IMG_4555 (resized).jpeg
Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-5.56.01-PM-1 (1) (resized).png
images (1) (resized).jpg
20230916_092647 (resized).jpg
IMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,479 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 30.
#801 1 year ago
Quoted from Craiger:

That stongehenge is life sized!

Good point.....it shouldn't be bigger than the guitars.

#802 1 year ago

Also, having just watched the gameplay again, Kudos for them for including Bobbi Flekman, the Hostess with the Mostess. And Marty! It's tough to tell from the video, but are some callouts a Michael McKean or a Rob Reiner sound-alike? It would be amazing if it really was_ Rob or Michael, or Harry or Chris for that matter.

Also: Just discovered Bobbi Flekman has a LinkedIn profile.

#805 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Homepin doesn't have the cachet or track record to ask almost $10K for their sophomore release. They should be looking at the piles of HW/UM's for sale on Pinside, the countless unsold TS4's and the fact TNA 2.0 isn't sold out of it's small run. It's sort of like people don't want to pay $10K+ for a NIB... especially from a company that has TBAG basically as their entire resume.

Game actually looks better than I thought but ya - no way I would pay $10K for this from Homepin, way too much risk. Resale will make it worse.

Unless you are a die hard Spinal Tap fan....

That said I would love to play!!!!!!

#806 1 year ago

This is a $9,500 game the same way that TS4 is a $12,000 game.

If the artwork was better it might be tempting at a lower price. It's sort of an eyesore, though.

#807 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

After 1 month air balls will totally turn all those guitars into pieces. No way they could withstand a single hit.

TBD

#808 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fuck the napkin !!!

The napkin appears on the playfield art

#809 1 year ago
Quoted from Craiger:

Also, having just watched the gameplay again, Kudos for them for including Bobbi Flekman, the Hostess with the Mostess. And Marty! It's tough to tell from the video, but are some callouts a Michael McKean or a Rob Reiner sound-alike? It would be amazing if it really was_ Rob or Michael, or Harry or Chris for that matter.
Also: Just discovered Bobbi Flekman has a LinkedIn profile.

The callouts were recorded by the actual actors for the game

#810 1 year ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Why no stonehenge topper?

The topper is better than Stonhenge, the jaw moves and the eyes light up like on the one in the film

#811 1 year ago

There's some more random photos of it among the Newcastle Pinball Associations Facebook album of photos from this year's Pinfest set up day https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=NewcastlePinballAssociation&set=a.5271956546266148

#812 1 year ago
Quoted from blue95:

The napkin appears on the playfield art

As does the Cucumber. It really looks like a labor of love. Here's to hoping she's a fun one to play. (Fingers crossed that it does so well that they issue a none more black LE)

#813 1 year ago

Found Spinal Tap on DVD last weekend for a quarter. Last time I watched Spinal Tap it was on vhs

20220916_105435.jpg20220916_105435.jpg
#814 1 year ago

Not a bad effort, but way too much emphasis on the '11' joke.

#815 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Not a bad effort, but way too much emphasis on the '11' joke.

It's the biggest joke of the film, at least in it's cult status. Even people who have never seen it or know who Spinal Tap is have heard it. I think it's appropriate.

#816 1 year ago

They should have removed the LCD or DMD to keep the price point lower on this one. Thunderbirds is already one of the worst modern pinball machines ever made and many people are skeptical on their ability to produce a good game. I just don't think there will be a lot of uptake, if they kept it in the Stern Pro range they might have had a chance to sell some of these but I don't see anyone except for die hard Spinal tap fans actually buying this game.

#817 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

They should have removed the LCD or DMD to keep the price point lower on this one. Thunderbirds is already one of the worse modern pinball machines ever made and many people are sceptical on their ability to produce a good game. I just don't think there will be a lot of uptake, if they kept it in the Stern Pro range they might have had a chance to sell some of these but I don't see anyone except for die hard Spinal tap fans actually buying this game.

100% agree. Keep the price low and get some sales traction with a fun pin with fun callouts.

I hardly look at the LCDs when I'm playing anyway!

#818 1 year ago

I think it's an interesting choice to have "GIG CANCELLED" be the shoot again light. Shouldn't it be something like "rock again" or "tour again"

Or is it a joke I don't remember from the movie?

#819 1 year ago

I really like what they did with the backbox...
The segmentation, proportion and style of the LCD, speaker and DMD does look surprisingly good in my eyes.
And I do also not miss a colored DMD here, the plain orange quite fits the time period of the theme.

#820 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think it's an interesting choice to have "GIG CANCELLED" be the shoot again light. Shouldn't it be something like "rock again" or "tour again"
Or is it a joke I don't remember from the movie?

I remember the Boston gig getting cancelled, but it's ok. It's not a big college town or anything.

#821 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Incredible. another case of a manufacturer failing to provide a production quality gameplay video before some guy with a cell phone. can't unsee the rattled half ramp shot at the :27 mark.

I just want to know what's up with the seizure-inducing LED inserts in attract mode. I can't believe it looks like that IRL. It has to be some kind of camera framerate thing...

#822 1 year ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

They should have removed the LCD or DMD to keep the price point lower on this one. Thunderbirds is already one of the worse modern pinball machines ever made and many people are sceptical on their ability to produce a good game. I just don't think there will be a lot of uptake, if they kept it in the Stern Pro range they might have had a chance to sell some of these but I don't see anyone except for die hard Spinal tap fans actually buying this game.

I disagree as I am a "die hard Spinal Tap" fan and I won't buy this new. The price point and the poor artwork is a killer for me.

Have to give HomePins credit though as the machine turned out a lot nicer then I anticipated. I will wait to play the game and then, if I like it, pick one up, hopefully, on the secondary market for less.

#823 1 year ago

The price goes to 11.

#824 1 year ago

And the topper is optional and sold separately !
This is a dream title for me but that’s stupid expensive.

#825 1 year ago

Is it just me, or is the design similar to BSD?

diptic5434235187175036059 (resized).jpgdiptic5434235187175036059 (resized).jpg
#826 1 year ago

That ping-pong ramp really needed a little more time in engineering. Crazy amount of ball rattle, and it can't make it up the ramp even with a pretty solid shot because of all the energy loss from banging right and left on the ramp walls...

Spinal Tap Ping Pong.gifSpinal Tap Ping Pong.gif
#827 1 year ago

I was in but now I'm out - I could tolerate a $6500 chance at a turd... or I could free up a space for GZ premium or something.

#828 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What are the chances…..2 inherently Brittish licenses being “launched” in the same week that Britain is in mourning for their iconic figurehead while the rest of the world watches. Could be seen as unfortunate timing. Could also be seen as perfect timing.

Spinal Tap British license? Rob Reiner’s brain is very much an American property…

#829 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

Spinal Tap British license? Rob Reiner’s brain is very much an American property…

Meathead!

Screenshot 2022-09-16 8.51.23 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-09-16 8.51.23 PM (resized).png
#830 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That ping-pong ramp really needed a little more time in engineering. Crazy amount of ball rattle, and it can't make it up the ramp even with a pretty solid shot because of all the energy loss from banging right and left on the ramp walls...
[quoted image]

Look — don’t, don’t shoot it! Don’t even aim for it. It’s not meant to be played.

#831 1 year ago
Quoted from dscapo:

You know what I mean….. they are after all one of Britain’s loudest bands!

E30C19CD-B250-4342-9653-BE06EE3F8E10 (resized).jpegE30C19CD-B250-4342-9653-BE06EE3F8E10 (resized).jpeg
#832 1 year ago

So, was it due October this year?

Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

Hmmm, looks like there's still a lot of space to the left to make a clean shot of that ramp

#833 1 year ago
Quoted from Zzap:

So, was it due October this year?

Hmmm, looks like there's still a lot of space to the left to make a clean shot of that ramp

Why we need more footage of play. We have literally one ramp shot to look at and it's a reject, even though there was plenty of power going into it.

So, better than Thunderbirds ramp to nowhere, only now you can't complete the shot...

#834 1 year ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Meathead!
[quoted image]

Meathead is a total idiot and I’d like to ship him somewhere else. He’s NOT an American property

As for Homeypin, the fact that Mike marketed himself as a jerk that doesn’t care about US sales means I AM OUT.

I would have been anyhow but Mike seals the deal. Thx buddy

#835 1 year ago

Lol....not sure why anyone else isn't thinking this is the biggest pile of steaming crap.

Looks boring to shoot. Nothing innovative at all going on with this machine. Awful art. Even if your a Spinal Tap fan this is gotta be a hard pass.

#836 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

Lol....not sure why anyone else isn't thinking this is the biggest pile of steaming crap.
Looks boring to shoot. Nothing innovative at all going on with this machine. Awful art. Even if your a Spinal Tap fan this is gotta be a hard pass.

They will sell less than 100 to hard core fans. Maybe RD will buy a dozen or so to help out as a Distro over there

Should mark the end of Homepin

#837 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

Cause most people need more than a 44 second video that has only 24 seconds of gameplay to come to that conclusion. The playfield art obviously sucks and it's overpriced but it's a big improvement in theme and layout compared to TB.

#838 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Cause most people need more than a 44 second video that has only 24 seconds of gameplay to come to that conclusion. The playfield art obviously sucks and it's overpriced but it's a big improvement in theme and layout compared to TB.

Who said I was making my opinion based of the video gameplay? Didn't need that to see it's a pile of shit.

#839 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They will sell less than 100 to hard core fans. Maybe RD will buy a dozen or so to help out as a Distro over there
Should mark the end of Homepin

In the case of TBAG it was more of an AussieArcade forum loyalty thing than a distro thing but based on how that panned out I would say that bridge was burned long ago.

Even with the dubious threats of international lawsuits to control the narrative as per the previous sales strategy its doubtful any pinsiders will fall for any hyped up fake reviews emanating from the antipode a second time.

More a sidenote curiosity than anything else, but the whole debut at a local pinball show as a sales tactic is pointless in itself since neither the company or the owner have had any physical connection with Australia for years besides a PTY LTD (LLC) trading name in order to give the appearance of a locally manufactured product.

#840 1 year ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Is it just me, or is the design similar to BSD?
[quoted image]

Well, it does have two flippers...

#841 1 year ago

Well, it looks a lot better than I was expecting. Kinda reminds me of a Spooky made game. My only real gripe so far artwork-wise is the centerpiece eleven knob thing. It doesn't look like the/a knob at all and evokes no imagery or memories from the movie. This part could've been done WAY better in a myriad of ways, different artwork being the easiest all the way up to an actual spinning disc that ratchets up with each number gained during gameplay, then spins during multiball.

I will say, if the cocoon locks, then releases the balls for multiball, that's awesome.

#842 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I will say, if the cocoon locks, then releases the balls for multiball, that's awesome.

Broken within the first year.

#843 1 year ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

s it just me, or is the design similar to BSD?

Yes, I thought so too. Mike said he wanted to build a classic Williams like pin. Of course BSD is just Harley Davidson with ramps.

#844 1 year ago

The inner left ramp is a joke. It amazes how designers dont either test it prior, or just dont know period but the feed is going to have issues. The price is another joke. Give up Mike. Let Haggis, made in Australia by Australians show you how its done.

#845 1 year ago
Quoted from RGR:

The inner left ramp is a joke. It amazes how designers dont either test it prior, or just dont know period but the feed is going to have issues. The price is another joke. Give up Mike. Let Haggis, made in Australia by Australians show you how its done.

Anyone know if this was designed in house or it’s the the mysteriously rumored Papaduik design?

#846 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Anyone know if this was designed in house or it’s the the mysteriously rumored Papaduik design?

Balcer was supposed to be at Homepin for a minute or two. Could have been his.

#847 1 year ago

Played at pinfest today and was hoping to like the game, but as a new release was seriously lacking the orange dmd looks so dated, flippers feel cheap and under powered, and boring game play. Haggis Celts on the other hand bloody awesome game!

#848 1 year ago

This looks horrible. I love Spinal Tap, though there’s not a ton of shots and that ramp needs fixed. The Monitor looks like it just plays the movie while you play the game. It makes no sense.

At $6500, maybe you gamble because you love the theme. I’m in the Spinal Tap fan club and no way do I pay $9500 for a game.

If it sells enough to tank, I might grab one. Though if it’s that bad, why spend any money.

I applaud the efforts to make games. This one needs a programmer, a good designer and engineer who can eliminate the dmd and tune in the shots

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Balcer was supposed to be at Homepin for a minute or two. Could have been his.

I spoke with Balcer at TPF. He was contracted to design it, but said before he even started, Mike told him he was going with a design layout he already had. Pretty sure Balcer said the artist was the guy from Houdini/Oktoberfest.

#850 1 year ago

Had a few games today at Pinfest. Flippers were weak, callouts were fumbled (some standups have multi-word callouts that repeat over and over again, and different callouts speak over the previous ones!), the construction on the ramps was amateur, it had to be reset multiple times, it really oozed of a student project. Especially sitting next to the Haggis Pinball machines that are imo better quality than anything else right now.

There are 1,479 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.