Topic Stats

• 4,305 posts
  • 399 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by oldskool1969
  • Topic is favorited by 167 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 768 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

16178194 (resized).jpg
taiwanmike (resized).jpg
4D4A3346-0315-415D-B99B-68DA9933C456 (resized).jpeg
inside (resized).jpg
outside (resized).jpg
84584653_635900340515446_416112507699068928_o (resized).jpg
2DCC7FE2-B3A0-42C0-8990-9954D1BCA5D7_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
974F5C1E-9523-4DAA-9379-A3000F8A641C (resized).jpeg
83059929_160014771965732_3982039144204337152_n (resized).jpg
60BE80EE-1964-4CB7-8493-93C2283952B6 (resized).jpeg
F18DDEF4-7FB5-46E6-B018-5CD180662B86 (resized).jpeg
20200111_063452 (resized).jpg
81781551_618896412215839_6759575124225032192_n (resized).jpg
screen-capture-4 (resized).png
73209863_556397155132432_4970388802087419904_n (resized).jpg
Kung Fu Panda (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #29 Images of flipper coils being assembled in the Homepin factory. Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #31 Images of prototype Thunderbirds mechs. Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #46 MPU Testing: Image and Video Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #47 Pinball Cab CNC Tests: Images and Video Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #61 Fliipper Coil pictorial Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #122 Delivery trucks being loaded in China Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #130 Factory tour video Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #131 Flipper links & other assembly parts Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #142 The plastic used for flipper links Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Post #153 Flipper buttons Posted by Homepin (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pipes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3190 1 year ago

I had some issues with a game I received recently that occurred during shipping. Mike was very courteous and extremely helpful and sent me the parts I needed the next day no questions asked. I actually reached out to get some insight on how I should fix the problem and wasn't expecting to be send new parts. He went above and beyond as far as I'm concerned. Much appreciated Mike!

1 month later
#3388 1 year ago

I just installed the new metal ramp as well. It's certainly a huge improvement over the original flimsy plastic one. Looks a lot nicer too.

3 months later
#3666 1 year ago
Quoted from pinsidenoob:

Because I've followed the entire production process on Aussie Arcade and this thread has been mentioned multiple times. I flick through this thread every week to see if there's any news. Homepin discussion is not permissible on AA these days, so I posted my review here.

That was a great review. Thanks for sharing that. As a former owner of the game I certainly agree with just about every single thing you said. I had one for about 4 months and recently sold it. I had about 70 games on it and got to the point where I just didn't want to play it anymore…like literally ever. I just didn't get any enjoyment out of it, it wasn't satisfying to play. It felt like a frustrating and tedious chore, to the point where I often wouldn't even finish a game before turning it off. There's nothing that gives you an adrenaline rush, no sense of accomplishment or purpose to what you are doing. The last month I had it, I never turned it on.
Some positives are definitely the build of the cabinet itself. The hinged speaker panel in the backbox is pretty neat. The stand to prop up the playfield is a nice touch. The ramp upgrade is a definite improvement and helps in the gameplay and aesthetic department. The plastic lockdown bar is 100% ridiculous unfortunately. They screwed up the one thing that you are physically connected with the entire time you play the game. It makes the whole experience feel cheap. There's no getting around that. There's an automatic pause and moment of confusion as soon as someone lays their hands on the game for the first time. I won't even talk about the flipper buttons because those can be changed at least.

I suppose if you are a huge fan of the theme you will be able to look past some of the negative aspects of the game - some, not all. There's just too much to overcome with theme alone, even for the most die-hard Thunderbirds enthusiast IMO. I may be wrong of course.

Can anyone else that owns the game chime in with an honest assessment of the gameplay? I've been following this thread for some time and don't recall reading any reviews at all. Just wondering what others think about it.

#3680 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

These are preorders from 5 years ago. The guys have been patiently awaiting their games with no recourse.

It's really unimaginable that people have been waiting this long. I got one on a whim a few months ago. Having it in my house and reading through this thread during that time did not sit well with me at all. There's a laundry list of reasons why I got rid of it but this was at the top for sure. There's just so much negativity surrounding the game, the company and of course Mike. I hope everyone will get their games soon and be able to move on from this whole mess.

#3703 1 year ago
Quoted from JimmyA:

Anyone putting shit on the machine (and there are lots here) - show us what you have built...

That's literally the dumbest comment I have ever read on any forum ever in my life. First post too.

So, just so we're clear, only positive reviews and opinions are allowed unless you have actually built a pinball machine with your own hands...? Does that apply to just pinball machines in your world or do you need to have experience building cars and toasters as well to have an opinion on those things?

#3713 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

It’s close now, working with freight company to sort clearance. Hope to get this week but maybe early next week. Will post a review after a few games. Cheers Gavin aka Dude

Awesome - looking forward to your review.

1 week later
#3716 1 year ago

Nobody actually discusses the gameplay or anything aside from waiting for their game to arrive. Why are people not talking about the game. Surely there are people that own it - how do you like it? Is it a good game? Are you satisfied with your purchase? Stuff like that. It would be nice to hear some feedback. Anyone?

I have strong opinions on it after having owned one and it would be nice to hear what other owners think about it.

#3719 1 year ago
Quoted from twitami:

If your ever in MD, come by and play it

I never want to see one again.

1 week later
#3735 1 year ago

Yup, mine was the same as well. Insert lighting was very dim. Just the way it is.

#3737 1 year ago

The insert LED's are on boards.

#3758 1 year ago
Quoted from twitami:

So an airball broke one of my spotlights. How and where to I get a replacement for this?

Email China.

#3763 1 year ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Or just replace the whole game with a fun game

I fully endorse this message.

#3767 1 year ago

What were the other themes Mike had kicking around other than Thunderbirds? Apparently there were a few he was considering and ended up going with this one. Not that it really matters if you can’t design a proper playfield that is fun and has satisfying shots.

#3778 1 year ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

Perhaps he should go into pack and send business and be a huge success? A different prosperous avenue

Perhaps not.

This is how mine arrived...

Looks like he has since redesigned the backbox without that ridiculous hump sticking out of the front. The only purpose it seemed to serve was to put unnecessary pressure on the glass when folded down. So dumb.
4F382EE6-4230-4088-847C-985483FE8399 (resized).jpegAFAFFCDE-5C00-487C-BA19-EDF3B2846AFC (resized).jpegDD222395-910A-413F-A9B2-782C0385DBBE (resized).jpeg

#3780 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

its obvious from the heavy dents in the rails yours had a belting from a side impact. probably a forklift accident.
You cant defend against a lazy idiot smashing around on 4 ton of vehicle without shipping them in full metal crates.
Accidents happen in transport.

No, that's not correct at all actually. The box it came in was completely in tact...not a scratch on it. The backbox has this stupid hump on the front so when it is folded down the entire weight of it rests on top of the glass instead of the side rails like in a normal game - aka, every single other game ever made. All they did was put a foam piece between the hump and the glass and strapped it tight. All of that pressure was focused solely on the glass itself. When the glass gave out and the backbox punched through, the paper thin side rails then got dented as a result...both sides exactly where the top of the backbox was resting when I unboxed it.

Please don't make excuses and put the blame on others for Mike's incompetence.

#3783 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So what's the resolution?

Although he also blamed the shipping company, Mike did send me new side rails when I emailed him.

If you notice, the newer games do not have this hump on the backbox anymore...Hmm, I wonder why?

What Mike failed to mention however, is the fact that the side rails are glued to the sides of the cab. Needless to say, getting the old ones off was super fun. FYI, they WILL NOT come off without damaging the cabinet decals. Good luck to anyone that ever has to do this. I had to use the side rail as a guide to cut the decal with an x-acto knife so when I pulled the rails off, only the part of the decal covered by the rails peeled off the cab. When the new rails went on you couldn't tell there wasn't any artwork underneath. Being that they're so paper thin and cheap I realized why the rails had to be glued. They flex and bend and don't sit tight to the cab. What an experience.

#3788 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

sounds like all side rails.. especially the WMS/BLY era. They are attached with two sided tape.. that is best removed with heat and a putty blade. The side armor is thin and off the cabinet you can even bend or kink it just holding it unsupported.
Older rails have screw nails or newer sterns have screws... but the old tape method has been around for agees

I don’t know about that. I’ve never seen anything like it before. This is what I did to them taking them off the cab. If they were any thinner you could make cliffy protectors out of them. It actually feels like you’re holding a piece of plastic they are so light. These rails are definitely thinner than the ones on my Shadow for instance. Not even close if you compare to my Sterns.
You can see that they used some kind of adhesive, not tape. I tried applying heat to soften it up but I could not stop the decal from peeling off with it. I may have been able to save the decal if they had used a double sided tape instead. Ugh.
11D9C859-1BA3-493D-AB69-12F0DE9E2AA0 (resized).jpegFFD3FA65-DCA4-4BF3-A736-329CBDD570D7 (resized).jpeg

#3792 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

how thin are the rails? the original spec was 1mm same as stern .. whats he used?

Haha...no. The Homepin rails are practically sheet metal, like what metal wall studs are made of. Ridiculous.
You may think I’m exaggerating but I’m really not. Just reporting the facts.

One looks more than twice the thickness of the other. Possibly close to three times thicker. I’ll let you guess which one is which.
07D30B01-3159-41C0-B03A-D0D6E590021F (resized).jpeg8AAFDB60-3AAD-4FB6-A920-94E6E6BEA833 (resized).jpeg

#3795 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

they look to be 0.5-0.7mm thick which is mirror blade thickness, way to thin for rails on a arcade pinball

Yes! Good comparison. That’s exactly what they are like.

Quoted from 27dnast:

Man, the Bro crew gave the game a scathing review - their commentary on the buttons was hilarious.

That review was 100% accurate. It’s hard to put into words exactly how bad the game is but they did a great job. I felt Nick was actually holding back a bit, lol.

#3798 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

yeah they look thin for sure. Grab the ruler or vernier or something for me? .. how many /64th inch are they ? or mm if you prefer..

Yeah, I’ll grab a ruler and check later on but does it really matter? Whether it’s 0.5mm or 0.7mm, either way it’s complete garbage.

#3801 1 year ago

Curious what the Sterns are then. They are at least double the thickness of the Chinese ones. The pic I posted shows the side rail off my TWD for comparison.

Just to be clear, Thunderbirds sucks regardless. No side rails would ever change that.

#3802 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

that looks to be 0.9mm as generally sheet steel is 0.7mm (common for mirror blades)...

I guess that coat of black paint is the only thing separating it from being a mirror blade then.

#3807 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Who are "the Bro crew" ?

It should start playing right at the Thunderbirds review. To all you "puppet aficionados" - Enjoy!

#3831 1 year ago

Joe, I really hope you’re not stuck with too many of those in your inventory. Your only hope is to set up a booth at a puppet aficionados expo somewhere.

#3834 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the game could benefit from more cowbell.

To be fair, I think every game could benefit from more cowbell.

#3847 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

...It is pretty transparent at this point that there are people who want it...

Besides the people that paid blindly for it years ago...who else wants it? The game costs $6700 + 13% tax here in Canada. It took me 4 months to get rid of mine with 71 plays for $4000. In a fit of pure desperation I attempted several trades during that time as well, only to be laughed at...literally. I offered it to a friend of mine to keep until I figured out what I was going to do with it and he wanted no part of it. Pretty sure he called me a horrible name during that discussion if I remember correctly. To actually want this game I believe you either need to be so nostalgic for the theme that nothing else matters or you just never played another pinball machine in your entire life and have nothing else to compare it to. The look on peoples faces when they lay their hands on that plastic lockdown bar and touch those belly button-esque flipper buttons for the first time is truly a testament to the poor choices that were made in the design of this game. As was mentioned in the Bro review, "it's the only pinball machine that actively makes you not want to touch it." So true. You're already turned off before even pressing the start button - and that's when the gong-show really begins. The ramp to nowhere offers only frustration whether it's the saran wrap or stainless version. The only bit of excitement comes when the ball is trickling up the ramp and you're not sure if it'll make it into one of those super satisfying rollovers or come barreling back SDTM. The wireforms look somewhat interesting at first glance until you realize their only purpose is to release locked balls back into play. WTF? There's zero flow, no satisfying shots, the sounds are repetitive and grate on you by the time you get to the second ball and the DMD makes me want to claw my eyes out. I hated playing it so much that I rarely managed to get to the second ball before turning the game off. I do like the little stand in the cab to prop up the playfield though....good job on that Mike!
Living with this thing for 4 months and having experienced 71 painfully frustrating and unsatisfying plays on it, I can honestly say that Thunderbirds is, without a shadow of a doubt, THE WORST game I have ever played. It was a celebration when it left and that had nothing to do with the fact that I managed to even get anything for it. I just wanted it out of my life. It's hard to explain but it actually bothers me that it even exists. There's just no excuse to make a game this bad in 2019. If you subscribe to the motto that 'all pinball is fun'......I think you really need to play this game. You'll never utter that phrase again.

#3864 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I might actually frame this as one of the best things I have ever read.

So my comments on the worst game ever made got the attention of someone that contributes to the creation of, in my opinion, the best games being made right now...go figure

#3884 1 year ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

So, I waited in a line 6 people deep to play this at Pinfest. Honestly, it felt a lot like playing an EM. I had fun! But I had the type of fun I would have on a random 1970s EM that I can pick up for $400 with a better theme and more nostalgia. It may have been set up poorly, but it felt like a really floaty widebody EM in a narrow body. The animations looked okay and the playfield was full of static toys. I'll give Homepin credit for pumping out a game but I just couldn't get into it.
One nitpick you can't get from pictures is that it just seemed... dirty to me on the inside. There were not a lot of ball tracks or anything, but it was full of black dust when you looked up close at the playfield. I am guessing that the rubbers or parts are disintegrating in there pretty quick. This would be more of a problem if people were putting games on it all the time like they were at the show.
All in all, I'd have a hard time choosing between a random well working EM or this.

I agree with this assessment aside from the 'fun' part. I never felt even a hint of that. I suppose if I were to have just played it once or twice at a show my level of hostility towards it would not be near the point where it's at now. Your perspective changes greatly once you spend $5000 USD on it. Had I not managed to sell it to that poor bastard, I'm sure a straight up trade for a 1970's beat to shit EM would have been in the cards for me.

#3893 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

here you go haters. new material to hate on. cue the same 10 people over and over ... and ... go

Not at all. Focusing on anything other than Thunderbirds is a step in the right direction. After 78 pages of turmoil, disappointment and constant anguish, finally this thread is morphing into something more positive. I'm really enjoying the ACNC discussion actually.

#3903 1 year ago

Now if Mike could just figure out how to make a knock-off of a good pinball machine, he may be on to something.

1 week later
#3908 1 year ago
Quoted from swinks:

...as for the Ride the wave, I don't get the interest in these things - yeah would try it once or twice at a arcade, but to own it for a home machine no zzzzzzzzzz

I agree but it's still better than owning a Thunderbirds. Those are my positive words for the day.

#3936 1 year ago

I hope moving a ball up and down on a stick becomes popular enough so we don't have to be subjected to anymore of his pinball creations.

#3942 1 year ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

no its not single channel. there is indeed background and sound.

I noticed you seem to chime in with all the advertising and answers - are you some sort of spokesperson for Homepin? How exactly are you affiliated with the company? Just curious. I'm not familiar with the whole backstory here.

1 week later
#3985 12 months ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I would like a code change to give it another crack to see IF code can change a donkey.

Lyman couldn't save this game.

1 month later
#3999 10 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

Indeed, I suggested using raspberry pi / lcd so you could add all the lcd assets which appeared to be a big complaint from most people plus most people would probably prefer working with the mission framework then a custom one with probably less features.
Was only a idea, you could sell as an upgrade kit.

Have you played it?

#4001 10 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

Yes but only 1 game at a loud crowded show, so dint really get a feel for it.

I only ask because I owned one and think it's the worst game ever made. There's nothing worth salvaging from that mess. The playfield layout is trash so the gameplay obviously sucks. You can throw that playfield in a JJP cab and add all the bling you want but that game will never be fun. Ever.

#4018 10 months ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Anyone cheerleading this game has a motive.

Well said.

#4026 10 months ago

The topper needs to be one of those puppet heads with a big hand attached to it that reaches out and slaps you once in a while as it laughs......otherwise I'm not interested. Every time you press the start button, for instance, you should be slapped by the topper I think.

Wish Mike was still here to confirm if this is a possibility.

3 weeks later
#4053 10 months ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

At least you only have to hit the ramp 11 times if it is KFP.
not like International Rescue, 19 times

Spelling 'International Rescue' is the equivalent to getting to Valinor. Such an epic journey.

2 months later
#4074 7 months ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

First (I think) image of the new Homepin machine aimed "primarily" but "not only" at the Chinese market.

When is the official unveiling of this new abomination?

#4075 7 months ago
Quoted from frolic:

I doubt this is about selling pinballs to home buyers.

In that case the most logical name for the company would certainly have to be Homepin.

#4088 7 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Better good DMD then shitty LCD.

Have you actually seen what's on a Thunderbirds DMD?

#4095 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Most pins at Flipout had between 600-1,000 games played on them TBAG had 26 all weekend
but 100 games Started

That speaks volumes right there. It offers zero enjoyment. Playing through a full 3-ball game is a feat in mental and emotional endurance. By the time you drain the second ball you're left with an overwhelming desire to hug your kids and tell friends and family that you love them. That explains your audits.

2 months later
#4127 4 months ago

Exactly what I expected.

#4131 4 months ago
Quoted from pipes:

Exactly what I expected.

Curious how that gets a downvote from you phil-lee? You don't agree that it's what I expected? You must have some divine powers to know my thoughts.

#4143 4 months ago

phil-lee - Kind of curious how it took you all of 28 seconds to downvote 2 of my posts in two separate threads. How do you explain that?

See anything interesting with one of the posts in question? Practice what you preach buddy. I’m not surprised though, you’re ‘exactly what I expected’.

F18DDEF4-7FB5-46E6-B018-5CD180662B86 (resized).jpeg60BE80EE-1964-4CB7-8493-93C2283952B6 (resized).jpeg
#4145 4 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I cant see the Chinese market caring what pinside thinks.

That works both ways I’m sure.

#4148 4 months ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I wish I would get down voted, I feel left out

You just have to say something that rubs phil-lee the wrong way and be prepared for a flurry of downvotes in multiple threads within a minute. Enjoy.

#4156 4 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

...pinball people really are special.

Don't sell yourself short Doug, you and Mike are extra special.

#4158 4 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

Thunderbirds was a couple hundred dollars less than a Stern Pro, it came with a crappy layout, a crappy code, crappy buttons and a plastic lock bar, I don't call that affordable, I call it crappy.
But if you a referring to the resell value of a Thunderbirds, then yes that can be called affordable for sure (at the expense of the poor seller !)

Yup. After you're done downvoting this post @phil-lee, please click on my reviews and read what I wrote about owning it and trying to sell it.

#4165 4 months ago
Quoted from blue95:

If they put together an entertaining machine, they could do good business

If there is a positive buried somewhere beneath this entire TBAG debacle it’s that Mike literally could not produce anything worse if he tried. You can only go up from here.

#4168 4 months ago

Happy Chinese New Year Mike!!

1 week later
#4202 4 months ago

Is nan still waiting on her Thunderbirds order?

#4211 4 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

...but that wont stop you will it...

No.

Quoted from wiredoug:

...keep kicking

Yes.

#4221 3 months ago

Is that guy taking pre-orders too?

#4247 3 months ago

With Doug here it feels like Mike never left.

#4252 3 months ago

Beautifully written Doug. That really tugs at the heartstrings.

#4254 3 months ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

daww.. sniffle..
being sent replacement parts when the courier smashed your game clearly didnt?. You were bailed out at mikes cost when the courier smashed up your game but no no you're apparently his new enemy for life hey? or do you just like trolling vendors? time to move on pinball man.. find a new war for your keyboard to play in.

The courier didn't smash the game, it was Mike’s shitty packing job and that stupid hump he designed on the front of the backbox that went through the glass. The box didn’t have a scratch on it. Always placing the blame elsewhere Doug. Not surprising.
If you fold the backbox down, that hump touches the glass so the full weight of the backbox rests squarely on the glass. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea? You or Mike? Stop with the bullshit Doug.

#4268 3 months ago

Looking back at my original post about the condition of my game when it arrived, it's hilarious how far Doug goes to defend his buddy. Take a trip down memory lane with me Doug. Read all your bullshit responses...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/76#post-4968941

Did you forget about all that when you wrote this ridiculous nonsense?

Quoted from wiredoug:

daww.. sniffle..
being sent replacement parts when the courier smashed your game clearly didnt?. You were bailed out at mikes cost when the courier smashed up your game but no no you're apparently his new enemy for life hey? or do you just like trolling vendors? time to move on pinball man.. find a new war for your keyboard to play in.

#4273 3 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

in saying that he can't come back to Aus now as he has lost 95% of his aussie support base.

So Doug makes up 5% of his support base? Thought he had a bigger stake than that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 230.00
Tools
PinDoc Restorations
$ 245.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 27.99
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 199.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 445.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pipes.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside