IMG_4555 (resized).jpeg
Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-5.56.01-PM-1 (1) (resized).png
images (1) (resized).jpg
20230916_092647 (resized).jpg
IMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

Mikes married to an Asian. Racists dont do that..
Why has this been allowed to get personal?

Are you kidding? I have no idea if he's racist or not, but from personal experience, I can say that generally speaking, Asians in Asia as a society are extremely racist. Ask Koreans about how they feel about Japanese, or Japanese about Koreans or Chinese about Japanese. There's a HUGE amount of inter-Asian racism. Also, they are casually racist about things like black people that they don't have day to day exposure to. I remember seeing an OVERTLY racist commercial in Japan for a pest service where they had a black guy dressed up as a cockroach in actual BLACKFACE. It was nationally broadcast A LOT. They didn't think anything of it.

So yeah, marrying an Asian doesn't relieve someone of the suspicion of being racist, especially if they've said or done racist things.

Japan's NHK making a cartoon to try to explain what Black Lives Matter was about to their Japanese audience and pretty much completely missing the point shows how oblivious they are to the issue they are observing from afar (click CC for English subtitles):

#124 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Spinal tap may not be my theme but I really like to see where it’s priced and what they did with the theme . If the want to achieve a better status they need to step up there advertisement as the game is almost on the market and nobody even heard about it. Also hope they don’t make the same stupid mistake to make only a handfull of exclusive distributeurs

They had Balcer involved with this title, but he's apparently gone from Homepin already, so the question is, how much was he involved with this title? Did he do the design and bail? Or was he gone mid-job? Even if Homepin executed his completed design, who is doing the code? There's still a lot left to be known.

And yes, Homepin needs serious help with their marketing. Even the announcement graphic was...underwhelming. But I'm at least interested in seeing what Balcer delivered. I actually wanted to see their chinese ghost-themed pin that will never be released, too.

#128 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

The reason there are a handful of distros is because most distros do not want to deal with them.
Commiserations on owning a Thunderturd. It is the only game in the history of pinball that I will ever put shit on. You will probably have to pay someone to take it away as no one will ever want to buy it from you. Yes I have played it, a fair bit when if it was going properly.

Thunderbirds is very rare in the US because no one bought it here once the truth was out about it, so I have a morbid desire to buy one, play it, and sell it just so I have had firsthand experience with one. There was one that was "touring" the US for about $3500, then $3300, then $3000, then $2700 as buyer after buyer flipped it. Still probably a little high, but I'd take one at $3000 delivered (which would be $2500 + shipping) max so I wouldn't lose too much on a flip.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Anyone on the UK forum want to ask what the date is that the IP owner is dictating for a playfield reveal?
I’ve never got his need for secrecy. “Chinese Zombies isn’t for the western market” so we never see anything about it? Weird. Who cares if it’s not for outside of China, if there are zero pics to show what it is and that it actually exists how do future customers see that you have been doing anything since TB seemingly stopped shipping?

There are a few pics of the Chinese Zombie pin around. Same with the porsche custom one.

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

post them up, may as well have them here

I didn't save many of them when they were posted. But there are more around...
china-zombies (resized).jpgchina-zombies (resized).jpg

china-zombies-lit (resized).jpgchina-zombies-lit (resized).jpg

playfield-back (resized).jpgplayfield-back (resized).jpg

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Kind of a waste of a Flash Gordon...

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

How about this for doing the right thing ?
[quoted image]

What's the "reasonable commercial life" definition?

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Gameplay is different than “quality” however since HP moved to Taiwan maybe they’ve improved? Did anyone see a Porsche game?

Since it was a promotional tool for trade shows, I doubt it was many steps above a box of lights.

1 month later
#288 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that's the center of the playfield. You can even see the corners of the slings

Ugh. The dial's not even right. 11 should have been after 10, and the center "knob" should have been reserved for "smell the glove wizard mode" or something else. As it's laid out right now it makes zero sense.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from JackMorten:

Hei! Checked my phone, no photos, but I am picking up some parts from Homepin next week and I will ask Mike if I can take a few photos of "Ghost Zombies" and post them .. No promise, I got to respect his decision if he say no, but I will ask!

Would be nice to see what the playfield looked liked. On the only photos I saw it was blurred out.

#311 2 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

Not saying game won't be terrible... Homepin's first effort doesn't inspire confidence...
But keep in mind that sometimes people do learn from mistakes and experience. In addition, there are a lot of people on this site who criticize people who criticize games without playing them.
That said... I think we should at least wait until the game is revealed before firing away and show a little optimism even if it's just make believe...

The fact that Homepin won't even say who did the design and coding, and Balcer being brought on and then gone in a few months is not a good sign at all. How much more black could this be?

#314 2 years ago

If you look at the promotional image that the characters were cut out from and re-arranged, Michael McKean has his hands on a sword. But on the playfield/promo pic Homepin released, by putting him in back AND LEAVING THE SWORD, it looks like he's stabbing Christopher Guest in the back.

EDIT: And the CRAZY PART I just noticed is that they moved the sword handle UP to make it more visible. Using the collar of his shirt as a reference, the handle of the sword is much higher than in the original art. Someone's guilty of Photoshop malpractice.

Original:
spinal-tap-promo (resized).jpgspinal-tap-promo (resized).jpg

Homepin photoshop hack job:
spinal-tap-homepin-close (resized).jpgspinal-tap-homepin-close (resized).jpg

Really changes the tone of the playfield.

1 week later
#329 2 years ago
Quoted from JackMorten:

And as promised, a picture of Ghost Zombies....
[quoted image]

If he's not making it, why all the secrecy with the playfield? He wouldn't let you take a full PF shot?

Thanks for the one picture you DID get, but weird he's still clutching his pearls so tight on this dead-end.

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

probably the same thing as the Porsche pinball

Playfield insert and drop target arrangement are wildly different between the Chinese Ghost and Porsche pins, so not the same.

#336 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I meant same thing that you don't see images, all very secret or hide away from the public

Well, we've seen the top of the whole Porsche playfield but only the bottom of the Chinese Ghosts one, so apparently he didn't care as much about letting the Porsche promo pin be seen.

#349 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Pretty sure that's just a Data East replica. They may have improved the design though.

I hate Data East pops. I can't put my finger on exactly WHY, but I do not like the way they feel in the game.

#359 2 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

What keywords should I search to learn more about the head of homepin - totally missed out on this and like to make informed choices with what we buy.

The Thunderbirds thread is a moderated mess now, but here's a post that survived with some clues:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-announced-by-homepin-thunderbirds/page/37#post-4033238

#361 2 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

They're not in China anymore

Not the way China sees it.

2 weeks later
#382 2 years ago
Quoted from JackMorten:

I just needed to post this one.... That is totally Mike in that animation...
[quoted image]

Pic is broken. Can you repost? Has anyone posted video of the machine yet?

4 weeks later
#392 2 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but has pricing been released on this game?

All we know for sure at this point is mime is money.

2 weeks later
#402 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Oh wow… just scrolled through the reviews for Thunderbirds… holy fuckballs.
Wow. Brutal.
Looks like they need to work on the finished product a bit and get some professional designers in to spec out the gameplay… hopefully they took the feedback to heart.

Well, he hired Joe Balcer (Co-credited with Simpsons Pinball Party, did WoZ, Hobbit, Houdini, Oktoberfest, etc), but then Joe was gone before Spinal Tap was even announced, so his total time there was less than a year, so not sure what happened. He's being very cagey about who the designer and software are by for Spinal Tap, and that doesn't bode well...

#403 2 years ago

Looks like purple metal flake armor, with black apron and chrome (?) legs.

The last picture is the leftover plastic after the plastics are cut out. Not many plastics in the set, only 8 if you exclude the slings and lane guides.

Here's a bunch of pictures for those (like me) that (smartly) avoid facebook:
01 (resized).jpg01 (resized).jpg02 (resized).jpg02 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpg03 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpg04 (resized).jpg05 (resized).jpg05 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg07 (resized).jpg07 (resized).jpg08 (resized).jpg08 (resized).jpg09 (resized).jpg09 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg10 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg14 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg15 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg17 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg18 (resized).jpg

20 (resized).jpg20 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg21 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg22 (resized).jpg

#405 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If I didn't know any better, I'd be stoked!

Might still be cool, but the odds are strongly against it so far based on past history, avoiding disclosing who did the design and who is doing the software, and how this rollout is going. It's a weird rollout that's not helping them build excitement. Homepin desperately needs a PR firm to handle dissemination of pictures and videos to build excitement while he just concentrates on getting the games made. He obviously can't do both, and when he does PR he ends up saying offensive stuff that turns a portion of his potential buyers off. Better to just leave the PR work to a pro.

#410 2 years ago
Quoted from mcmnky:

What I heard is Homepin doesn't intend to do any PR or marketing to sell Spinal Tap. That is being left to the distributors. Unless that's changed.

I have seen exactly zero of anything that would qualify as PR or marketing for Spinal Tap from any source at all. Releasing random pictures to facebook of parts doesn't count, but if he coordinated with his distributors the could use them to scrape up some excitement.

#421 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

List? That's a -short- list. No one on it yet?

Yeah, I think it was just an oversight or a bad cut and paste. The homepage here has it:

http://www.homepin.com/

Canada:
Nitro Pinball

Australia:
Highway Games

USA:
Pinball Star Amusements

Europe:
RS-Pinball

China (PRC):
CBC Pinball

...so looks like one distributor per region.

#434 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

When Joe is ready, its his party.

By definition, party is more than one.

I understand being stung by the criticism of a bad game, but Thunderbirds actually had pretty good response as the development pictures were being posted. Only when people got to play it did that go in the toilet. Doing Spinal Tap like this will not have any potentially positive feedback (or even helpful feedback to fix glaring problems) pre-release, just the potentially negative post-release word of mouth. Seems messed up, but whatever.

#445 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL, you act like you’re punishing or getting revenge on us by not showing anything….ooookaaaay, ohhhh no, you got us! LOL
No one really gives a flying koala what Homepin does. It’s just baffling that they’d take the position that “no marketing” is a good idea. They currently have the reputation of being run by a curmudgeonly a-hole that produced the worst pin ever (TBAG). You’d think that after all the work he’s done, he want to sell product. You sell product by marketing your brand and product.
Oh well - but potential customers are just trolls, right?

Maybe we're looking at it wrong. What if he's really a fabulously wealthy, centuries-old vampire that doesn't need money or profit because he only lusts after negative energy needed to sustain him? Perhaps this is all a ruse to create the negative energy that sustains him and we're playing right into it...

That Chinese zombies pin makes more sense in this framing, too.

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

As a side thought, if you’re buying all the parts etc, I’d think you have approval on the art / IP….

Aside from the hideously butchered photoshop hit job art on the announcement flyer, I don't think he's shown anything on the game with art (playfield, translite, cabinet, plastics). The closest that's been shown is the plastic piece with the playfield plastics already cut out of it. No art.

#454 2 years ago

OMG. How about just concentrating on making a passable pinball machine? Homepin explains why they stamped their bolts with the Homepin house - it's because they're metric, non-standard bolts and he wanted to make sure people could tell that on sight...rather than just using INDUSTRY STANDARD, CHEAP, WIDELY AVAILABLE PARTS.

Here's what he posted:
"I had an email this morning asking me "why we have leg bolts made with the Homepin logo - why not just get on and build machines, surely this is a waste of time & money"?
The answer is very simple. Our machines are built using the metric system. This means our leg bolts are also metric. We decided years back to have our logo stamped on the head to differentiate between our leg bolts and "standard" pinball leg bolts so people wouldn't try and force the wrong leg bolts into a machine."
homepin-bolt-top (resized).jpghomepin-bolt-top (resized).jpg

#459 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

(homepins) entire machine is metric because it is made in Taiwan.

Okay.

Quoted from wiredoug:

The entire world is metric apart from the USA.

The PINBALL world is by and large not metric, especially for the commodity parts. If you want to make your machine-specific assemblies metric, great.

Quoted from wiredoug:

Having anything made here that is NOT metric costs twice as much.

To make COMMODITY parts (like leg plates and bolts) that are widely available and dirt cheap as a result custom and non-standard is hubris and hurts the machine long-term. That stuff is ALREADY made in China, so he wouldn't be shipping from the US, he'd be shipping from a next-door neighbor, at worst. I deal with Chinese manufacture all the time and am working with 8 factories right now on various projects, so I have an idea about costs there. Maybe his logo-imprinted bolts would cost more, but plain imperial measure leg bolts that are THE STANDARD FOR PINBALL do not.

If he just wants his logo on the bolts, just be honest and say that. Don't blame pricing on a part that is dirt cheap and likely made for the US pinball manufacturers in China, right next door to him, already.

#465 2 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Metric bolt sizes are standardized. They may not be your typical Pinball bolts, but they're easily replaceable. This wouldn't concern me in the slightest.

But it's just like...why? There's a decades old, industry-wide, interchangeable standard, widely available. Why make leg bolts with threading specific to your machine only? It defies logic. I mean AP went with hex cap tops on their Houdini bolts for the steampunk aesthetic, but at least the threading was still standard.

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Ever look at the auto store on how many different oil filter sizes there are? Why! There only needs to be 3! Small, Medium and Large! LOL

Apples and oranges. The auto market is fragmented with many engine designs. We're down to basically standard and widebody pins for pinball (well, and Stern's The Pin). Things like leg plates and bolts are standardized across all manufacturers...except homepin.

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I get that the leg bolts are readily available and cheap but what about the leg plates that are more pinball specific?

Modern Stern has multiple types of leg plates (some are BARELY plates, but still), but they all have standard "pinball" spacing and threading AFAIK. Which is why you can "upgrade" a Stern spike with B/W leg plates and everything lines up just fine. JJP and CGC use B/W style leg plates from the factory with the same spacing and threading. The industry settled on it a long time ago.

#476 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I don't know if the aesthetic was part of it, but the cool thing about American Pinball's leg bolts is you can take the same Allen wrench used for the backbox quick-lock and use it to tighten the leg bolts. It's really convenient.

Which is why THAT kind of change is OK (and the steampunk aesthetic fit is cool). It doesn't affect the standard, and if you lose the cap bolts, regular leg bolts will do in a pinch. Not so with the deviations Homepin is doing for no good reason.

#480 2 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

WTF is wrong with this thread? I come in looking for info on Spinal Tap, and find a bunch of man babies complaining.

It's this way because there's NO INFO on Spinal Tap. Another bad decision. I've posted literally everything I've found (you're welcome), and it's not much.

So we're discussing metric leg bolts.

#487 2 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

That would be the global, industry wide, interchangeable, metric standard surely.

That has been ignored for the most part by pinball for DECADES. The standards and overwhelming existing supply chain of pinball commodity parts is imperial, so this statement is irrelevant for this discussion about PINBALL established standards, and why going your own way to force a square peg into a long established round hole is a bad idea.

Quoted from 7oxford:

And for the record, imperial parts are not always widely available outside of the USA.

As I noted, most of this is being made in China and shipped to the US. Could just as easily be made in China and shipped to Taiwan, or Australia, or wherever.

But hey, we're officially circular in this conversation. Let's talk about something else. How about back to bad photoshop art on the playfield? The change to the art so it looks like he's stabbing Christopher Guest in the back?

Original art...

spinal-tap-promo (resized).jpgspinal-tap-promo (resized).jpg
#489 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Is there a full playfield image anywhere? This little snippet is all I've seen of the pf so far.

Not that I'm aware of. I'm actually interested in the game (I know, setting myself up for disappointment), so I've been on the lookout.

#495 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Thre is also another decades old industry standard....EM score reels, yet you aren't suggesting they should stick around. And yes, some manufacturers have displays specific their machine now, so parts aren't interchangeable there. I think we can all agree progress is good with displays....so why not leg bolts and as mentioned, the 100s of other metric parts that are the international standard of measurement!

Of course there are things specific to manufacturers and machines, but the GENERAL PINBALL MARKET is using one kind of imperial measure leg bolt thread spec for the bolts and the plates, and has for a LONG TIME, so they're widely available and cheap. Like, EVERY MAJOR MANUFACTURER OF PINBALL. So planting a flag on metric bolts with a logo for your low-run machine is pissing in the wind and just making things unnecessarily irritating for future owners of it. This is not a complicated concept, is it?

But let's go back to talking about the terrible photoshop job with the art on the playfield. They LITERALLY moved the dagger up so it would be visible and looking like Christopher Guest was being stabbed. WHY?

#507 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

Better than re-using the Austin Powers playfield! [quoted image]

Walking Dead would have been a better example. They even reused the frickin' laser beam mech.

#508 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The start button is digitally printed with zero opaque layer. Based on that alone this game is going to blow chunks.
But mostly it’ll suck because we know they have no interest in making anything fun.

Yeah, that's a weird oversight. The other thing is in like 16 inches, you have the Homepin logo FOUR TIMES (Hopepin Ltd message, start button, and 2x on the leg bolts). We get it, Homepin made it.

The union jack is a nice choice, but not sure how the purple armor will look with that. It clashes in the small pic we got.

Like others, I'm just hoping the game design is good. Is this a Balcer parting gift, or someone else?

2 weeks later
#521 2 years ago

Some more pics posted of the pin.

Lighting board for the center amp dial graphic on the playfield between the slings with the giant "11" in the middle for some reason.
273362029_1114755909296551_5260562878417342388_n (resized).jpg273362029_1114755909296551_5260562878417342388_n (resized).jpg

Coil assembly parts:
273467364_1115973805841428_6870825436728936533_n (resized).jpg273467364_1115973805841428_6870825436728936533_n (resized).jpg
273505508_1117611852344290_1411416034004807208_n (resized).jpg273505508_1117611852344290_1411416034004807208_n (resized).jpg
273559299_1117611842344291_7509288918824661537_n (resized).jpg273559299_1117611842344291_7509288918824661537_n (resized).jpg

They're putting white pinstadium-like rails on from the factory
273649183_1117636112341864_8009718484936262437_n (resized).jpg273649183_1117636112341864_8009718484936262437_n (resized).jpg
The mounting is super-ugly. With just a little refinement they could make it look much more polished.

#530 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The 11 being in the center was obvious from the small art leak.
Interesting they're using a lamp matrix. Also multiple lamps under the insert lenses. Is the center a ring of lights pointing in? Some of the PCB marks on their lampboard are readable. I think I see "hammer" "torch" "phase" "tomato" and "ham"

Also:
Stage
Stonehenge
Kill (?? can't quite make this one out)
Hell Hole

1 week later
#531 2 years ago

I do like how well Homepin labels their coils. Here's a spinal tap assembly of some kind, a scoop assembly, and some pop bumpers they shared...
274343723_1125112281594247_6488095592184888130_n (resized).jpg274343723_1125112281594247_6488095592184888130_n (resized).jpg273993455_1120918262013649_7646865357707947511_n (resized).jpg273993455_1120918262013649_7646865357707947511_n (resized).jpgscoops assembled (resized).jpgscoops assembled (resized).jpg273995727_1120918245346984_4978349887604235489_n (resized).jpg273995727_1120918245346984_4978349887604235489_n (resized).jpgassembling a mystery mech (resized).jpgassembling a mystery mech (resized).jpg

#537 2 years ago

Do they HAVE to put the homepin logo on EVERYTHING? Talk about making some ugly drop targets...

274749034_1127153441390131_7801689111505056604_n (resized).jpg274749034_1127153441390131_7801689111505056604_n (resized).jpg

"This is one of our trickiest mechanisms to assemble. Inserting the pivot rod is complex as it has numerous nylon bearings along its length. However, our drop target mech makes changing a target VERY easy. Two screws at the bottom and unhook the spring! All parts, including the springs, are stainless steel."

#539 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Seems like that would not be visible once installed.

At the very least it will be partially visible when reset and the target is temporarily higher. Completely unnecessary eyesore.

#545 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What’s up with the hinge design at the bottom of the target?
Also the only noteworthy thing on the website is it seems like May 2022 will be the planned reveal/ship

Talk about reinventing the wheel. Drop target reset tech is well established there was no need to add a hinge and 4 screws to each target to complicate things.

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Reading Mike’s post, it seems like the change was to minimize effort in changing a drop. Unhook the spring, unscrew the hinge, remove the drop and reverse steps for the new one.
Could be an improvement if the hinge doesn’t get gunky?

I don't see the effort savings - seems like a lateral change, and the hinge adds another point of failure.

1 week later
#551 2 years ago

Coinop express had a feature list. Don't recall if this was posted already:

27 Inch backglass LCD monitor
Traditional DMD display
Stainless steel ramps
Quick-release steel metal
Lockdown bar
Original Spinal Tap soundtracks
Cut video scenes from the original movie
Replica models of famous TAP guitars
Exploding drummer feature
Lifetime PCB support

Apparently Jeff Busch is doing the graphics for the game? That does not bode well AT ALL. His American Pinball on-screen graphics were TERRIBLE (especially Oktoberfest's), and his dots resume for the handful of DMD games he's done was nothing great.

#554 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

That should say "Quick-release steel metal lockdown bar" one one line.
Means they are not using the plastic lockdown bar like Thunderbirds.

Yeah, the whole thing read like it was never proofed. Highway games copy-pasted the same bullet list with the same mistake to their site.

2 weeks later
#566 2 years ago

You'd think they'd at least try to clean up the promo shot. Warehouse mess in the backglass reflection. DMD area empty with wiring harness running through it to a mostly empty cabinet where the harness is also visible.

Two words - Gaussian blur.

cabinet-mockup-lightened.jpgcabinet-mockup-lightened.jpg
#570 2 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Who the hell thinks this game will even break even with license and r&d?

Overhead has to be extremely low, so I doubt there's much risk of a loss unless it's a Thunderbirds-level disaster.

#587 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

That’s about what I thought the art would look like.

Photoshop glow all over the place to hide the crappy art cutout jobs.

#591 2 years ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

What in God's name is with those faces?

Pretty sure he just wants credit as the source of the pic when it makes the rounds. Pfeh. Lame.

#600 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Well we've seen when Mike does PR so it's probably for the best that he let's all PR up to the Dist.

But if Mike is withholding anything of substance about the game (gameplay, art, video, etc) to build game anticipation until it has launched, he's still controlling PR badly, just once removed now. We're months past it being announced and it's literally supposed to be out in a matter of weeks and we still know next to nothing about the game. Even Thunderbirds had some pre-launch excitement for the theme and the toys shown. Spinal Tap has even less than THAT.

Hence, weirdest rollout ever.

#611 2 years ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Ugh, that drumkit makes my skin crawl. (Been drumming for 30 years, so bear with me.)
/end rant

I'm also like, was that made by someone with NO KNOWLEDGE of where the drummer sits and what needs to be accessible from that position?

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Designer is Joe Balcer, right?
And artist is Jeff Busch if I recall correctly (most recently did Hot Wheels, Oktoberfest, Houdini).
So set your expectations accordingly.

But do we know if Balcer was there through the project? Because he was in and out at Homepin almost before you could blink. And Jeff Busch's art for AP was mostly a disaster. Like bad flash games. It kind of worked for Houdini, but Oktoberfest was a MESS from a UI design perspective.

#626 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballkim:

The stage looks like a pretty awesome ball trap.

Taking notes for the 6 mods I will sell by fixing this.

1 month later
#669 1 year ago
Quoted from Rat:

Has anyone put a deposit on rude angry Mike's new HomeAway from Home pin yet?

June is 2 days away and no one has even SEEN public promo pics, despite the release that was supposed to be May. I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to put money down on another sketchy Homepin release with no pictures, at the very least.

1 week later
#685 1 year ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

[quoted image]

I need some pepto.

EDIT: From what's visible, overall layout looks like it's heavily influenced by The Getaway.

#697 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I don't see any Getaway in the design.

The ring of inserts in the center of the playfield?
The 3 pops top center?
The targets guarding the pops?
The sweeping ramp on the left?

All very Getaway-esque.

The only thing that kills the vibe is the way-close scoop and standup on the left side.

1 month later
#740 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Can I raise a practical question at this point?

It's pretty clear they're not gonna f'n do Stonehenge!

#747 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Holy fucking shit that's ugly...

I believe the technical term is "fugly."

2 weeks later
#758 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I saw the manual for the game was uploaded
https://www.homepin.com/kits/TAP_MANUAL_WEB.pdf
Interesting they still don't have a better way to update the code on the board (at least you don't have to mail it back and forth now). I'm curious about their opto rollover sensors. I sure hope they're not like Vacation America where clicking a flash light on/off at it can get it to register switch closures....
Hall effect spinners is a neat idea tho. Also there's a bell in the game?

The bell is in the backbox. Do like that addition. At least the parts section of the manual is pretty good. Destroys the disaster of a manual that Toy Story 4 has, so there's that. Still not expecting anything from this pin, but maybe I'll be surprised...

backbox bell (resized).jpgbackbox bell (resized).jpg
1 month later
#770 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Syd:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is there pricing on this yet?

#821 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Incredible. another case of a manufacturer failing to provide a production quality gameplay video before some guy with a cell phone. can't unsee the rattled half ramp shot at the :27 mark.

I just want to know what's up with the seizure-inducing LED inserts in attract mode. I can't believe it looks like that IRL. It has to be some kind of camera framerate thing...

#826 1 year ago

That ping-pong ramp really needed a little more time in engineering. Crazy amount of ball rattle, and it can't make it up the ramp even with a pretty solid shot because of all the energy loss from banging right and left on the ramp walls...

Spinal Tap Ping Pong.gifSpinal Tap Ping Pong.gif
#833 1 year ago
Quoted from Zzap:

So, was it due October this year?

Hmmm, looks like there's still a lot of space to the left to make a clean shot of that ramp

Why we need more footage of play. We have literally one ramp shot to look at and it's a reject, even though there was plenty of power going into it.

So, better than Thunderbirds ramp to nowhere, only now you can't complete the shot...

#842 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I will say, if the cocoon locks, then releases the balls for multiball, that's awesome.

Broken within the first year.

#846 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Anyone know if this was designed in house or it’s the the mysteriously rumored Papaduik design?

Balcer was supposed to be at Homepin for a minute or two. Could have been his.

#858 1 year ago

Here's the video for those smartly avoiding Facebook:

Looks really badly conceived and executed.

#872 1 year ago

That 44 sec clip was already posted a couple pages back:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap/page/16#post-7140337

It's where the ramp rattle gif came from...

Spinal Tap Ping Pong.gifSpinal Tap Ping Pong.gif
#873 1 year ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I am really surprised that Homepin let go control of the narrative so easily here. Get someone who can play in, create a real video, don’t let people post up brick fests as the first impression of your machine. This is marketing 101.

I'm not surprised, but it certainly isn't doing them any favors. For a few hundred bucks, maybe $1k tops, they could have made a misleading, exciting video that gave the machine its moment in the sun. I can't imagine selling many at $9.5k with the word of mouth these on-site videos will create.

A complete waste of a stellar pinball license.

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Also, why is there a Homepin logo on a plastic between the two ramps??? Would you ever see a Stern/JJP/AP-branded plastic in the middle of a licensed title?
Also also, what kind of "explosion" is the drummer experiencing up there in ball trap city...?
[quoted image]

The drums are also situated so they are impossible to play. But yeah, that hot glue mess is really embarrassing assembly. Like a C+ art project in grade school.

1 week later
#1047 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I was reminded of this project
https://scandinavianpinball.com/troll-the-pinball-machine/
>Troll – the Pinball Machine, release 2022…
>Development has started in cooperation with Homepin and enthusiasts worldwide
Wonder what the status on that is...
Also did we ever see better photos of the Chinese Zombie game? I've seen some cabinet photos but not much of the playfield

He wouldn't post any of the playfield. Blurred stuff out. Shame because I would have liked to see that one.

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm curious if Tap is the zombie layout reimagined (nothing wrong with that)

Haha! Hilarious. I think you've hit it. Based on the underside of the Chinese Zombies (you need to rotate as the image is showing the PF from the wrong end), the lower scoop with the target next to it is there, the three standup targets on the right are there, the drop targets in the center with the pop triangle behind it are there. All that seems to be different at the PF level is the insert cutouts. Now we know why Balcer was told Homepin had another design already - it was Chinese Ghosts!

4916389cb1ec0e9a8468f46dc0dc7eec6dc7efef.jpg4916389cb1ec0e9a8468f46dc0dc7eec6dc7efef.jpg
#1052 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You can see photos of the Porsche game, they're around. It's a bit obscured but you can see enough to tell that he basically redesigned Firepower (with drops, Steve Ritchie would be so proud)
[quoted image]

If you're going to hell for stealing, might as well steal from the best.

#1057 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also thinking about if this game was about jiangshi in the past, the pod mech on Tap could have easily been a "cave" or "coffin" mech for a zombie vampire to come out of.

Unfortunately, even if the theme is interesting, the effort put into the code is probably still lacking, so it likely sucked, too.

#1063 1 year ago
Quoted from WODKA:

There is a pic of the lower part of the playfield somewhere on Pinside.

Yeah, I must have missed that. The only Chinese Ghosts playfield pic I have is when it's in the cab, and the PF is blurred out.

4 months later
#1108 1 year ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Sorry all - wanted to like it and it’s just not that good.

Well, at least Homepin is consistent.

#1110 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

He said he played it after Spinal Tap to compare. Yeah it’s there.

Heh, that's what I get for perusing.

#1121 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Thunderbirds is most certainly an epic license. If I could be bothered I'd show you why. Homepin are pretty clueless with it comes to making fun pinball experiences. They need a talented Creative Director.

They had Balcer for a hot minute on Spinal Tap, but that failed for some reason and Homepin decided they could do it themselves.

They were wrong.

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

They are junk. Do not put them in any of your games. We learnt that lesson the hard way.

Easily roughed up? Easily magnetized? Rust easily? Pitted? How are they junk?

1 month later
#1157 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Can't decide if this is better or worse than the GTF reveal video. Yikes

Worse. Mostly because it shows almost none of the machine in action. Tight, quick shots that are not compelling.

4 weeks later
#1366 11 months ago
Quoted from timarnold:

Spent several hours on the Spinal Tap flippers yesterday. AT first I thought that perhaps a coil change might solve the weakness problem, but after a measurement, I discovered that the coil were an exact copy of the William 11629-Blue, so that was not where the problem was. What I figured out was most of the problem was in the depth of stroke. By shaving off 2 MM of the 3MM bracket bumper and installing a shorter Williams coil stop, I got a substantial increase in degrees of arc. I also picked up a few more degrees by changing the plunger and link to a shorter version with a bevel in the link that allowed the plunged to hit the stop inside the coil and not the front bracket.

Crazy that Homepin hasn't had this engineering realization almost half a year since they first showed it. Nice work figuring it out!

1 month later
#1402 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Whining about how "tournament players are ruining pinball" has always been the last refuge of a scoundrel!

Lyman's genius was he could generate code that was approachable for the unwashed masses, yet deep enough for tournament players.

3 weeks later
#1410 9 months ago
Quoted from koji:

With no video/audio assets, it seems difficult. Would be great if they could pull in a known designer to work with the general layout etc.

They had Balcer and he lasted like 10 seconds.

2 weeks later
#1416 8 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Kudos to Homepin Mike. The target consumer he described does exist.

The booger-eating crowd?

Yeah, Thunderbirds is a pinball that will pass the time for kids, but why not put them in front of a GOOD pin or a series of them to tune their tastelevel? After comparing it to a few actually fun pins, they'll understand the issues.

7 months later
#1479 25 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I think it was working as intended. We still stopped playing mid ball one

Pinball is hard.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.