Untitled (resized).png
hplockbar (resized).jpg
hpbuttons (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_121939 (resized).jpg
16178194 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #29 Images of flipper coils being assembled in the Homepin factory. Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #31 Images of prototype Thunderbirds mechs. Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #46 MPU Testing: Image and Video Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #47 Pinball Cab CNC Tests: Images and Video Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #61 Fliipper Coil pictorial Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #122 Delivery trucks being loaded in China Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #130 Factory tour video Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #131 Flipper links & other assembly parts Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #142 The plastic used for flipper links Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Post #153 Flipper buttons Posted by Homepin (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1619 6 years ago

Can I offer a bit of design feedback, because having scrutinised the pictures I can see two potential long term problems with the layout straight off the bat. One of these should be a relatively easy fix; the other probably needs more of a rethink.

Point one: the Thunderbird 2 drop ramp. Assuming balls aren't going to get stuck under this, the metal edges of the ramp at the bottom are completely exposed. We had an issue for a short while during Alien development with ball scratching until we'd isolated the surface that was doing it - you're going to get the same thing here from ball hits to that ramp edge, and that will translate into playfield damage. The edge also looks low enough to cause horrific airballs. My advice: raise the height of the ramp edges, and attach a blue square rubber pad on either side that overlaps the front and protects the edge and the ball from each other. (George Gomez uses these a lot.) Problem solved.

Point two: there is nothing protecting the FAB1 shot wall from the activity of the pops close to it. This is never a good design idea. Go look up any game on the IPDB, and the pops are always surrounded by rubber or surfaces with plenty of give as much as possible, and metal is kept either a greater distance away or else is at a much more oblique angle to that of any ball hitting it. The pops on this game are going to be slamming into that guide wall, and especially since the wall is curved to create the dynamic of the shot, if it develops dent damage over time it's going to screw the shot up and ruin the game. This absolutely needs to be addressed in my opinion, even if it means taking out a pop and creating a secluded area of bounceback rubbers to create more bumper activity and provide a safe channel for the ball to leave the area.

1 week later
#1938 6 years ago

I don't see any representation of the pop bumpers on that CAD drawing, I wonder if they're going to address that problem now.

8 months later
#2444 5 years ago

Will be interested to get to grips with the game at UKPinfest next month. I get a strong Gottlieb vibe from the layout, in a 'late alphanumeric Ray Tanzer' way.

1 month later
#2767 5 years ago

Well, I've given TAG a good play at the Daventry show and you know what? It's pretty good fun. Definitely an acquired taste; there's nothing else like it on the market today and the closest companies in terms of playfield design would be Alvin G or Technoplay. It's not complex, but neither is it as simple and basic as it appears either, and it left a good first impression for being immediate to get to grips with and leaving you with little difficulty in knowing what to shoot for. Honestly, as far as first play on the machine goes, I liked TAG more than either Houdini or JJP Pirates, though it's definitely rougher around the edges with more of a 'first draft'-ness about it, not unlike how Full Throttle had for some people.

Pros: Good casual or family game. Unique layout. No handholding required. Plenty of simple objectives to achieve, definitely more to it than Jetsons. Fun ramps and makeable shots. Despite not being a flow game, it's a decent one to play by instinct.

Flaws: Not for you if you like conventional flow as none of the shots really lead anywhere that way. Cheesy art makes it look cheaper than it should do. Audio quality is rough, at least under Show conditions, Long-term play is uncertain and nobody is pretending the game is deep. Flipper buttons feel spongy. Still not a fan of the pops close to the guide wall. Airballs a lot.

#2775 5 years ago

The orange DMD, while obviously looking dated, didn't bother me in the slightest on this game; I seldom had to look up at it. Everything you need to know is there on the playfield in some form. But even deep games like AC/DC and TWD have managed perfectly well with a DMD as they knew how to prioritise what goes on it, and let the basic rule of 'if it flashes, shoot it ASAP' fill in any blanks. Getting to grips with the newest LCD-equipped games, this is art that frequently is being ignored or lost to the detriment of the game to the point that I'm surprised just how well Alien actually does balance things in comparison, sometimes. I may after the show write up a new thread of dos and don'ts of what I've learned about LCD integration that should honestly be self-explanatory to anyone with DMD experience.

#2819 5 years ago
Quoted from mrWol64:

I finished watching the presentation on twitch,... next pin not licensed,.. despite Mike trying not to say it,.. sounds like it might be the “Legend of Monkey”... but could be I read the signals badly
homepin way off base with that guess?

I guessed EXACTLY the same thing.

#2840 5 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

I get that you have no care about what's going on here...but better to not rub it in the faces of those IN THIS THREAD, that he has a second machine, that you're interested in, when the guys in Australia haven't even received their first after more than 5yrs.....
How's that..better response for you...put it in a bit more perspective?? Maybe go jump in the TBL and Alien thread next mate!

The designer of Alien had the same guess. :p

1 week later
#2865 5 years ago
Quoted from mrWol64:

Then he had better be careful he doesn’t get the offer and rant I copped,.. how dare very he

I went and quoted the wrong post didn't I, it was meant to be guessing the second game's theme. I put it to Mike after the Pinfest talk that it was Saiyu-Ki, the Monkey King legend. He didn't comment.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress?tu=EalaDubhSidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.