Topic Stats

• 4,030 posts
  • 391 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Ballypinball
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 751 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

59FF4170-B1EA-4724-9123-195B90D84BC5 (resized).png
letsmakeadeal (resized).jpg
truth (resized).jpg
screen-capture-8 (resized).png
rampage (resized).jpg
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 7.47.02 pm.png
59546319_448232989282183_8360119207047725056_n (resized).jpg
99D1AA11-1443-414C-A49B-3B3177C76184 (resized).jpeg
59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg
2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg
868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg
dial2 (resized).jpeg
AFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).png
8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #29 Images of flipper coils being assembled in the Homepin factory. Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #31 Images of prototype Thunderbirds mechs. Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #46 MPU Testing: Image and Video Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #47 Pinball Cab CNC Tests: Images and Video Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #61 Fliipper Coil pictorial Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #122 Delivery trucks being loaded in China Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #130 Factory tour video Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #131 Flipper links & other assembly parts Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #142 The plastic used for flipper links Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #153 Flipper buttons Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #162 Coin door Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #188 Power supply Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #196 Rubbers Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #607 Final Artwork approved and being applied in test sizes Posted by Homepin (2 years ago)

Post #1020 Thunderbirds official flyer Posted by musketd (1 year ago)

Post #1103 Thunderbirds: First look under the playfield Posted by solarvalue (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 2 years ago

Great updates.

Regarding the coloured LED DMD, I hope it'll be one of the higher density / resolution ones, not standard 192x32. I know they're considerably more expensive, but I would assume you can obtain them for reasonable prices within China. I think it'd make the machine a lot more eye-catching. Also, personally, my preference would be for a taller 3 (SEGA) aspect.

#104 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I'd settle for higher resolution (i.e. eye candy) over taller aspect, though, if it were a choice between that. I'm afraid pretty wins over more information, for me. But then, the excessively letter-boxed format is going to suck for the guy doing animations ... 6 isn't going to allow too much scope for rockets blasting off vertically. I suppose that would be where creativity could come in, and things could head towards the player and make use of perspective.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

This is interesting. I assume though that Chinese workers are still very cheap compared to American labor because somehow it's still profitable for companies to have them make their item and ship it to the U.S.

Probably not. If you're talking about a US factory employing immigrants without papers, paying well under minimum wage, as a large % of the assembly labour, as has been repeatedly alleged for pinball past & present ........ Versus a foreign (particularly Western) owned and operated factory in China where the authorities and workers will both demand decent pay and reasonable lodgings. As Mike suggested, infrastructure, materials and machinery are another matter entirely, however.

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

So you're saying it's not cheaper to make an item in China and ship it to the U.S.? Then why are U.S. companies making a majority of items in China?

No I'm not ... read latter part of post.

"As Mike suggested, infrastructure, materials and machinery are another matter entirely, however."

Meaning they should be much more affordable and accessible.

1 week later
#154 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

It's been a busy week with a lot of things starting to come together all at the same time.
Flipper button parts arrived and are being cleaned up and assembled with the springs made a few months ago and circlips and PAL nuts sourced locally. One issue is the factory that made the mould for us has adjusted it for a slightly better fit BUT that has brought with it a jamming situation. About 50% of the buttons are marked where they have been cleaned up to make them fit so we will return those and they can chip them (run them through the shredder) and re-mould. There are so many small things like this that we have to keep on top of and every little issue like this brings another delay.
However the first batch of flipper assemblies are coming together, now that all the parts are here for them and we have wound the first 300 flipper coils.
Also the first small run of six fully finished cabinets is coming together nicely with a few of the smaller details coming to light and being carefully documented so that future runs will be correctly and completely assembled.
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and for once it ISN'T the train coming towards me!!!

That's some good looking ply and a decent finish. Cabinet wise, this would put you in a similar position quality wise to DP. Better than JJP and miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

Just hope the actual game layout, code, art, sound, DMD etc will live up to the build quality. If they do, could be exciting times.

On that note, any plans to announce the designer yet?

1 week later
#197 2 years ago

Are these rubber or synthetic?

It would be nice if you were able to do something similar to Titan Competition Silicone, both in terms of durability and feel (not a fan at all of SuperBands), if synthetic is an option.

1 week later
#209 2 years ago

The goal is wide open ... hope Homepin can score. Apparently this is Stern's standard pricing structure, henceforth.

Aerosmith:

Pro Model: $6199
Premium Model: $7899
Limited Edition Model: $8999

Dread to think what the pricing structure will look like in EU / UK / AUS & NZ.

There has to be plenty of margin around the $5k mark for larger operations, still.

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here is the Aussie's Distributor prices (AUD) for Aerosmith released today

Is that with or without tax? If it's with, they're about 15% cheaper than UK prices. Probably 8-10% cheaper than EU.

2 weeks later
#248 2 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Wait a minute, he certainly won't fly half around the world just for a little chitchat. There must be more to this ... Stern evaluating production in China? Let the rumor mill churn!

It's in Shenzhen .... Stern almost certainly have electronics (and more besides) made there.

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

Assuming you're right, I still don't believe this to be just a courtesy visit with a new competitor.
Mike? ^^

Yet you think Stern would gladly become beholden to a supplier that clearly wants to compete with them, and resides entirely offshore?

They may want some parts from HomePin eventually .. but looking at how solid everything looks, I suspect they're rather more interested in cheaper products given their continual cost cutting.

1 month later
#277 2 years ago

Look rather better than Stern's patented InstaRust (TM) screws and bolts.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

This needs to be a lot lower than a standard micro switch so the ball won't hang on the wire if it's rolling slowly

This bugs me so much in some machines where they've used switch actuators that are too heavy, and which stop slow balls on ramps or loops.

Getting round the side of the machine to tip it in the middle of a good ball isn't fun.

#307 2 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

As Mike know's there's a place in HK that has a few pins, and each has a stool to sit on! Who does that?? So that's how into pinball they are!!

Most likely because most HK natives are more familiar with the one-armed bandits and video poker machines in Macau.

2 weeks later
#349 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Our animators were playing around this afternoon........
» YouTube video

Video unavailable?

#351 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Works for me and I'm in China where Youtube is blocked? (I'm using a VPN of course).

Giving network error 400 which I've not seen before. Maybe local CDN hasn't cached that video or something.

#353 2 years ago

Working now. Looks like you're intending to keep the hammy spirit of the show, which is good.

Though I second the typewriter type comment.

Have you decided what type of display yet?

I was quite surprised that Stern have started using full colour LED screens in their 'home edition' Spiderman, and it looked good ... such a shame they didn't do it years ago in all their machines. I'd still favour 192*64 colour LED for Thunderbirds.

#356 2 years ago
Quoted from IBARAKURO:

Great animation... dmd red or color ?

Already been said it'll be colour dots. Last time I asked about exactly what it would be in terms of resolution / density etc Mike hadn't made a decision.

1 week later
#392 2 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

I love this thread and am continually impressed by Homepin's commitment to quality. Can't wait to see these in the wild.

Here's a comparison of Homepin and Stern joints (pictures borrowed from above and the Stern Cabinet thread, click on the image to see my added lines which highlight the edges of the different pieces of plywood).

In theory and if only using glue the locking rabbet joint (stern) is stronger due to increased surface area for glue; however, with the added screws to the rabbet joint (homepin) I believe this will be far superior. Also, the thickness of wood with the rabbet joint seems like a potential advantage.

The ply also looks like a much, much more expensive grade on the Homepin cabinet. The wood itself in the new Stern stuff isn't very dense - hence the lightness - and the layers don't seem to be sandwiched together very tightly.

#409 2 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

$4100? Just a rumor? Could this really be the price? If so, it could be a big seller.

Where'd you hear that price?

I doubt it will be that low initially, even if it's the kind of price point Mike intends to hit medium or long term. Simply because, if it's a decent machine, then there's no way they'd be able to keep up with demand - see discussion above about size of the production facility.

1 week later
#445 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I agree but there is more to the story than I wish to post publicly. I will be quick to say it has NOTHING to do with PL, I think Terry is a 100% stand up guy.
Sometimes things are not what they might seem looking from the outside.
We are changing to a new stock control system and when that is completed I will post the full list here.

A party with a 3 letter acronym comprised of 3 consonants making unsubstantiated threats towards PL?

2 months later
#627 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Cutting yet another test playfield on our CNC machine.
» YouTube video

I'm not sure if it's been answered or not. Is the plan to cut the production pfs in house? Assume painting and perhaps clear coating will be done ex situ?

#651 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The trolling was uncalled for and in very bad taste, but Mike's knee-jerk reaction to immediately stop posting and run away to Facebook isn't exactly the most mature reaction either.
Just report the post and it'll get moderated, which is exactly what happened - but now he'll never know because he ran off instantly. I'll miss the updates and discussion as well, but if you can't be bothered to use the tools the site offers and you just leave, I can't exactly express much sympathy and I'm certainly not going to kiss any rings or beg.

Whilst I'd generally agree, this was really unpleasant and tasteless. I can see why Mike is upset. Hopefully he returns.

#723 2 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Robin is working on a system that allows the OP of a thread to delete posts or block members in that thread. That system would resolve this issue once and for all.

This is an absolutely terrible idea.

It will however get manufacturers and those in the industry more involved in Pinside, but probably not in a way or manner that many would wish for ...

There's a moderator team for a reason. Sometimes they do their job well, sometimes not. However, throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as I'd consider the above, would be a huge step back.

It's so ripe for abuse, and if implemented will certainly be abused.

#724 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Actually both Stern and JJP disallow their employees from posting on forums, both because they don't want things leaked and because they don't want their employees engaging in arguments. The day after Keith Elwin announced he accepted a job for Stern, his account was de-activated:
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/sk8ball

JJP guys post on Pinside, and about their machines, too.

Keith (coder) and Eric (designer of game #4).

1 week later
#792 2 years ago

If mm vs cm is such an issue, then divide by 10 ... it's metric, it's not as if there is obtuse factoring.

#799 2 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Damn straight. In the 1970's they were teaching us metrics & the USA was supposed to be changing over.
Total BS, we should be metric here, it just plain makes more sense.

Protectionism, unfortunately.

1 month later
#986 1 year ago

Is the placing of the transformer in the traditional bottom of cabinet location, or elsewhere? Made me wonder, with the photo of the board right next to it.

#988 1 year ago

Does it have any problems with EMI, or is the toroidal a big enough improvement in that regard that it's a non-issue?

#990 1 year ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Mike has been doing this long enough, electrically wise, the game will be over engineered

Don't doubt it. Not being an electrical engineer myself, I'm just curious how, at least in the mentioned Midway, the transformer either did or didn't impart any significant EMI.

#994 1 year ago

Metal apron on a $5k machine?

Careful!

You'll give Gary a heart attack.

1 week later
#1053 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Few dots ....for some reason I was expecting colour, I must have missed that minor detail.
» YouTube video

It was stated that it would be colour LED before, I think.

I'm assuming they're just trying to get as much done as possible before colouring, unless plans have changed.

#1057 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

That was what we had developed when our programmer died. We have been scrambling to catch up since.

Is there a chance that you don't have enough time to do colouring before release and the machine ships monochrome, updated to colour later?

#1062 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Almost none. Actually, the orange DMD REALLY suits this machine.
There is no technical ability built into the boardset for colour.

Shame, but understandable given the circumstances.

Hopefully the various purveyors of third party colour LED solutions will be able to provide something.

1 week later
#1137 1 year ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Doesn't seem like the side rails cover much more than the stern lollipop rails would.

Agree, and personally I prefer the angular look. The cabinet itself is angular, after all.

#1156 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Looks great, and i love Thunderbirds , i think i was 4 when i saw it first.
So you have to be 50+ to now what it is.
It fits pinball very well with als the thunderbirds gadgets.
When wil you show us a playfield pic Mike.

The majority of people over 25 are likely to know what it is in the UK, even if they haven't watched it. Certainly almost anyone in their 30s will have seen it at some point.

#1161 1 year ago

Interview definitely worth listening to.

Timestamps:

0:12:12 Preamble about HomePin & the interview
0:16:00 Interview starts
1:30:00 Interview ends
1.39.00 Discussion of the interview ends

2 weeks later
#1251 1 year ago

Photo appears to be oversaturated, but it's a lot more colourful than i was expecting.

1 week later
#1416 1 year ago

The art is better than I expected.

Re: the monochrome DMD - yeah, it's a shame, but shit happens and it's understandable that it didn't happen in the end, given the circumstances.

I doubt pin2DMD / pinballSP etc will have too much difficulty making their existing systems compatible with it, so it's not like it's stuck with monochrome.

#1421 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

No more pics or videos from pinfest? It would be cool to see more of the game.

Starts in a few hours. East coast of Australia on Saturday.

#1481 1 year ago

It looks good, and build quality doesn't seem likely to be an issue.

I think the big Thunderbird 2 model if reduced in size by 20-30% will offer drastically better visual balance. Glad to hear it will be addressed.

Just hope the extra time to fine tune the shots will be taken.

#1548 1 year ago

The proof of the machine will be in the response to the issues uncovered and how long it takes.

There being issues and oversights on first showing shouldn't be that unexpected and is excusable.

We've seen numerous times with other machines and companies that issues often take forever to be rectified, or aren't at all whilst their PR line claims otherwise as they desperately try to cover them up and deny that they exist.

Let's hope for a positive response in this instance.

#1581 1 year ago

On another note:

As a result of a collaboration between gianfri and Homepin it's now possible to resurrect Zaccaria G2s with dead MPU boards, or to keep a spare.

Get those mothballed beauties working.

ec49a62e332e2fe5dbe8a9fd85929b13f79bd400 (resized).jpg

#1585 1 year ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

" imitation is the best form of flattery " ?

I don't think the implication is imitation.

It's that the code is directly lifted, without attribution.

AFAIK Ben isn't upset that his code may be being used, he's upset that it may not be being credited.

#1599 1 year ago
Quoted from Russell:

Painted habitrails, last seen on...Roller Coaster Tycoon? Am I forgetting some other examples?
Also, last time we saw palm trees on a playfield...Surf N' Safari?

Powder coated. WOZ ECLE has emerald green habit rails.

Palm trees seem to be a popular add on for Jurassic Park and Congo. I bought some for JP, but haven't added them.

#1607 1 year ago
Quoted from russdx:

I dont understand the "runs pc hardware" is not a commercial solution? nearly ALL systems these days are just a big system on chip running linux (ie i'm pretty sure this is what Sterns new system is) Its how every thing is done these days. And if future games are going to use lcd it will HAVE to be done this way!

I think the objection is more that there should be greater stability with an embedded microcontroller system, or SoCs, fewer points of failure, bug-fixing easier, software stack much smaller and replacement of faulty hardware much cheaper than run of the mill x86 PC hardware.

#1612 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

I’m any event this was pretty clear ip theft prior to Ben posting that correspondence. Wow. Just wow. Launching a product off someone else’s work when they clearly shunned you for ethical reasons. Not cool.

There's no problem with him using it. He has to attribute it though. Hence:

Quoted from benheck:

I just want an attribution for our team that made this boardset and code possible.

Just because some individuals are constantly threatening lawsuits in pinball, it doesn't mean everyone's like this.

A lot of coders and engineers are actually happy and flattered that their work is used by others, even potential competitors. But they typically take a rather poor view of not being credited, and others passing their code off as original work.

#1656 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

On both the 787 and 737max yes you would.
And the a320neo as well.
In fact Boeing is one of the largest procurers of m.2 drives and soaks up tons of DDR3 (still).

It's rather disingenuous to say that they use stock PC parts.

They use stuff intended for embedded use, which is vastly more expensive, and theoretically reliable than the standard consumer or even enterprise stuff. The display controllers particularly.

#1661 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

That is factually untrue but what would I know. I only fly the damn things

No. It's not.

As an example, AMD launched their latest series of embedded display controllers (aimed at aviation among other things) days ago.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/embedded-g-series

Good luck finding those or similar competing products in a 'PC'.

#1819 1 year ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

EDIT: Removed a negative post.
I get that Mikes been through a *lot* the last couple of years and I appreciate he has done everything he can to get TAG to market as best he could, but he really needs to come up with a better response to the allegations than 'Oh it was OK to copy', 'I didn't copy it' and 'I don't care'.

Proof of the pudding will be in what appears in the presumably 'non-cobbled' final product.

If what Mike says is true about the final boardset, then either the machine is going to take a very long time to reach completion as he was caught with his pants down and now has to do a totally different board system; the one he's laid out ... or he's telling the truth and these were indeed just cobbled prototypes, the production targeted boards are in an advanced state, and the first machines will probably ship early next year after refinements.

If it's the former rather than the latter, I can't imagine the machine appearing before end of Q2 '18 at earliest. So it will be quite clear which was the case.

Will also be quite interesting to see whether the no-home-updates feature remains in place.

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

For the record, I am not trying to stop Homepin from selling their game. I just want our team to be acknowledged for the work we did which allowed Mike to go from dead engineer to working prototype in less than a year.

Regardless of what Mike has or hasn't done, why, his attitude, and what were or are his intentions, it's great that you feel like that, and aren't seeking your pound of flesh.

There's so much vindictiveness in this hobby / industry, and ultimately everyone loses from it.

1 week later
#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Explain it away any way you want but the US is horrid for manufacturers. High Corp tax rate, unions, federal and local municipalities with their hands in the pot, etc. There are always ways. And Holden closed because the cars were shit. They made their way here rebranded and they were utter garbage.

The US has cheap labour, and little regulation, plus vastly cheaper land. Australia has none of those things.

Well, there is some cheap land, but certainly nowhere you'd base a reasonably complex assembly, engineering and manufacturing facility with remotely reasonable infrastructure.

You'd also be looking at much higher transport rates and longer lead times for containers going to the US and Europe. Plus many raw materials would be a lot more expensive.

Re: corporate tax in the US. It's not much lower in Australia, much more difficult to avoid, and it's also the last thing any start up cares about, as you only pay it when you make a profit.

3 months later
#2063 1 year ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Nitro will have one at the Northwest Pinball Show June 8-10 in Tacoma, WA.

Have you heard whether production machines will have standard pfs that are printed and cleared ... or will they be like the proto shown in September that had a whitewood pf and printed makrolon over the top?

Haven't seen this addressed anywhere.

4 weeks later
#2103 1 year ago

Better import them quickly, then, before Trump starts a (wider) trade war with China.

#2113 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The trade war with europe is a bigger problem.
Al american pinball machines get a extra 30% tax .
Because 30% from Stern and JJP goes to europe they will get a hard time, sales wil drop hard.
Small boutigue like Spooky and Dutch and homepin will rise.They sell less over sea.
Lets hope this trade war is not going to happen.
Sorry for my bad english.

Where have you seen that the EU is planning a 30% retaliatory tariff on pinball / amusement machines?

Not that it would surprise me. It's very easy for the EU to target specific industries which will cause havoc on local / regional level, both politically and economically in the US.

2 weeks later
#2156 1 year ago

Parallax fully open sourced both the Propeller hardware and Spin software and PGL.

There are probably very cheap OEM versions available in China ... and it's more than powerful enough for a DMD game.

Still, bit of a relic. I think most would have expected ARM or possibly MIPS as it's Chinese.

Regardless of the Heck question, it does seem very strange they were unable or unwilling to add the capability to update the firmware in situ.

That aside, biggest question about the hardware IMO is whether the video output and way the machine talks to the DMD are fairly standard. If so, adding a colour LED DMD should be relatively easy. If not, then probably orange forever.

#2165 1 year ago
Quoted from Homepin:

TAG uses a standard DMD input stream. One of our DMDs would plug into a WMS machine with no modification.

That's good news.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Be fair here, the brand new Iron maiden is only 1k more msrp. Plus, you are talking about questionable engineering choices, like unnecessarily complicated updates, not some "nice extras".
Maybe a color screen is still considered a extra perk, but I think Thunderbirds might be the only new pin shipping with a mono DMD? The pinball landscape has changed in the 5 or 6 years since you started the game.
I do understand that it costs money, skill, and time to do that stuff, so maybe you are against a rock and a hard place, but don't pretend a 5k MSRP is some kind of amazing savings that justifies that stuff, especially when Ben Heck covered a chunk of your initial R&D.
Just my 2 cents.

Huge economies of scale though, and Stern's cabinets are total crap and quite probably cheaper than what's being used in TAG, despite the latter being MiC.

#2174 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

I can’t help but to think that the longer this machine takes to come out, the more irrelevant it may become?!? Looking at IMDN and even Alice Cooper as the 2 most recent releases, these games playfield artwork, cab artwork, design and shot flow are amazing!! Especially in some recent Stern games.
TAG in comparasion looks old, monochromatic and not a very exciting shot selection. Like you said, trying to reproduce a WMS style machine has worked and you’ve got it on the head....the problem is is everyone else is moving with the times, and as such left TAG or Homepin behind.

The recently announced UK distributor will be selling TAG for £1700 ($2400) less than an Iron Maiden Pro. I'd expect the price delta to be a little lower in mainland Europe. Dunno what it will be in Australia / NZ ... probably similar?

Agreed the price difference is quite small in the US (~$600), and not in TAG's favour.

However, *IF* the game is good, there's certainly a market for it in Europe, purely based on price.

1 month later
#2243 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Arh ok, just didn't want a insert falling out and ball dropping into the cabinet like it did on my ghostbusters

How's that even possible? Was there not a bevel it sat in?

1 month later
#2290 1 year ago

Stargate did it too. Nice touch, though.

Cost of this is absolutely minimal. Given the price of machines these days, it should be done on all of them.

4 weeks later
#2430 1 year ago

It shouldn't be particularly difficult to get an RGB LED DMD and colour it, if and when PinballSp releases his colouring software.

1 week later
#2456 1 year ago

Aside from actual delivery, the main concerns are still code (& updates) and the middle ramp. Other one would be how the printed plastic pf overlay wears / plays, and how much it costs to replace.

Stuff like an RGB LED DMD can be addressed by the community.

If the build quality of the prototypes reflects production machines, much of it looks top notch.

1 week later
#2464 11 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When I was packaging it up, I took some pics of the cool wheeled PF slides. A big upgrade on the norm. Playfield slides in and out nicely.
rd

Nice. Looks like it's better than Capcom or JJP's solution (and obviously Stern's).

#2495 11 months ago
Quoted from Alby:

That’s the answer I’d expect from a person that has a vested interest in selling the machine and making money . Better players than you an myself have said that shots are tight and brick . Everyone must be wrong and you must be right .

I've heard few people say it was 'bricky'. Shots being tight does not make a game bricky. The only shot that I found hard to make was the milk can orbit ... and that's certainly not a brick shot. The right inner orbit which people moan about, once you find the shot, sails up easily ... it certainly doesn't rattle around or catch a tiny bit of the guide and then brick.

#2498 11 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

terrible compared to what? gilligans island is terrible compared to MM .. but try selling MM to a family who want a pin for the kids. Context is important.

Why on earth wouldn't parents be happy for their kids to play MM?

2 weeks later
#2571 11 months ago

I'd strongly suggest you get a ramp replacement and fit it before you take it to any more shows, since Mike says that's one of the early ramp designs ... and most of the complaints are about how bad the ramp is. pinballstar

Re: Canada getting them first ... well, he did ship a container right off the bat, and there appears to be pretty major activity now at the factory, so it's not quite like Heighway. Also, I suppose it's possible the pre-order topper isn't ready yet - though those could be shipped separately. I wouldn't panic yet, but if in 2 or 3 months pre-order customers in Australia still haven't got anything, that would be of major concern.

#2623 11 months ago

Yeah, I paid a lot less shipping a machine from Sydney to the UK ...

Quoted from highwaygames:

We have been importing machines/containers into Australia long time. Its the "door to door" costs you need to look at, not just the part freight costs.
Export from Australia is cheap, importing is different.

#2690 11 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can’t disagree with that. Happened too many times in the past. Lucky for JJP, it bought him enough time to get some outside investment. Heighway wasn’t so “lucky”. Pretty sure everyone has learnt their lesson now. Making pinball is hard and pre-order/go-fund-me pinball sucks.

It was nothing like that with Heighway. Shit was happening YEARS before Alien shipped, even before FTh did.

2 months later
#3094 8 months ago
Quoted from blue95:

Saw this on Facebook today, looks like the ramp is being upgraded https://www.facebook.com/homepin.factory/videos/1101358540030898/

I think impressions would have been rather more favourable if they'd had this metal ramp from the start ...

2 weeks later
#3135 8 months ago
Quoted from highwaygames:

There are a lot of updates we would like to share with the pinball community, especially behind the scenes. Please note;
- a number of updates have taken place to the cabinet, including new metal ramp. For customers who have already received their machines, please contact your distributor who will offer you upgrade kit. These new parts should be shipping from the Homepin factory at the end of this week.
- as previously documented, Homepin has needed to add an additional factory/warehouse and restructure their production. All pre-built machines (as well as partially built) have needed to be upgraded with new parts/improvements and these machines have now been shipped to Australia. Cancelled orders have been resold to other customers.
- some Homepin pre-order customers in Australia will start to receive their orders end of this month, whilst the majority are planned for end of January. Homepin has contacted our office with list of all their direct pre-order customers, and today we have reached out to all with updates. For those who preferred not to work with us or ship their machines directly, we have not contacted you – if you want to join our information network please contact our office.
- in Australia, we have now established a full professional distribution and service network that can support local customers. Final announcements will be made at the end of this week. All Australian Homepin customers will have spare parts, service and support for their Thunderbirds Pinball machines in Australia with next day delivery. Further, Highway has worked with Homepin to offer all pre-order customers an additional 12 months warranty on ALL parts.
Highway has committed to a promotional campaign starting in Australia, including developing retail distribution channels which will see Thunderbirds Pinball machine being advertised on the number one TV channel in Australia for the next 3 months.
- Internationally, we are working with our distribution partners to solve machines damaged in transport, arrange upgrade kits, and to develop full support network in each country we have agents. Your first contact should be your local agent.
Pinfest in Australia went very well where we demonstrated Thunderbirds and collected a number of orders which unfortunately we could not satisfy immediately due to the current production delays. Our problem is not sales, but is on supply – Homepin is working to increase production so that we can satisfy not only existing pre-order customers, but also new orders.
We will stay in touch with regular updates.

Quoted from Ballypinball:

I would wait till you have goods in Australia before wasting that TV advertising money.
Past experience people react straight Away and want product now and ready for Christmas, then it dies in the arse over January as people are away on holidays.
Plus they never remember what the machine is or who from, which creates free sales for every other sellers of machines, so thanks for that in advance.

The two parties are clearly not on good terms, but I think he's given you some good advice here. Until you have product you can ship out immediately, I'm not sure TV advertising money is a very good idea.

1 week later
#3227 7 months ago
Quoted from twitami:

ANyone have this happen? Pretty sure my F and B are reversed. I assume I can just switch the wires around?

Would likely help if you took a photo of the wiring and posted it.

5 months later
#3734 84 days ago
Quoted from RA77:

That 200W ( if true ) is very low power consumption for a pinball.
I am impressed
Anyone done power consumption sums on W/B, JJP and Stern ?
I guess W/B with incandesants would be the most hungry.
I believe power consumption to be an important factor in design/manufacture and guess Mike considered this as well.
Perhaps an interesting topic for another thread.

Stern SAM games vary between 100-150W typically during play. Up to a peak of 200ish when all the lights and coils are firing during multiballs.

I'd assume JJP use more as there is so much more going on. I'd assume Spike games use a bit less as there's so little going on, on most of them.

#3756 81 days ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

good idea in armchair theory but its been covered already numerous times ken.. he has to MAKE whatever he uses.. one cant ship second hand parts into china.
id imagine it was much more practical to cut a sleeve that make a new nylon bushing.

I think he was offering a piece of advice to owners and operators, not suggesting that Mike could use OEM WMS parts.

1 week later
#3885 71 days ago

With decent art and better presentation, I'm sure he could sell a few thousand of those.

#3906 65 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

They remake the Hankin video game tables right? I did a quick search and found a NIB seller asking $2100 for one. If the RTW is in that ballpark I think they would sell pretty nicely.

I suspect it'll be more than that, but significantly less than Thunderbirds.

1 week later
#3979 53 days ago

Re: beer. I'm surprised American Pinball didn't do Oktoberfest with an OEM version in mind, that they could have branded to order. I'd have thought some breweries or bar / pub operators would be all over that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Deadpool Premium Out of stock
Flip N Out Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside