Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-5.56.01-PM-1 (1) (resized).png
images (1) (resized).jpg
20230916_092647 (resized).jpg
IMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg
C1DF8539-E0F7-4F4B-9DBE-6C563D7B9C4B (resized).jpeg

There are 1,475 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 30.
#1151 11 months ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

Truly a strange and baffling trailer. Can’t believe that’s the second time I’m saying this in a matter of weeks.

After the GNR promo clip everyone wants to put a sexy chick in playing their game

#1153 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

After the GNR promo clip everyone wants to put a sexy chick in playing their game

been doing it forever

#1154 11 months ago

My .02$….if pins were bought by just watching the teaser vids they would sell many. But in this case….wait…but people already do that.

#1155 11 months ago

Can't decide if this is better or worse than the GTF reveal video. Yikes

#1156 11 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

been doing it forever

JJP did it best

#1157 11 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Can't decide if this is better or worse than the GTF reveal video. Yikes

Worse. Mostly because it shows almost none of the machine in action. Tight, quick shots that are not compelling.

#1158 11 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

been doing it forever

Now I think I want to look for one of these.

#1159 11 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Has the price been listed somewhere yet?

Nope stay tuned we are still working on figuring that out factoring in overseas shipping costs.

#1160 11 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Worse. Mostly because it shows almost none of the machine in action. Tight, quick shots that are not compelling.

Can say that about the GTF trailer too though, and at least this one is funny bad, instead of intentionally bad (which is bad bad)

#1161 11 months ago

So they are really going to go through with producing these huh?

That trailer made GTF's look like it was directed by Scorcese.

And make no mistake about it GTF's trailer is an all-time pinball embarrassment.

Yeah the babe is cute but why was her sole direction instruction "Pretend you've had a lobotomy?"

#1162 11 months ago

Looks pretty good
…too bad I already spent all my pin money for the year.

#1163 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah the babe is cute but why was her sole direction instruction "Pretend you've had a lobotomy?"

84E61B1E-80AF-4625-BBCF-2EE3C3326855 (resized).jpeg84E61B1E-80AF-4625-BBCF-2EE3C3326855 (resized).jpeg
#1164 11 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

You know what they say

If you have to ask...

...You are possibly considering buying this thing and should probably be subjected to a conservatorship before you completely destroy yourself financially by making horrible decisions.

#1165 11 months ago

Anyone else think of Full Metal Jacket while watching the video?

#1166 11 months ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Anyone else think of Full Metal Jacket while watching the video?

Yes, it did make me think about shooting myself in the head while on the toilet.

#1167 11 months ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You know what they say
If you have to ask...
...You are possibly considering buying this thing and should probably be subjected to a conservatorship before you completely destroy yourself financially by making horrible decisions.

A bargain at only an expected ~$9500 (according to Knapp Arcade)

#1168 11 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

A bargain at only an expected ~$9500 (according to Knapp Arcade)

Where do I sign up!!

#1169 11 months ago

We were told it was $5k more than the Fathom Mermaid it was sitting next to at Pinfest Newcastle if i recall correctly.

#1170 11 months ago
CelebratedBonyAmericancicada-max-1mb.gifCelebratedBonyAmericancicada-max-1mb.gif
#1171 11 months ago

Deposit on my LE is in!!

#1172 11 months ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

Homepin released an official trailer for This is Spinal Tap pinball this morning...
https://www.knapparcade.org/post/homepin-launches-official-trailer-for-its-this-is-spinal-tap-pinball-machine
[quoted image]

I think they hit it spot on ! The best way to even hope to sell this game is to not show the game and even less to play the game.

#1173 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, it did make me think about shooting myself in the head while on the toilet.

Ha ha! I have never played a Homepin machine. I heard they play bad. A spinal tap theme seems like it would be awful.

#1174 11 months ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Ha ha! I have never played a Homepin machine. I heard they play bad. A spinal tap theme seems like it would be awful.

The theme isn't the awful part, it's everything else.

#1175 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So they are really going to go through with producing these huh?
That trailer made GTF's look like it was directed by Scorcese.
And make no mistake about it GTF's trailer is an all-time pinball embarrassment.

Hey don't talk about Mikes girlfriend this way !

#1176 11 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

The theme isn't the awful part, it's everything else.

And the theme.

#1177 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

And the theme.

Movie is popular enough and has a cult following, it would sell like hotcakes if a competent pinball manufacturer did it right.

#1178 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Haha! I needed that laugh. Take my upvote.

#1179 11 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

Movie is popular enough and has a cult following, it would sell like hotcakes if a competent pinball manufacturer did it right.

I'd never heard of it and when i looked it up i could see it was stupid.

Hotcakes eh?

Let's see.

#1180 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

But this is a sexy lady boy.

#1181 11 months ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

But this is a sexy lady boy.

I’m not lady, I’m lady booooooooy

#1182 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

I'd never heard of it

…ahhh - a real ‘comedy connoisseur’ are we?

#1183 11 months ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

…ahhh - a real ‘comedy connoisseur’ are we?

I see, if i've never heard of something that means i am lacking as a person?

What a world you live in.

#1184 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

No, but you probably shouldn't pass judgement on the movie if you haven't seen it.
Really is a good, funny movie.

#1185 11 months ago

I like the Union Jack dress.
Classy touch, best part of promo!

#1186 11 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

No, but you probably shouldn't pass judgement on the movie if you haven't seen it.
Really is a good, funny movie.

Correct, you are right. I'll say it looked stupid from a cursory glance to me then.

But in any case the theme is lame as far as i'm concerned. Even if some people liked the movie.

And it ain't 1984 no more folks. Mayhaps they've had better concepts for pinball since then.

And i have played the pinball machine, so i guess i'm entitled to an opinion on it. We are, after all discussing the pinball machine, not the movie.

#1187 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

What a world you live in.

Quoted from punkin:

when i looked it up i could see it was stupid.

I apologize. I should obviously defer to someone who can “look up” one of the most revered comedies ever and immediately dismiss it as “stupid”. My hat is off to you, Good Sir!

#1188 11 months ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I apologize. I should obviously defer to someone who can “look up” one of the most revered comedies ever and immediately dismiss it as “stupid”. My hat is off to you, Good Sir!

Well, no. No deference needed.

But you can let someone have an opinion you don't agree with without belittling them as a person.

Twice.

#1189 11 months ago

Marty DiBergi : The last time Tap toured America, they were, uh, booked into 10,000 seat arenas, and 15,000 seat venues, and it seems that now, on their current tour they're being booked into 1,200 seat arenas, 1,500 seat arenas, and uh I was just wondering, does this mean, uh, the popularity of the group is waning?

Ian Faith : Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no. No, not at all. I - I - I just think that the, uh, their appeal is becoming more selective.

Seems like the appeal of the pinball is very selective.

#1190 11 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

I like the Union Jack dress.
Classy touch, best part of promo!

Would look better off....
Just booked and paid for my economy class ticket to Taiwan

#1191 11 months ago

I played it at the Pinball Hall of Fame last week. It's epically bad. I got a free game and walked away.
Thunderbirds was right across from it and was way better. (I can't believe i just said that, because it was horrid)
IMG_4187 (resized).jpegIMG_4187 (resized).jpegIMG_4188 (resized).jpegIMG_4188 (resized).jpeg

#1192 11 months ago
Quoted from EvillePinball:

Thunderbirds was right across from it and was way better

1D3EF0D1-C943-4990-8B24-9E6627244E4A (resized).jpeg1D3EF0D1-C943-4990-8B24-9E6627244E4A (resized).jpeg3CB0A0C8-6F0A-4FFF-B785-605B1BA5AEA4 (resized).jpeg3CB0A0C8-6F0A-4FFF-B785-605B1BA5AEA4 (resized).jpeg
#1193 11 months ago

I played it at the Pinball Hall of Fame last week. It's epically bad. I got a free game and walked away.
Thunderbirds was right across from it and was way better. (I can't believe i just said that, because it was horrid)

Intriguing. What made the game not just worse than Thunderbirds but much worse?

#1194 11 months ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

I haven't been to the PHOF, but wouldn't they normally put the price on the price card...and not the front door? Is that a Home Pin choice or a Tim choice? (I actually kinda like the design of the apron cards as concert tickets though)

#1195 11 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I second what Eville Pinball just said... because I did exactly the same thing at PHOF LOL!... I played it once, walked over to Thunderbirds, as it had been a few years... and YES, Thunderbirds is WAY more fun and more complete feeling... even with a plastic lock-down bar! Suddenly I forgave that, the bad animations, orange led screen, weird scoring and odd layout after Spinal Tap. Honestly, you would have to really love that movie to see past some things. But each to their own.

I was at PHOF on 3/25/23 about 2 hours before closing. I played Spinal Tap despite a broken-weak left flipper (they eventually turned it off)... and even with 2 flippers there is just nothing particularly fun about this experience. It looks okay enough, but it ends there. Even the shooter lane groove looks bad... on every other machine I have ever seen, that groove is a smooth beveled depression in the shooter lane... not Spinal Tap... it is a hard edge 90 degree angle (you can see it in the photo Eville Pinball posted but in person it screams at you - it is very Ikea furniture feeling/looking in that sense). So odd. The music, callouts etc. don't appear related to what is happening... just random stuff playing which just felt distracting.

Back to Thunderbirds. Yes, it looks cheap, plastic lock-down bar, silly ramp in the middle and all... but honestly it feels like a more complete (and fun) game vs Spinal Tap. Spinal Tap looks nice in person... but feels prototype/home brew like when played.

Comparitively, another game who is a true looker is Magic Girl. I played Dutch Magic Girl at expo last year and was totally surprised as it wasn't just all looks-Zombie Yeti art box... but it was actually a really fun game to play, had the one-more-time feel and the animations and callouts were related to what you are doing or just did (still proto-type like but solid and relevent and it worked)... and Magic Girl has no shooter groove at all! LOL.

#1196 11 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

You know, i’m no expert on them. I played 1 game on each.. Not really sure how to describe it. Spinal Tap was a fan layout basically that felt like it had nothing in it. There didn’t seem to be very many inserts either. Seemed like a dumbed down cheap alternative to a modern pin. Maybe the code isn’t very far along and that’s why but honestly i was ready to quit after ball one. I typically do like fan layouts so that wasn’t it.

Thunderbirds at least had more to look at with the long ramp up the middle and some depth up the sides under wire forms. It seemed like it had more going on as far as code and integration. Felt a little less cheap but still a big miss. But ya, not something i’ll probably play again either.

#1197 11 months ago

It eludes me how Mike dumps so much effort into doing everything his way, making factories and setting up shop (twice!), seems to have some pretty good success with reproduction parts, then just goes so half-assed on pins, one after another.

On the other side of the table, who are these licensors selling their IP to a company with a terrible track record and no market traction?
Thunderbirds isn't a huge market in the US, but the Spinal Tap had such great potential.

How many of these will get made and sold? 50 seems generous.

#1198 11 months ago
Quoted from dudah:

On the other side of the table, who are these licensors selling their IP to a company with a terrible track record and no market traction?

The Spinal Tap license is a weird one...It's been the subject of numerous legal battles and has always seemed to be kind of a shit show. I believe in the past the Spinal Tap guys are legally required to "do something" once every 8 years or so or they'll lose control of the license.

Doesn't surprise me that these amateurs were able to scoop it up for a pin. It's definitely a Bush League license. I doubt the current owners have much experience in licensing their product, or have much experience in vetting licensors.

As far as I can tell here's how it has been settled as of the last of many court cases...

https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-east/entertainment/2020/12/31/settlement-reached-in-la--spinal-tap-creators-set-up-licensing-company#:~:text=Settlement%20Reached%20in%20LA%2C%20Spinal%20Tap%20Creators%20Set%20up%20Licensing%20Company&text=LOS%20ANGELES%20(CNS)%20%E2%80%94%20With,mockumentary%20and%20all%20related%20matters.

#1199 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

Well, no. No deference needed.
But you can let someone have an opinion you don't agree with without belittling them as a person.
Twice.

Your opinion (shitting on a movie you haven’t seen in a thread where there are likely fans) got some pushback? How rude and unexpected! Oh, Honey!

#1200 11 months ago
Quoted from spinout:

I second what Eville Pinball just said... because I did exactly the same thing at PHOF LOL!... I played it once, walked over to Thunderbirds, as it had been a few years... and YES, Thunderbirds is WAY more fun and more complete feeling... even with a plastic lock-down bar! Suddenly I forgave that, the bad animations, orange led screen, weird scoring and odd layout after Spinal Tap. Honestly, you would have to really love that movie to see past some things. But each to their own.
I was at PHOF on 3/25/23 about 2 hours before closing. I played Spinal Tap despite a broken-weak left flipper (they eventually turned it off)... and even with 2 flippers there is just nothing particularly fun about this experience. It looks okay enough, but it ends there. Even the shooter lane groove looks bad... on every other machine I have ever seen, that groove is a smooth beveled depression in the shooter lane... not Spinal Tap... it is a hard edge 90 degree angle (you can see it in the photo Eville Pinball posted but in person it screams at you - it is very Ikea furniture feeling/looking in that sense). So odd. The music, callouts etc. don't appear related to what is happening... just random stuff playing which just felt distracting.
Back to Thunderbirds. Yes, it looks cheap, plastic lock-down bar, silly ramp in the middle and all... but honestly it feels like a more complete (and fun) game vs Spinal Tap. Spinal Tap looks nice in person... but feels prototype/home brew like when played.
Comparitively, another game who is a true looker is Magic Girl. I played Dutch Magic Girl at expo last year and was totally surprised as it wasn't just all looks-Zombie Yeti art box... but it was actually a really fun game to play, had the one-more-time feel and the animations and callouts were related to what you are doing or just did (still proto-type like but solid and relevent and it worked)... and Magic Girl has no shooter groove at all! LOL.

I third what you both say because I did the exact same at PHoF. I played Spinal tap thought it was horrible, then turned back and put a coin in Thunderbirds, which oddly wasn't as terrible as I remembered it was.

There are 1,475 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap/page/24?hl=dantesmark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.