Untitled (resized).png
hplockbar (resized).jpg
hpbuttons (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200808_121939 (resized).jpg
16178194 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

33 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 91.
#3801 4 years ago

Curious what the Sterns are then. They are at least double the thickness of the Chinese ones. The pic I posted shows the side rail off my TWD for comparison.

Just to be clear, Thunderbirds sucks regardless. No side rails would ever change that.

#3802 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

that looks to be 0.9mm as generally sheet steel is 0.7mm (common for mirror blades)...

I guess that coat of black paint is the only thing separating it from being a mirror blade then.

#3803 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Nothing but the finest quality Chineseum® in those side rails.

Plenty of Chineseum in your Stern Guardians also.

#3804 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Plenty of Chineseum in your Stern Guardians also.

Except Guardians is actually fun...unlike Thunderturds.

Also, metal thickness doesn't mean shit if the material is too soft and ductile. You don't want draw quality material on a part like this.

#3805 4 years ago

Thunderbirds is Fun, what are we all doing Making Fun of it?

It has more Fun than many other games we talk about here

#3806 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The legend of Thunder Turds grows!
Man, the Bro crew gave the game a scathing review - their commentary on the buttons was hilarious.

Who are "the Bro crew" ?

#3807 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Who are "the Bro crew" ?

It should start playing right at the Thunderbirds review. To all you "puppet aficionados" - Enjoy!

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Thunderbirds is Fun, what are we all doing Making Fun of it?
It has more Fun than many other games we talk about here

More fun to play then Crocodile Hunter Wayne.....short memory.
6 years and only 2 white woods produced...

#3809 4 years ago

informative review, and glad to see I was not the only person that thought those buttons were crap but like Mike stated if you don't like them, change them

8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg8824be65f84920aa21dccb4e9acf47da8522de5f (resized).jpg

#3810 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It should start playing right at the Thunderbirds review. To all you "puppet aficionados" - Enjoy!

ThunderTurds is reviews at 1:03.30

Props to KevInBuffalo and @gusphan for being honest across the board with their hot take impressions on all the games they discussed. Their rundown on HomePin’s box of bolts is scathing... but... sounds like it’s well deserved.

#3811 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

ThunderTurds is reviews at 1:03.30
Props to kevinbuffalo and gusphan for being honest across the board with their hot take impressions on all the games they discussed. Their rundown on HomePin’s box of bolts is scathing... but... sounds like it’s well deserved.

they'll probably receive a legal takedown notice from homepins lawyers

#3812 4 years ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

they'll probably receive a legal takedown notice from homepins lawyers

Why?

If you make a product, then it’s open to critique. They aren’t slandering the company... they’re simply giving their take on whether the game is good or not. In this particular case, they say it blows.

Is that a legal misstep? Hardly

#3813 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Why?
If you make a product, then it’s open to critique. They aren’t slandering the company... they’re simply giving their take on whether the game is good or not. In this particular case, they say it blows.
Is that a legal misstep? Hardly

He doesn't like any negative light about the game being public.

#3814 4 years ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

Too bad

#3815 4 years ago

0.9mm if you follow the Shadow line of the hand, if you follow the actual dial hand it’s 0.8mm

AFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).pngAFF856C8-B022-4091-B5B9-6C804FB42F87 (resized).png
#3816 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

0.9mm if you follow the Shadow line of the hand, if you follow the actual dial hand it’s 0.8mm
[quoted image]

So .032" or so.

#3817 4 years ago

for interest the difference you're bickering over is about the thickness of a piece of paper. get on with your lives...

flynny.. ask yourself where the needle would be for 2.1 mm ? you'e not reading the tool right

#3818 4 years ago

game is almost as fun as a dead parrot

#3819 4 years ago

for the people who cant read a dial caliper

dial2 (resized).jpegdial2 (resized).jpeg

#3820 4 years ago

those of you playing along in imperial land .. 1.08mm is approx 0.04

#3821 4 years ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

He should have made a better game

#3822 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

He should have made a better game

please dont feed the trolls. you have the game and every right to your own opinion but he's just making things up with this nonsense.

Honest reviews are no issue its personal attacks and untruths that cause problems not "negative light".

The game is what it is, talk *facts* about it all you like he wont care. Just dont start with personal slander type stuff

#3823 4 years ago

The flipper buttons are normal size but they have a pronounced indent inside them, much more concave than normal.

They really do feel weird.

#3824 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

for interest the difference you're bickering over is about the thickness of a piece of paper. get on with your lives...
flynny.. ask yourself where the needle would be for 2.1 mm ? you'e not reading the tool right

so you must of went to your buddy mike to get the photo to protect him here as you do

no, it's the difference of what is decent to crappy thin gauge - it is 0.9mm which is flimsy for side rails and 1/4 less the thickness of sterns.

#3825 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

please dont feed the trolls. you have the game and every right to your own opinion but he's just making things up with this nonsense.
Honest reviews are no issue its personal attacks and untruths that cause problems not "negative light".
The game is what it is, talk *facts* about it all you like he wont care. Just dont start with personal slander type stuff

shall we dig up all mikes personal attacks,slander and racism homophobia
If it's good for the goose *mike

#3826 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

so you must of went to your buddy mike to get the photo to protect him here as you do
no, it's the difference of what is decent to crappy thin gauge - it is 0.9mm which is flimsy for side rails and 1/4 less the thickness of sterns.

I like facts and pictures. Not bluster. I got pic to prove it was 1.1. But I thought you would have been the one who as able to read a dial scale?

#3827 4 years ago
Quoted from Vintage2:

shall we dig up all mikes personal attacks,slander and racism homophobia
If it's good for the goose *mike

Not relevant to your claim that an attempt would be made to suppress a poor review

#3828 4 years ago

Come play Thunderbirds at Allentown Pinfest this weekend in the PinballSTAR booth !

Can’t make the show and interested in purchasing ? Email Joe at [email protected].

868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg868710A0-56BB-496C-BEDA-7BA0D66E4FB6 (resized).jpeg2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg2102F2C3-3B12-4112-AEFE-6F8EFFF1B965 (resized).jpeg
#3829 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

I like facts and pictures. Not bluster. I got pic to prove it was 1.1. But I thought you would have been the one who as able to read a dial scale?

yeah yeah backerdoug - problem is you can't see the line of the 1mm so it's not accurate and it is easy to give things a slight twist when measuring and it can make somethings thicker than what they are. The way that rail rolled and curled on the previous page - I just don't believe it is 1.1-1.2mm

just have to agree to disagree

#3830 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Come play Thunderbirds at Allentown Pinfest this weekend in the PinballSTAR booth !
[quoted image][quoted image]

Do we have to?

#3831 4 years ago

Joe, I really hope you’re not stuck with too many of those in your inventory. Your only hope is to set up a booth at a puppet aficionados expo somewhere.

#3832 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Joe, I really hope you’re not stuck with too many of those in your inventory. Your only hope is to set up a booth at a puppet aficionados expo somewhere.

He might have to start working at 7-11 if he can't unload them. It's like a scalper loading up on Blue Oyster Cult concert tickets.

#3833 4 years ago

speaking of BOC and thunderbirds ...
the game could benefit from more cowbell.

#3834 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the game could benefit from more cowbell.

To be fair, I think every game could benefit from more cowbell.

#3835 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

yeah yeah backerdoug - problem is you can't see the line of the 1mm so it's not accurate and it is easy to give things a slight twist when measuring and it can make somethings thicker than what they are. The way that rail rolled and curled on the previous page - I just don't believe it is 1.1-1.2mm
just have to agree to disagree

blah blah blah. please dont over estimate my interest in your opinion. the pic was for the other chap.

For anyone else heres another pic so the people can practise engineering 101 and read the dial some more. its kinda handy skill to have when you actually make things and dont spend all day on the ak47 keyboard. note the 0.02mm variation caused by the intentional twist to bring the left scale into the light. ( 0.0007 inches)

59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg59363232_447010972713392_259249182378819584_n (resized).jpg

#3836 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

blah blah blah. please dont over estimate my interest in your opinion. the pic was for the other chap.
For anyone else heres another pic so the people can practise engineering 101 and read the dial some more. its kinda handy skill to have when you actually make things and dont spend all day on the ak47 keyboard. note the 0.02mm variation caused by the intentional twist to bring the left scale into the light. ( 0.0007 inches)
[quoted image]

Does this have anything to due with the fact that Thunderturds is the worst game rated on pinside and honestly It's rated too high at that?

#3837 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

informative review, and glad to see I was not the only person that thought those buttons were crap but like Mike stated if you don't like them, change them
[quoted image]

I played Airplane a stack of times at Pinfest and didn't think at any stage that the button shape was a worry.

#3838 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Does this have anything to due with the fact that Thunderturds is the worst game rated on pinside and honestly It's rated too high at that?

Amazing really! And 2 other newish games in the bottom tier - Jetsons and Dominos.

Is making pinballs hard?

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/page/4

#3839 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

dunno ive never played it . although that loop that doesnt complete irked me no end on the video.

anyway i have a question. why are you so angry vic? you're coming back again and again and going on and on and on being hateful over the same stuff about what is basically ..just someones first attempt at a game? why is it so personal for you man? companies make questionable products all the time . but you seem really hurt by this one? why are you so triggered?

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Is making pinballs hard?

yes its much much much harder than it looks.

#3841 4 years ago

Throwing shade on the width of side rail metal and button feel seems really... desperate.

Thunderbirds isn't for everyone, but it exists and people can buy it. It is pretty transparent at this point that there are people who want it, Homepin and Mike to fail, who breathlessly jump on any even slightly positive comment or experience. Why are you even on the thread? What purpose does it serve to be relentlessly negative?

There's plenty of pins I don't find interesting in the slightest, and you know what? I don't view or post on those threads questioning "how anyone could like this piece of crap" etc. They just exist, the people that like them like them, I don't, and it is what it is.

Being so irrationally negative about something can't be healthy.

#3842 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

Hey Doug, your question above was exactly what crossed my mind not long after Been a long time since using one. Thanks for correcting me

#3843 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Hey Doug, your question above was exactly what crossed my mind not long after Been a long time since using one. Thanks for correcting me

no worries

#3844 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Throwing shade on the width of side rail metal and button feel seems really... desperate.
Thunderbirds isn't for everyone, but it exists and people can buy it. It is pretty transparent at this point that there are people who want it, Homepin and Mike to fail, who breathlessly jump on any even slightly positive comment or experience. Why are you even on the thread? What purpose does it serve to be relentlessly negative?
There's plenty of pins I don't find interesting in the slightest, and you know what? I don't view or post on those threads questioning "how anyone could like this piece of crap" etc. They just exist, the people that like them like them, I don't, and it is what it is.
Being so irrationally negative about something can't be healthy.

Plenty of vested interests and big egos in this thread.

#3845 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezlar:

More fun to play then Crocodile Hunter Wayne.....short memory.
6 years and only 2 white woods produced...

Happy to finish it if you can dig he up and approve art etc etc as i'd like my Prototype and License Fee Back as well

#3846 4 years ago

Excited to play this game at pinfest today. Am approaching with an open mind and will give my opinion today. This thread is gold

#3847 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

...It is pretty transparent at this point that there are people who want it...

Besides the people that paid blindly for it years ago...who else wants it? The game costs $6700 + 13% tax here in Canada. It took me 4 months to get rid of mine with 71 plays for $4000. In a fit of pure desperation I attempted several trades during that time as well, only to be laughed at...literally. I offered it to a friend of mine to keep until I figured out what I was going to do with it and he wanted no part of it. Pretty sure he called me a horrible name during that discussion if I remember correctly. To actually want this game I believe you either need to be so nostalgic for the theme that nothing else matters or you just never played another pinball machine in your entire life and have nothing else to compare it to. The look on peoples faces when they lay their hands on that plastic lockdown bar and touch those belly button-esque flipper buttons for the first time is truly a testament to the poor choices that were made in the design of this game. As was mentioned in the Bro review, "it's the only pinball machine that actively makes you not want to touch it." So true. You're already turned off before even pressing the start button - and that's when the gong-show really begins. The ramp to nowhere offers only frustration whether it's the saran wrap or stainless version. The only bit of excitement comes when the ball is trickling up the ramp and you're not sure if it'll make it into one of those super satisfying rollovers or come barreling back SDTM. The wireforms look somewhat interesting at first glance until you realize their only purpose is to release locked balls back into play. WTF? There's zero flow, no satisfying shots, the sounds are repetitive and grate on you by the time you get to the second ball and the DMD makes me want to claw my eyes out. I hated playing it so much that I rarely managed to get to the second ball before turning the game off. I do like the little stand in the cab to prop up the playfield though....good job on that Mike!
Living with this thing for 4 months and having experienced 71 painfully frustrating and unsatisfying plays on it, I can honestly say that Thunderbirds is, without a shadow of a doubt, THE WORST game I have ever played. It was a celebration when it left and that had nothing to do with the fact that I managed to even get anything for it. I just wanted it out of my life. It's hard to explain but it actually bothers me that it even exists. There's just no excuse to make a game this bad in 2019. If you subscribe to the motto that 'all pinball is fun'......I think you really need to play this game. You'll never utter that phrase again.

#3848 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Besides the people that paid blindly for it years ago...who else wants it? The game costs $6700 + 13% tax here in Canada. It took me 4 months to get rid of mine with 71 plays for $4000. In a fit of pure desperation I attempted several trades during that time as well, only to be laughed at...literally. I offered it to a friend of mine to keep until I figured out what I was going to do with it and he wanted no part of it. Pretty sure he called me a horrible name during that discussion if I remember correctly. To actually want this game I believe you either need to be so nostalgic for the theme that nothing else matters or you just never played another pinball machine in your entire life and have nothing else to compare it to. The look on peoples faces when they lay their hands on that plastic lockdown bar and touch those belly button-esque flipper buttons for the first time is truly a testament to the poor choices that were made in the design of this game. As was mentioned in the Bro review, "it's the only pinball machine that actively makes you not want to touch it." So true. You're already turned off before even pressing the start button - and that's when the gong-show really begins. The ramp to nowhere offers only frustration whether it's the saran wrap or stainless version. The only bit of excitement comes when the ball is trickling up the ramp and you're not sure if it'll make it into one of those super satisfying rollovers or come barreling back SDTM. The wireforms look somewhat interesting at first glance until you realize their only purpose is to release locked balls back into play. WTF? There's zero flow, no satisfying shots, the sounds are repetitive and grate on you by the time you get to the second ball and the DMD makes me want to claw my eyes out. I hated playing it so much that I rarely managed to get to the second ball before turning the game off. I do like the little stand in the cab to prop up the playfield though....good job on that Mike!
Living with this thing for 4 months and having experienced 71 painfully frustrating and unsatisfying plays on it, I can honestly say that Thunderbirds is, without a shadow of a doubt, THE WORST game I have ever played. It was a celebration when it left and that had nothing to do with the fact that I managed to even get anything for it. I just wanted it out of my life. It's hard to explain but it actually bothers me that it even exists. There's just no excuse to make a game this bad in 2019. If you subscribe to the motto that 'all pinball is fun'......I think you really need to play this game. You'll never utter that phrase again.

You couldn't have said it any better. It really is the worst pinball machine ever made.

#3849 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I wonder how the new owner is handling it........#bad decisions

#3850 4 years ago

I'm sure we'll get a few reviews from Pinfest....

There are 4,513 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/77?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.