Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 182 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by rskb41
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screen-capture-2_(resized).png
    balls13_(resized).jpg
    x-ray-metal-tester_(resized).jpg
    dt_(resized).png
    Party_On_Wayne_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    hood_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

This topic is closed.

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi Guys,

We purchased 8 of the Homepin Pearls pinballs in September 2015 at Pinfest (Caves Beach NSW Australia)

We installed them into our AC/DC Luci and Walking Dead LE in Dec 2015 as part of their regular monthly service. Both machines were bought brand new at the end of 2014 . The machines are home use only and have less than 1000 plays each. Today while playing we noticed metal flakes on The Walking Dead playfield. While looking for the source of the issue we noticed there was pitting in one of the balls and it was flaking apart. Upon further investigation we have found the same issue with AC/DC Luci and the pearl balls in that had the same flaking issue. We have pulled both machines apart and cleaned them , removed the pearl balls from each and installed PBL High gloss balls and no longer have an issue.

Has anyone else used these pinballs and had this issue ? We have tried to contact Homepin but have had no response.

See pics attached

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Maybe, like an aquatic pearl, the outer layers peel off, exposing the beautiful interior?

That looks awful.

Were they sold as some sort of premium product?

#3 5 years ago

Yep, we paid $35AU for 8 balls. We can get 8 balls from PBL for AU$16 (to give you comparison). The PBL high gloss are 10 times better and also play much better in the machines.

#4 5 years ago

Yeah, I use the PBL Ultra Gloss balls all the time, excellent product.

-

#5 5 years ago

"Made in China"?

#6 5 years ago

These guys are trying to build pinball machines and they can't even get the balls right?

#7 5 years ago

Making "pinballs" is hard, well maybe not hard enough in this case.

#8 5 years ago

yikes.

#9 5 years ago

It's a bit of a concern for sure, we put them into our brand new $10k + machines and then find them falling apart and putting metallic flakes all through them ! Lucky we noticed straight away and that there is no playfield damage. We spent a bit of time on both machines cleaning them out and will do again in another week to be sure. Definitely not impressed with the product.

#10 5 years ago

did you notify Homepin as that is bad

#11 5 years ago

Correct! Hopefully these pieces of Chinese made junk will not find their way in to any more pinball machines !

#12 5 years ago

We let Homepin know immediately. Still no response. Lucky we did not put our name and deposit down for a Thunderbird pinball !

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

These guys are trying to build pinball machines and they can't even get the balls right?

Better or worse then the balls Stern includes with a new pin that everyone throws away?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Better or worse then the balls Stern includes with a new pin that everyone throws away?

Clearly worse.

#15 5 years ago

stern balls are nothing like this....

#16 5 years ago

Wow not good at all. I hope it's isolated and not all balls wear like this. I usually find about 1 in 20 premium balls pit quickly. No idea why, just change it out as soon as I notice. PBL and Pinball Centre have the best premium balls in my experience.

OP would be good to know Mikes response to this. Please update when you have it.

#17 5 years ago

Much worse than standard Stern. The Homepins did not even last one month. Every ball is pitting.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Wow not good at all. I hope it's isolated and not all balls wear like this. I usually find about 1 in 20 premium balls pit quickly. No idea why, just change it out as soon as I notice. PBL and Pinball Centre have the best premium balls in my experience.
    OP would be good to know Mikes response to this. Please update when you have it.

We will let you know if Mike responds and what his comments are.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from rskb41:

We will let you know if Mike responds and what his comments are.

"Sorry, mate! Accidentally sent you balls meant for my U.S. customers!"

#20 5 years ago

Wonder if it was something to do with the magnets in both those games . It was discovered that Homepin Pearls should NOT be used in games that have magnets as the balls themselves can become magnetised .

I think this news will actually interest Mike as the Pearls were an idea from his offsider Sid . Mike wanted to produce just the Premium brand balls .

If you have no luck in contacting Mike then maybe get in touch with Tony Turner at The Pinball Shed in QLD as he was selling the balls through there .

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from MIL:

Wonder if it was something to do with the magnets in both those games . It was discovered that Homepin Pearls should NOT be used in games that have magnets as the balls themselves can become magnetised .
    I think this news will actually interest Mike as the Pearls were an idea from his offsider Sid . Mike wanted to produce just the Premium brand balls .
    If you have no luck in contacting Mike then maybe get in touch with Tony Turner at The Pinball Shed in QLD as he was selling the balls through there .

Thanks for the info. The balls did not perform well in TWDLE from the first day we put them in. The ball would stop on the magnet and you would have to shake the machine to get it off. Makes sense that you cannot put them in machines that have magnets. ACDC Luci has no magnets. The balls that came out of Luci were just as bad as the ones out of Walking Dead.

#22 5 years ago

It may not be the magnets that are causing this issue . Either way that shouldn't happen to any pinball .

ACDC does have one magnet ( under the bell pendulum ) but it's not a large one like TWD . When these were sold it wasn't known about the magnet issue until later hence why there was no "No Magnet" warning on the packaging etc. .

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from MIL:

It may not be the magnets that are causing this issue . Either way that shouldn't happen to any pinball .
    ACDC does have one magnet ( under the bell pendulum ) but it's not a large one like TWD . When these were sold it wasn't known about the magnet issue until later hence why there was no "No Magnet" warning on the packaging etc. .

Hey Mil,

Thanks very much for the info. Can anyone explain what the magnets have to do with the ball flaking apart? My unqualified opinion is that the chrome was electroplated on to the ball. Once the ball starts being used, the hits on the ball dent the ball underneath causing the chrome electroplated to flake off.

#24 5 years ago

i don't see how the magnets could possibly have anything to do with the way those balls fell apart.

#25 5 years ago

Thunderbirds to the rescue!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thunderbirds to the rescue!

Thunderbirds will not get far with all those metal flakes going through their machines!

#27 5 years ago

I say blame it on the hood. He's always up to no good.

hood_(resized).jpg

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I say blame it on the hood. He's always up to no good.

hood_(resized).jpg

We need Nigel to come to the rescue!

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

"Made in China"?

Do we know where the PBL balls (or any other brand) are made? I'd assume a large % of all pinball parts available for sale in the US are "Made in China".

I think it's more a case of "Lack of Quality Control" or using a manufacturing technique not suitable for the purpose.

Strange you haven't had a response from Mike. He's quick to respond to any forum criticism. Post something on AA and im sure you'll get a quick response.

#30 5 years ago

Mike has previously told me when he is in China, he has big problems with emails from outside the country as the chinese government culls half the emails coming into China.

rd

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Mike has previously told me when he is in China, he has big problems

#32 5 years ago

Possibly.

rd

#33 5 years ago

Big Trouble

#34 5 years ago

in......

#36 5 years ago

Va-China

rd

#38 5 years ago

F A B

Post on AA and I'm pretty sure you'll get an immediate response. You would hope it was 'just' a bad batch. Otherwise, dunno how they could miss it in testiing ....

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Do we know where the PBL balls (or any other brand) are made? I'd assume a large % of all pinball parts available for sale in the US are "Made in China".
    I think it's more a case of "Lack of Quality Control" or using a manufacturing technique not suitable for the purpose.
    Strange you haven't had a response from Mike. He's quick to respond to any forum criticism. Post something on AA and im sure you'll get a quick response.

You are so wrong, most pinball parts sold in the USA are made in the USA, except rubbers and leds all Taiwan or china

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

F A B
    Post on AA and I'm pretty sure you'll get an immediate response. You would hope it was 'just' a bad batch. Otherwise, dunno how they could miss it in testiing ....

didn't work for me, but good luck and hope it gets sorted ASAP

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

» YouTube video

and what is this garbage!
    ha ha

#42 5 years ago

That's not good. Little surprised that people were so quick to jump at buying these. They should of been sent out for proper field testing before going to market.

I've been using using PBL balls for years without any issue....LOL same same but different.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

» YouTube video

Haha I liked that

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Homepin has previously said one of his challenges is he cannot import things to China and they must recreate every piece.

I don't doubt some parts (likely boards and electronics) are sourced from China, but not everything.

I know just because something is made in china doesn't mean it is garbage, but in this case the product is garbage and it was made in china (and sold as a "premium" product no less).

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Homepin has previously said one of his challenges is he cannot import things to China and they must recreate every piece.
    I don't doubt some parts (likely boards and electronics) are sourced from China, but not everything.
    I know just because something is made in china doesn't mean it is garbage, but in this case the product is garbage and it was made in china (and sold as a "premium" product no less).

It's definately a QC fail from Homepins side. I'm no engineer, but at a guess, electroplating is likely not suitable for use on an object subject to extreme physical damage such as a pinball - whether it's Made in China or Made in the US.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on metal treatments can chime in.

#46 5 years ago

The Chinese are well known to not having pure metals as they mix alot of crap in with metals. Having worked in engineering we had a expensive scanner that could test metals and nearly everything from China was a blend and therefore lacked the strength and qualities compared to what it was supposed to have. In the end we bought from every country but China so would bet in isn't a pure metal.

Homepin had Premiums and Pearls and think the premiums were polished for 3 days and pearls for 5 days - something to that effect (time could be wrong but something like that).

#47 5 years ago

Might have more luck with these....

image_(resized).jpeg

#48 5 years ago

Are these balls from the first or second container that Mike sent over ?
    I recently bought 6 packs of pearls because of everyone bragging about them on AA.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dazza88:

Are these balls from the first or second container that Mike sent over ?
    I recently bought 6 packs of pearls because of everyone bragging about them on AA.

strange as there dont seem to be arent any recent posts bragging about them on AA. post a link please?

#50 5 years ago

Probably not recently, but the people who tested them thought they were good.
    I noticed Nino is not selling them.
    So what is your opinion of them

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside