more roomier of my current truck being the '02 Chevy S-10. I read a review saying the transmission shifted all over the place and I found that true. When I went on the highway it was slow but steady and fast but as soon as you let off on the peddle you could feel the truck downshift, then upshift, etc. It felt exactly what I expect a truck to feel like and was solid.

2) The engine is right there for you to see and service. The radiator, etc is all there easily accessible.

3) The bed was really nice and had a bed rail system.

4) Looks badass.

5) Higher trims get you cool stuff but you have to go high up to get that stuff.

Honda Ridgeline:
    1) Sitting in the truck felt like a crossover. It was SUPER comfortable. You can't tell you are in a truck in a Ridgeline behind the wheel.

2) This mofo goes. It goes fast instantly up to speed with no jerky transmission. In fact I didn't even feel it shift and then you can turn on ECO-Boost and the thing downshifts and feels more slower/truck like.

3) It's super quiet inside a Ridgeline. They got this special glass that makes the cabin incredibly quiet.

4) The seats in the back are roomy and fold up making this HUGE space in the back. With the Tacoma it's not the best but it's an access cab.

5) The bed is like "pitch up a tent and camp in it" width. When you remove the wheel wells it makes a marked difference. It looks shorter though.

6) Lower trim levels get you cool stuff like a moon roof, leather interior, remote car start, and only gets better the higher you go up.

7) There is a '17 Black Edition near me with 17k on it. I think I can get it down to $35k and that is like around the price of a new '19 SR5 Taco.

That is what I noticed though between the 2 trucks. I'm going up north and seeing what they did with the Ranger (I'm not even considering one) but unless I see any glaring issue I want a Ridgeline. I just wish it sat up higher, looked like a truck, and had more physical dials/tachometers on the truck.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:Ok know the truck fans won’t like this, but... why a truck? For pins and couches other than the macho factor. A good crossover works well. I drive an MDX and can get two pins in it and haul in the rain. But looking to replace it with either an all wheel drive Toyota van, or something like the Chevy Traverse. Both generally better mileage than a truck, better ride as a daily driver, and all weather pin hauler. And I do tow a boat.

I do a lot of work around my house. I like to have a payloader dump a load of crushed stone, mulch, etc into my truck. It's a lot easier for me then putting a whole bunch of Home Depot bags of stone or mulch into the back of an MDX or a van. I also have a rototiller and some other machines that I can drive right into the back of my truck with some ramps. There's a lot of things that can be done with a truck that don't make it just a macho factor.

Out of the two choices you gave I would go with the Tacoma.

#42 4 years ago

Colorado zr2 might be something to consider.

#43 4 years ago

Ta Co Ma!!

353384A4-24B2-4B6C-BA19-A44C76CBE6CA (resized).jpeg353384A4-24B2-4B6C-BA19-A44C76CBE6CA (resized).jpeg
    #44 4 years ago

Ridgeline - minivan truck. Has creature comforts...but that's because it is a car pretty much. El Camino.

Tacoma - badass, proven reliability, looks, resale.

No question if you want a "truck".

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

Ok know the truck fans won’t like this, but... why a truck? For pins and couches other than the macho factor. A good crossover works well. I drive an MDX and can get two pins in it and haul in the rain. But looking to replace it with either an all wheel drive Toyota van, or something like the Chevy Traverse. Both generally better mileage than a truck, better ride as a daily driver, and all weather pin hauler. And I do tow a boat.

We were looking really hard at a truck before settling on a Traverse and I'm glad I did. The extra seating and covered hauling has been totally worth it for us.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I do a lot of work around my house. I like to have a payloader dump a load of crushed stone, mulch, etc into my truck. It's a lot easier for me then putting a whole bunch of Home Depot bags of stone or mulch into the back of an MDX or a van. I also have a rototiller and some other machines that I can drive right into the back of my truck with some ramps. There's a lot of things that can be done with a truck that don't make it just a macho factor.
    Out of the two choices you gave I would go with the Tacoma.

I hear you on this, but you can pull a trailer.....that's what my mentality was when I "settled" for my MDX (fits 95% of needs). God it's a pain with the trailer, currently looking for another beater truck.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I hear you on this, but you can pull a trailer.....that's what my mentality was when I "settled" for my MDX (fits 95% of needs). God it's a pain with the trailer, currently looking for another beater truck.

This! Love my Grand Cherokee, but when it's time for mulch, stone, ball bowlers, furniture, etc. I need to hook up the trailer, , , , and stay off of parkways, which means lots of extra time for most trips.

I drive a glorified mini van, but it works for me. Guessing your MDX is the same.

#48 4 years ago

I rarely post on anything involving cars or trucks, too many fanboys who post too much BS about why one is better than the other. Any hoo got to ask if you have over 300k on a Chevy did you bother to check out the Colorado? Or even the new Ranger?

Real quick on the Rigeline. My uncle had an F150 he loved but as he got older it was tough to get in and out so he went to a SUV for his last 2 vehicles. He missed the pickup quite a bit. Even with running boards they we real hard to get up into for him, even the midsize trucks. The 2018 Ridgeline he got fit the bill for him, has a bed, easy to get in. He doesn't love the looks of it though. He did say if he could he would go back to a full size in a heartbeat.

My 2 cents is drive them all pick the one you like.

#49 4 years ago

Our 2006 Ridgeline has been trouble free, is a blast to drive, and has all the comforts you could want. Tough enough to pull tree stumps and haul lumber. And yes, I've owned multiple brands, Chevy, Ford, and Toyota.

Test drive and buy whatever you like. They're all pretty good.

#50 4 years ago

I had a couple of 5th gen 4Runners which is basically the same chassis and engine as the Taco. The Toyota are a solid vehicle, but plain on features and creature comforts. One year they will add LED tail lights, the next year maybe a better radio. I hate how some (most?) auto makers milk the product line like that. Anyhow, what I hated about the Toyota V6 is that it's gutless. They can also be stubborn to downshift for quicker acceleration. The transmission also has an annoying shift point at city speed limit (50kph) which means in city driving it forces you to speed a bit in order to keep the shifts from going up and down. Mostly minor grievances, but I would still take a Taco (or 4Runner) over the Honda. Oh, and I just despise the front fascia on the new 4Runners - absolutely hideous.

Rob

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/honda-ridgeline-or-toyota-tacoma and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.