Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-5.56.01-PM-1 (1) (resized).png
images (1) (resized).jpg
20230916_092647 (resized).jpg
IMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg
C1DF8539-E0F7-4F4B-9DBE-6C563D7B9C4B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#525 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Stayed tuned as there's more "I can't believe they got this wrong" to come. I so wanted a Spinal Tap pin but, unfortunately, the wrong manufacturer got the license!

I'm curious about the details in the license, though, since they're based in Taiwan and their market is most likely 80% outside the US. There might be legal room for another manufacturer(US based) to make a Spinal Tap, even a smaller one doing a limited run, could be awesome.

1 week later
#534 2 years ago

But why should anything be hidden? It's literally in plain sight on the amp in the movie and the special edition mini-amps Marshall made years ago. There's really no good reason I can think of to deviate from the iconic design that was seen in the movie. The joke is that his amp is one louder. He points it out, it looks odd because it's custom. The joke is audible and visible. Zero good design reasons to abandon those tenets.

Now, if that light board that was obviously meant to use that joke as a game mode, then why not have all eleven dial positions(as seen in the movie) and THEN do something in the middle for when eleven is hit or "full"? I don't know, seemed like an easy thing to have done.

Full disclosure, I've had the same avatar here on Pinside since I first joined. I've never changed it. It's not my absolute favorite movie in the world, but it's up there!

4 months later
#748 1 year ago

Point of order:

The line from the movie is "These go to eleven", not "this one goes to eleven."

Unless they're talking about the pin itself, this is kind of a fail on its own. Plus, and I think I mentioned it before, I would've made the whole "11" thing an oversized amp knob up in the back corner of the playfield that uses a stepper motor that'll physically turn the knob to run up the numbers as gameplay goes(most likely the same way it does currently in lights). That way it takes up a space that's usually awkward to fill with something that doesn't require too much visual interaction to understand what's happening with it at any moment. But that's just me. Again, we don't know how limiting the licensors might have been with artwork and game design/layout. If the game plays great and integrates the sounds/callouts well, it should be just fine.

#753 1 year ago

Also because there are plenty of games out there in pinball-dom that have horrible or even stupid themes but play amazing and are legendary, much sought after games.

1 month later
#841 1 year ago

Well, it looks a lot better than I was expecting. Kinda reminds me of a Spooky made game. My only real gripe so far artwork-wise is the centerpiece eleven knob thing. It doesn't look like the/a knob at all and evokes no imagery or memories from the movie. This part could've been done WAY better in a myriad of ways, different artwork being the easiest all the way up to an actual spinning disc that ratchets up with each number gained during gameplay, then spins during multiball.

I will say, if the cocoon locks, then releases the balls for multiball, that's awesome.

2 weeks later
#1059 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don't think there is anything wrong with repeats in layouts.

It defeats any claim to originality and usually isn't as good as the original. Plus, when it's as blatant is Porsche is to Firepower, it's kinda sad. Completely devoid of innovation or effort. My preemptive rebuttal to any arguments against my reasoning is Keith Elwin. GZ is awesome on many levels, especially for a single level playfield game.

#1062 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also my rebuttal is simply how many people love to buy the basic fan layout. Giant outside orbit, two ramps, and a central bash toy. That basic design is the core to numerous popular games.

Oh, we agree on that one. Hence, I'm not a huge fan of MM, AFM, or MB. They're funny games, but boring to shoot.

#1065 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

How so funny?

MM has a lot of Python-like humor in it. MB is also very creative with the callouts and has a lot of fun with the lore of the Universal Monsters. AFM also has some good humor to it, poking fun at a lot of sci-fi/alien tropes. All of these games have their tongues firmly in their cheeks and are very enjoyable to listen to.

#1068 1 year ago
Quoted from RGR:

How about MET, TF, IM, Gaurdians, ST, Stranger things, SW, LZ???? Should be included in the list

I think I have about 10 games total on all of those titles combined. You should also include Austin Powers in that list since Iron Man is a virtual duplicate of AP. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind having a fan style game like these in my collection, but probably just the one.

Also, there are many flavors of games out there and likewise, just as many flavors of pinball owners and what they like. If the fan layout didn't sell well, you wouldn't see it anymore. Just the same, if Lawlor's standard layout didn't sell well, we wouldn't keep seeing it.

2 weeks later
#1087 1 year ago
Quoted from blue95:

Bailey Ladders gave a couple away on the Matty Johns Show the other week, I didn't win

Wow, so they're not the same four or five games they just keep re-themeing? That's kind of impressive. Where are they getting all the donor Firepowers? If they're building them all from scratch, bravo! I'd be curious how long it takes them to build one and what their cost and BOM looks like. That's impressive if they're all from scratch.

3 months later
#1122 1 year ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

and it’s basically a hardtop on wood which is just like Thunderbirds and not a bad idea.

If it's just a hardtop, then why even use a piece of wood? Why not develop your own plastic, metal, or other piece of engineered material? Or is it just a cheap piece of plywood?

Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Thunderbirds is most certainly an epic license.

Here in the states, it was mildly popular, but in most of the rest of the english speaking world, it was WAY more popular.

2 months later
#1348 11 months ago
FeminineHappyFulmar-size_restricted.gifFeminineHappyFulmar-size_restricted.gif
#1358 10 months ago
galaxy-quest-laughing.gifgalaxy-quest-laughing.gif
#1367 10 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Crazy that Homepin hasn't had this engineering realization almost half a year since they first showed it. Nice work figuring it out!

It comes from selecting parts off the shelf and "knowing" that they're supposed to work together; instead of putting them together, playing them, realizing they don't work well together, and actually knowing how to fix the situation.

1 month later
#1396 9 months ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Look up reviews for Battlefield Earth. It's a terrible film; badly made, terribly written, and a huge financial loss. Fitting for Homepin.

Fairly certain that was the joke. I guess not everybody remembers how much of a failure that movie was. From what I heard of it, it was just a huge Scientology propaganda piece.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Miguel351.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap?tu=Miguel351 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.