(Topic ID: 299508)

Homepin, Williams CPU pcb replacement boards

By Mervyn

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1127 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1128 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1126 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

just looking for feedback on these replacement PCBs. I have used two of them . One in a STTNG, all good for 6 mths, but have a new intermittent problem now. Power up and occasionally we get immediate, garbled dmd display and immediately some coils lock on , so the solenoid 7 amp fuse blows. Replace fuse and all good for weeks at a time. Has happened a few times. I would have thought the cpu would not allow anything to happen until boot and the bongs happen etc. voltage rails seem Ok. Original pcb was battery damaged of course.
    I would like to know if it’s a small error with the homepin pcb as I have not seen this type of problem on Williams before.
    any help appreciated.

I Have been looking for a new DMD led replacement for a judge dread. Is there a supplier in OZ? Got one last year but can’t remember who supplied it. Parts are get scarce.lol."

#2 2 years ago

Email them directly … they’ll help you out.

[email protected]

rd

#3 2 years ago

I have no experience with their cpu boards, but we *had* one of the Homepin opto control boards in a Doctor Who which was causing one of the upkickers to fire continuously. We pulled that board out and replaced it with one of the "DumbAss" opto control boards and the problem was solved. Once I got the Homepin board over to the workbench, I started to inspect it. I was surprised to see rosin flux all over it like the board never got washed at the factory. I also found many bad solder joints at all of the connectors as well as at all of the high wattage resistors. This board had not been worked on before. So I scrubbed all of the old rosin flux off with 99% Isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. That cleaned it up nicely. That is when I spotted all the bad solder joints once the rosin was cleaned off. I don't know how old this particular board is, but I don't like the poor quality control this board had.

#4 2 years ago

Good info, thanks. The cpu boards are very nice. Clean solder, looks very well made , I have sent email direct to home pin and waiting on reply from them. I also used a small opto board from Homepin on an Indiana Jones machine long time ago.Customer had fitted it and had a strange problem. I could not fix it so I found a problem on the original opto board and fixed it, perfect result. There was only a few components on the pcb but the new Homepin board would not work on the Indiana machine at least??

#5 2 years ago

what made you rule out the driver board and ribbon cables as the cause of this data quirk?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I don't like the poor quality control this board had.

There was a bad batch of those affected boards about 4 years ago.. Its got nothing to do with the current cpu's

#7 2 years ago

I have swapped my 2 Homepin pcbs now from Bride of pinbot and STTNG. Also replaced ribbon to aux driver pcb and to dmd pcb. I had no info on the dip switch settings, is that important .? It’s different between pinbot and STTNG we will see if the fault changes. But it’s very intermittent.

#8 2 years ago

what made you rule out the driver board and ribbon cables as the cause of this data quirk? Wiredoug….

Just the fact that I had to replace the cpu pcb because of battery damage about 6 mths ago.
    No response from Homepin sales yet.
    I had bad pins and connectors on the under play field opto control pcb,making strange faults intermittently. That was an easy diagnosis and fix with new molex plugs.

#9 2 years ago

dips are country settings like any other wpc mpu. they should be the same

Quoted from Mervyn:

No response from Homepin sales yet.

as of lunchtime(ish) when i checked, your email had not come to homepin for response. forward it to me if you like ill make sure he gets it. (my username here)at legbolt.com (im the media mangler for the place you bought it and the place who made it so im in a good spot to help you make sure it will get seen.

instinct and experience says its not the mpu but changing ribbons as well might make it go away now. lets see

#10 2 years ago

Hello wiredoug, here is a copy of the email sent to Homepin sales, they did not reply, perhaps you can send it through to them . My email here is [email protected]
    Also. I have ordered a few new replacement ribbon cables for these machines as well , just to eliminate them as a source of the problems. It’s so annoying that it’s so intermittent. I swapped the two boards now between pinbot and STTNG. Occasionally at switch on STTNG still shows a flicker of data on the DMD then it starts normally, it must be a perk of the new boards. I have a second STTNG here for repairs with original CPU pcb and it does not have this anomaly.Email to Homepin as follows. Thanks for you info so far.

I have used two of your Homepin Williams wpc replacement pcbs. Below is my post on pin side asking for some help. Someone said to contact you directly, hoping you can help.
    The second board I used in a bride of Pinbot. I have both machines here on test before going back to the customers.. pinbot works well but interesting enough it blew a fuse yesterday on switch on which stopped the face from rotating. No shorts found and new fuse restored all functions, just like the STTNG??

just looking for feedback on these replacement PCBs. I have used two of them . One in a STTNG, all good for 6 mths, but have a new intermittent problem now. Power up and occasionally we get immediate, garbled dmd display and immediately some coils lock on , so the solenoid 7 amp fuse blows. Replace fuse and all good for weeks at a time. Has happened a few times. I would have thought the cpu would not allow anything to happen until boot and the bongs happen etc. voltage rails seem Ok. Original pcb was battery damaged of course.
    I would like to know if it’s a small error with the homepin pcb as I have not seen this type of problem on Williams before.
    any help appreciated.
    Also are the setting of the switches on the pcb important? Left to right all down and last 2 on the right are up. That’s how they were when the boards were fitted.

Hoping to hear from you soon ….Sent from my iPad

#11 2 years ago

sorry i cant unwrap that mess.

your email wont be answered until you send it properly. its still not been recieved. try again as the last one never arrived.

maybe you saved it as a draft instead or something?

the mpu is basically the original wpc layout with an nvram .. i really doubt your problem is there. As i said earlier ribbons or an issue on the driver board most likely

2 weeks later
    #12 2 years ago

I also noticed some strange behavior with Doctor Who.

I have 2 Doctor Who machines, one with original Williams MPU, one with Homepin

During Video Mode when you collect the extra ball the Knocker will fire when you collect the extra ball on the homepin and not with the original board..

Go figure.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from ignat:

I also noticed some strange behavior with Doctor Who.
    I have 2 Doctor Who machines, one with original Williams MPU, one with Homepin
    During Video Mode when you collect the extra ball the Knocker will fire when you collect the extra ball on the homepin and not with the original board..
    Go figure.

Are both machines running the same rom version?

Maybe swap the rom chips between machines, and see if one rom fires the coil and the other doesn’t …

Be interesting to see!

rd

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Are both machines running the same rom version?
    Maybe swap the rom chips between machines, and see if one rom fires the coil and the other doesn’t …
    Be interesting to see!
    rd

Yeah same rom chips from what I can tell! I don't really want to swap them, I just had the Bally/Williams MPU out to repair a faulty diode!

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from ignat:

Yeah same rom chips from what I can tell! I don't really want to swap them, I just had the Bally/Williams MPU out to repair a faulty diode!

Fair enough too.

The DMD should show the version number on the screen when you fire up the pin. Evidently two factory versions, L1 and L2. And maybe other versions floating around out there too.

rd

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Fair enough too.
    The DMD should show the version number on the screen when you fire up the pin. Evidently two factory versions, L1 and L2. And maybe other versions floating around out there too.
    rd

They both boot up with L2

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from ignat:

They both boot up with L2

Cool! Weird they are different.

Enjoy your bonus knocker sound.

rd

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Cool! Weird they are different.
    Enjoy your bonus knocker sound.
    rd

Do you have a Doctor Who rotordave ? Does it have the knock during Video mode?

It also does it during W-H-O Extra Ball

Its actually quite distracting during Video mode so I doubt its normal

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from ignat:

I have the extra balls turned off on all my pins, so unfortunately I couldn’t tell you …

I’m sure someone can tell us …

rd

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from ignat:

Restore both to factory settings. It is more than likely a difference in the settings. You can turn features like this on and off.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from nerdygrrl:

Restore both to factory settings. It is more than likely a difference in the settings. You can turn features like this on and off.

Its not a setting - they are both on factory

#22 2 years ago

Are the country code DIP switch settings identical? Some countries have the knocker disabled because electromechanical coin counter is connected instead of knocker. Set "coin meter units" in pricing adjustments to OFF.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Are the country code DIP switch settings identical? Some countries have the knocker disabled because electromechanical coin counter is connected instead of knocker. Set "coin meter units" in pricing adjustments to OFF.

Nice tips!

rd

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Turns out you are a Genius. I dont think its because it disables the knocker - there is a programmed in game feature to allow it only in video mode using some combination when all the DIP switches are set to OFF.

My Original MPU (Hard Soldered DIPs) No Knock
    IMG_1126 (resized).jpgIMG_1126 (resized).jpg

Homepin MPU Knocks
    IMG_1128 (resized).jpgIMG_1128 (resized).jpg

Homepin MPU with the same DIPs set to ON No Knock!
    IMG_1127 (resized).jpgIMG_1127 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #25 2 years ago

Dear all,

I purchased a sttng pinball. Initially all was ok. Some days after I start having problems of random resets ( multiball and others...). We solved these problems ( cleaning and fixing optos nad various). It has some corrosion and we remove it and repair the parts with this problem. During some days, it looks that the machine was running normally.  After this, one day the machine start for a moment and after die except some GI lamps, with the D19,D20 & D21 leds of the cpu board "on" continously form the power on. The first times that the machine do this, I turn off the power and turn on some minutes later . The machine was ok! during 1 or 2 minutes and after the same problem appears. Finally and some operations of turn off and on after, the machine  directly did not work an have the 3 leds continously "on" from the begining. We extracted the CPU board and only with the power conector connected to it the problem continues. Finally and in a sucessive way, we changed the components of the blanking circuit, the RAM, ROM, ASIC, CPU and other components including the crystals. The same problem always continue. We can not do that any of the leds will be in "off"

Have you any previous experience like this or any idea? We have not more options to execute and we will be very grateful if somebody can help us before that we  decide to purchase a new board. Internally, we are sure that this problem may have a simple cause ( all the new/used component changed in this board are in a good state, because we tested them in other boards after use in this problematic board), but we can not fix it...

Waiting your comments. Thanks a lot for your attention

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-williams-cpu-pcb-replacement-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.