Topic Stats

• 3,933 posts
  • 382 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 171 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 748 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

screen-capture-8 (resized).png
rampage (resized).jpg
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 7.47.02 pm.png
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
99D1AA11-1443-414C-A49B-3B3177C76184 (resized).jpeg
59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg
2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg
868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg
dial2 (resized).jpeg
AFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).png
8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg
D19AA2E9-F995-4396-81AD-9750E23E87BF (resized).jpeg
8AAFDB60-3AAD-4FB6-A920-94E6E6BEA833 (resized).jpeg
07D30B01-3159-41C0-B03A-D0D6E590021F (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #29 Images of flipper coils being assembled in the Homepin factory. Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #31 Images of prototype Thunderbirds mechs. Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #46 MPU Testing: Image and Video Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #47 Pinball Cab CNC Tests: Images and Video Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #61 Fliipper Coil pictorial Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #122 Delivery trucks being loaded in China Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #130 Factory tour video Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #131 Flipper links & other assembly parts Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #142 The plastic used for flipper links Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #153 Flipper buttons Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #162 Coin door Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #188 Power supply Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #196 Rubbers Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #607 Final Artwork approved and being applied in test sizes Posted by Homepin (1 year ago)

Post #1020 Thunderbirds official flyer Posted by musketd (1 year ago)

Post #1103 Thunderbirds: First look under the playfield Posted by solarvalue (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 2 years ago

what is the timber in the ply?

#51 2 years ago

thanks for details - interesting choice of timber, Chinese produced, Aussie or other? Looks similar to Aussie Maranti in grain which splinters like that, make sure to do a paint test as it may take more to fill in the grain by the looks ???? or resins that Eucalyptus has, a balance of timber and then finishing cost especially when decals might highlight the grain.

http://www.plywoodchina.org/eucalyptus-plywood-hardwood.html

2 weeks later
#107 2 years ago

Granted Australia's average wage is higher than China so that is one big benefit to make them in China but in years they might align more so, but Australia does have hardwood plywoods at reasonable prices and can be custom veneered for close to half that estimate.

A shame they aren't made in Aus, but you have a wealth of experience in China.

As for the rest of the infrastructure Australia's major cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Newcastle are capable to do press tooling, injection molding etc with 2 options do it in-house by hiring machinists to design and build in-house or use external companies, but as soon as you hire an external company to design / make a press tool the price jumps fast ($20k for a small 100-150mm part to $50k for a large 400-600mm 3mm thick part) but they know what they are doing and can often achieve results in 1 run maybe with a few minor component changes. In a previous job I got external companies to quote on all our press tooling but then used that to justify keeping most of the work in-house as the machinists work wonders at close to 2/3 the cost. My advice with your press tooling is make sure you store it and own it when not used and when shearing and stamping thousands of parts keep a few spares of the main cutting blades for quick swap out as depending on the machine steels used for stamping and the material you are reforming the critical blades could last 500 stamps to 20000 stamps.

3 weeks later
#176 2 years ago

MDF is for cheap furniture and is compressed wood dust and carcinogenic glues so starting to be banned in various countries. You also can't screw well into it and once scratched / damaged and gets wet in to it, it will blow out to double the size. Since pinballs move around more chances of damage and blow out is much higher than a door on a cupboard at home. Only benefits is great to machine on a cnc and like you said is fairly stable if supported and sealed.

As for the coin door I reckon a regular size so you can get access to the coin / note mechs, the coin box, lockbar release etc, manual - so a small hole might mean cramped access. Small door is ideal for certain arcade machines but not a pinball...

2 weeks later
#212 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The goal is wide open ... hope Homepin can score. Apparently this is Stern's standard pricing structure, henceforth.
Aerosmith:
Pro Model: $6199
Premium Model: $7899
Limited Edition Model: $8999
Dread to think what the pricing structure will look like in EU / UK / AUS & NZ.
There has to be plenty of margin around the $5k mark for larger operations, still.

here is the Aussie's Distributor prices (AUD) for Aerosmith released today

screen-capture-3 (resized).png

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is that with or without tax? If it's with, they're about 15% cheaper than UK prices. Probably 8-10% cheaper than EU.

includes 10% GST = final payable amount to a general public customer

2 weeks later
#251 2 years ago

that photo is 1-2 years old now

2 months later
#390 2 years ago

Are you planning in going bigger with a spray booth?

#399 2 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

to spray 6-12 cabinets at once instead of one at a time?

have to agree a car sized booth would allow 1st coats to 6 cabinets and then wait a short time then followed by a 2nd coat etc - each to their own.

1 month later
#580 1 year ago

website's looking more modern and clean - maybe the USA distributor for AMD is meant to be NSW, and touching AMD takes you to Pinball Life

4 weeks later
#764 1 year ago

#780 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Why a warning in millimeters? Wouldn't 20CM (or 8 inches for the USA) make more sense? 200mm looks kind of silly.

Aus is metric, so guessing and read before that the game including all the mechs being all metric, which is fine for their system but not ideal for replacement parts for other games if people had their eye on swapping parts.

1" = 25.4mm
so
200mm = 7.87"

#782 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

No, I get the metric thing, but why choose mm, when cm would do fine? 20cm seems less ridiculous than 200mm. The ultra-fine resolution seems excessive and silly for humans.

fair point, and being a engineer myself I always refer to measurements in mm's so I get it, but get your point.

doubt mike will be here anytime soon to answer those questions.

#844 1 year ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Mike does not want to deal with people who are contantly attacking him or his bussiness (none of us do), and why should he?

over the years he has dished it out to many people on AP, AA and Pinside, things like - any company using computer systems instead of boardsets just as one example, so it might be a bit of karma coming back, sorry to say

the off subject matter could of been calmed down if he answered the question of 200MM quickly, that is part of marketing and the downside of showing bits and pieces instead of the finished pinball in one go.

last year after pinfest I shared on the other pinside unofficial homepin thread before this one started some thoughts of what of saw of the mechs (positive and negative but constructive I felt). Yet on AA he took over someone else's thread and bagged me out for sharing on pinside because at that stage he was not doing it, as well as often bagging out Pinside. Then he left the thread for the work of a few select AA guys to grill me - that's fine I just won't go back to a site that is one sided and protective of the sponsors to the point where various people are scared to ask questions hence why it shouldn't happen here as it will wreck the site.

2 months later
#1402 1 year ago
Quoted from arolden:

Damn, I thought that was the official playfield reveal!
What I thought was cool was the ball launch. On ball 2 the ball went one way, but on ball 3 it was diverted somewhere else. Can't think of any other machines that launch the ball to different parts of the playfield.

Baywatch does = 3 different places

#1423 1 year ago

TAG photos from that link - art looks pretty good based on the photos

22255170_1319505701511272_5244934213040431463_o (resized).jpg

22218238_1319500791511763_8157407864586052169_o (resized).jpg

22255031_1319501324845043_6609138385260698225_o (resized).jpg

22254859_1319505694844606_2348726305948532723_o (resized).jpg

22256862_1319510428177466_1530821842994916207_o (resized).jpg

22218210_1319501308178378_883477978918467698_o (resized).jpg

22289998_1319503368178172_8395295312899028914_o (resized).jpg

#1440 1 year ago

looks like the inlane plastics are different between the 2 games - are they still deciding on which ones / approval etc?

#1450 1 year ago

so is the centre ramp like a hump - if it is - it is a clever solution to get the ball to the back when there are lots of things there

#1456 1 year ago

the team appears to be:
Lead Programming - Edy Wang
Beta Programmer - Mr X and Nailbomb
Art - Federico & Grant
? Management & Sound Effects - Edy Wang
Electronics & Mechanical Assemblies - Mike Kalinowski, Sid & Edy Wang
Team Leader & Translator - Amanda
A Terry Anderson Production

#1459 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

So did Mike design the layout?

a while ago it was stated somewhere that it was a well known aussie pinball designer but in a recent podcast stated one team did the initial design and then went to some other aussie guys.

#1491 1 year ago

apparently the playfield has art on it with no clear but has a playfield protector over the art - could be for the protos only ???

#1524 1 year ago

I agree based on photos and video the game does need a few more shots and am wondering after watching the rule set video hitting various shots 10-15 times might get a bit old.

Maybe the shot to the left that hooks around to near the pool and pops (FAB1) is a controlled drop target at the end so when the drop is down the shot can then flow around and introduce a kind of orbit shot and still have the drop act as the current static target like for the current rule set for FAB 1.

The art (playfield & backbox) looks much better than was expecting for the theme but the led strip just seems like a non related bling. Maybe some mini leds spaced appropriately so to look like runway lights. The hump ramp is a interesting concept but seemed to be the most common shot in the game so might get a little repetitive as hitting a ramp shot generally gives a feel good feeling when hit.

Good to see some changes will happen and bugs attended to though it does show that it needs to be played by various people playing various strategies will identify bugs etc. and also shows updating a chip to be potentially painful and costly. Stating that people can mess up a usb update upgrade doesn't make sense as more people would be nervous or at risk of stuffing up something in swapping out a chip or taking out a board to be sent away. TNA latest upgrade system seems too easy - turn off, insert usb with new code and turn machine back on and update happens. Wondering if the real concern is stopping someone from possibly hacking and improving the code ????.

also did not notice the palm trees tilting when the runway would appear - was this removed or not working?

also noticed on the mulitball on a few videos that the ball launch in the shooter lane had 2 balls struggling a few times - maybe the timing needs to be slowed down???

#1528 1 year ago

one of the 2 games from Pinfest has been relocated to the Pinball Shed, Qld, some nice detailed shots of the game
tag1.jpgtag2.jpgtag3.jpgtag4.jpgtag5.jpgtag6.jpgtag7.jpgtag8.jpgtag9.jpgtag10.jpg

some protective plastic was still on the playfield plastic, now removed.tag11.jpg

#1536 1 year ago
Quoted from blue95:

The switch in the shooter lane was playing up a bit, I believe it was part of the damage caused when the transport company dropped the machines. I think they swapped the switch out of the most damaged machine on Saturday night and got it running better.

easy fix then, which is good

#1552 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

It's ok, since it is running the PinHeck system (clone), it will be easy to swap out the music for something else on the SD card. I am sure aftermarket AV updates will be developed.

he may have cloned the system but he didn't clone the SD / USB part as it is chip swap out

#1553 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The proof of the machine will be in the response to the issues uncovered and how long it takes.
There being issues and oversights on first showing shouldn't be that unexpected and is excusable.
We've seen numerous times with other machines and companies that issues often take forever to be rectified, or aren't at all whilst their PR line claims otherwise as they desperately try to cover them up and deny that they exist.
Let's hope for a positive response in this instance.

apparently he has stated he will change a few physically things but in the Head 2 Head interview he also said "if you don't like it, don't buy it" and that the software was considered finished so dare say the music as well.

#1563 1 year ago

Gauging from the head2head podcast they heard from multiple people that did not like it or aspects of it but did not want to publish a review

I think the music is changed via hitting 2 targets but not mode driven, so until you hit those targets you listen to what’s on.

#1579 1 year ago

I think like every new game that comes out people are passionate and have opinions, views and hopes - and with that hope the game will be improved to then lead to a much better game. Look at the new JJP Pirates game - that is incredible and the way it was launched lets the game sell itself, and I personally am not into the pirate movie fan (never watched one) but the game looks like it would entertain you for years and very tempting. Thunderbirds art wise looks much better than I thought which is a big part of the battle - well done mike and team, the sounds - sound from reports is great though the integration does seem odd, and the big one for people is the layout and last ability - yes it is good value but still needs to entertain you for a while but based on the video released it seems like the layout needs improvement and the last ability just isn't there in my opinion and when Mike states that the rules / programming is 99% done as they consider it done doesn't leave people alot of hope. Look at JJP with 22 modes so many targets and shots and ways to play the game - more than twice the value.

Don't forget Mike shoots down other companies use of computers in games, race, nationality, people's opinions so to a degree he will get a certain response back.

look how JJP launched their proto-type Pirate game in comparison, yes base model will probably be $12-12.5k AUD here in Aus but so much to do.

#1582 1 year ago

here are 2 more videos of showing last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=suYTD8ygbXs

#1668 1 year ago

if you have a official thread and launch a pinball, it pays to then respond to questions, concerns, ideas - if you don't threads like this will turn to crap...

#1720 1 year ago

but apparently Mike said he has the best programmer in the world......

#1726 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Yes. Plus I think Homepin may be able to eventually tap into a Chinese market opportunity that would make the rest of the world's pinball sales numbers look like a joke in comparison.
It would be a damned shame if all the hard work and money he's put into Homepin didn't result in some kind of positive outcome for the pinball community (and himself). Even it was just producing excellent parts/cost or contract manufacturing other company's pinball designs, more games with high quality and lower $ is a good thing.

agree having more quality parts is a good thing, but remember all his parts are metric so they are not going to all drop in place perfectly so that will limit the possibilities.

#1757 1 year ago

wow, Homepin is inactive, and he said in the head 2 head interview he had thick skin

#1762 1 year ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

I think all the shit he's endured here and elsewhere over years shows he does. But I guess everyone has a breaking point.

agree, he has had to endure alot and has achieved alot and I am not denying him that, and quite a feat for one person and a few employees and subcontractors. But if he used Ben's software and board design, acknowledge it and show appreciation and respond earlier instead of the silence for a long period of time. Answering early can potential change the direction of a situation.

#1847 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Home pin did try to work with Ben Heck. Ben said no...
Still doesn't make it right, but Home pin did not set out to copy from the start.

Are you sure?, as Mike's world is to copy / re-engineer - look at the 80's Hankin sit down arcade game he makes and sells (with approval from Hankin), look at all the boards he has done for years, look at all the mechs, plastic parts for his pinball they are all copies of proven designs with some improvements here and there. He had a Getaway at the factory for years and apparently the lift up ramp to the TAG plane is a copy of the Getaway's one.

In saying that they have all exited protection periods, and if the designs are proven even better, so not knocking him for doing that but that is his world - copy and re-engineer.

I don't think he could of got a machine running if he didn't have something like Ben's software as a starting platform and he should of made a statement straight away instead of denying it and been honest and respectful. It is what it is now, and time will tell if it will be on a different platform in the future and if it improves. I am not a fan of his views & attitude and he damages the reputation of many aussies in general.

#1880 1 year ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

just keep the thread on AA as it is better suited there! PLEASE

agree but it is for those that want to see Mike's justification for the proto boardset and an attempt to mask that the boards will change, though I still reckon if code is 99% complete that regardless of how the boards look it will still be Ben's software underneath

#1922 1 year ago

answers:

People found out (how?) .......................... Ben saw it in watching the dmd menu system in videos

and he got called out on it? ...................... Yes but denied and then admitted on AA Forum

What happened then? ............................. Dummy spit on Pinside and de-activated account, then on AA a few people called him out on his attitude so he is having a break from there as well - which is probably good as then get into building games

Seems like Mr. Heck is willing to let it slide as long he gets credit for it? ...................... Mike won't say thanks

1 week later
#1971 1 year ago

Australia still has alot of engineering & manufacturing and maybe not as cheap as China but anything is possible. Australia makes cnc machinery, light aircraft, furniture, kitchens, mining products and a crap load more. Yes to get press tooling may not be the cheapest here but with the right people it can be designed & made in the first go with some possible minor tweaks to components in that tool. Having 2-3 attempts at tooling and still not 100% ends up costing the same in the end.

Yes China may have cheaper labour but at some point that will rise and then that approach may be regretted. And their materials are questionable as many Aus companies are aware of the impurities in alot of the metals and starting to steer away from the Chinese rubbish backyarders

#1986 1 year ago

Apparently the playfield is a Whitewood with inserts (and probably water base cleared) and then a 1-1.5mm polycarbonate like material with the underside printed with the playfield design

Would be interested to know how it looks after a 1000 plays, the polycarbonate might become a useable item

#1988 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Maybe, but why is there a extra mylar on top then.

I am pretty sure they forgot to remove the protective plastic

#1991 1 year ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Does it just sit there or is it glued down? Placing 2 sheets on top of each other so they sit loosely often leads to "sweating" between the layers... its a no no in the sign trade

pretty sure it is just one sheet of a polycarb type material with the art printed on the underside and the ball rolls on the top side, then in theory the back of the printed side sits on the whitewood playfield.

and yes I think it sits there not glued down and I then wondered myself if the polycarb sheet shifts a little back and forth with ball movement that the art could be scratched or if like you say moisture gets in between that it might do weird things

4 weeks later
#2032 1 year ago

stern announced (see below), which will either help Homepin or make it harder as Homepin will have to ensure he is at the same level of his competition now (lcd, decent rules etc)

http://sternpinball.com/community/2247

11/30/2017 7:14:17 PM

Guangzhou Stern Electronic Technology Company Ltd. as Exclusive Importer for China

ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL – November 29, 2017 – Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines, proudly announced today the appointment of Guangzhou Stern Electronic Technology Company Ltd. (GSET) as its exclusive importer and distributor for China. Witnessing the resurgence of pinball around the world, a group of Chinese companies experienced in gaming operations, marketing, and distribution formed GSET. These companies began the relationship by distributing Stern Pinball’s titles including Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Batman, Aerosmith, WWE WrestleMania, Metallica and AC/DC. GSET will also be distributing Stern’s newest title, Guardians of the Galaxy.

GSET will be adding personnel to their already experienced staff to facilitate sales of Stern Pinball machines to the commercial and consumer markets.

“We selected GSET as our exclusive importer and distributor because of its various related businesses, financial strength, knowledge of our industry, and passion for Stern Pinball products,” said Gary Stern, Chairman and CEO of Stern Pinball.

As the world leader in pinball manufacturing, Stern Pinball has captured global attention for fueling the resurgence of pinball across the world. SPI’s expansion into China marks a monumental distribution accomplishment.

“We are very pleased to have the opportunity to represent Stern Pinball and serve the Chinese market,” said Aaron Wong, CEO of GSET

2 months later
#2114 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Curious why anyone in the USA would want to buy this game after what Mike had said about this country. The gameplay videos posted earlier did not look fun at all. Hopefully they have improved the game since then A LOT. Also, orange dots in 2018 are a hard sell.

It was going to be colour but with a new programmer it went to orange.
From what I have seen only minor changes except the pops area has opened up and he stated the code was pretty much done back at the show so I wouldn't expect too much different.
Otherwise he had a dummy spit on AA and banned himself in the last 2 days and left that forum so don't know about support - he even made a comment about the upgrading software and if certain warranty parts can't be returned to him in 14 days you and you machine serial number are taken off the list for certain levels of machine support. Here is Aus it sometimes takes 7 - 10 days for goods to get to you so doesn't leave people much time if they still have to remove parts.

Be careful and sure with your purchase

screen-capture-4 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#2177 1 year ago

In Australia Thunderbirds retails for $7k compared to Stern pro’s at about $8350. Keith’s game (art, programming, game design up dating etc) compared to this probably puts stern games at a much better value.

At Punfedt a few years ago the colour dmd was being promoted so it was on the cards but dropped I think with the programmer passing.

1 month later
#2212 1 year ago

looks like Mike doesn't go to Aussie Pinball, Aussie Arcade or Pinside and now at the UK forum, and just can't help bagging out P-Roc

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/homepin-pinball-presents-5.3499/page-4#post-254570

1 month later
#2296 11 months ago

I noticed a few of the once loyal pre-order Aussies want refunds due to the delays and Homepin has refused, gotta look after the pre-orderers.

my advice would be to seriously upgrade the spray booth so you can spray multiple cabinets at a time

positive is love the screening of the parts locations on the playfield - that is nice

that pong table is very cool

2 weeks later
#2321 11 months ago

Lets hope that Hitler does not realize that TAG is not shipping soon
(245 weeks, and counting)

the well known call out from Thunderbirds is 5,4,3,2,1

Thunderbirds thread on another forum was started by Homepin back on the 7.58am 8th July 2013
so when you work it out in years, months etc, it could equal:
5 years,
4 months,
3 weeks,
2 days,
1 hour,
which gives you 8:58am, 1st Dec 2018

so based on that, not long to go Pete

1 week later
#2408 10 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

No disrespect but if Pete was my customer and i was mike, i would just refund him and get him off my back.

and Homepin could get more for the game as the early pre-paid were a cheaper deal

#2434 10 months ago

At least the labour cost is cheap

thought that too

#2440 10 months ago

yes Mike did say it was cheaper to build in China than Aus.

The arguement might still be they are cheaper there than here in Aus etc but there is also value in having skilled staff doing work in regards to designing presses for making pressed parts and not re-jigging and working hard at it for years trying to get it right (legs, lockdown bar etc). Plus if it had been done in Aus there would of been a number of Aussies keen to work and when passion is applied the results would generally be higher.

#2442 10 months ago
Quoted from Retropin:

Any venture into manufacturing machines meant he had to tool them all himself, which of course, he has done.

did not know that about the boards...

big undertaking and hats off for achieving it and depending how you look at it - fortunately or unfortunately he apparently made all the parts metric so some may not suit being replacement parts for older Bally / Williams.

2 weeks later
#2462 10 months ago
Quoted from Tigers2017:

Just pre-ordered with Highway yesterday. Keep up the great work Mike understand been uncontrollable along the way that's been my experience over 51 years on this planet. I can't wait to gather my missus & 4 kids around a fair dinkum pinball machine. It will be a proud moment & I will definitely thank you and your team for making it happen. I was patience for the Tigers Premiership & will afford Homepin the same ...maybe not as long fingers crossed but rather you sort out all the issues before it's shipped to us. I would have loved a clear coat upgrade option but will sort that it out in Australia hopefully through someone you recommend that won't void our warranty..

you should of contacted popbumperpete (in the Melbourne area) as he has been trying to sell his pre-order for a while and probably would be a better price.

as for the playfield the art is printed on the back of the effectively playfield protector - order a spare protector with art

#2478 10 months ago

hey rotordave, we know that you liked about the playfield flip up mech, what were your thoughts on the game play, sounds, layout...

#2486 9 months ago

interesting saying thanks to benheck when for a while Mike denied using his board / software system, and interesting that a thanks also goes out to Stern, JJP

and Jpop - wonder if he was the mystery designer at one stage in the early days

drjJCUP (resized).jpg

#2504 9 months ago

what are people thoughts after the couple of recent shows?, as not alot posted

currently in the Pinside Top 100 listing, it only has 5 reviews and doesn't fall on the list until another 10 more, but after applying the filter to show without comments it averages out at 6.1136, which puts at roughly 347 on the ranking.

344 - Spy Hunter
345 - Millionaire
346 - Monte Carlo

347 - "Thunderbirds"

348 - Striker Extreme
349 - Black Belt
350 - Charles Angels

#2505 9 months ago
Quoted from twitami:

I played this last weekend. Can someone explain the top left corner of the playfield to me? is it just wasted space? Is something supposed to happen up there?

in multiball the ball is spat out of the pool

#2512 9 months ago

artist announced himself, a known pinsider for doing the art

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thunderbirds-pinball-art

The interesting thing though very early days was going to be done Mike's son

#2522 9 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Nice that he shoehorned in the Homepin logo there. Gotta have the logo on absolutely everything.

I do agree, it is plastered on parts, plates, shooter housing, on art every where and I think even on the leg bolt heads

#2534 9 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

oh and the leg bolts are METRIC.. if he hadnt labelled them you would have sooked too.. just cant win with some of you clowns.

yeah, yeah, likewise, I am not sooking, just think it is over the top - constructive feedback - sometimes when used too much just takes over the product, be proud and put in a couple of visible places but not everywhere

as for metric, Aus is metric so I get it, but if Homepin wanted to be an affordable option for part replacement for every pinballer out there, then imperial sized would of benefited him more since he has copied alot of the parts - why not make exactly the same and then supply to pinball part companies - could of been a bigger market for him.

enjoy your investment

#2541 9 months ago

Years ago Mike stated on AP something along the lines - that he always dreamed of building a pinball at home with his son, and that his original goal was to send pinball flat packs to other father / sons that would then assembly the massive kits = Homepin..... - dare say the name evolved from that

#2542 9 months ago

#2556 9 months ago

Highway Entertainment listed this on facebook, so anyone curious could check it out.....

"Thunderbirds Pinball Machine + Arcooda Pinball Ultra will be on display at the upcoming Australasian Gaming Expo held at ICC Sydney Darling Harbour, NSW, Australia between the 14-16th of August 2018. With over 200 exhibitors and a focus on the future of the gaming industry in Australasia.

Highway representatives will be available to answer questions on Tuesday (Steve) and Wednesday (John).

We will have the machines displayed on our agent’s Booth - Big Top Amusements, booth number #741 . To register for the event, please visit;

http://austgamingexpo.com/"

3 months later
#3157 6 months ago

hopefully the aussie's get their games soon as saw this on ebay as the Distributor is only 20km away.

screen-capture-29.pngscreen-capture-28.png
#3221 6 months ago

pretty sure that is a highway digital pin - arcooda fuzzed out at the front - I suspected Homepin would be making these

https://www.highway.net.au/arcade-machines/pinball-machines/arcooda-pinball-standard-arcooda/17664-1.html

what joins are on the cabinet and backbox?, hopefully not too much filler

screen-capture-33 (resized).png
#3229 6 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

his doesn't have pinball arcade anymore, he stated his was made in the USA doesn't look like it

I thought he said somewhere it was manufactured in the US, but always suspected it would be by Homepin

#3237 6 months ago
Quoted from twitami:

If you mean Arcooda, there are three models. The high end one is metal, made in China, the other two are wood and one of them was going to be made in US but I think that feel through. So probably all in China now.

Highway Entertainment (the Distributor) and Arcooda (Digital Pin) is the same person just different business names, it will all be made in China

1 week later
#3254 5 months ago

it is the Official Thunderbirds 5,4,3,2,1 day today.

as Homepin made the announcement to make this machine
5 years
4 months
3 weeks
2 days
1 hour (around 8 / 9am)

ago

congrats Mike

#3261 5 months ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Our buttons are an almost exact replica of a standard pinball flipper button. Our plastic mould was made using a standard button as a guide.
There is indeed a slight depth difference but so minor that I couldn't measure it accurately.
[quoted image]

The thing is the 2 flipper buttons is the point of connection between the player and the game so it needs to feel right

#3264 5 months ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Did you actually read my opening sentence:
"A standard pinball flipper button will screw into the same position if an owner wishes to change them."
I have said MANY times that parts are simply NOT AVAILABLE to us in China and we have to make them ALL ourselves. If the feel doesn't suit some people then they can replace the buttons - easy peasy.
Our retail price is WAY under all other machines so a few dollars on a couple of buttons probably won't hurt anyone BUT those who have actually bought machines tell me they are happy with them (and that includes the 'feel' of the buttons) .
Maybe it's better if we try and buy in the same ones others use so they 'feel good' but then fall apart when people play the game.....seems I can't win around here!

you have copied almost all the other parts and added little homepin features along the way, but since you have probably made thousands of these you are calling us petty as you have no intention of improving the feel - totally up to you. You have also said you welcome constructive feedback and all I said was this - "The thing is the 2 flipper buttons is the point of connection between the player and the game so it needs to feel right".

Maybe look at it this way, a new person / potential buyer comes along and plays a game and thinks it just feels weird and he walks away - lose of a sale

just like what Steve Ritchie says - "play better", you can always "make better"

#3265 5 months ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Maybe it's better if we try and buy in the same ones others use so they 'feel good' but then fall apart when people play the game.....seems I can't win around here!

funny how you can take a jab at another company's long history proven product and say yours is the bees knees when your games haven't been out for long, in the end it is just the cup radius inside the button, fixing that along with your tweaks makes a great button

#3267 5 months ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I certainly never said our buttons were 'the bees knees' - I merely pointed out that other companies also have issues with their buttons.
Please find someone else to troll....

not trolling, just feedback, and just like you have issued over the years on many other peoples products

#3301 5 months ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Is there new code coming?

#3324 5 months ago

I don't know as pretty sure this is his 3rd time to have a dummie spit and de-activate, and pretty sure pinsides terms are 3 times and it's over and out

over the years he has been very opinionated and given many people grief, shit on pinside and people in general - funny he is no longer on Aussie Pinball, Aussie Arcade and now Pinside - that should tell people what he is consistently like - what comes around goes around.

#3342 5 months ago

Highway Entertainment news letter from about a week ago said they were in stock in Newcastle,

Mike's world is a puzzle / confusing one, there's always an excuse, blames others, hates paypus with a passion but did indiegogo crowd funding projects - overall there is consistency

#3354 5 months ago

that's funny
- can see the guys love it
- the drains
- and the comments -
"strange game"
"it's waiting for something"
"it is different"
"the rules are different"

1 week later
#3359 4 months ago

Thunderbirds finally got it's 15th rating (with and without comment) and averages out at 5.379, so in the Pinside top 100 it now falls into place 358, guessing pinside will update soon

screen-capture-48 (resized).png

#3361 4 months ago

hyperball is still rated higher though

#3381 4 months ago

Some of the reasons Mike has accumulated dislike is that he has been so opinionated about other peoples games / products over the years and then throw in racist comments and even hatred to pinside in the last few years and refusal to sell to the US but then backflipped because he lost alot of support in Australia. I do hope all pre-buyers are made whole quickly, as not doing so just earns him / Homepin and Highway Entertainment a lack of support and it is the right thing to do.

Also you have to remember he is not welcome on Australia's 2 main pinball forums due to his behaviour so even though I take my hat off to him for effort and perseverance, I don't respect the way he treats people - karma has it's way of repaying people in good and bad. So there is some consistency to Mike, so I doubt Mike would do things differently as that is just his nature.

And Thunderbirds also has now gained 16 votes and now been listed on Pinside's top 100 sitting in last place at 361.

screen-capture-49 (resized).png

#3383 4 months ago

apparently an asian theme - possibly a kung fu I reckon, probably jackie chan fame - who knows and really it is only targeted at Asia

#3401 4 months ago

Is the opposite of a TROLL called a LEACH?
Serious question as the word TROLL gets thrown around way too much IMO.
So ang suggestions on what you woul call followers/ lovers / investors of a certain person / product?

Interesting question and was wondering that the other day - I found the opposite was considered a Internet Pixie - sprinkle fairy dust to make everything positive

Quoted from wiredoug:

always with the attempts to attack people instead of discuss products..

we did try that but Mike grabbed his bat and ball when he didn't like peoples thoughts on the flipper buttons

#3402 4 months ago

maybe the easiest Wiredoug is ask pinside moderators is to close the official thread as Mike / Homepin is gone and pretty sure that was his 3rd time to take a break so he can't come back so no longer official.

2 weeks later
#3425 4 months ago

who is left to announce it?

only those that have some invested interest....

#3426 4 months ago
Quoted from nasco62:

When is the next “homepin title being announced?

but this isn't aimed at the US, Europe or Australia - just Asia

1 week later
#3446 3 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

its china would you expect anything less?

it's the person who runs the company, even worse

wonder if this is the art for the rumoured 2 game considered hassonchop did this art and blunderturds, this one could be called Billaflop

splash (resized).jpgdash (resized).jpg

#3451 3 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

the pics are from here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin#post-3746692
at the time swinks complimented hassanchop on his work. It seems thats changed

ohh backerdoug.....

I didn't dish on hassanchop work, merely theorized on the rumour of the surfing pinball, and yes instead of Billabong I joked with Billaflop considering the how thunderbirds is being joked as thunderturd, so not a reflection on hassanchop.

for a homebrew yes hats off to hassanchop but if this went into production and with his more experience sure it would look better. But personally for Homepin a Billabong or Quiksilver comp surf pin is a bit of bad choice to run with considering both companies are losing their soul of what surfing is about.

#3455 3 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

back peddle back peddle back peddle lol either way you went out of your way to dig up old crap to make trouble .. good for you.
your fascination with me being a backer of anything is hysterical nonsense .. im a fixer not a banker. closer to private security than private equity ( that doesnt explain it well but its none of your business anyway so it will do)

haha - funny you then did the same

as for backer - just what I witness and have heard

1 week later
#3464 3 months ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

do you wanna buy one

welcome to pinside, interesting first post, do you own one yourself?

1 week later
#3478 3 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

So did all the preorder guys get their games? Last I read there were waiting for shipping... Did that happen?

I think that is what triggered the other forum discussion, with thunderbirds in stock with the distributor and advertised by them on gumtree which is like Craig’s list I think there in the US. Yet not all preorder guys have got there games = gameplay by mike - he knows how to ruin his business...

#3480 3 months ago
Quoted from highwaygames:

No this is not it. Its the constant undermining of the product by people who either are not customers, or wanting Homepin to fail (for whatever reason). Whilst opinions are encouraged, blatant attack on customers who have already received their machines, or ill informed comments such as this one, are the reason why everything is becoming a bigger mess. You may have read our answers already to Homepin preorder customers, or on the Aussie Arcade forum that you are quoting now - the machine (just 1 unit) being advertised is a Homepin pre-order customer's machine who no longer wanted his machine and has asked us to find a buyer. This has been explained at length. When we receive new orders in Australia, we offer pre-order customer machines first - any new Thunderbirds bulk orders (such as the Chrisco or other volume buyer in Australia) are being handled once Homepin pre-order customers receive their machines. There is no hidden agenda, but people keep changing the facts to keep this story going.
The Aussie Arcade "Gumtree post" started by asking people whether anyone had played the game, and then escalated with someone saying Mike was not allowed back to Australia, etc….then legal got involved.

yeah yeah yeah,,,...

It's not a ill informed statement as I never read that thread, rather a "I think" statement but I bet Mike has fed you info on how to treat a few of us. I think you are ill informed as the reason for the mess, being Mike's actions and then your contribution to it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing - If you just looked at the pre-order guys 6 months ago from a marketing point of view and out of good will got all the games here and covered the cost your's and Mike's business would of looked much better than how it does now to so many pinheads yet Mike played hardball = that is the real mess and frustration by everyone who are expressing in their own ways.

I think it says something that Mike is no longer on Aussie Pinball, Aussie Arcade and Pinside forums.....

#3482 3 months ago

Sorry, what's your involvement in this game? Are you a pre-order customer?

it is a forum not your web page, so people can ask and make comment ....... did some of that (post #3480) ring true?

#3483 3 months ago

so are there still any pre-order machines still sitting in China or have to be made waiting delayed due to the freight, GST saga?

#3485 3 months ago

I have read that multiple times as well Embryon

the gumtree one was a pre-order game that the owner doesn't want based on Highway's post above??? why not offer to the next pre-order person???

next part of the post suggests - 1 pre-order but then acknowledges multiple pre-order customers still awaiting games

So in summary - not all the pre-order guys have their games yet which was my post, cut the BS and give the guys there games, the longer you take the more return business you will lose. Just own it and move on. I was very interested in your Arcooda games back in 2015/16 (can't remember which year) at Pinfest but these don't appear to be pumping out either so I won't spend a cent until the games are in stock especially if Homepin is your manufacturer.

#3488 3 months ago

I think Mike once said that he apparently only got 10-12 pre-orders:
- 2 got refunds
- 1 went to gumtree
- 4 have their games
- puts about 3-5 owing if that low pre-order number is correct

So Highway / Homepin - just make and deliver the final pre-order games to Aus and cover the remaining cost and alot of this frustration goes away, oh that's right some people are too stubborn to do that, they would rather lose future sales / support. At least the last 2 posts confirm what Highway is suggesting is incorrect.

#3490 3 months ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Mike is his own worst enemy and anyone who is standing up for him just hasn’t worked that out yet.

or has invested interest

#3492 3 months ago

he has dropped past

screen-capture-55 (resized).png
#3497 3 months ago

So your not a pre-order customer, do not know all the facts, did not read the Aussie Arcade Gumtree thread....but still want to comment about what happened, or, what we have been doing. Our company has been working extremely hard in trying to help get everyone's machines delivered, but there has been a lot of undermining work which has/is delaying the machines.
Again, we understand you have issues with Homepin but please don't spread the wrong information. We have noticed that a group of you guys just travel from forum to forum, or social media post, or even contact buyers directly to talk negative about the product. We get it, you don't like the product or Homepin - but don't spread wrong information. The thing we do not understand is that you are trying to push the factory to close, but this results in no-one getting their machines....

- I actually know alot of facts but that is not for a public forum but yes I push for the right thing to do.
- Only Mike is undermining himself and responsible for his actions and Embryon said it well so won't bother putting another spin on it.
- and then you make a oxymoron comment stating the above that I have issues with Homepin, yet you don't know me nor what my issues are from my perspective
Oxymoron (resized).jpg

- I don't travel from forum to forum in relation to pinball BS, or not on facebook or contact pre-order buyers so you are implying the wrong information about me
- the proof is out there, and a bunch of us are just principled and calling out what is the right thing to do. If Mike just did it you all could move on - isn't throwing $5k for the frieght worth saving face and gaining the respect of everyone, things calm down and Mike can concentrate on his next game quietly
- I suggested above to do a bit of good will and cover the freight for a few pins with a container load of other goods and square people up - how is that pushing the factory to close

hell, you don't even know me and I don't know you, yet I have met you when you had a shop front and at pinfest - chatted with you and was very impressed with the Arcooda project and was even offered an interview a couple of years ago when you advertised to be involved with your Arcooda project, but I declined based on a hunch.

I will leave you to solve the issue with the pre-order guys.

#3514 3 months ago
Quoted from blue95:

Can't get off the shelf parts in China, actually you probably can now thanks to Homepin

Who would risk using him as a supplier with his dummy spits and condition changes

2 weeks later
#3530 81 days ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

wonder if anymore aussie preorders received their games?

I doubt it as I heard as well that the distributor pulled the pin on helping the pre-order guys get their pins, but I am sure if they are still trying to help them they are gagged from speaking up, if true I hope the distributor gets no more sales and all the aussies take Homepin to Fair Trading

1 week later
#3556 68 days ago

funny because ages ago he apparently made all the pre-buyer games

I wouldn't trust anything he puts out: excuses, lies, bullshit

#3583 66 days ago

interesting when you look at his 7 posts predominantly wanting mypinball board set and spooky AMH dmd program files - suspect homepin related

#3590 65 days ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Serious question...Just curious. Is/was Mike still using plastic lock down bars?

Yes, still is because he couldn’t get steel ones worked out

#3591 65 days ago

Has the designer been mentioned yet? Supposedly famous.

either lies, or that person quit early days then they got some aussie no namers and put JPop in his manual to shit stir

China can keep Mike / Homepin

#3619 63 days ago

what is real

screen-capture-20 (resized).pngscreen-capture-24 (resized).png
#3621 63 days ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Typical Chinese factory website. Put your logo here!

But same owner within 3 days apart

#3636 60 days ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

lol go for it wayne my involvement wont take real long to explain.
"hi your honour",
"hi doug",
"how are you involved in this business lad?"
"im not sir",
"ok cheerio then" ..
summons worthy? hardly

Respectfully Doug

the funny thing is you claim you have never met Mike, but your one of his biggest supporters and in the past his biggest promoter of his work and giving many updates on a few forums and in all honesty I have heard around the traps off a few people that you have financially backed him which would explain the reason of supporting of him.

but if you have no connections then no worries for you.

I get you want to back / support an aussie, and at one stage alot of us wanted him to succeed but with the delays, lies, attitude, etc just pissed off many pinballers, Mike just needs to be honest and sort out all the original backers and I think he should cover the freight for those dedicated guys since the cabinets don't have a topper like promised. Alot of this headache could fall away if he got past his stubbornness and showed some goodwill just by paying the freight and stamp duty and got the guys their games. Then this thread could go silent and he can concentrate on his next project / venture.

#3668 55 days ago

Because HomePin still owes many preorder people, machines, which they paid for 5+ years ago
all they have is lies and deception

but funny thing is earlier days many thought he was the best on the aussie forums, but people eventually saw him for who he really is

#3704 52 days ago
Quoted from JimmyA:

Anyone putting shit on the machine (and there are lots here) - show us what you have built...

you should see how the micro-phones & 3dprinters went....

People are critical because Mike has been super critical on people and companies for a while = what comes around, goes around

2 weeks later
#3721 38 days ago

great news but you would never go in on a game like 20000 Leagues under the sea - imagine waiting 20000 days

1 week later
#3740 27 days ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

I read somewhere that the thunderbirds playfield is using an overlay. Sound like a interesting approach. Are there any more details known about this? How thick is the plastic is and what kind of plastic is used for it?

pretty sure it is polycarb and would be 1-1.5mm thick at a guess, eventually it will scratch up - but I doubt people will play it that much to get to that state

#3748 26 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

There is an update kit for the flipper bushing now. It consists of a stainless steel sleeve which goes inside the flipper bushing. I wonder if there was too much slop in the nylon bushings they made?

there must of been some slop in the bush for the need to then add a SS bush - everyone that owns this game for what ever reason better grab the kits while they can, though my gut tells me that a steel post turning in a SS bush will bind up eventually - probably should of been a self lubricating bronze bush or even better a correct replacement nylon bushing.
screen-capture-2 (resized).png

edit went to the link and yes slop and crappy bushing - it is a 3 pager pdf so click to open
flipper_bush.pdf

#3752 26 days ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Or you could replace the Homepin bushing with the superior Williams flipper bushing # 03-7568 and not have to worry.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-nylon-flipper-bushing.html

totally agree, had thought of that as well

#3768 23 days ago
Quoted from pipes:

What were the other themes Mike had kicking around other than Thunderbirds? Apparently there were a few he was considering and ended up going with this one. Not that it really matters if you can’t design a proper playfield that is fun and has satisfying shots.

2 most recent rumours was mainly a chinese theme not aimed at any of us stated by mike - probably a kung fu, also rumour of a surfing theme

that said early days he claimed he had a whiteboard full of ideas with 5 main ones he was going to run with, had heard one was a band theme (80's American Heavy Metal Band)

also the Arcooda digital pin for Highway Entertainment who is the distributor which is another game in the many years in the making...

#3793 20 days ago

they look to be 0.5-0.7mm thick which is mirror blade thickness, way to thin for rails on a arcade pinball

even seeing the way that adhesive has been slapped on just doesn't show pride

#3800 19 days ago

that looks to be 0.9mm as generally sheet steel is 0.7mm (common for mirror blades), 0.9mm and 1.2mm and stern's are approx 1.2mm and 90's Bally is approx 1.45mm

#3809 18 days ago

informative review, and glad to see I was not the only person that thought those buttons were crap but like Mike stated if you don't like them, change them

8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg

#3824 18 days ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

for interest the difference you're bickering over is about the thickness of a piece of paper. get on with your lives...
flynny.. ask yourself where the needle would be for 2.1 mm ? you'e not reading the tool right

so you must of went to your buddy mike to get the photo to protect him here as you do

no, it's the difference of what is decent to crappy thin gauge - it is 0.9mm which is flimsy for side rails and 1/4 less the thickness of sterns.

#3829 18 days ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I like facts and pictures. Not bluster. I got pic to prove it was 1.1. But I thought you would have been the one who as able to read a dial scale?

yeah yeah backerdoug - problem is you can't see the line of the 1mm so it's not accurate and it is easy to give things a slight twist when measuring and it can make somethings thicker than what they are. The way that rail rolled and curled on the previous page - I just don't believe it is 1.1-1.2mm

just have to agree to disagree

#3855 17 days ago

I have said this before, Mike would have been smarter if he had built a flipping whitewood before he left Australia

100% agree, and said it years ago - suggesting building a working TB with Bally / Williams parts in the 1st year in China to debug and get the rules fleshed out 3-4 years ago but even better like you suggested should of developed a homebrew back in Aus, and have many of the parts designed ready for manufacturing here in Aus and then just go into production there.

he could of got alot of support / help here in Aus, but the rest is history

1 week later
#3907 4 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

They remake the Hankin video game tables right? I did a quick search and found a NIB seller asking $2100 for one. If the RTW is in that ballpark I think they would sell pretty nicely.

they did at first but they had their issues apparently

as for the Ride the wave, I don't get the interest in these things - yeah would try it once or twice at a arcade, but to own it for a home machine no zzzzzzzzzz

#3931 1 day ago

most games have a particular theme, which are then coloured / styled to suit that theme....

what makes it look worse is you have the playfield (so to speak), then the decals either side that are shorter (top and bottom) and then the decals on the side are shorter again - no art flow.

screen-capture-8 (resized).png

as for the design this product is probably copied off an old game to fine detail - mike is great at copying products, and he is more Chinese than we think, but lacks originality and creativity

music cutting in and out is terrible, it has potential but still looks boring to play

as much as I love surfing this would of been better styled in a Rampage type theme since kids are going to be your target, player would be the ape climbing the building as high as possible
rampage (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside