Untitled (resized).png
hplockbar (resized).jpg
hpbuttons (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_121939 (resized).jpg
16178194 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 91.
#4051 4 years ago

At least you only have to hit the ramp 11 times if it is KFP.
not like International Rescue, 19 times

#4052 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Since the 2nd game was teased as catering to asian market instead of the american market I'm very intrigued what that would be.
Some Jackie Chan Pin? Any Anime? Some K-Pop/ J-Pop Idol Band?
(JPop shoud design a JPop game! )

I heard it was a generic surfing themed game.

#4053 4 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

At least you only have to hit the ramp 11 times if it is KFP.
not like International Rescue, 19 times

Spelling 'International Rescue' is the equivalent to getting to Valinor. Such an epic journey.

1 month later
#4054 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Interesting![quoted image]

Nah not really.

Has he gone bankrupt yet?

1 month later
#4055 4 years ago

Wow. I just finished reading through this entire thread (well, I started on pg. 25, but close enough). What a crazy read! It seems like Mike was his own worst-enemy in a lot of ways. I am glad that it finally seems like everyone who pre-ordered got their games. That's true isn't it? I hope they've gotten them by now. A few things stuck out to me while reading:

1) I just don't understand how Mike could make such a poor playing pinball machine? It sounds like the shots, layout, and rules code are almost universally regarded by everyone as terrible. You would think that as someone who, in Mike's own words, fixed and maintained pinball machines for over 30 years, he would know that his game wasn't very fun to play. Most of the people who say they like Tbirds, would probably like almost any pinball machine I'd imagine. If an owner/family loves playing TBRDS, imagine how much fun they'd have with a really good pinball machine. And the thing is, no one argues that Mike didn't work hard, and no one argues that setting up that factory was a feat in itself, that's not the issue. (Although I don't understand how Spooky can finish 2 pins a day with fewer employees, and Mike struggles with even 1) The real issue is that the game just isn't really fun apparently. I feel kinda bad because someone (I assume Mike) did design the thing, and I hate being critical of another's efforts and art, but come on how could a game like this get out of the prototype stages?

2) It doesn't make a lot of sense to try and sell pinball machines to the Asian market, but then give your machine a theme that only resonates in Commonwealth countries, and with a limited number of North Americans. I don't get it. I understand the next pin will be China-themed, but why wasn't his first one? Since he stated that's the market he really wanted anyway. This brings up something else that I've been thinking about. I know the Chinese don't know what pinball is, but what about Pachinko? Its huge in Japan, so I'd have to imagine people in China have at least heard of it. What if someone designed a sort of hybrid pinball/pachinko machine. Maybe it'd be a pachinko with flippers or something. Perhaps that would be the ticket to breaking into China and Asia? Pachinko is pinball's cousin anyway, so making a hybrid would sorta be like re-merging the two games back together.

3) I know Mike stated many times he couldn't afford to / didn't want to hire a PR person. But its one of those things where having a friendly, and personally/emotionally un-invested person to handle social media and customer/potential-customer interactions will pay for itself in the long run. In the short term, you will pay more salary out, but in the long term you will build goodwill and improve your brand image, ultimately resulting in more sales and more profits and more games! A social media/marketing rep for Homepin wouldn't have make a bunch of false claims (which is apparently what Mike thinks PR people do), a PR Rep could simply take the burden off of Mike public-wise and help him build his image. This is basic business stuff, that a lot of companies miss. Look long term, not short term, when it comes to cost cuttings and benefits.

Well, those were just the main thoughts that popped into head during the 50+ pages of reading I did! I wonder if there will be any new developments to come.

#4056 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Wow. I just finished reading through this entire thread (well, I started on pg. 25, but close enough). What a crazy read! It seems like Mike was his own worst-enemy in a lot of ways. I am glad that it finally seems like everyone who pre-ordered got their games. That's true isn't it? I hope they've gotten them by now. A few things stuck out to me while reading:

I could be wrong, but not all pre-orders have been delivered

#4057 4 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I could be wrong, but not all pre-orders have been delivered

I know of one guy when last I spoke to him has not received his game. So answer is No unless he steps up here and says to the contrary.

#4058 4 years ago

repairing / owning pinball does not make you a good designer lol 2 completely different things!

#4059 4 years ago

Still pre orders waiting about 12. Mike hopes to have them ready to ship in a month. Still no word on topper or new code I was told was ready in Feb, when I air freighted mine. Who knows or cares anymore, I just hope the remaining pre orders get their games.

#4060 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Still pre orders waiting about 12. Mike hopes to have them ready to ship in a month. Still no word on topper or new code I was told was ready in Feb, when I air freighted mine. Who knows or cares anymore, I just hope the remaining pre orders get their games.

Btw how many pre orders were there on the beginning?

#4061 4 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

Btw how many pre orders were there on the beginning?

Considering the definition of pre order was changed by Mike. I think there might of been around 20 original and maybe upto another 20 preorders who came in after the original cut off.

#4063 4 years ago

30% non delivery sounds harsh

#4064 4 years ago

But but...didn't Mike exclaim loudly that all the preorder machines were built and sitting, ready to go...you just had to pay that freight fee?

#4065 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

But but...didn't Mike exclaim loudly that all the preorder machines were built and sitting, ready to go...you just had to pay that freight fee?

Guess so. So that may explain the reason no supply. But I also recall the original deal was free shipping and then only when space became available on a container. Surely there's be a container or two shipped to Oz by now?

Maybe the saying "slow boat from China" is true

#4066 4 years ago

First (I think) image of the new Homepin machine aimed "primarily" but "not only" at the Chinese market.

Unsure if the title is actually 中国僵尸 / Zhōngguó jiāngshī (English translation: Chinese Zombies) or if it's just a description (see symbols on backglass, dmd and twice on the front) as there appears to be another, more central, logo that has been blurred out.

中国僵尸中国僵尸

#4067 4 years ago

Is that a proper flipper button?

#4068 4 years ago

Translation: Chinese Zombies

#4069 4 years ago

Because the Chinese like frivolous and expensive dalliances just as much as westerners?

#4070 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Because the Chinese like frivolous and expensive dalliances just as much as westerners?

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-middle-class-is-exploding-2016-8

#4071 4 years ago

I doubt this is about selling pinballs to home buyers. I'd imagine operating equipment on location is an exploding business though.

#4072 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

repairing / owning pinball does not make you a good designer lol 2 completely different things!

Right, but someone who enjoys playing pinball would surely be able to recognize a good game from a bad one, wouldn't they? Obviously, there is always the matter of personal taste, but in the case of Tbirds it seems like most players take an instant dislike to it. I wouldn't want to attempt to design a pin myself, but I can easily tell the fun pins from the not so fun ones. There are always outliers, but pinheads seem to generally agree when a pin is really awesome or when its really not. So I would have thought Mike would have been able to tell that his game wasn't so hot.

#4073 4 years ago

So the Ice Cold Surfers game still going?

#4074 4 years ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

First (I think) image of the new Homepin machine aimed "primarily" but "not only" at the Chinese market.

When is the official unveiling of this new abomination?

#4075 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I doubt this is about selling pinballs to home buyers.

In that case the most logical name for the company would certainly have to be Homepin.

#4076 4 years ago

Are they taking pre orders for the new machine?

#4077 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

2) It doesn't make a lot of sense to try and sell pinball machines to the Asian market, but then give your machine a theme that only resonates in Commonwealth countries, and with a limited number of North Americans. I don't get it. I understand the next pin will be China-themed, but why wasn't his first one? Since he stated that's the market he really wanted anyway. This brings up something else that I've been thinking about. I know the Chinese don't know what pinball is, but what about Pachinko? Its huge in Japan, so I'd have to imagine people in China have at least heard of it. What if someone designed a sort of hybrid pinball/pachinko machine. Maybe it'd be a pachinko with flippers or something. Perhaps that would be the ticket to breaking into China and Asia? Pachinko is pinball's cousin anyway, so making a hybrid would sorta be like re-merging the two games back together.

Pachinko is gambling, like slot machines or video poker in the U.S. and is only popular in Japan, not other parts of Asia. Gambling is also illegal in China (with the exception of places like Macau and HK), so trying to introduce something like pachinko into China wouldn't be prudent.

#4078 4 years ago

It's something Jiangshi. Jiangshi is the traditional Chinese folklore equivalent of a vampire zombie that jumps around

#4079 4 years ago

First of I'm glad he keeps his business running. That means he'll still eventually ship those Thunderbirds preorders.

Second I'm happy that someone tries to cater themes targetting outside the US market, so we get more variety and choice...

...saying this I'd thought he'd do a Kung-Fu (Jackie Chan?) machine. Or some Anime.
(So something that is not US centric but would still be bought from a lot of western people.)

Not too sure about his one.

#4080 4 years ago

Lol...still using a DMD!! Idiot! Even Haggis...(the real and only Aussie Manufacturer) is using a LCD!!

#4081 4 years ago

Finally got onto one of these today. It looked very lonely and unloved at Melbourne Flipout. Only game without a player let alone a queue. I got bored very quickly, not as quick as Timbo who walked off half way through my second ball. Weird game, flippers felt like an old Williams 25volt system with a built in delay. Like the artwork I guess.

#4082 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Lol...still using a DMD!! Idiot! Even Haggis...(the real and only Aussie Manufacturer) is using a LCD!!

Better good DMD then shitty LCD.

#4083 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

What?

#4084 4 years ago

To his credit he is still developing games faster than deeproot and their 10 million dollars a month !

#4085 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

To his credit he is still developing games faster than deeproot and their 10 million dollars a month !

Yeah...but have you seen the game mate!! Lol

#4086 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

but it took him 5years, 4months, 3 weeks, 2 days and 1hr to start delivering game one and then more time for fixes and was going to do a code update but that has gone quiet

at least Deeproot hasn't taken people's money, Mike did and still hasn't delivered

#4087 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

but it took him 5years, 4months, 3 weeks, 2 days and 1hr to start delivering game one and then more time for fixes and was going to do a code update but that has gone quiet
at least Deeproot hasn't taken people's money, Mike did and still hasn't delivered

It is worth a reminder that the millions they're burning through did come from somewhere. It's likely inevitable that people will be hurt financially if they have no viable business ... and certainly it's not a good look for the pinball industry, if that happens.

#4088 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Have you actually seen what's on a Thunderbirds DMD?

#4089 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Mike said lots of things.....most were lies.

#4090 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Have you actually seen what's on a Thunderbirds DMD?

Imagine THAT on a LCD.

#4091 4 years ago

Played TBirds for the first time yesterday at Melbourne Pin Expo, what a steaming pile. I've been hesitant to be too critical, but wow, there simply are no redeeming features on the pin. Played two balls and walked away, glad I finally got my hands on one, but no thanks!! Kudos to Homepin in making their very first pin, but they have a long long way to go to match the quality of other small/boutique companies. Build quality seemed decent, I actually don't mind the theme, but gameplay was terrible. And the flipper buttons? The one thing that connects the player to the machine... terrible decision. Hire some legitimate experienced people and maybe theirs hope, but not when there are so many better options out there.

#4092 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Played TBirds for the first time yesterday at Melbourne Pin Expo, what a steaming pile. I've been hesitant to be too critical, but wow, there simply are no redeeming features on the pin. Played two balls and walked away, glad I finally got my hands on one, but no thanks!! Kudos to Homepin in making their very first pin, but they have a long long way to go to match the quality of other small/boutique companies. Build quality seemed decent, I actually don't mind the theme, but gameplay was terrible. And the flipper buttons? The one thing that connects the player to the machine... terrible decision. Hire some legitimate experienced people and maybe theirs hope, but not when there are so many better options out there.

Yeah, I think a big part of the problem is that Mike is literally the only guy at Homepin who's into pinball, or who even knows anything about it. At least that's the impression I got from watching the factory-tour video that he did with that guy on youtube. Usually at boutique/startup pinball companies almost everyone on the team is a pinhead.

And to make matters worse, the only real pinball machine that the factory workers have access to, and can compare TBirds against, is The Getaway. And while I personally like The Getaway quite a bit, if I could only show someone one example of a modern pinball machine, I don't think that'd be the one I'd choose. I would think that you'd really want a selection of a few different pins, at least one of which was made in the 21st century. In order to help his workers wrap their heads around pinball.

And the sad thing is, based on what I've seen, Mike really has been putting everything into this project/company. But without any experienced people on his team, this is what you get.

#4093 4 years ago

I think its a smart move to tackle the chinees market with a chinees pinball machine.
If he is lucky he can make it for years.
For the chinees pinball is new just like us 70 years ago.

#4094 4 years ago

Most pins at Flipout had between 600-1,000 games played on them TBAG had 26 all weekend
but 100 games Started

#4095 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Most pins at Flipout had between 600-1,000 games played on them TBAG had 26 all weekend
but 100 games Started

That speaks volumes right there. It offers zero enjoyment. Playing through a full 3-ball game is a feat in mental and emotional endurance. By the time you drain the second ball you're left with an overwhelming desire to hug your kids and tell friends and family that you love them. That explains your audits.

#4096 4 years ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

Unsure if the title is actually 中国僵尸 / Zhōngguó jiāngshī (English translation: Chinese Zombies) or if it's just a description (see symbols on backglass, dmd and twice on the front) as there appears to be another, more central, logo that has been blurred out.
[quoted image]

Looks like a generic pinball you get from AliBaba.com

#4097 4 years ago

Any news on the ICB clone ?!

1 week later
#4098 4 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Any news on the ICB clone ?!

Yes it comes with a Free Thunderbirds Pinball

#4099 4 years ago

Last of the preorder pins have finally left the factory. Now have to wait for them to all be delivered before Mike will start on our toppers. Sadly no new code on horizon, usual bs.

Posting here rather than in a FS thread. Doug you might like Mike’s attitude but from a customers point of view it sucks. No point going into details but he has definitely burnt his bridges with me and many other customers. I like Spooky’s attitude, they alway put their customers first, their customer service is fantastic whereas Mike picks emails to respond to and constantly justifying his forever changing position. I hate the “it’s everyone else’s fault but mine” attitude.

#4100 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Last of the preorder pins have finally left the factory. Now have to wait for them to all be delivered.

Gavin can you please supply the cargo ship and tracking as i am very interested in this part of the journey! I think it was 2 years ago things were at this stage for the preorder supply!

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/82?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.