IMG_4555 (resized).jpeg
Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-5.56.01-PM-1 (1) (resized).png
images (1) (resized).jpg
20230916_092647 (resized).jpg
IMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,479 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 30.
#1351 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Parroting movie lines as if they were AWESOME (to close the circle) is way on the stupid side.

Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

#1352 11 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't know....even though I haven't had it in many years, I remember liking Fosters Beer. Did not know it moved to being made in the US
[quoted image]

I’d drink that. Really I would…

#1353 11 months ago

Me: …trying to figure out how to casually work the phrase “You can’t really dust for vomit” into the conversation…

R.I.P. Stumpy Joe

#1354 11 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't know....even though I haven't had it in many years, I remember liking Fosters Beer. Did not know it moved to being made in the US
[quoted image]

Ah , the grid girls at the GP , used to be my favourite thing but these days you're not allowed to like sexy girls

#1355 11 months ago

This thread just isn’t drawing the crowds it used to.

84B135B0-A018-4E99-8DD4-2ADBC44AE310 (resized).png84B135B0-A018-4E99-8DD4-2ADBC44AE310 (resized).png
#1356 11 months ago

Is it going to be at the Ann Arbor show this weekend? I wouldn’t worry about though; it’s not a big college town.

#1357 11 months ago
Homepin and Spinal Tap 3 (resized).jpgHomepin and Spinal Tap 3 (resized).jpg
#1358 11 months ago
galaxy-quest-laughing.gifgalaxy-quest-laughing.gif
#1359 11 months ago

giphy (20).gifgiphy (20).gif

#1360 11 months ago

I was hoping PinStar Joe would have a Spinal Tap machine at The Allentown Pinball Show today. It was a great show but unfortunately he didn’t have the machine in his booth.

Hopefully there will be one at The York Pinball Show in the Fall.

C1DF8539-E0F7-4F4B-9DBE-6C563D7B9C4B (resized).jpegC1DF8539-E0F7-4F4B-9DBE-6C563D7B9C4B (resized).jpeg
#1361 11 months ago

Got to play Tap at the Las Vegas Pinball Hall of fame this week. Flippers were unfortunately very weak so was no able to fully enjoy the game integration with the movie clips

AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpegAEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg
#1362 11 months ago

Tap into AMERICA!!!

#1363 11 months ago

Spent several hours on the Spinal Tap flippers yesterday. AT first I thought that perhaps a coil change might solve the weakness problem, but after a measurement, I discovered that the coil were an exact copy of the William 11629-Blue, so that was not where the problem was. What I figured out was most of the problem was in the depth of stroke. By shaving off 2 MM of the 3MM bracket bumper and installing a shorter Williams coil stop, I got a substantial increase in degrees of arc. I also picked up a few more degrees by changing the plunger and link to a shorter version with a bevel in the link that allowed the plunged to hit the stop inside the coil and not the front bracket.

In the end I came very close to the feel of the current Stern or classic WMS flippers without changing the designers intent, something we always consider here at the PHOF when attempting a change in game play of any sort.

In a hundred words of less, YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND THE BALL GOES UP THE RAMP!

#1364 11 months ago
Quoted from timarnold:

Spent several hours on the Spinal Tap flippers yesterday. AT first I thought that perhaps a coil change might solve the weakness problem, but after a measurement, I discovered that the coil were an exact copy of the William 11629-Blue, so that was not where the problem was. What I figured out was most of the problem was in the depth of stroke. By shaving off 2 MM of the 3MM bracket bumper and installing a shorter Williams coil stop, I got a substantial increase in degrees of arc. I also picked up a few more degrees by changing the plunger and link to a shorter version with a bevel in the link that allowed the plunged to hit the stop inside the coil and not the front bracket.
In the end I came very close to the feel of the current Stern or classic WMS flippers without changing the designers intent, something we always consider here at the PHOF when attempting a change in game play of any sort.

Hopefully the designer sees your post.

#1365 11 months ago
Quoted from timarnold:

They have had 8 months since the reveal at Pinfest where Homepin attended and got this feedback from every person who played the machine, assuming the designers had never played it before release, until now.

And they still left it up to their customers to redesign the mechanicals so the machine functions as intended.

So all 6 of these machines they sell will need to have the customers contact you to find out how to make the flippers work.

#1366 11 months ago
Quoted from timarnold:

Crazy that Homepin hasn't had this engineering realization almost half a year since they first showed it. Nice work figuring it out!

#1367 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Crazy that Homepin hasn't had this engineering realization almost half a year since they first showed it. Nice work figuring it out!

It comes from selecting parts off the shelf and "knowing" that they're supposed to work together; instead of putting them together, playing them, realizing they don't work well together, and actually knowing how to fix the situation.

1 week later
#1368 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

They have had 8 months since the reveal at Pinfest where Homepin attended and got this feedback from every person who played the machine, assuming the designers had never played it before release, until now.
And they still left it up to their customers to redesign the mechanicals so the machine functions as intended.
So all 6 of these machines they sell will need to have the customers contact you to find out how to make the flippers work.

Good one

4 weeks later
#1369 10 months ago

I have a production update on This is Spinal Tap and Homepin's next game for anyone who's interested...

https://www.knapparcade.org/post/homepin-plans-to-reveal-sub-5-000-licensed-game-based-on-extremely-famous-movie

347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
#1370 10 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

I have a production update on This is Spinal Tap and Homepin's next game for anyone who's interested...
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/homepin-plans-to-reveal-sub-5-000-licensed-game-based-on-extremely-famous-movie[quoted image]

Some interesting takeaways here, this part really stuck out to me:

These playfields do not use clearcoat, but rather have art sandwiched between levels. Mike claims that Haggis Pinball copied his playfield design.

Also this part. I wonder if the Pulp Fiction guys also stole this idea from Mike lol

has decided to create a "cut-down" machine that doesn't have a DMD or a monitor, reminiscent of Bally Solid State games. It has made a commitment to the owners of the game's IP that he will show the game at next year's Pinball Expo in Chicago. The visit to the show and the reveal will be Mike's first trip to America. The Company's goal is to have the new game retail for $4,999 USD.

I shudder to think about what the license their going to ruin next will be.

#1371 10 months ago

I'll guess it's something like Airplane!

#1372 10 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

These playfields do not use clearcoat, but rather have art sandwiched between levels. Mike claims that Haggis Pinball copied his playfield design.

Yeah well neither one of them invented putting the art between a large sheet of plastic and a wood substrate, so who cares? They probably came up with the idea on their own

#1373 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah well neither one of them invented putting the art between a large sheet of plastic and a wood substrate, so who cares? They probably came up with the idea on their own

IKR. Thinking about my Interflip Dragon from the 70s.. 50 years later and people are talking about copying ideas.

I suppose next will be who will copy an inverted flipper?

#1374 10 months ago

They only have the license for another year.

#1375 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'll guess it's something like Airplane!

That would be a shame!
I love that movie just as much a Spinal Tap.
Hilarious!

#1376 10 months ago

Actually rereading it, he doesn’t have audio or video rights so nevermind to Airplane! (Or at least I hope). You pick a theme like that if you’re not doing a DMD/LCD because it’s so quotable. But if they can’t do audio or video? Who knows…

#1377 10 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:I have a production update on This is Spinal Tap and Homepin's next game for anyone who's interested...
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/homepin-plans-to-reveal-sub-5-000-licensed-game-based-on-extremely-famous-movie[quoted image]

TLDR version: "Sod it, it worked for Pulp Fiction."

#1378 10 months ago

Is everyone listening to this podcast? https://thepinballnetwork.podbean.com/e/the-aussie-pinball-podcast-ep-16-mike-from-homepin/

Hi Mike I know you are watching.

Wow........same old Mike sadly
Every five minutes he dropped a bullshit bombshell.
As usual, in his opinion everyone who doesn't like his games or has any criticism is either "wrong, on drugs, an idiot, or a lier" OMFG
He actually dissed nearly every modern pinball manufacturer as they are stupid enough to use motherboards in their games. (Mike I'm posting this on a PC with a 15yr old motherboard, my mame PCs are older)
He purposefully misrepresented why he doesn't want to deal with USA and why he is unpopular there.
One of my biggest surprises was that he now uses PayPal. After ranting on about them for a decade on Aussie Arcade until everyone was sick to death of it and saying NUMEROUS times that he will NEVER use them, now he does. But he has made that the banking systems problem Really PayPal should ban him just like every online forum in the world has.
Another surprise was when he mentioned Haggis Pinball but only to say that Haggis had copied his playfield idea.
I'm so glad that Haggis has been able to successfully manufacture pinballs in Australia. (Mike has always said that would be impossible)
Aparently Mike has read the post above about the fix for the flippers, but now claims the fix is his own research.

Also I love that only a couple of mins after saying Spinal Tap would cost about $9,600 he then said there is no way that he personally would spend $10k on a pinball machine.

#1379 10 months ago

Just listened. What a deeply strange interview.

#1380 10 months ago

At least Mike loves Mike

#1381 10 months ago

I need the cliff notes. I like John, only met Mike for one weekend, but i don't need two hours of his life story.

Didn't get through the first couple paragraphs.

#1382 10 months ago

LOL at that interview. Homepin, made by people who can't play pinball for people who can't play pinball. WTF?

1 week later
#1383 10 months ago

I could see Homepin having bought The Princess Bride license if it wasn't Spooky...

It would also line up with the comment about a lot of different companies owning a part of it. A lot of people have owned the film and have had various stakes. Pretty sure the people who own the Spinal Tap film own the The Princess Bride film

#1384 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:I could see Homepin having bought The Princess Bride license if it wasn't Spooky...
It would also line up with the comment about a lot of different companies owning a part of it. A lot of people have owned the film and have had various stakes. Pretty sure the people who own the Spinal Tap film own the The Princess Bride film

They already wasted spinal tap, I’d hate to see them also waste the princess Bride, and how would you do it with our clips or voice calls from the movie? Inconceivable!!

#1385 10 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

They already wasted spinal tap, I’d hate to see them also waste the princess Bride, and how would you do it with our clips or voice calls from the movie? Inconceivable!!

With the finest voice actors Mike can afford on Fiverr

#1386 10 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

Yeah, looking at Pulp Fiction, this was still a very full license, with the sound and callouts, the package works.

When you take away ALL of those media assets, it would be like re-theming any old classic, which can be neat.. but not a example of what you could or should really do with a license if you have the technology.

#1387 10 months ago
Quoted from rosh:

Mike doesen't, by any chance, have six fingers on his left hand, does he?

#1388 10 months ago

Good news guys.... "After several months of testing on site in a British pub in Taipei it was decided to add a "save post" between the flippers to extend ball time. Since this post was installed on the test machine, the feedback about this post has been very positive. We will now include it in every machine."

355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
#1389 10 months ago

He has secured the Battlefield Earth license.

IMG_6233 (resized).jpegIMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
#1390 10 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

We will now include it in every machine

Who are you quoting there?

Quoted from insight75:

testing on site in a British pub in Taipei

I'm going to guess that there are very few pinball machines in Taipei, the people testing this machine are most likely not very experienced players. Thus they are enjoying the longer ball times with the post.
Mike must not be able to find any experienced player to test his machine. Putting a post in (if it is going to be factory installed) is a very big change this late in the development of the game.
I wonder how this will change the ball times for experinced players? experienced players is not the market Mike is aiming for would be the answer.

#1391 10 months ago

Don't much matter if it don't go up the ramp.

#1392 10 months ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

He has secured the Battlefield Earth license.
[quoted image]

And you know this how? I call horse shit!.

I would bet the licence is Airplane. There is already a home-brew in Newcastle with all the work already done. Now the flipper strength has been resolved, maybe the ball will make it up the ramps.

#1393 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

And you know this how? I call horse shit!.
I would bet the licence is Airplane. There is already a home-brew in Newcastle with all the work already done. Now the flipper strength has been resolved, maybe the ball will make it up the ramps.

Look up reviews for Battlefield Earth. It's a terrible film; badly made, terribly written, and a huge financial loss. Fitting for Homepin.

#1394 10 months ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Look up reviews for Battlefield Earth. It's a terrible film; badly made, terribly written, and a huge financial loss. Fitting for Homepin.

Ha ha ha!..

#1395 10 months ago
Quoted from Rat:

I'm going to guess that there are very few pinball machines in Taipei, the people testing this machine are most likely not very experienced players. Thus they are enjoying the longer ball times with the post.
Mike must not be able to find any experienced player to test his machine. Putting a post in (if it is going to be factory installed) is a very big change this late in the development of the game.
I wonder how this will change the ball times for experinced players? experienced players is not the market Mike is aiming for would be the answer.

Was on Facebook.

#1396 10 months ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Fairly certain that was the joke. I guess not everybody remembers how much of a failure that movie was. From what I heard of it, it was just a huge Scientology propaganda piece.

#1397 10 months ago

at least he will get the award for 2nd worst pinball of all time to add to TBAG Trophy.

#1398 10 months ago
Quoted from Rat:

Mike doesn't want experienced players playing his games, by his own admission. Its really weird. He thinks all the other games are only made for "tournament players" and they aren't fun for normal people to walk up and play, which is bafflingly false. His games are designed to just "knock the ball around and have a good time", which it pretty much fails at I guess unless maybe its your first and only time ever playing pinball

#1399 10 months ago

I didn't know Spinal Tap was huge in Taipei

#1400 10 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I didn't know Spinal Tap was huge in Taipei

[I thought this was the from movie, but this was from a Simpsons cameo]

David St. Hubbins: Well, after the Berlin Wall fell, our records started selling on the dismal side of the Iron Curtain, and naturally that gave us a boost.
Nigel Tufnel: We're very big in Bulgaria, and wassisname, the other garia.
David: Hungaria.
Nigel: Yeah, whoever.
Derek Smalls: I can't think of anyone who's benefited more from the death of Communism than us.
Nigel: Oh, maybe the people who actually live in the Communist countries.
Derek: Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that. I bet you're right.
Nigel: Yeah, on the other hand, each of us just bought our own soccer team. How many Hungarians can say that, eh?

There are 1,479 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.